What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline?

Sign him
14%
Trade him
62%
Deal with it after the season
25%

Total votes: 65

FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:53 pm Good article by Taylor on the Jake situation.

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2024 ... adline-tlh
I see your Taylor article and raise you a Madden article: https://triblive.com/sports/mark-madden ... -guentzel/
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:43 pm
KG wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:53 pm Good article by Taylor on the Jake situation.

I see your Taylor article and raise you a Madden article: https://triblive.com/sports/mark-madden ... -guentzel/
While I may not disagree with some points therein, I don't think citing a Mark Madden article lends much credence to a call, much less a raise...
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

I read both articles. Both sides make compelling arguments. This really is a a huge decision for the franchise.

I lean toward Madden's opinion. I would negotiate with Jakes agent now up to the trade deadline. In the meantime start fielding offers. If he doesn't sign by the deadline you trade him. I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze to play it out with Jake after the season. If he goes to UFA I think he's gone. I don't like the he's our own rental approach. It's not like this team made it to the conference finals and is a legit cup contender. We haven't won a playoff round since 2018. How much longer are we going to just let things play out? We are in no position to let valuable assets walk for nothing.

Negotiate with Hankinson in good faith up until the deadline. If you can't hammer out a contract then trade him to the highest bidder. We could also retain 50% of Jakes contract making him that much more valuable.

So I vote the Madden route, but I think the Pens will go the Taylor route... :scared:
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

KG wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:11 pm

I read both articles. Both sides make compelling arguments. This really is a a huge decision for the franchise.

I lean toward Madden's opinion. I would negotiate with Jakes agent now up to the trade deadline. In the meantime start fielding offers. If he doesn't sign by the deadline you trade him. I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze to play it out with Jake after the season. If he goes to UFA I think he's gone. I don't like the he's our own rental approach. It's not like this team made it to the conference finals and is a legit cup contender. We haven't won a playoff round since 2018. How much longer are we going to just let things play out? We are in no position to let valuable assets walk for nothing.

Negotiate with Hankinson in good faith up until the deadline. If you can't hammer out a contract then trade him to the highest bidder. We could also retain 50% of Jakes contract making him that much more valuable.

So I vote the Madden route, but I think the Pens will go the Taylor route... :scared:
In the past, a franchise counted gate sales as Revenue. Butts in seats. And then came League broadcast rights and profit sharing. Spread the wealth. ***Expansion*** $$$.

Lost in all of this is smart roster control.

If it is Madden V. Taylor, Madden is my vote. Not that it matters.
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

I’m with Maddens opinion. Not that it matters to management.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

If they ride it, lose in 1st rd yet again while continuing to back the hack - Jake will shake.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Maestro wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:17 pm If they ride it, lose in 1st rd yet again while continuing to back the hack - Jake will shake.
I think short of a cup win or a gross overpayment, Jake is gone. Even if they win the cup, I think he sees the writing on the wall and if he wants to win after this season, he’ll probably leave.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

Daniel wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:05 pm
Maestro wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:17 pm If they ride it, lose in 1st rd yet again while continuing to back the hack - Jake will shake.
I think short of a cup win or a gross overpayment, Jake is gone. Even if they win the cup, I think he sees the writing on the wall and if he wants to win after this season, he’ll probably leave.
You're probably right; I was being too optimistic.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

If we win the cup this year I'll happily let Jake walk for nothing after the season. :D
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

KG wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:46 pm
If we win the cup this year I'll happily let Jake walk for nothing after the season. :D
I’ll be greedy. Trade Jake, use the assets to win the cup, sign Jake after the season is over. :fist:
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

I think it all comes down to ultimately keeping Crosby and Sullivan happy. They both like Jake and want him to remain. Right or wrong, it's as simple as that.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Could be worse. The Isles just hired Roy as their head coach! Uncle Lou is 81. Time to wrap it up.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

dark_forces wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:53 pm I think it all comes down to ultimately keeping Crosby and Sullivan happy. They both like Jake and want him to remain. Right or wrong, it's as simple as that.
Anyone in his right mind wants Jake to stay. But that has a price tag and it might be more than we can or should afford.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:38 pm
dark_forces wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:53 pm I think it all comes down to ultimately keeping Crosby and Sullivan happy. They both like Jake and want him to remain. Right or wrong, it's as simple as that.
Anyone in his right mind wants Jake to stay. But that has a price tag and it might be more than we can or should afford.

Yeah. They gonna spend 88 over 8? If not, keep the phone charged. And even then he may not sign. Sounds like he wants to wait and see. That's a dangerous game.
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

Maestro wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:36 pm
Puck-Lurker wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:38 pm
Anyone in his right mind wants Jake to stay. But that has a price tag and it might be more than we can or should

Yeah. They gonna spend 88 over 8? If not, keep the phone charged. And even then he may not sign. Sounds like he wants to wait and see. That's a dangerous game.
88 over 8 is extremely selfish. He’s no William Nylander. I’m getting tired over this we got to keep Crosby and Sullivan happy. Then next year they’ll complain that they only have one scoring line. Gee I wonder why. No money for supporting players.
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

Let me add, I hate when a player holds the team hostage.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Wyopen wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:54 pm Let me add, I hate when a player holds the team hostage.
That's the cost of doing business. If a player wants to serve out his contract and only then do any business - if at all - then that's his right.

On the lower end, there are hordes of league minimum players that take a (relative!) pittance for the value they add to teams. There are very few players indeed that only contribute 1% to a team when dressed and given ice time. If their coach doesn't like what they do, they can end up in the AHL very quickly and scuttle their career or end up as an eternal tweener.
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

I’m hoping, really hoping that Sid the consummate professional, comes to the conclusion that this team needs an overhaul and that trading Jake is in the best interest of the team, if he refuses to sign a team friendly contract. Malkin, Letang, and Rust did it, what makes Jake think he’s better than those three? As is said “either fish or cut bait”.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Wyopen wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:37 am I’m hoping, really hoping that Sid the consummate professional, comes to the conclusion that this team needs an overhaul and that trading Jake is in the best interest of the team, if he refuses to sign a team friendly contract. Malkin, Letang, and Rust did it, what makes Jake think he’s better than those three? As is said “either fish or cut bait”.
Taking Rust out of the equation since he's not on the same level as Malkin, Letang and Jake...Issue is Jake is only 29 whereas Geno and Letang were all in their late 30's and already made their big paydays when their last contracts were negotiated and extended. Jake really hasn't. He's coming off a very team friendly 6 years $6mill AAV contract. He deserves to make as much as he can.

If I'm Jake, I see no reason to re-sign here. Mediocre team with an aged core with minimal support cast. Why should he take a paycut to stay here? That's why Dubas needs to know what Jake's intentions are before the trade deadline. If he says, yeah I'm out, then you trade him to the highest bidder.

Enough with this he's our own rental nonsense. That type of strategy is for cup contenders, not borderline playoff teams who have had minimal to zero playoff success in 6 seasons.
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

“He deserves to make as much as he can”. At 10-11M/yr. Goodbye. Why tie up this much money for a team that will be lucky to a WC? Regarding the core I mentioned, they could have made more on another team, but they love Pittsburgh. So if we sign Jake we’ll remain the oldest team in sports.
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pekkasteele »

Yea, "our own rental" is not correct, a rental can come in and give the team an extra boost, Jake wont to that. A rental makes the team better after the deadline, Jake will not change ANYTHING after the deadline.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Wyopen wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:30 am “He deserves to make as much as he can”. At 10-11M/yr. Goodbye. Why tie up this much money for a team that will be lucky to a WC? Regarding the core I mentioned, they could have made more on another team, but they love Pittsburgh. So if we sign Jake we’ll remain the oldest team in sports.
I agree. I wouldn't sign Jake to that. If that is what he wants then you have to trade him. I'm saying you can't just play out the season and hope they will get hot and then risk losing him in the off-season.

Their record is basically identical to what it was last season. The advanced stats look good, but it comes down to wins and losses. And this team knows how to have heart-breaking losses.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

I'd be willing to sign him to whatever money per year if he'd agree to a 5 year deal, with a limited NMC until year 3. That gets him past the expected extensions of Sid/Geno/Tanger...

Yeah, that definitely edges him out on probably 3 years of high earning contract time. And it would be a difficult decision to make if he feels any fealty to Sid and the team at all - and I would expect that if he asked Sid what he should do he would tell him to do what he thinks is best... that's what I'd say, anyway... But it's a good time to latch on, spend the best years of your career on the wing of one of the best players EVER, who is already past the point of your pending contract in terms of age. I'd do it, but I'm a fan. I wouldn't give up the chance to be in the shadow of a legend over 30 million dollars, especially if I'm given the opportunity to earn 50 million dollars to continue playing beside a legend. You and your kids are set for life. Now set your legacy. Become a legend, Jake.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/wh ... ing-teams/

Nothing really we don't know. Basically if Jake is made available he will be a hot commodity.

We can't pass this opportunity up to re-tool the organization. We are in no position to use Jake as our own rental. Rental to do what? Miss the playoffs again?
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pekkasteele »

KG wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:18 pm https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/wh ... ing-teams/

Nothing really we don't know. Basically if Jake is made available he will be a hot commodity.

We can't pass this opportunity up to re-tool the organization. We are in no position to use Jake as our own rental. Rental to do what? Miss the playoffs again?
Yea, the talk about him being our own rental is just BS, we already have him, just because the Trade deadline passes he will not give us a boost, he will be just the same, status quo.

A rental should come in and boost the team, how can anyone think we will get aboost by not doing anything.