James Neal's stats

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Moving Forward - Decisions Decisions

Post by Jim »

Chirpin' Grinder wrote:No, that's the right Neal. The Neal that shoots better than Hornqvist. The Neal that skates better than Hornqvist. The Neal that passes better than Hornqvist. The Neal that can carry the puck through the neutral zone much better than Hornqvist. And the Neal that is a better back checker than Hornqvist.
Well, you got the shoots better part right at least... 20%
Chirpin' Grinder
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Chirpin' Grinder »

Jim wrote:
Chirpin' Grinder wrote:
Hugo Stiglitz wrote:I know threads go off on tangents and that can be really awesome, but this conversation only has one way to go. How about we get to the topic at hand: Looking forward, not behind.
Good idea Hugo, nice post. I'm game.
Truce...
You got that last one with the inaccurate 20% in though... :evil:

Ok, ok, Lets save the next round of Neal v Hornqvist for May 2016.

:fist:
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Chirpin' Grinder wrote:
Jim wrote:
Chirpin' Grinder wrote:
Hugo Stiglitz wrote:I know threads go off on tangents and that can be really awesome, but this conversation only has one way to go. How about we get to the topic at hand: Looking forward, not behind.
Good idea Hugo, nice post. I'm game.
Truce...
You got that last one with the inaccurate 20% in though... :evil:

Ok, ok, Lets save the next round of Neal v Hornqvist for May 2016.

:fist:
I actually considered deleting it.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

Jim wrote:
DeadPuck wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
DeadPuck wrote:
tfrizz wrote:Strange... according to sportingcharts.com's shot tracking data, their average shot distance is less than 3 feet apart. Neal's average is 28.09ft and Hornqvist's is 25.38ft. Kessel, in comparison, averages 32.19ft.
How many of Neals shots connect versus Hornqvist. Can we compare Bobby Farnhams shots to those players too? I'm super interested in where everyone shoots from...

I'm more interested in where they are effective.
Within the sample size I used (the 2014-15 season + playoffs), Neal scored on 11.02% of his shots and Hornqvist scored on 11.39%.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/icetr ... 2strength=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So you found a sample size that supports your argument.

Let's get real, who is the offensive threat from the entire offensive zone and who is the threat in front of the net?
TARGET MOVED!!! Yep, that just happened.

tfrizz, how DARE you use LAST SEASON'S stats to support your argument? How dare you??? This is an '81 Honda!!!
Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking. I should probably use this season's numbers since the sample size is so much more significant than last season's! :pop:
DeadPuck
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by DeadPuck »

How about sample sizing what James Neal did with Penguins and what Patrick Hornqvist has done with the Penguins.

My bad, I thought it said 2015 post season. I didn't realize it was the whole season. Are you telling me that Neal and Hornqvist are scoring at the same rate from the same areas of the ice?

I'll continue to have dialogue with you, I've foed other individuals who I just flat out don't respect. My apologies if I'm missing pieces to the convo.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

DeadPuck wrote:How about sample sizing what James Neal did with Penguins and what Patrick Hornqvist has done with the Penguins.
You'd be comparing two very different sized samples, making for an invalid comparison. Neal played a total of 237 games with the Pens compared to just 77 for Hornqvist. Their sample sizes from last season are almost identical - 73 games for Neal and 69 games for Hornqvist - which make for a valid comparison. It'd be along the same lines as saying that David Krejci is better than Sidney Crosby because he's scoring 1.75 points per game this season while Crosby's career average is just 1.35 points per game.

The two things you have to ensure when doing comparisons are that (a) the sample sizes are large enough to be significant, and (b) the samples are of comparable size. Once you have those two conditions met, you're in a position to do a valid comparison.
maopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by maopens »

Just accept the FACT that Neal is better at some parts of the game and that Hornqvist is better at some parts of the game.

Neither is a complete player. Each one brings several benefits while also having holes in their games. One plays for Pittsburgh while the other plays for Nashville - and isn't coming back.

If you want to discuss a terribly one-sided deal, strike a match to the Despres vs. Lovejoy debate. That's a much easier sell.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: James Neal's stats

Post by Jim »

NSFW!!!

Neal gets another embellishment call. He just can't help himself.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... 33834.html
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

With the "Kessel sucks get rid of him" talk I wondered how Neal was doing so far this year. It also seems as though the "Hey, you are NO James Neal" label has switched from Hornqvist to Kessel.

This season:
Kessel: 45gp 12-15-27 - He sucks dump him!
J.Neal: 45pg 16-11-27 - hmmm

Since the trade:
Hornqvist: 109 35-39-74 363 SOG
Jim Neal : 112 39-25-64 363 SOG

I thought that the shots on goal being the same was rather odd.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

Wait, you're telling me Hornqvist is out producing Neal since the trade. And he's the only one of the two that'll go to the dirty areas of the ice? Something this team has needed more of since forever?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

ville5 wrote:Wait, you're telling me Hornqvist is out producing Neal since the trade. And he's the only one of the two that'll go to the dirty areas of the ice? Something this team has needed more of since forever?
i am sure that Neal would have more points had he stayed on the Pens. I really thought that the shots being the same was ... not cool, but interesting.