US Olympic Team

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: US Olympic Team

Post by Shakes »

Faceoffs. Maybe flip Backes with Kessel/Parise then?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Perhaps. But then you would need a center on the second unit. The point man (Pavelski) won't take the faceoff and play the point. Maybe get Kesler some power play time...? Good net-front presence...

Maybe Parise on the second unit, JVR on the first. Both are good side of the net guys, puck collectors. JVR sits off to the side of the net and does whatever he wants there for some reason...I never see anyone hit him there (he is a big dude)...JVR with Kesler down low would really be tough to move (until Kesler dives all over the rink) and then distribution skills of Patrick Kane could take over...
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

I'm not worried about the PK because just about every guy can kill, except Kessel and Kane.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

offsides wrote:
columbia wrote:Brooks!.
Maybe I'm missing something, but I just don't get this. Not sure he can keep up with the speed and larger ice. Oh well, I'm sure Brooks will give it all he's got.
Sometimes, actually, often-times, I wonder if people actually watch Orpik play the game. Or, do they just jump on the Orpik hate train because it's the thing to do. Apparently, very few individuals ever listen to the real hockey experts out in the field.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Any word on the captain?
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

columbia wrote:Any word on the captain?
That's a tough decision. I can think of at least 8 guys that are deserving.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Dustin Brown was the captain last time, no?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Whether or not Orpik deserves to be on the team is debatable...but he can skate well. Played on big ice at the 2006 World Championships and 2000 World Juniors...I know that was some time ago, but he can still skate. I think, ultimately, he's an extra for us...but he can play on big ice. And here's the thing too...people worry about the big ice and everything and there's 6 or 7 more feet on your side, sure, but the net isn't any bigger, the scoring zone isn't any bigger...the only thing added to the rink is a gutter...so, ok, you can't ring any one up along the boards on the rush like Orpik likes to do, at least not without adjusting your timing and even then, only in out-numbered situations, but you're still defending the same area...
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Shakes »

MRandall25 wrote:Dustin Brown was the captain last time, no?
Alternate.

Langenbrunner or Suter?
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Yes, Langenbrunner.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Lagenbrunner makes me throw up in my mouth. What a waste he was last time.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

I like the blue line. Would have preferred to see Saad and Okposo amongst the forwards, though I don't know who you cut from that list.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Bobby Ryan speaks:
http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2 ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Really classy comments from him. You know he was seething inside, but he put on a happy face and answered some tough questions.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

meow wrote:Lagenbrunner makes me throw up in my mouth. What a waste he was last time.
I take it you didn't watch. Hopefully you get to see some of the games this time around
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

Btw you can dress 20 skaters and 2 goalies. For whoever asks. That means 2 healthy scratch players and one G.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Mr. Colby wrote:
meow wrote:Lagenbrunner makes me throw up in my mouth. What a waste he was last time.
I take it you didn't watch. Hopefully you get to see some of the games this time around
I saw his two linemates drag him through every single game.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

Man he played on the top line, was a force in front of the net, and scored a couple big goals. He far and away outplayed expectations
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Burke's got a big mouth. Never been a fan...
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Shakes »

Yeah, he didn't need to go over-the-top like that when he knew he was on the record. But that's Burke. I'm not gonna pretend I didn't laugh either.

Re: Langenbrunner, he played well in 2010.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

meow wrote:Bobby Ryan speaks:
http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2 ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Really classy comments from him. You know he was seething inside, but he put on a happy face and answered some tough questions.
He should have made the team. I think, as it is constructed, they are light on goals. One more fast wing who can score would be welcome IMO.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Pitts wrote:

He should have made the team. I think, as it is constructed, they are light on goals. One more fast wing who can score would be welcome IMO.
I agree, but the US brass made a hell of an argument to leave him home. He is one-dimensional. He doesn't make his linemates better. He isn't a constant impact player. He is non-existent at ES.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Beveridge »

I realize that Canada has wayyyyyyyyyyyy more talent to pull from, but I read about reasons Ryan didn't make the team and think that Canada could use all those reasons and plug in James Neal's name (right or wrong).
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Beveridge wrote:I realize that Canada has wayyyyyyyyyyyy more talent to pull from, but I read about reasons Ryan didn't make the team and think that Canada could use all those reasons and plug in James Neal's name (right or wrong).
Very true. About the only thing I can think that Neal has going for him over Ryan is Neal has shown some decent chemistry with Crosby. Kunitz might make the team on that merit, but I highly doubt Neal does.

Edit: That being said, the US obviously tried to build a complete team with some defined roles. Who's to say the Canadians don't just trot out the 20 best players and say "screw chemistry and line combos."
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

meow wrote:
Pitts wrote:

I agree, but the US brass made a hell of an argument to leave him home. He is one-dimensional. He doesn't make his linemates better. He isn't a constant impact player. He is non-existent at ES.
Huh?? The majority of his points are at ES. 28 of 36. In fact, one of the arguments against him was a lack of production on the PP.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

meecrofilm wrote:
meow wrote:
Pitts wrote:

Huh?? The majority of his points are at ES. 28 of 36. In fact, one of the arguments against him was a lack of production on the PP.
You're right, I got my facts bass-ackwards.