LGP Science Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: LGP Science Thread

Post by neophool »

Anyone who even has a remote interest in the universe, or what we're all made of, should watch Carl Sagan's Cosmos if you havn't already. It is incredible, imo. And not just the content, but Carl Sagan is just so amazing you just can't help but get caught up in it all.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I can still remember Comet Hale-Bopp from junior high school. What an amazing comet that was...I was outside every night for weeks looking at it through binocs/telescope
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

shafnutz05 wrote:I can still remember Comet Hale-Bopp from junior high school. What an amazing comet that was...I was outside every night for weeks looking at it through binocs/telescope
That ship behind it was even better.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Corvidae wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:I can still remember Comet Hale-Bopp from junior high school. What an amazing comet that was...I was outside every night for weeks looking at it through binocs/telescope
That ship behind it was even better.
I've got my shoes and my kool-aid. Let's go...
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by wallflower »

Is anyone else planning on watching Through The Wormhole with Morgan Freeman on the Science Channel tonight?

I'm looking forward to it, though I suspect I'll already know most everything they cover...
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

wallflower wrote:Is anyone else planning on watching Through The Wormhole with Morgan Freeman on the Science Channel tonight?

I'm looking forward to it, though I suspect I'll already know most everything they cover...
I don't get the Science Channel. :(
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

I don't have that channel. :(
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

doublem wrote:I don't have that channel. :(
*hugs* We'll be OK... *sniff*
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

Corvidae wrote:
wallflower wrote:Is anyone else planning on watching Through The Wormhole with Morgan Freeman on the Science Channel tonight?

I don't get the Science Channel. :(
Ahhhhh, I posted almost the same thing. :scared: :scared: :scared:
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

haha you guys suck....Verizon FIOS all the way ********!
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by wallflower »

Aw, that makes me so sad for both of you. :(

I love the Science Channel. Especially days when all their programming is Astronomy related. (Though, by now, I think I've seen just about all those shows/documentaries.)
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by wallflower »

shafnutz05 wrote:haha you guys suck....Verizon FIOS all the way ********!
So mean! :P But, yes, FIOS is awesome.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2010/06 ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sleeping In Could Help Teen Drivers Avoid Accidents

Sleep in people.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by bh »

bhaw wrote:I think we had this posted before, but it is very appropriate for this thread... and it's mind blowing...

Part 1
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Part 2
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wow, these are awesome. Thanks!
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by bh »

wallflower wrote:Aw, that makes me so sad for both of you. :(

I love the Science Channel. Especially days when all their programming is Astronomy related. (Though, by now, I think I've seen just about all those shows/documentaries.)
That and "how it's made" are awesome. I love seeing how objects I use everyday are made.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

neophool wrote:Anyone who even has a remote interest in the universe, or what we're all made of, should watch Carl Sagan's Cosmos if you havn't already. It is incredible, imo. And not just the content, but Carl Sagan is just so amazing you just can't help but get caught up in it all.
Carl Sagan is the man. I took an astronomy class in HS and we watched a lot of his videos. They have an almost trippy like quality.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:
neophool wrote:Anyone who even has a remote interest in the universe, or what we're all made of, should watch Carl Sagan's Cosmos if you havn't already. It is incredible, imo. And not just the content, but Carl Sagan is just so amazing you just can't help but get caught up in it all.
Carl Sagan is the man. I took an astronomy class in HS and we watched a lot of his videos. They have an almost trippy like quality.
Well, he did love his weed.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

http://discovermagazine.com/2010/the-br ... -placebos/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Psychologist Says Antidepressants Are Just Fancy Placebos

Hmmmm.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Geezer »

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/06/ ... e-jaguars/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Any of you cologne user types better be careful if you visit South America; at least if you go near the jungle. You may attract something you don't want.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

I love blowing stuff up as much as the next guy, but could this actually work? If it didn't, then there would be no way to contain the oil at all, right? it just sounds like a bad idea
Now he thinks he has a solution to the BP oil spill -- blow the hell out it.

Gayl suggests using the GBU-43 MOAB — known as the “Massive Ordinance Air Burst” or “Mother of All Bombs” — which has been "proven, safe and ‘green", according to Gayl. If a MOAB is unavailable, Gayl says a Vietnam-era Daisy Cutter would also do quite handsomely.

The USMC genius suggests:

Either one … can be enclosed in a simple pressure shell, that is augmented with several tons of liquid oxygen canisters, and lowered to just a few meters above the leaking well head. An oxygen-enhanced MOAB or Daisy Cutter detonated at a water depth of 5,000 feet will indeed have an interesting effect on all the well-related plumbing and equipment that is above, at, and slightly below the sea floor…. The exploding MOAB or Daisy Cutter would have an incredible implosive-sealing effect on oil plumbing within the immediate vicinity of the detonation.
blow it up link
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

3D Holographic Display... totally rad
While a user can't "feel" or "touch" matter the way that a member of Star Fleet might in Star Trek, those who watch the pyramid-shaped InnoVision HoloAd Diamond Series Projector can walk around the display to see its special effects. It uses three displays and reflecting glass plates that are strategically placed to give viewers a look at the moving video -- comprised of multiple objects from multiple perspectives. Objects can even change shape. A similar image that comes to mind is Princess Leia's virtual message in “Star Wars
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

Why do they talk about using a nuclear device to blow up asteroids or knock them off course? A nuclear explosion in space is basically just a big ball of light since there are no air molecules to create heat and shock waves. So how would that work?
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by guiner »

Corvidae wrote:Why do they talk about using a nuclear device to blow up asteroids or knock them off course? A nuclear explosion in space is basically just a big ball of light since there are no air molecules to create heat and shock waves. So how would that work?
oh jeez, that's easy, cuz Bruce Willis will hand dig and deliver it to the center of that asteroid. come on.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

Could someone explain particle "spin" to me without making my brain explode?

Also "flavour" and "color," but those seem even father outside of my realm of understanding.