TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Just another example of a warped twisted sick mind that is out there hiding behind a keyboard.

Re: TV Shows

Post by jaysmiter »

Dickie Dunn wrote: Firefly and Serenity are amazing. Firefly is easily one of my favorite shows of all time, and Serenity works well as a standalone movie, but is incredible as an "end" to the series. Firefly is an awesome show with great characters, engaging storylines, a solid overarching plot, but when it comes down to it the show is worth watching for Nathan Fillion alone. He's fantastic, was born to play the role, and I couldn't imagine anyone else playing Mal. I'd say that its worth you checking out.

If you decide to give it a go, buy or rent the DVDs. The episodes on Hulu (the show was there the last time I checked) are the original broadcast versions of the show, which are a mess. Fox aired the second episode first, skipped numerous episodes, and used the pilot as the last episode they aired. Though Hulu has the episodes in the correct order, the editing Fox did to have the show make some sort of sense during the initial broadcast are still present and extremely unnecessary.
/agree.

The only thing I can add to this is that I saw Serenity before I knew of Firefly...immediately after the movie I went and picked up the DVDs of Firefly. Just an amazing show.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

jaysmiter wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote: Firefly and Serenity are amazing. Firefly is easily one of my favorite shows of all time, and Serenity works well as a standalone movie, but is incredible as an "end" to the series. Firefly is an awesome show with great characters, engaging storylines, a solid overarching plot, but when it comes down to it the show is worth watching for Nathan Fillion alone. He's fantastic, was born to play the role, and I couldn't imagine anyone else playing Mal. I'd say that its worth you checking out.

If you decide to give it a go, buy or rent the DVDs. The episodes on Hulu (the show was there the last time I checked) are the original broadcast versions of the show, which are a mess. Fox aired the second episode first, skipped numerous episodes, and used the pilot as the last episode they aired. Though Hulu has the episodes in the correct order, the editing Fox did to have the show make some sort of sense during the initial broadcast are still present and extremely unnecessary.
/agree.

The only thing I can add to this is that I saw Serenity before I knew of Firefly...immediately after the movie I went and picked up the DVDs of Firefly. Just an amazing show.
Same here. I saw Serenity, thought it was sweet, but felt like I was missing part of the story. Went online, found out what the deal was, and then I went out and picked up Firefly.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

So, who watches Chuck.

I thought this season has been great so far. Can't wait to see how this turns out.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

newarenanow wrote:So, who watches Chuck.

I thought this season has been great so far. Can't wait to see how this turns out.
I'm a big fan of Chuck, and really like how the season is going. unfortunately it's not looking good for the future. Every week it's ratings are getting record lower and lower and apparently JJ Abrahms has a new spy/comedy that NBC has picked up for the upcoming future.

Thanks to all for the headsup on firefly and serenity. I just put the blus on my netflix queue and see they are starting to stream firefly tommorow (better not be an april fools joke)
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

I was in best buy looking around the other day and I saw that murder she wrote has DVD collections. I'm kind of confused what demographic they're going after on that one.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

eddysnake wrote:

I'm a big fan of Chuck, and really like how the season is going. unfortunately it's not looking good for the future. Every week it's ratings are getting record lower and lower and apparently JJ Abrahms has a new spy/comedy that NBC has picked up for the upcoming future.

Thanks to all for the headsup on firefly and serenity. I just put the blus on my netflix queue and see they are starting to stream firefly tommorow (better not be an april fools joke)
I'm a big Chuck fan and have also really enjoyed this season. It would really suck if the show got canceled due to ratings, but what kind of ratings does NBC expect with the time slot they put the show in? It is consistently going against two of the top comedies on CBS and ABC's reality show du jour. Chuck has a dedicated group of fans, it was a struggle to even get NBC to greenlight this season, but its never going to overcome the shows its up against.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Dickie Dunn wrote:
eddysnake wrote:

I'm a big Chuck fan and have also really enjoyed this season. It would really suck if the show got canceled due to ratings, but what kind of ratings does NBC expect with the time slot they put the show in? It is consistently going against two of the top comedies on CBS and ABC's reality show du jour. Chuck has a dedicated group of fans, it was a struggle to even get NBC to greenlight this season, but its never going to overcome the shows its up against.
Yeah, that's the tough part. The time slot it's in sucks vs what it is going up against.

I don't know if DVR gets counted or not, or how the whole ratings thing works, but I usually DVR Chuck and watch the CBS shows. Then on Tuesday, we watch the DVR of Chuck.

I hope it doesn't get cancelled either. It's one of my favorite shows out there. If they can hang on for one more season, I would love it. I know it won't make it much further than that, but if they can get the green light for a season 4 and then are told to "wrap it up" during that season, I'd be fine with that. I just don't want it to end w/o any closure.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

newarenanow wrote:
Yeah, that's the tough part. The time slot it's in sucks vs what it is going up against.
Officially the worst struggle in TV. I hate when a show's time slot changes to be opposite a show I've been dedicated to for years. Every fall, when the TV lineups are announced, I sit down and chart out what is on when, and review potential conflicts. Every year, some show is left hanging. Then I have to prioritize and decided what gets DVR'd and what gets watched in real time.
RJW76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by RJW76 »

Any Mad Men Fans?
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Dickie Dunn wrote:
eddysnake wrote:

I too am a Chuck fan. The way things are going this season they could very easily wrap it up and give us a nice happily ever after just in case there is no next season. It would be a bummer though, the show is very funny and the action is decent. It has the potential to be this generations Get Smart.

John "Trankenstein" Casey is one of the best TV characters ever

upon searching I noticed that both Adam Baldwin (John Casey) and Yvonne Strahovski (Sarah) are voices in Mass Effect 2.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

PensFanInDC wrote: John "Trankenstein" Casey is one of the best TV characters ever
no question about it. I love how he has framed pictures of Reagan in his house!
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

PensFanInDC wrote:upon searching I noticed that both Adam Baldwin (John Casey) and Yvonne Strahovski (Sarah) are voices in Mass Effect 2.
And more importantly, Adam Baldwin throws back to Firefly/Serenity. He was the only reason I gave chuck a chance. I watched the first season then got sick of it.

And yeah, Firefly is my favorite show of all time. Prepare to be disgusted that it didn't get through one season.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Idoit40fans wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:upon searching I noticed that both Adam Baldwin (John Casey) and Yvonne Strahovski (Sarah) are voices in Mass Effect 2.
And more importantly, Adam Baldwin throws back to Firefly/Serenity. He was the only reason I gave chuck a chance. I watched the first season then got sick of it.

And yeah, Firefly is my favorite show of all time. Prepare to be disgusted that it didn't get through one season.
so baldwin and fillion are both on firefly? Why haven't I ever watched this show?
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Thats a great question. Probably because it was on Fox and Fox ruins lives.
sj?
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by sj? »

The Big Bang Theory
2 1/2 Men
Lost
Parenthood
Modern Family
Couger Town
Grey's Anatomy
Triple D
Amazing Race
danisu21
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by danisu21 »

Brothers and Sisters
HIMYM
The Big Bang Theory
Glee
Community
Parks & Rec
the Office
30 Rock
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kicksave »

I'm watching this week's community right now. Amazing.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by npv708 »

- V
- Pawn Stars
- America: The Story of Us
- The Pacific
- Big Bang Theory
- Life After People
- Eastbound and Down

(I might be a dork)
71Aj66ax87
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by 71Aj66ax87 »

Kicksave wrote:How anyone liked Everyone Loves Raymond is beyond me.
Same here.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

Kicksave wrote:I'm watching this week's community right now. Amazing.
That was a good one. I would have punched those highschool kids.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

RJW76 wrote:Any Mad Men Fans?
Yes. Started watching it last season. Haven't seen the first season yet though. Good stuff.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by npv708 »

MWB wrote:
RJW76 wrote:Any Mad Men Fans?
Yes. Started watching it last season. Haven't seen the first season yet though. Good stuff.
I have a feeling I would love Mad Men, but I barely get to watch a lot anymore. I'll DVD it when its all done, just like I did for the Sopranos.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

i'm watching this week's community right now, DUH
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by tjand72 »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:
i'm watching this week's community right now, DUH
Ah, you beat me to it.

DUH!!!!
centralPAPen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by centralPAPen »

Adam-12. Emergency.

Case Closed. (Tribute to the Fedo-Stinko thread)