Closing the book on 06-07....

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

edog wrote:
doublem wrote:
edog wrote:
veach55 wrote:edog, you are HI-larious! You should call up Daryl Sutter and make that Pfaneuf trade happen. Cheers bud.
Having Phaneuff on the blue line would have solved a lot of problems....like I said, I doubt Calgary makes the deal....
if you trade malkin who is the second line center?
Staal...you know, the guy who will probably win a few Selke Trophies before his career is done....
See thats where you are wrong Staal had a great rookie year but he cant create on his own and needs someone to get him the puck. In a few years he will be a great number two but not now.
gigz51
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Closing the book on 06-07....

Post by gigz51 »

edog wrote:don't jump the gun pitts, you may wish to read my response....
I honestly don't think very many people are reading any responses, not nearly the number of ones that add their ever insightful wisdom stating "edog ur dum, get back to stillernation".
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

To quote the character Mike Logan from old school Law & Order, talking about a suspect dodging questions...

"Tap dance any faster, and he'll win a prize".
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

Pitts wrote:
edog wrote:
Rocco wrote:
edog wrote: now tell me again, how many did he have in the playoffs when it really counted....better still, answer me why he didn't have any goals period....
He ran out of gas. Good to know that regular season points don't count anymore. Nevermind that the Pens wouldn't have been in a position to hit the wall in the playoffs without Malkin's production.
Yet, Staal & Sid didn't & they are of similar age & playing in their first playoffs also.....
That's funny, I don't recall them flying from Magnitogorsk to Helinski, ducking out in an airport, hiding in some nameless apartment for a week, flying to LA, hiding there for a month, flying to Pittsburgh, then attending rookie camp, training camp, suffering a dislocated shoulder, then playing nearly 80-some games of NHL hockey all in about 11 months time.
Hate to tell you also...Staal hit the wall that last month of the season as well. He was lucky enough to have a little in the tank for the playoffs...of course, Jordan also played on the 3rd and 4th line for 1/2 the season.

Malkin overall looked extremely tired.
EagleMorph
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by EagleMorph »

edog wrote:
Rocco wrote:
edog wrote: now tell me again, how many did he have in the playoffs when it really counted....better still, answer me why he didn't have any goals period....
He ran out of gas. Good to know that regular season points don't count anymore. Nevermind that the Pens wouldn't have been in a position to hit the wall in the playoffs without Malkin's production.
Yet, Staal & Sid didn't & they are of similar age & playing in their first playoffs also.....
Staal and Sid have played North American hockey their entire lives. They know the increase in physical play. They've adjusted their games accordingly.

Malkin played in the Super League. The whole reason why Aleksey Morozov is over in the RSL is because of the lack of physical play and the wider ice. That's all Malkin has been used to for 19 years. In his 20th year, he has something completely different thrown at him, and he wore down in the final months.

He'll be even better next year.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

edog wrote:
Rocco wrote:
So what are you saying, 5 games in April>82 games over the course of the season?
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

edog wrote:
doublem wrote:
edog wrote:
veach55 wrote:edog, you are HI-larious! You should call up Daryl Sutter and make that Pfaneuf trade happen. Cheers bud.
Having Phaneuff on the blue line would have solved a lot of problems....like I said, I doubt Calgary makes the deal....
if you trade malkin who is the second line center?
Staal...you know, the guy who will probably win a few Selke Trophies before his career is done....
I love the guy, but he needs to learn how to, you know, pass the puck, before he's penciled in as the number two center.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Kovy27 wrote:
Pitts wrote:
edog wrote:
Rocco wrote:
That's funny, I don't recall them flying from Magnitogorsk to Helinski, ducking out in an airport, hiding in some nameless apartment for a week, flying to LA, hiding there for a month, flying to Pittsburgh, then attending rookie camp, training camp, suffering a dislocated shoulder, then playing nearly 80-some games of NHL hockey all in about 11 months time.
Hate to tell you also...Staal hit the wall that last month of the season as well. He was lucky enough to have a little in the tank for the playoffs...of course, Jordan also played on the 3rd and 4th line for 1/2 the season.

Staal's playoff goals could also be marked up as lucky by virtue of being in the right place at the right time. He lived off Gary Roberts rebounds!! What a loser.
edog

Post by edog »

Pitts wrote:
edog wrote:
Rocco wrote:
:roll: Yeah, Sid & Staal had easy street all the way.....you make it sound like the escape from East Berlin.....so he jumped his team, big deal....this isn't Mogilny we are talking about here whereby he legitimately defected. Malkin can go back to Russia this summer....& as far as the shoulder is concerned, you think he is the only guy in the league who has to play with pain or an injury? It's called mental toughness...
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

edog wrote:
Rocco wrote:
Staal played 30 more games in the OHL than Malkin did in the RSL last season.
edog

Post by edog »

Kovy27 wrote:
Pitts wrote:
edog wrote:
Rocco wrote:

I'll not disagree Staal disappeared the last month, but he sure has hell knew when to turn it back on...

remember too, Staal also played the PK unit in addition to regular shifts....
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

I can't see your responses anymore through all the tears in my eyes from laughing so hard.
edog

Post by edog »

pfim wrote:
edog wrote:
Rocco wrote:
Staal played 30 more games in the OHL than Malkin did in the RSL last season.
then what was the point of Malkin stayng in the RBL last season...
edog

Post by edog »

Pitts wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:
Pitts wrote:
edog wrote:
Rocco wrote: He ran out of gas. Good to know that regular season points don't count anymore. Nevermind that the Pens wouldn't have been in a position to hit the wall in the playoffs without Malkin's production.

Staal's playoff goals could also be marked up as lucky by virtue of being in the right place at the right time. He lived off Gary Roberts rebounds!! What a loser.
Staal played well in both zones. And let's face it, Geno lived off of Sid all season...how many points do you think he would have put up without Sid feeding him? I would say no more than 50.....
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

edog wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:
Pitts wrote:
edog wrote:
Rocco wrote: He ran out of gas. Good to know that regular season points don't count anymore. Nevermind that the Pens wouldn't have been in a position to hit the wall in the playoffs without Malkin's production.

I'll not disagree Staal disappeared the last month, but he sure has hell knew when to turn it back on...

So if he "turned it on", that also means he turned it off at some point. Didn't you accuse/bash Malkin for that? What am I missing here?
edog

Post by edog »

Pitts wrote:
I can't see your responses anymore through all the tears in my eyes from laughing so hard.
or the ignorance in you mind....
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

Three Stars wrote:To quote the character Mike Logan from old school Law & Order, talking about a suspect dodging questions...

"Tap dance any faster, and he'll win a prize".
I'll be honest, I've missed this.
edog

Post by edog »

Rocco wrote:
edog wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:
Pitts wrote:
edog wrote: Yet, Staal & Sid didn't & they are of similar age & playing in their first playoffs also.....

So if he "turned it on", that also means he turned it off at some point. Didn't you accuse/bash Malkin for that? What am I missing here?
No, my point is he found his second wind & performed accordingly...
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

I don't know, ask him.
edog

Post by edog »

gigz51 wrote:
I honestly don't think very many people are reading any responses, not nearly the number of ones that add their ever insightful wisdom stating "edog ur dum, get back to stillernation".
they're not gig, which is why I am having a good time with this thread....
EagleMorph
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by EagleMorph »

edog wrote:
gigz51 wrote:
they're not gig, which is why I am having a good time with this thread....
I'll say it again, since you missed it the first time.

Staal and Sid have played North American hockey their entire lives. They know the increase in physical play. They've adjusted their games accordingly.

Malkin played in the Super League. The whole reason why Aleksey Morozov is over in the RSL is because of the lack of physical play and the wider ice. That's all Malkin has been used to for 19 years. In his 20th year, he has something completely different thrown at him, and he wore down in the final months.

He'll be even better next year.
edog

Post by edog »

pfim wrote:
I don't know, ask him.
I already posted the answer to this question....his agents advised him to stay there so he could cherry pick his way to the Calder.....tells you a lot about his competitive attititude.....
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

Trade Whitney and give him an F? Come on. The guy only put up as many points as Gonchar and improved most of the season and is still very young. Yeah he needs to go...oh brother.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

edog wrote:
gigz51 wrote:Ok, I'm reading a lot of ridiculous responses that are beyond absurd (namely the ones shouting "TROLL!!!!" as opposed to discussing why). I enjoyed reading the grades.

Malkin got a D. Yes I disagree with this, but I see where that's coming from. Malkin has a whole lot of potential and skill, but his lack of strength at times, hinders his ability. How can one person look like a work horse some shifts and send the opposing team bouncing off of him, then get knocked off his skates by the breeze caused by someone leaving the igloo for a smoke break the rest of the game? How much was he hindered by not speaking English? Again, he knew he'd be on an NHL team before long, why not start learning? You can claim that he is good in clutch situations, but why isn't he just as good in non clutch situations? Those can be just as important. Why does he only seem to step it up when the game is in jeopardy? What would happen if Malkin played when they were up by 2 the same way he played if they're down by 1 in the closing minutes?

Whitney's been far from special. Same old same old. He's not using his size, pinches too often, gets caught out of place a lot. But he doesn't take nearly the abuse on here that, say, Orpik does. Why? Whitney puts up points. So he's judging him based off of a defensive standpoint instead of the points. There's a lot more to hockey than points.
gig,
people here are more like Crash than they realize. The fixate on stats alone without taking into consideration the whole player. As you mentioned, Malkin had 3 years to start learning English & he didn't...contrast that to Mario who started taking English lessons when he knew he was coming to an American team. Strike two is his inconsistent play all season. Yes, he has talent, but does he have heart & drive? It appears to me that if the Head Coach calls him out a few times in the media & has to have come-to-Jesus meetings with him, it suggests a lack of drive & underachivement.
The only concern I have with Malkin is what we've seen with AO (to a lesser extent), Zherdev, and Kovalchuk (and what has been Kovalev's problem for a career). The Russian superstars have this adaptation issue where they all thing they are the best players and deserve special treatment. I think Malking has a HUGE benefit playing BEHIND Crosby. It's hard to believe you're the best when the best is sitting next to you every night. But I think a lot of MT's crack down is to prevent this from happening.

But overall, he had a great season. It could have been better, but it also could have been a lot worse (remember that him playing this year was still in question for a while).

So I would give Malking a B because there was room for improvement, but any time you can put over 80 points up, you're doing a good job. He, like Whitney, needs to learn that there is hitting in the NHL and you have to take hits occasionally. I was almost embarassed when the Ottowa radio guys mentioned how Malkin bailed on a breakout when he was about to get hit last night.

NOW he has the chance to define himself. He can go down the path of the problematic Russian superstars and train half-heartedly this off season OR he can get in the gym with Sid every day.
Last edited by bhaw on Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

edog wrote:
pfim wrote:
I don't know, ask him.
I already posted the answer to this question....his agents advised him to stay there so he could cherry pick his way to the Calder.....tells you a lot about his competitive attititude.....
His double-agents?? That commie.

edog = pwned!