Surprised Crosby has not extended yet

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Surprised Crosby has not extended yet

Post by Pitts »

Antonio wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 4:29 pm I don't think he is leaving but I did expect a contract signed within a day or so of the 1st.
I agree with that. Counterpoint is, if he knows he's not leaving and the GM knows he's not leaving, what is the rush?
KBone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by KBone »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 6:32 pm From Twitter: Chris Johnston on the Penguins now that the Crosby extension is close to being done (SDP): "They have to try and win, they have to make some bold trades"
Get a load of this guy...
KBone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by KBone »

What if it happens now....

8/7 (Canada calendar)

at 8:07 PM Eastern

Do it Sid and GMKD!
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

KBone wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:07 pm What if it happens now....

8/7 (Canada calendar)

at 8:07 PM Eastern

Do it Sid and GMKD!
Well, that's come and gone... but there is still time to do it on 8/7 (US) at 8:07 :pop: .
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Soon. :D
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Smith already skating and wearing Rangers gear... what a *****
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:09 am Smith already skating and wearing Rangers gear... what a *****
He couldn't get off the team fast enough. Surprised he's even still in town.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

KG wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:26 am
lemieuxReturns wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:09 am Smith already skating and wearing Rangers gear... what a *****
It's pretty cool that the players can put the teams aside and simply be hockey players together - working out, getting ready for the next go at it.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pitts wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 1:00 pm
It's pretty cool that the players can put the teams aside and simply be hockey players together - working out, getting ready for the next go at it.
Maybe his whole reason for pouting was he really wanted to play with Sid, not Geno. I also didn't even realize Dumo was traded to the Ducks. Apparently, they hadn't sent him gear yet, so Dumo was wearing his Kraken gear inside out wear possible.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 1:08 pm
Pitts wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 1:00 pm
Maybe his whole reason for pouting was he really wanted to play with Sid, not Geno. I also didn't even realize Dumo was traded to the Ducks. Apparently, they hadn't sent him gear yet, so Dumo was wearing his Kraken gear inside out wear possible.
Yea, thats probably it... a fourth liner playing like an AHL bench warmer was probably upset that he was centered by a HOF guy still racking up points.
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pekkasteele »

So, The Atletic reporting it will be 3y $10m/y for Sid.
Last edited by pekkasteele on Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikeys66ers!

Post by mikeys66ers! »

That’s a beauty Aav. 😀
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

pekkasteele wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 5:31 pm So, The Atletic reporting it will be 3y $10m/y for Sid.
Where do we sign?
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:22 pm
pekkasteele wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 5:31 pm So, The Atletic reporting it will be 3y $10m/y for Sid.
Where do we sign?
There has to be an 87 component to it .
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

KG wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 7:29 pm
Where do we sign?
Laddered down salary... 11.3/10/8.7. Avg $10m salary cap hit with last season being 8.7. Profit! :fist:
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

Pitts wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 4:21 pm
Cow_Master66 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 1:35 pm
Pitts wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:42 pm I don't understand the whole Crosby talk going on here. Never once has anyone, Pens management, reporters, friends, family, ever said Crosby would want to leave Pittsburgh. Contrary, Crosby himself has stated repeatedly that he has no intentions of ever donning another jersey and that his intentions since he got here was to end his career here. Crosby is an honest man. Why would anyone second guess him?
Think it's mostly due to team fans that have beaten the drum on his competitiveness and drive to win for all the years realizing he won't have the opportunity to win anymore here. The view that he may WANT to stay but WANT to win more isn't that far-fetched to believe.
It is far-feched to me. Nothing Crosby has ever said or done suggests he would want to win with another team.
I agree. Having said that, we are in uncharted territory internet stranger. There’s a large contingency of fans that say he’s the most competitive player, will do anything to win, etc. Sticking around here another 3-4 years isn’t going to bring him much winning.

Again, I am not saying he is leaving any time soon, but 2 years from now when the end if the line is near and he isn’t even sniffing the playoffs, this topic could come up again.
KBone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by KBone »

Sigwolf wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:40 pm
KG wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 7:29 pm
Where do we sign?
Laddered down salary... 11.3/10/8.7. Avg $10m salary cap hit with last season being 8.7. Profit! :fist:
He could have a $8.7m signing bonus every year and the rest salary. Done.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Cow_Master66 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 9:10 pm
Pitts wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:42 pm I don't understand the whole Crosby talk going on here. Never once has anyone, Pens management, reporters, friends, family, ever said Crosby would want to leave Pittsburgh. Contrary, Crosby himself has stated repeatedly that he has no intentions of ever donning another jersey and that his intentions since he got here was to end his career here. Crosby is an honest man. Why would anyone second guess him?
Think it's mostly due to team fans that have beaten the drum on his competitiveness and drive to win for all the years realizing he won't have the opportunity to win anymore here. The view that he may WANT to stay but WANT to win more isn't that far-fetched to believe.
It is far-feched to me. Nothing Crosby has ever said or done suggests he would want to win with another team.
I agree. Having said that, we are in uncharted territory internet stranger. There’s a large contingency of fans that say he’s the most competitive player, will do anything to win, etc. Sticking around here another 3-4 years isn’t going to bring him much winning.

Again, I am not saying he is leaving any time soon, but 2 years from now when the end if the line is near and he isn’t even sniffing the playoffs, this topic could come up again.
Winning could be something as simple as being a First overall round draft pick, being the youngest Captain in NHL history, having played on the ice with the GOAT, participating in the jersey raising celebration as Captain for a former great and Captain, and, oh yah, won Three Stanley Cups, and other various NHL awards.

Crosby has cemented himself as a Penguins HOF great!

That is a career most NHL players would sell their soul to the devil to claim.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

BigMcK wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 3:18 am
Cow_Master66 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 9:10 pm

Winning could be something as simple as being a First overall round draft pick, being the youngest Captain in NHL history, having played on the ice with the GOAT, participating in the jersey raising celebration as Captain for a former great and Captain, and, oh yah, won Three Stanley Cups, and other various NHL awards.

Crosby has cemented himself as a Penguins HOF great!

That is a career most NHL players would sell their soul to the devil to claim.
I think the bottom line with Crosby is simple. Does he value a 4th cup or a legacy of one team his entire career? That answer might seem easy for us (one team) but we don't know his mindset. No matter what he says, it's from the perspective of today. 2-3 years down the road, he might change his mind and I think we can all agree he's earned the right to choose without any ill will. Today it's rare to play for one team for 20 years, heck, even 30 years ago it was, and I can't see him wanting to leave but one never knows.

That said, if Sid doesn't want to leave I doubt anyone would ask him to waive his NMC. If he does leave, I think most Pens fans would root for that team to win the cup (presuming the Penguins aren't in the playoffs).
ahawk9
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by ahawk9 »

I'm fairly certain he'll sign soon. That doesn't mean that he and the Pens can't chat about a trade to a contender somewhere down the road.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

At this point, hopefully Sid's deal is done and re-signs on his birthday 8-7. If he doesn't then I'm not sure what the hold-up is.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

KG wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 12:26 pm At this point, hopefully Sid's deal is done and re-signs on his birthday 8-7. If he doesn't then I'm not sure what the hold-up is.
I think they know he's going to sign, but he's as superstitious as an athlete could be, so I'm thinking his birthday, or the anniversary of the day he was drafted by Pittsburgh (7-30) could be in the offing as well.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

dark_forces wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 1:50 pm
KG wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 12:26 pm At this point, hopefully Sid's deal is done and re-signs on his birthday 8-7. If he doesn't then I'm not sure what the hold-up is.
I think they know he's going to sign, but he's as superstitious as an athlete could be, so I'm thinking his birthday, or the anniversary of the day he was drafted by Pittsburgh (7-30) could be in the offing as well.
Taylor Haase brought up his contract the other day, stating it isn't a slam dunk, easy process as some think. The biggest point for a new Sid deal is, he's 36 now. That means, depending on how the contract is configured, it could end up falling under 35+ rules that could affect the Penguins cap hit should Crosby retire early. Front-loading and signing bonuses are the two big ones that could make his contract a bit more difficult to iron out.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 4:41 pm
On one hand...I'll be shocked if Sid gets MORE than 8.7M. Does he deserve it? Absolutely. But, he also knows the more he takes, the less money available to fill out the team and be competitive. On the other hand....hahaha...who's being competitive in the next few years? Show me the money!!!!