Welcome to LetsGoPens.com!

Please consider registering and joining the conversation.

Surprised Crosby has not extended yet

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Posts: 23738
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Surprised Crosby has not extended yet

Post by Pitts »

Antonio wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 4:29 pm I don't think he is leaving but I did expect a contract signed within a day or so of the 1st.
I agree with that. Counterpoint is, if he knows he's not leaving and the GM knows he's not leaving, what is the rush?
KBone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
Posts: 436
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:02 pm
Location: Not Pittsburgh : (

Re: Surprised Crosby has not extended yet

Post by KBone »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 6:32 pm From Twitter: Chris Johnston on the Penguins now that the Crosby extension is close to being done (SDP): "They have to try and win, they have to make some bold trades"
Get a load of this guy...
KBone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
Posts: 436
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:02 pm
Location: Not Pittsburgh : (

Re: Surprised Crosby has not extended yet

Post by KBone »

What if it happens now....

8/7 (Canada calendar)

at 8:07 PM Eastern

Do it Sid and GMKD!
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er
Posts: 3273
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:10 pm
Location: north central Ohio

Re: Surprised Crosby has not extended yet

Post by Sigwolf »

KBone wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:07 pm What if it happens now....

8/7 (Canada calendar)

at 8:07 PM Eastern

Do it Sid and GMKD!
Well, that's come and gone... but there is still time to do it on 8/7 (US) at 8:07 :pop: .
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
Posts: 35919
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:29 pm
Location: Pingvin na vsyu zhizn
Contact:

Re: Surprised Crosby has not extended yet

Post by penny lane »



Soon. :D
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
Posts: 7786
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:00 am

Re: Surprised Crosby has not extended yet

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Smith already skating and wearing Rangers gear... what a *****
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Posts: 24507
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:53 am
Location: NY

Re: Surprised Crosby has not extended yet

Post by KG »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:09 am Smith already skating and wearing Rangers gear... what a *****
He couldn't get off the team fast enough. Surprised he's even still in town.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Posts: 23738
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Surprised Crosby has not extended yet

Post by Pitts »

KG wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:26 am
lemieuxReturns wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:09 am Smith already skating and wearing Rangers gear... what a *****
He couldn't get off the team fast enough. Surprised he's even still in town.
It's pretty cool that the players can put the teams aside and simply be hockey players together - working out, getting ready for the next go at it.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Posts: 22270
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm

Re: Surprised Crosby has not extended yet

Post by FLPensFan »

Pitts wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 1:00 pm
KG wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:26 am
lemieuxReturns wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:09 am Smith already skating and wearing Rangers gear... what a *****
He couldn't get off the team fast enough. Surprised he's even still in town.
It's pretty cool that the players can put the teams aside and simply be hockey players together - working out, getting ready for the next go at it.
Maybe his whole reason for pouting was he really wanted to play with Sid, not Geno. I also didn't even realize Dumo was traded to the Ducks. Apparently, they hadn't sent him gear yet, so Dumo was wearing his Kraken gear inside out wear possible.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
Posts: 7786
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:00 am

Re: Surprised Crosby has not extended yet

Post by lemieuxReturns »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 1:08 pm
Pitts wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 1:00 pm
KG wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:26 am
lemieuxReturns wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:09 am Smith already skating and wearing Rangers gear... what a *****
He couldn't get off the team fast enough. Surprised he's even still in town.
It's pretty cool that the players can put the teams aside and simply be hockey players together - working out, getting ready for the next go at it.
Maybe his whole reason for pouting was he really wanted to play with Sid, not Geno. I also didn't even realize Dumo was traded to the Ducks. Apparently, they hadn't sent him gear yet, so Dumo was wearing his Kraken gear inside out wear possible.
Yea, thats probably it... a fourth liner playing like an AHL bench warmer was probably upset that he was centered by a HOF guy still racking up points.
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Posts: 948
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:30 am
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Surprised Crosby has not extended yet

Post by pekkasteele »

So, The Atletic reporting it will be 3y $10m/y for Sid.
Last edited by pekkasteele on Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikeys66ers!
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:16 pm

Re: Surprised Crosby has not extended yet

Post by mikeys66ers! »

That’s a beauty Aav. 😀
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Posts: 6197
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:49 am
Location: Right here, right now.

Re: Surprised Crosby has not extended yet

Post by Puck-Lurker »

pekkasteele wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 5:31 pm So, The Atletic reporting it will be 3y $10m/y for Sid.
Where do we sign?
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Posts: 24507
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:53 am
Location: NY

Re: Surprised Crosby has not extended yet

Post by KG »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:22 pm
pekkasteele wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 5:31 pm So, The Atletic reporting it will be 3y $10m/y for Sid.
Where do we sign?
There has to be an 87 component to it .
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er
Posts: 3273
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:10 pm
Location: north central Ohio

Re: Surprised Crosby has not extended yet

Post by Sigwolf »

KG wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 7:29 pm
Puck-Lurker wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:22 pm
pekkasteele wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 5:31 pm So, The Atletic reporting it will be 3y $10m/y for Sid.
Where do we sign?
There has to be an 87 component to it .
Laddered down salary... 11.3/10/8.7. Avg $10m salary cap hit with last season being 8.7. Profit! :fist:
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Posts: 1329
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 9:41 am

Re: Surprised Crosby has not extended yet

Post by Cow_Master66 »

Pitts wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 4:21 pm
Cow_Master66 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 1:35 pm
Pitts wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:42 pm I don't understand the whole Crosby talk going on here. Never once has anyone, Pens management, reporters, friends, family, ever said Crosby would want to leave Pittsburgh. Contrary, Crosby himself has stated repeatedly that he has no intentions of ever donning another jersey and that his intentions since he got here was to end his career here. Crosby is an honest man. Why would anyone second guess him?
Think it's mostly due to team fans that have beaten the drum on his competitiveness and drive to win for all the years realizing he won't have the opportunity to win anymore here. The view that he may WANT to stay but WANT to win more isn't that far-fetched to believe.
It is far-feched to me. Nothing Crosby has ever said or done suggests he would want to win with another team.
I agree. Having said that, we are in uncharted territory internet stranger. There’s a large contingency of fans that say he’s the most competitive player, will do anything to win, etc. Sticking around here another 3-4 years isn’t going to bring him much winning.

Again, I am not saying he is leaving any time soon, but 2 years from now when the end if the line is near and he isn’t even sniffing the playoffs, this topic could come up again.
KBone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
Posts: 436
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:02 pm
Location: Not Pittsburgh : (

Re: Surprised Crosby has not extended yet

Post by KBone »

Sigwolf wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:40 pm
KG wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 7:29 pm
Puck-Lurker wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:22 pm
pekkasteele wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 5:31 pm So, The Atletic reporting it will be 3y $10m/y for Sid.
Where do we sign?
There has to be an 87 component to it .
Laddered down salary... 11.3/10/8.7. Avg $10m salary cap hit with last season being 8.7. Profit! :fist:
He could have a $8.7m signing bonus every year and the rest salary. Done.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Posts: 3078
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:23 pm
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Re: Surprised Crosby has not extended yet

Post by BigMcK »

Cow_Master66 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 9:10 pm
Pitts wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 4:21 pm
Cow_Master66 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 1:35 pm
Pitts wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:42 pm I don't understand the whole Crosby talk going on here. Never once has anyone, Pens management, reporters, friends, family, ever said Crosby would want to leave Pittsburgh. Contrary, Crosby himself has stated repeatedly that he has no intentions of ever donning another jersey and that his intentions since he got here was to end his career here. Crosby is an honest man. Why would anyone second guess him?
Think it's mostly due to team fans that have beaten the drum on his competitiveness and drive to win for all the years realizing he won't have the opportunity to win anymore here. The view that he may WANT to stay but WANT to win more isn't that far-fetched to believe.
It is far-feched to me. Nothing Crosby has ever said or done suggests he would want to win with another team.
I agree. Having said that, we are in uncharted territory internet stranger. There’s a large contingency of fans that say he’s the most competitive player, will do anything to win, etc. Sticking around here another 3-4 years isn’t going to bring him much winning.

Again, I am not saying he is leaving any time soon, but 2 years from now when the end if the line is near and he isn’t even sniffing the playoffs, this topic could come up again.
Winning could be something as simple as being a First overall round draft pick, being the youngest Captain in NHL history, having played on the ice with the GOAT, participating in the jersey raising celebration as Captain for a former great and Captain, and, oh yah, won Three Stanley Cups, and other various NHL awards.

Crosby has cemented himself as a Penguins HOF great!

That is a career most NHL players would sell their soul to the devil to claim.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
Posts: 7871
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:10 pm
Location: Dallas

Re: Surprised Crosby has not extended yet

Post by Daniel »

BigMcK wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 3:18 am
Cow_Master66 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 9:10 pm
Pitts wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 4:21 pm
Cow_Master66 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 1:35 pm
Pitts wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:42 pm I don't understand the whole Crosby talk going on here. Never once has anyone, Pens management, reporters, friends, family, ever said Crosby would want to leave Pittsburgh. Contrary, Crosby himself has stated repeatedly that he has no intentions of ever donning another jersey and that his intentions since he got here was to end his career here. Crosby is an honest man. Why would anyone second guess him?
Think it's mostly due to team fans that have beaten the drum on his competitiveness and drive to win for all the years realizing he won't have the opportunity to win anymore here. The view that he may WANT to stay but WANT to win more isn't that far-fetched to believe.
It is far-feched to me. Nothing Crosby has ever said or done suggests he would want to win with another team.
I agree. Having said that, we are in uncharted territory internet stranger. There’s a large contingency of fans that say he’s the most competitive player, will do anything to win, etc. Sticking around here another 3-4 years isn’t going to bring him much winning.

Again, I am not saying he is leaving any time soon, but 2 years from now when the end if the line is near and he isn’t even sniffing the playoffs, this topic could come up again.
Winning could be something as simple as being a First overall round draft pick, being the youngest Captain in NHL history, having played on the ice with the GOAT, participating in the jersey raising celebration as Captain for a former great and Captain, and, oh yah, won Three Stanley Cups, and other various NHL awards.

Crosby has cemented himself as a Penguins HOF great!

That is a career most NHL players would sell their soul to the devil to claim.
I think the bottom line with Crosby is simple. Does he value a 4th cup or a legacy of one team his entire career? That answer might seem easy for us (one team) but we don't know his mindset. No matter what he says, it's from the perspective of today. 2-3 years down the road, he might change his mind and I think we can all agree he's earned the right to choose without any ill will. Today it's rare to play for one team for 20 years, heck, even 30 years ago it was, and I can't see him wanting to leave but one never knows.

That said, if Sid doesn't want to leave I doubt anyone would ask him to waive his NMC. If he does leave, I think most Pens fans would root for that team to win the cup (presuming the Penguins aren't in the playoffs).
ahawk9
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
Posts: 166
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Surprised Crosby has not extended yet

Post by ahawk9 »

I'm fairly certain he'll sign soon. That doesn't mean that he and the Pens can't chat about a trade to a contender somewhere down the road.
Post Reply