Welcome to LetsGoPens.com!

Please consider registering and joining the conversation.

Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Post Reply
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Posts: 21911
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by FLPensFan »

Pruezy11881 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:21 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:31 pm
Pens4Life wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:52 pm Rumours circulating that Penguins are eyeing LAK young winger Arthur Kaliyev, kinda slow skating power forward with hellava wrister.. he is RFA and as LAK dont have him in longterm plans anymore rumours say ,I dont think they should expect kings ransome for him in a potential trade.. Sign and trade for R.Smith and prospect,would be good enough. Kings are looking for experianced players..
Is this coming from anywhere else besides Kingerski's site?

EDIT: Oh, I see the Hockey News also has an article "linking/wishing/hoping" him as a good fit for the Penguins. I don't see the fit. The only "pluses" are that he is young @ 22, has some size, and has a good shot.

One scouting report from February of this year lists his skating as "Barely adequate skater for the pace of the NHL." That simply will not fly in a Mike Sullivan system. His skating rating by that same scouting report ranked in the low 60s, which is pretty awful. HARD PASS for me on Kaliyev.

Kingerski mentioned Nicolas Robertson or Max Jones as other potential RFAs who could want a change of scenery. I don't really see a fit for either here. Robertson is a smallish forward. There's nothing I like about Robertson's game that we don't already have in Puustinen. This is where, when a guy says "yeah, Player X must not be good because he didn't catch on with another team." And this is where I would often counter "we have several of our own prospects that I would rather get a look at than Player X." It's just a numbers and development game.

Max Jones was a 3rd player Kingerski mentioned. I'm indifferent. He has some size and uses it, but right now he's a 4th line producer who makes 1.295M on his expiring RFA deal and has arbitration rights. Another pass.

I think we could do better with our fringe adds than these 3.
Offer sheet Byfield.
Based on what picks we have left, the most we could offer him is 4.29M. I'd think LA easily matches that.

If anything, offer sheet Shane Pinto, if OTT won't trade him to us. OTT has 16 players signed and only 12.1M in cap space. 4.29M for Pinto would cut that to about 7.25M and needing new contracts for Brannstrom and then filling out a few more roster spots. They could probably do it, but they would probably be "forced" to go cheaper rather than choosing themselves to go cheaper or avoid UFAs.
Ericf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Posts: 957
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:32 pm

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by Ericf »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:51 pm
Pruezy11881 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:21 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:31 pm
Pens4Life wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:52 pm Rumours circulating that Penguins are eyeing LAK young winger Arthur Kaliyev, kinda slow skating power forward with hellava wrister.. he is RFA and as LAK dont have him in longterm plans anymore rumours say ,I dont think they should expect kings ransome for him in a potential trade.. Sign and trade for R.Smith and prospect,would be good enough. Kings are looking for experianced players..
Is this coming from anywhere else besides Kingerski's site?

EDIT: Oh, I see the Hockey News also has an article "linking/wishing/hoping" him as a good fit for the Penguins. I don't see the fit. The only "pluses" are that he is young @ 22, has some size, and has a good shot.

One scouting report from February of this year lists his skating as "Barely adequate skater for the pace of the NHL." That simply will not fly in a Mike Sullivan system. His skating rating by that same scouting report ranked in the low 60s, which is pretty awful. HARD PASS for me on Kaliyev.

Kingerski mentioned Nicolas Robertson or Max Jones as other potential RFAs who could want a change of scenery. I don't really see a fit for either here. Robertson is a smallish forward. There's nothing I like about Robertson's game that we don't already have in Puustinen. This is where, when a guy says "yeah, Player X must not be good because he didn't catch on with another team." And this is where I would often counter "we have several of our own prospects that I would rather get a look at than Player X." It's just a numbers and development game.

Max Jones was a 3rd player Kingerski mentioned. I'm indifferent. He has some size and uses it, but right now he's a 4th line producer who makes 1.295M on his expiring RFA deal and has arbitration rights. Another pass.

I think we could do better with our fringe adds than these 3.
Offer sheet Byfield.
Based on what picks we have left, the most we could offer him is 4.29M. I'd think LA easily matches that.

If anything, offer sheet Shane Pinto, if OTT won't trade him to us. OTT has 16 players signed and only 12.1M in cap space. 4.29M for Pinto would cut that to about 7.25M and needing new contracts for Brannstrom and then filling out a few more roster spots. They could probably do it, but they would probably be "forced" to go cheaper rather than choosing themselves to go cheaper or avoid UFAs.
If we offer sheet after the draft, we have our first and third 2025 picks so we could offer sheet Pinto for example up to $6.435 million
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er
Posts: 3685
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:19 am
Location: SF, California

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by Dynasty1970 »

IntangibleBeer wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:57 pm
KG wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:46 pm
Pitts wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:32 pm Rodrigues and Tanev back?? https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/pittsburg ... uins-radar

Honestly, I'd take Tanev in a heartbeat.
Gladly take them both back. Especially Tanev. Tanev for Smith trade might make sense. Seattle needs scoring.
I would do that as well - instant upgrade.
I really can’t believe my eyes as I read this thread! Have we learned nothing? Why would we want the same players back that we couldn’t win with? Why do we want this team comfortable? I want some young speedy hungry players willing to make the veterans uncomfortable. I want a new coach that makes it clear that he is playing the team that gives him the best chance to win. The players who go out and compete hard and perform. I don’t want anyone comfortable. I love Tanev, but these two players are now a couple years older than when they left. We continue to move in the wrong direction age wise. Unfortunately, we still have Sully listed as the head coach, that really needs to change!!!
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Posts: 21911
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by FLPensFan »

Dynasty1970 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:46 pm
IntangibleBeer wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:57 pm
KG wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:46 pm
Pitts wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:32 pm Rodrigues and Tanev back?? https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/pittsburg ... uins-radar

Honestly, I'd take Tanev in a heartbeat.
Gladly take them both back. Especially Tanev. Tanev for Smith trade might make sense. Seattle needs scoring.
I would do that as well - instant upgrade.
I really can’t believe my eyes as I read this thread! Have we learned nothing? Why would we want the same players back that we couldn’t win with? Why do we want this team comfortable? I want some young speedy hungry players willing to make the veterans uncomfortable. I want a new coach that makes it clear that he is playing the team that gives him the best chance to win. The players who go out and compete hard and perform. I don’t want anyone comfortable. I love Tanev, but these two players are now a couple years older than when they left. We continue to move in the wrong direction age wise. Unfortunately, we still have Sully listed as the head coach, that really needs to change!!!
I agree and disagree here. As I said in my response, I wouldn't mind either player back, BUT...I also cautioned we have to toe the right balance between adding players and adding youth.

There was zero wrong with Tanev here. Yes, you really shouldn't be offering 3.5M for 6 years to a 4th liner...but he was only a 4th liner because that's where Sullivan stuck him 90% of the time. He had more than enough skill to play on the 3rd line as well. Tanev is that Hornqvist type of intensity this team is missing. He was blazing fast and used the the body. He was great defensively. It was incredibly stupid to give him away.

There was zero wrong with ERod. He had a career year here in Pittsburgh, with all 82 games played, 19 goals, 43 points. He's had 2 seasons of 39 points since leaving. He's the epitome of a middle 6 guy. He can play any position, on any line, and at any strength. That's the extreme type of versatility this team needs more of.

You telling me you wouldn't gladly take ERod over Acciari or Nieto?
You telling me you wouldn't gladly take Tanev over Acciari or Nieto?

I get what you are saying. Adding ERod and/or Tanev IN ADDITION to Acciari, Nieto, Eller, Harkins-type...at the expense of DOC, Poulin, Puustinen, Puljujarvi, etc...that's a no go for me. But ERod would be miles ahead of what Acciari provides. Acciari is turning into Daniel Winnik 2.0 for me. So great, everybody must have him, then comes here and is a complete dud...partially because Sullivan refuses to play him on the wing. Tanev, injuries and all, is instantly better than anything Nieto provided this team.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er
Posts: 3685
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:19 am
Location: SF, California

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by Dynasty1970 »

Tanev is the player I want here. But we tried that, we keep fielding the same team, the league is changing and we are failing to change along with it. It’s a copycat league. Bunting was a nice addition. I think we need more turnover, a new team. I cannot see us moving forward however with Sully behind the bench. This team unfortunately is the definition of insanity.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Posts: 21911
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by FLPensFan »

Dynasty1970 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:45 pm Tanev is the player I want here. But we tried that, we keep fielding the same team, the league is changing and we are failing to change along with it. It’s a copycat league. Bunting was a nice addition. I think we need more turnover, a new team. I cannot see us moving forward however with Sully behind the bench. This team unfortunately is the definition of insanity.
A Tanev-type player I have mentioned previously as someone to target would be Brandon Duhaime. He's a UFA making 1.1M this season after getting traded to Colorado from the Wild. He's 26 (turns 27 in a week), 6'2" 200lbs, fast and hits. He's a high energy player that can play LW and RW. The downside is he hasn't produced enough offensively. He's got 20 goals, 40 points in 211 NHL games. Duhaime-Poulin-Puljujarvi/Acciari would be an interesting 4th line.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Posts: 3031
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:23 pm
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by BigMcK »

While focusing on the rearview mirror admiring what was accomplished in the past, you are destined to hit the tree while moving forward into the future.

Per the fortune teller at the fair.

She had no positive vibes about Sully.

1 out of 2 isn't bad.

Fire bad vibes Sully.

Tanev in; Carter out.
ERod in; Smith out.

Does that work?
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er
Posts: 4896
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:02 pm
Location: Slovenia

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by Pens4Life »

Yep, I would take both back, Tanev and ERod.. ERod for Smith and Tanev instead of Carter, win win..
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Posts: 2194
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 10:17 am
Location: Cranberry Township, PA

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by IntangibleBeer »

BigMcK wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 3:00 am While focusing on the rearview mirror admiring what was accomplished in the past, you are destined to hit the tree while moving forward into the future.

Per the fortune teller at the fair.

She had no positive vibes about Sully.

1 out of 2 isn't bad.

Fire bad vibes Sully.

Tanev in; Carter out.
ERod in; Smith out.

Does that work?
Magic Eightball says: “Maybe”.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Posts: 1092
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:48 am

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by dark_forces »

BigMcK wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 3:00 am While focusing on the rearview mirror admiring what was accomplished in the past, you are destined to hit the tree while moving forward into the future.

Per the fortune teller at the fair.

She had no positive vibes about Sully.

1 out of 2 isn't bad.

Fire bad vibes Sully.

Tanev in; Carter out.
ERod in; Smith out.

Does that work?
Yes! On Tip of the IceBurgh podcast, these were the two names discussed. Although, Smith is a LW and Rodrigues is more of a C/RW. Acquiring Tanev (with 1 year remaining) wouldn't cost too much. He's exactly what this team needs. Assuming Smith is gone, I wouldn't balk at bringing Zucker back at a reduced rate for a year or two to play up and down the lineup. I read that the team missed his gutsiness and competitive nature.

I think the key to a successful offseason will be obtaining a 3rd line center, that's 2nd line capable, that will push Eller to the 4th line. Successful Pens teams have all had a 3rd line that can score. Another center is key to also lessening some of the center-duty burden on Malkin and Crosby.
Perhaps someone affordable like Alex Wennberg, on a two-year deal. Or Sean Monahan would be a nice pickup.
I think LW is likely where they go big game hunting in the form of Bertuzzi/DeBrusk...etc.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Posts: 21911
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by FLPensFan »

dark_forces wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 1:15 pm
BigMcK wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 3:00 am While focusing on the rearview mirror admiring what was accomplished in the past, you are destined to hit the tree while moving forward into the future.

Per the fortune teller at the fair.

She had no positive vibes about Sully.

1 out of 2 isn't bad.

Fire bad vibes Sully.

Tanev in; Carter out.
ERod in; Smith out.

Does that work?
Yes! On Tip of the IceBurgh podcast, these were the two names discussed. Although, Smith is a LW and Rodrigues is more of a C/RW. Acquiring Tanev (with 1 year remaining) wouldn't cost too much. He's exactly what this team needs. Assuming Smith is gone, I wouldn't balk at bringing Zucker back at a reduced rate for a year or two to play up and down the lineup. I read that the team missed his gutsiness and competitive nature.

I think the key to a successful offseason will be obtaining a 3rd line center, that's 2nd line capable, that will push Eller to the 4th line. Successful Pens teams have all had a 3rd line that can score. Another center is key to also lessening some of the center-duty burden on Malkin and Crosby.
Perhaps someone affordable like Alex Wennberg, on a two-year deal. Or Sean Monahan would be a nice pickup.
I think LW is likely where they go big game hunting in the form of Bertuzzi/DeBrusk...etc.
Sign DeBrusk for 5 years, 6M AAV
Sign Brandon Duhaime for 3 years, 1.75M AAV
Trade a 2nd and Poulin/Ponomarev to OTT for Shane Pinto
Trade Smith somewhere for a pick and a prospect (or maybe a bottom pairing d-man)

DeBrusk-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
DOC-Pinto-Puustinen
Duhaime-Eller-Puljujarvi
x-Acciari

The 3 big things I see that need to happen, just speaking up front:

1) The Penguins need a RH center.
2) The Penguins need to not be content with Eller as their 3C
3) The Penguins need to move Acciari to RW, and maybe consider moving his contract altogether.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Posts: 1092
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:48 am

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by dark_forces »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 1:50 pm
dark_forces wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 1:15 pm
BigMcK wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 3:00 am While focusing on the rearview mirror admiring what was accomplished in the past, you are destined to hit the tree while moving forward into the future.

Per the fortune teller at the fair.

She had no positive vibes about Sully.

1 out of 2 isn't bad.

Fire bad vibes Sully.

Tanev in; Carter out.
ERod in; Smith out.

Does that work?
Yes! On Tip of the IceBurgh podcast, these were the two names discussed. Although, Smith is a LW and Rodrigues is more of a C/RW. Acquiring Tanev (with 1 year remaining) wouldn't cost too much. He's exactly what this team needs. Assuming Smith is gone, I wouldn't balk at bringing Zucker back at a reduced rate for a year or two to play up and down the lineup. I read that the team missed his gutsiness and competitive nature.

I think the key to a successful offseason will be obtaining a 3rd line center, that's 2nd line capable, that will push Eller to the 4th line. Successful Pens teams have all had a 3rd line that can score. Another center is key to also lessening some of the center-duty burden on Malkin and Crosby.
Perhaps someone affordable like Alex Wennberg, on a two-year deal. Or Sean Monahan would be a nice pickup.
I think LW is likely where they go big game hunting in the form of Bertuzzi/DeBrusk...etc.
Sign DeBrusk for 5 years, 6M AAV
Sign Brandon Duhaime for 3 years, 1.75M AAV
Trade a 2nd and Poulin/Ponomarev to OTT for Shane Pinto
Trade Smith somewhere for a pick and a prospect (or maybe a bottom pairing d-man)

DeBrusk-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
DOC-Pinto-Puustinen
Duhaime-Eller-Puljujarvi
x-Acciari

The 3 big things I see that need to happen, just speaking up front:

1) The Penguins need a RH center.
2) The Penguins need to not be content with Eller as their 3C
3) The Penguins need to move Acciari to RW, and maybe consider moving his contract altogether.
I agree and like what you did here. I wonder what it would realistically take for Ottawa to part with Pinto? I agree that one of our 2nd round picks probably needs be a starting point. Regardless, center should be at the top of the shopping list. If we include POJ instead of Poulin/Pomomarev along with the pick, trading Smith for a veteran bottom pair defensemen would be a solid move. If they don't bring in a new center this offseason, the roster will feel incomplete.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Posts: 24147
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:53 am
Location: NY

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by KG »

I agree that we could use a younger 3C who can bump up to give Geno a break from time to time. Centers are always hard to come by. Especially younger ones.

Eller would be a great 4C, I just question where the youth in the lineup is going to go though? Sounds like they are high on Ponomarev and he could easily be 4C next season. Along with Poulin as 4LW. We have to get younger eventually.

Guess what I'm saying is we should get a better 3C and maybe look to trade Eller so we can get some youth in the lineup. Same for Acciari.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Posts: 21911
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 3:33 pm I agree that we could use a younger 3C who can bump up to give Geno a break from time to time. Centers are always hard to come by. Especially younger ones.

Eller would be a great 4C, I just question where the youth in the lineup is going to go though? Sounds like they are high on Ponomarev and he could easily be 4C next season. Along with Poulin as 4LW. We have to get younger eventually.

Guess what I'm saying is we should get a better 3C and maybe look to trade Eller so we can get some youth in the lineup. Same for Acciari.
Pinto is only 23 years old, and has the potential to be an average 2C, in the 20+ goal, 60 point range. He'd be perfect as a fill in for Malkin or Sid if there is an injury there, and he should grow into a 2nd line center role as Malkin is getting ready to retire. OTT isn't going to have a ton of cap space this offseason, and needs to sign Pinto and Brannstrom. There's a lot of chatter that Pinto could be on the move.

Eller was fine as a 3C, but not exceptional. He exceeded my expectations, but, if you have Eller as your 4C, you are in a much better position if your 3C is out of the lineup.

Pinto is miles ahead of Poulin or Ponomarev at this stage of his career...so Pinto would be part of that injection of youth. I think if you sign 27 year old DeBrusk and move on from 33 year old Reilly Smith, that's one area of getting younger. DOC and Puustinen as full time 3rd liners would be a 2nd. Having Duhaime (27) and Puljujarvi (25) on the 4th line with Eller is another. Then you have a Poulin or Ponomarev as your extra or first callup. That's plenty of youth available to the team...plus Blomqvist in net, plus POJ and St. Ivany on defense, Ludvig/Shea over Ruhwedel.

Lots of youth there.

Blomqvist 22
Pinto 23
Ludvig 23 (LTIR)
Poulin 23
Puustinen 24
St. Ivany 24
POJ 24
DOC 25
Puljujarvi 26
DeBrusk 27
Bunting 28

That's already much younger than we were to start the season last year.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Posts: 5193
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:05 pm

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by Maestro »

.
Last edited by Maestro on Fri May 17, 2024 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Posts: 21911
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by FLPensFan »

Brayden Yager's Moose Jaw team won the WHL championship. Yager finished the playoffs with 11 goals, 27 points...3rd in the league behind 2 of his teammates. Yager is expected to return Moose Jaw next season, as he won't be 20 years old by the cutoff date to play in the AHL.

For those asking, extremely long shot that he would make the Penguins for the 24-25 season. The good news, according to Jesse, is Yager has done almost a complete 180 turnaround for the positive. His draft year, he focused much more on the defensive aspects of his game, which caused his numbers to go down and his draft stock to fall a bit. This year, he's pretty much just been letting it rip, and it showed on the scoresheet.

I've seen both Jessie and Taylor Haase say he'll need another 1-2 years before having a real shot at the Penguins. For as good as his offense was this season, and his defense was the season before....he's still listed as 5'11" and 166lbs. He needs to put on some weight and muscle to be able to survive the pro game against guys 40-50lbs heavier.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Posts: 23634
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by Pitts »

Ericf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Posts: 957
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:32 pm

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by Ericf »

FLPensFan wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:18 am Brayden Yager's Moose Jaw team won the WHL championship. Yager finished the playoffs with 11 goals, 27 points...3rd in the league behind 2 of his teammates. Yager is expected to return Moose Jaw next season, as he won't be 20 years old by the cutoff date to play in the AHL.

For those asking, extremely long shot that he would make the Penguins for the 24-25 season. The good news, according to Jesse, is Yager has done almost a complete 180 turnaround for the positive. His draft year, he focused much more on the defensive aspects of his game, which caused his numbers to go down and his draft stock to fall a bit. This year, he's pretty much just been letting it rip, and it showed on the scoresheet.

I've seen both Jessie and Taylor Haase say he'll need another 1-2 years before having a real shot at the Penguins. For as good as his offense was this season, and his defense was the season before....he's still listed as 5'11" and 166lbs. He needs to put on some weight and muscle to be able to survive the pro game against guys 40-50lbs heavier.
Zach Benson is just as small height and weight wise. He started 71 games for the Sabres and wasn’t limited by size. Yager apparently put on 6-8 lbs from last season to this one and he can do it again. His size should not prohibit him from making the Pens if he’s otherwise ready
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Posts: 21911
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by FLPensFan »

Ericf wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:39 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:18 am Brayden Yager's Moose Jaw team won the WHL championship. Yager finished the playoffs with 11 goals, 27 points...3rd in the league behind 2 of his teammates. Yager is expected to return Moose Jaw next season, as he won't be 20 years old by the cutoff date to play in the AHL.

For those asking, extremely long shot that he would make the Penguins for the 24-25 season. The good news, according to Jesse, is Yager has done almost a complete 180 turnaround for the positive. His draft year, he focused much more on the defensive aspects of his game, which caused his numbers to go down and his draft stock to fall a bit. This year, he's pretty much just been letting it rip, and it showed on the scoresheet.

I've seen both Jessie and Taylor Haase say he'll need another 1-2 years before having a real shot at the Penguins. For as good as his offense was this season, and his defense was the season before....he's still listed as 5'11" and 166lbs. He needs to put on some weight and muscle to be able to survive the pro game against guys 40-50lbs heavier.
Zach Benson is just as small height and weight wise. He started 71 games for the Sabres and wasn’t limited by size. Yager apparently put on 6-8 lbs from last season to this one and he can do it again. His size should not prohibit him from making the Pens if he’s otherwise ready
I think his size is ONE of the reasons. I think those that watch and analyze prospects more regularly think there is still more for him to work on.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Posts: 3031
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:23 pm
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by BigMcK »

FLPensFan wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:54 pm
Ericf wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:39 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:18 am Brayden Yager's Moose Jaw team won the WHL championship. Yager finished the playoffs with 11 goals, 27 points...3rd in the league behind 2 of his teammates. Yager is expected to return Moose Jaw next season, as he won't be 20 years old by the cutoff date to play in the AHL.

For those asking, extremely long shot that he would make the Penguins for the 24-25 season. The good news, according to Jesse, is Yager has done almost a complete 180 turnaround for the positive. His draft year, he focused much more on the defensive aspects of his game, which caused his numbers to go down and his draft stock to fall a bit. This year, he's pretty much just been letting it rip, and it showed on the scoresheet.

I've seen both Jessie and Taylor Haase say he'll need another 1-2 years before having a real shot at the Penguins. For as good as his offense was this season, and his defense was the season before....he's still listed as 5'11" and 166lbs. He needs to put on some weight and muscle to be able to survive the pro game against guys 40-50lbs heavier.
Zach Benson is just as small height and weight wise. He started 71 games for the Sabres and wasn’t limited by size. Yager apparently put on 6-8 lbs from last season to this one and he can do it again. His size should not prohibit him from making the Pens if he’s otherwise ready
I think his size is ONE of the reasons. I think those that watch and analyze prospects more regularly think there is still more for him to work on.
Encouraging to read some positive news on a prospective Penguins player early on his way to the NHL.

With the positive news, I would guess that his value also increases, with makes him a larger chip to be used in a trade. It will be interesting to see if he makes it to the NHL on a Penguins roster or not...
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
Posts: 9409
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:13 pm

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by Skatingpen »

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/401 ... t-playoffs

Interesting comments from Marchand regarding injuring players come playoff time……
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Posts: 23634
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by Pitts »

Skatingpen wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 6:57 pm https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/401 ... t-playoffs

Interesting comments from Marchand regarding injuring players come playoff time……
I have to say - my respect for him came up a notch (from about -100 :D ). He didn't trash Bennett or cry for revenge. He was truthful that he does crap too, so he accepts when it happens to him.

I was actually wishing the Pens took a run at him when he was up for free agency a few years back, but Bruins re-upped him before he hit the market. He would have been gold playing with Crosby.
100565
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:04 pm

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by 100565 »

Pinto would be a perfect get. He plays a with energy, can produce, and is decent defensively.

However, IMO, trading for him would require much better offer than discussed above.

I think OTT signs him to 4-6 year contract.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Posts: 24147
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:53 am
Location: NY

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by KG »

100565 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:10 pm Pinto would be a perfect get. He plays a with energy, can produce, and is decent defensively.

However, IMO, trading for him would require much better offer than discussed above.

I think OTT signs him to 4-6 year contract.
Agreed. Teams don't trade young centers in this league. Unless it's an overpay. I would think Kotkaniemi from Carolina could be had. Canes need cap space. He's not great, but he's young and would be a 3C upgrade on Eller.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Posts: 21911
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by FLPensFan »

Berube hired by the Leafs.
Post Reply