Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by the wicked child »

People at work who take lunch the hour after everyone else so that whwn you need something from them, you're stuck for an hour.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

the wicked child wrote:People at work who take lunch the hour after everyone else so that whwn you need something from them, you're stuck for an hour.
Oh, that's me. You should see how much work you can get completed in that hour when you don't have people pestering you.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

the wicked child wrote:People at work who take lunch the hour after everyone else so that whwn you need something from them, you're stuck for an hour.
This is me. I take the latest lunch that I can to give me the shortest possible segment to end the day.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

dodint wrote:
This is me. I take the latest lunch that I can to give me the shortest possible segment to end the day.
Not only that but that hour before when everyone else goes to lunch is so easy.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

meow wrote:
Oh, that's me. You should see how much work you can get completed in that hour when you don't have people pestering you.
I take my lunch as late as possible for the same reason. So much more productive when others are gone.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

dodint wrote:
For years, I worked 6:30 to 3:30 and took lunch 12:30 to 1:30 and that afternoon was the best. Now, I work 7 to 4 and take lunch 12 to 1. Starting work before anyone else is there to bother you is :thumb:.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Idoit40fans wrote:
meow wrote:
I take my lunch as late as possible for the same reason. So much more productive when others are gone.
Not only that, but taking your lunch at 12-1 or even 1-2 makes that afternoon seem so much shorter.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

The phrase "x years young", as in "this celebrity is 81 years young." It doesn't work that way. Do you say "That building is 80 years young", "the cheese is 24 months young", etc?

I know it's supposed to be some cute way of saying somebody has aged without making them sound old, but it sounds ridiculous. According to Merriam-Webster, the definition for old is "having lived for many years; not young. Having a specified age." To me, there's nothing wrong with that definition. I'm not exactly young anymore, but I'm gonna get offended when somebody say "hey, did you know that JS© is X years OLD?"

Then again, Merriam-Webster is the same group that added "freegan" and "tweep" to their dictionary, so maybe I shouldn't be using them for reference.
DropEmJayBird
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by DropEmJayBird »

During dinner - 100% of the time it's dinner at home - the person who cooked it asks "Aren't you going to have ______?"
It's 99% of the time parents - but seriously - I'm an adult, I have eyes - I see what's available and eat accordingly.

It really gets annoying when I did have ______ and already finished them from my dish.

And don't get me started when they force feed you seconds even though you piled the food on the plate during the first go around because you knew it was going to be a pain to get out of your seat and around people to get seconds.
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by GSdrums87 »

DropEmJayBird wrote:During dinner - 100% of the time it's dinner at home - the person who cooked it asks "Aren't you going to have ______?"
It's 99% of the time parents - but seriously - I'm an adult, I have eyes - I see what's available and eat accordingly.

It really gets annoying when I did have ______ and already finished them from my dish.

And don't get me started when they force feed you seconds even though you piled the food on the plate during the first go around because you knew it was going to be a pain to get out of your seat and around people to get seconds.
You can tell this one has been deep-rooted for many years.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

DropEmJayBird wrote: It's 99% of the time parents
[youtube][/youtube]

She bought you Zips, didn't she?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

its always sunny in philadelphia
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Unsalted Butter
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:its always sunny in philadelphia
LITT

Goddamnit LITT

Are you kidding me

You are one of the few reasonable people on this board dont do this LITT
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by GSdrums87 »

I agree. Don't get the love for it.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Why does a Dayquil / Nyquil combo box have the same number of each type of pill? We're all usually awake for more time each day than we're asleep.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

slappybrown wrote:
LITT

Goddamnit LITT

Are you kidding me

I've actually never watched it

Two of my college roommates would never shut up about it so I took a vow to never watch

Hence the irrational pet peeve
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

people that drive the speed limit
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

mac, is that you?
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

College basketball players that wear a tshirt under their jersey
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
LITT

Goddamnit LITT

Are you kidding me

I've actually never watched it

Two of my college roommates would never shut up about it so I took a vow to never watch

Hence the irrational pet peeve
Im telling you do it do it do it
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

I watched it when it first came out and kind of liked it. Then I had a college roommate that ruined it too. Then I really just got tired of that type of humor in general: group of friends, one says crazy **** that everyone reacts to and the dialogue is littered with faux-asides to the audience...I can see how it would be funny - and sometimes it is - but that type of humor just kind of grew old on me quick once that style was adapted by that stupid fantasy football show, that show on TBS where the guy's name is "Anders" and some dude has huge hair and a couple others...
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

"Faux-asides to the audience"? On always sunny? Like breaking the fourth wall? I can't recall them ever doing that, beyond the episode they did that was an intentional combination of prior events. And even that didn't directly acknowledge the audience.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Maybe not a real aside, but things that are said that are deliberately not heard/acknowledged by the characters...it's only meant for the audience to hear but it's not actually an aside...it's common to this style of humor, but I haven't watched Always Sunny in a couple years so it may be less prevalent now...?
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

mikey287 wrote:Maybe not a real aside, but things that are said that are deliberately not heard/acknowledged by the characters...it's only meant for the audience to hear but it's not actually an aside...it's common to this style of humor, but I haven't watched Always Sunny in a couple years so it may be less prevalent now...?
Ah ok, I see what you're saying. They talk past each other a lot, because they are bad people.

Do you like Seinfeld?