Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

PensFanInDC wrote:Homeboy is one word. MIMH is proper. MIHMB is not...
this x 1000
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

overstuffed wraps and burritos.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

When someone in a store is mopping at the same time I am shopping. I feel like such a jerk walking on their freshly mopped floor.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

White cars with black wheels.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

*whew*

I have a black car with white wheels.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

So does just about everyone else (that owns a black car, anyway)...
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

this thread needs a theme song:

"you down with IPP?"

"yeah you know me"

"you down with IPP?"

"yeah you know me"

"who's down with IPP?"

"Allllllll of LGP"
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

MRandall25 wrote:So does just about everyone else (that owns a black car, anyway)...
No, they're *really* white.
Spoiler:
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Bad parody songs, man. If you're not Weird Al then stop.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

I have a black keep with black and orange wheels. :pop:
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Jim wrote:
LeopardLetang wrote:
mac5155 wrote:People who use photo bucket, especially when I'm on Mobile theme
Big time agree
Where else am I to put my pics?
Imgur
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

Shyster wrote:White cars with black wheels.
:evil: Although I currently have my factory wheels on for the winter.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

Cashiers who hand you your coins, bills and sales receipt all at the same time. Then you either have to hold up the line to separate the mess or shove it all in your pocket/wallet. Grrr
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Hockeynut! wrote:Cashiers who hand you your coins, bills and sales receipt all at the same time. Then you either have to hold up the line to separate the mess or shove it all in your pocket/wallet. Grrr
Hand change then bills. It's not hard
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

From a Huffington Post article
Photographer Polly Penrose started her project, "A Body of Work," seven years ago. She was inside her step-father's factory, amidst an array of industrial machines and contraptions -- inventions like tables built for vets to operate on race horses. It was there that she first stripped down naked and snapped a self-portrait.

The gesture initiated a years-long fascination with inserting her nude body into forgotten places. Penrose would seek out quiet locations, like abandoned houses and empty hotel rooms, and there she would photograph herself, stretched out from head to toe or pinched into fetal position. From 2007 to today, she's documented the physical and emotional changes her form has undergone, from marriage to pregnancy to grieving loved ones. Each image captures a new relationship between body and space, provocatively challenging the concept of "fitting in."
As you can imagine, the photos are really dumb.

My IPP is artists. I don't know why but I can't stand them. There's almost a smug attitude about them.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Agreed. Art for arts sake is frivolous to me.
scb147
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by scb147 »

Forms (especially on computers) that have both an entry for "Birthdate" and "Age". The latter is a redundant and unnecessary entry, and a computer should be able to easily calculate your age based off your birthdate.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Why would any sincere and serious human being create art - in whatever medium - other than for the sake of doing so?
I suppose you could mention to make money, but that's why the world has to suffer pop music, horrible television, idiotic super hero movies, etc.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

dodint wrote:Agreed. Art for arts sake is frivolous to me.
What's art for arts sake? Picasso, Rembrandt, Monet, Van Gogh, Jackson Pollack? I don't "get" a lot of art and there are certainly some wildly douchy artists out there, but as they say, beauty if in the eye of the beholder.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Mango Salsa »

scb147 wrote:Forms (especially on computers) that have both an entry for "Birthdate" and "Age". The latter is a redundant and unnecessary entry, and a computer should be able to easily calculate your age based off your birthdate.
...or when they ask you to create a password but dont give you their guidelines until after you've done it, then it's all like hold on there, Sparky, you need a capital letter and a symbol and 3 numbers and a character from Egyptian hieroglyphics.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I feel like art is just like anything else. Food, movies, songs, etc. You can love some and hate others. Although that being said, I do believe that art has taken a huge step backwards in recent decades. Performance art is garbage.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Hockeynut! wrote:
dodint wrote:Agreed. Art for arts sake is frivolous to me.
What's art for arts sake? Picasso, Rembrandt, Monet, Van Gogh, Jackson Pollack? I don't "get" a lot of art and there are certainly some wildly douchy artists out there, but as they say, beauty if in the eye of the beholder.
Putting Pollock in that group is an insult. The others are technically skilled painters. A 3 year old can recreate Pollock's work

I found this video interesting.

[youtube][/youtube]

I don't agree that art is objective but I do agree that art has shifted from an emphasis on technical ability to self-expression.

My own personal theory is that before 1950 or so, artists were only the best of the best because life wasn't comfortable. Artists were artists because they were really good, not because their parents had money or whatever. If you weren't good you couldn't be an artist because you/your family would starve. But we live such a comfortable life now that anyone can live with their parents and be "artsy".

Hell, I had a roommate the last two years who I love like a sister but she is really mediocre at painting and she thinks she's good. Or at least she paints often...I don't know if she thinks she's good.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote: Putting Pollock in that group is an insult. The others are technically skilled painters. A 3 year old can recreate Pollock's work

I don't agree that art is objective but I do agree that art has shifted from an emphasis on technical ability to self-expression.

My own personal theory is that before 1950 or so, artists were only the best of the best because life wasn't comfortable. Artists were artists because they were really good, not because their parents had money or whatever. If you weren't good you couldn't be an artist because you/your family would starve. But we live such a comfortable life now that anyone can live with their parents and be "artsy".

Hell, I had a roommate the last two years who I love like a sister but she is really mediocre at painting and she thinks she's good. Or at least she paints often...I don't know if she thinks she's good.
That's why I did include Pollack. ;)

Many of the artists now renowned as "great" were poor their whole lives or achieved little success in the arts. Their fame and the value of their work didn't come until after they were dead. The ones who were successful in life were certainly talented, but as with any business, they were also skilled at marketing themselves. Picasso is a good example of that.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Do I *really* have to justify myself, in this of all threads? I didn't even bring it up.

I studied art history while earning my bachelors. I have an appreciation for it from a technical standpoint. But I have a really hard time with abstract art. To put it in a nutshell, I feel like the hard work Velazquez and his contemporaries put into making art stand on it's own as important pursuit was flushed down the toilet by the Dadaists and all the artists-before-art that came after, including the stuff like MIMH is talking about above. I just can't **** stand it. That's what I meant by 'art for art's sake', it exists to promote the art and the artist without contributing anything. Also note that I said "frivolous" because art isn't about utility, and I stand by that sentiment. If it's practical it's probably not pure art.

To me real art evokes some kind of response from people. It cultivates a shared experience. People have been looking at Sargent's The Daughters of Edward Darley Boit for 130 years. When I get lost in it I feel like I'm with every person that ever admired it. I feel the same way about books and certain movies, I consider them art and I love them dearly.

Most of the art I've selected for our home is photography, because it's 'real.' (I know photography is just a subjective as painting but it's my choice, nya) I'm a very literal person and respond well to art forms that show me 'reality' from a perspective I haven't considered before, which is why I adore photography. The sole exception in my home is a print of The Dog by Goya, because it moves me in some primal way. It's worth noting the series The Dog came from was never really meant to be exhibited, it was found later.

Art is a really broad spectrum, and I don't expect anyone to agree with me or even care. But bad art is like obscenity, you know it when you see it.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

I was just teasing you. Sorry to make you put so much effort into it, but I enjoyed your explanation. :)

Edit: A lot of critics will say photography isn't a true art. Obviously, I disagree.