Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by shmenguin »

Yeah people should stop being so excited over creating a child.

Gender reveal parties aren't for you. They're for family and girl friends. You've falsely inserted yourself into the audience just because it was on FB. I guarantee that for every angry single dude out there, there were 3 or 4 cousins/aunts who watched it in delight.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

Gender reveal parties are a thing?

I was annoyed enough when a friend of mine had an engagement party. It was a good time but a total gift grab. Dude I am already getting you guys a wedding gift. And one for my wife to take to the bridal shower.
Last edited by PghSkins on Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

Again, are these parties AFTER the baby is born?
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

I thought it was for the parents. That its when they find out the gender. I can understand that.

My wife told me the doc will seal the envelope and they give it to a friend who plans the party and has a cake made (pink or blue cake covered in white icing). When the parents cut the cake they find out the gender. Combine it with a baby shower and its all good.

Its not what we would do but I don't see the big deal.
Last edited by PensFanInDC on Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

No
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

blackjack68 wrote:No
OK, then I can understand that. I thought the post above said that the party occurred when the baby was already 6 months old.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

We found out when our kids came out. A planned reveal beforehand would have been more fun. I was too stressed about my wife and her difficult labors to even remember to look what the kids' deals were.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

shmenguin wrote:Yeah people should stop being so excited over creating a child.

Gender reveal parties aren't for you. They're for family and girl friends. You've falsely inserted yourself into the audience just because it was on FB. I guarantee that for every angry single dude out there, there were 3 or 4 cousins/aunts who watched it in delight.
You've just described a baby shower. I think this trend of creating a whole new event is over the top. Have a dinner with your family and announce it. The kids entire life will end up on facebook, lets cut him/her some slack while theyre still in the womb. I also think if it weren't for social media this wouldn't be a thing. Now its become a lets see who can have the most creative/funny/clever gender reveal. You'll get enough gifts and congrats just having the damn thing. :pop:

This was also posted in the IPPs thread so I can complain about whatever I want purple monkey dishwasher.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

shmenguin wrote:We found out when our kids came out. A planned reveal beforehand would have been more fun. I was too stressed about my wife and her difficult labors to even remember to look what the kids' deals were.
My first we waited. The other two we found out beforehand.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

Factorial wrote:
blackjack68 wrote:No
OK, then I can understand that. I thought the post above said that the party occurred when the baby was already 6 months old.
No no no. I was saying with the onslaught of baby photos you get in the first 6 months or so when someone has one, we'll figure out the sex. Don't need no party.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

I don't understand why you'd want to be surprised at birth? Isn't a disadvantage to not know the sex beforehand?
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:I don't understand why you'd want to be surprised at birth? Isn't a disadvantage to not know the sex beforehand?
I don't know, the whole thing seems stupid and put on a pedestal.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:I don't understand why you'd want to be surprised at birth? Isn't a disadvantage to not know the sex beforehand?
I can understand the "surprise" of it but we decided parenthood, especially with the first child, has enough surprises. It helped us prepare clothing, themes, etc. Although we went with a gender neutral theme so we could re use some stuff if #2 is a girl.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Also, if you don't have kids its a lot harder to determine what is stupid and what isn't. Anything potty training related was stupid to me. Now, a call from my son to tell me he pooped in the potty is a nice call to get.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote: I don't know, the whole thing seems stupid and put on a pedestal.
Creating a person? I think so. They're easy to make. It happens literally a billion times every 7.2 years. It's special for you and your immediate family. The rest of the world doesn't care, unless you're royalty. And even then, meh.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

PensFanInDC wrote:Also, if you don't have kids its a lot harder to determine what is stupid and what isn't. Anything potty training related was stupid to me. Now, a call from my son to tell me he pooped in the potty is a nice call to get.
Yes.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

dodint wrote:
MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote: I don't know, the whole thing seems stupid and put on a pedestal.
Creating a person? I think so. They're easy to make. It happens literally a billion times every 7.2 years. It's special for you and your immediate family. The rest of the world doesn't care, unless you're royalty. And even then, meh.
People do it every day and that's why I don't care about other people's kids. But you do realize though that girls who post this stuff do in fact have dozens (if not more) of people who drool over baby related videos. You guys aren't the audience.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

shmenguin wrote:
dodint wrote:
People do it every day and that's why I don't care about other people's kids. But you do realize though that girls who post this stuff do in fact have dozens (if not more) of people who drool over baby related videos. You guys aren't the audience.
FWIW the women who drool over baby related hate all the sports crap I post. So it definitely goes both ways.

Yeah, they didn't care that Sid had 5 points the other day. Believe it or not.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

Dang it, Santa used my computer to order American Girl stuff for my daughter for Christmas, now American Girl banners are all over LGP!
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

shmenguin wrote:
dodint wrote:

Well this is the irrational pet peeve thread, so the original peeve was valid based on the thread title.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

People fawn over my wife's cancer too, doesn't mean we should make more of it. ;)
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

the fact that this will be the third month out of the five that I've lived in my apartment where they are doing construction on the street. which means I can't park there and there are loud jackhammer and truck noises at 730 in the morning.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

dodint wrote:
It isn't that easy to make. We went through 6 miscarriages and it took us around 5 years to make our two kids. And that happens a lot more than you think.
DropEmJayBird
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by DropEmJayBird »

I see people talking about facebook - and being annoyed that friends put up an exciting moment in their lives....
What do you think facebook is? Why do you have facebook - what do you expect your friends to put on facebook?
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

DropEmJayBird wrote:I see people talking about facebook - and being annoyed that friends put up an exciting moment in their lives....
What do you think facebook is? Why do you have facebook - what do you expect your friends to put on facebook?
Especially probably the most exciting moment in their lives, up until that point. Shame on them.