Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by mac5155 »

Shyster wrote:First Energy was still running ads during yesterday's Steelers radio broadcast and was still crowing that it's the official electric supplier of the Steelers even though the company decided to end its consumer business and focus solely on large commercial customers. The ads are misleading because they sound like residential customers are still welcome.
My buddy works for West Penn and doesn't seem happy with First Energy. Of course I think it's because they're in a pretty good union dispute with them and he's worried he will have to strike.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

MRandall25 wrote:
meow wrote:People that call email gmail just because they have a gmail account.

"Hey, can you gmail me that report?"
What if I want a tissue from the box of Puffs, but I ask you for a Kleenex?
No.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

shafnutz05 wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:The attitude of a lot of servicemen (mostly those that enlisted in the past 15 years). I find a large percentage of them have a holier than thou outlook on everyone else. That if you haven't served you are a lesser person. I thank you for your service but don't be a *Tarnstrom*. I'm not sure if PTSD can manifest itself that way, if it can, then maybe that is to blame for some of them.
Obviously there is a very tight brotherhood of people that have served. Even without people knowing my prior background, I've never ran into this holier-than-thou attitude you speak of. The only instance I can think where I've seen that is towards politicians with no military background, or people that opine on military matters/policy/strategy that have no background.

I'm assuming this has to be stemming from anecdotal evidence.
I've never encountered a person that pounds their chest about being in the coast guard. I've met plenty that do over being a marine.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:

No.
Is gmail a colloquial term, like kleenex, frisbee, hulahoop and vaseline? If so, I was unaware.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

meow wrote:
Letang Is The Truth wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:

No.
Is gmail a colloquial term, like kleenex, frisbee, hulahoop and vaseline? If so, I was unaware.
For old people it may be... I only said that as a hypothetical.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

PensFanInDC wrote:The attitude of a lot of servicemen (mostly those that enlisted in the past 15 years). I find a large percentage of them have a holier than thou outlook on everyone else. That if you haven't served you are a lesser person. I thank you for your service but don't be a *Tarnstrom*. I'm not sure if PTSD can manifest itself that way, if it can, then maybe that is to blame for some of them.
This is the first time since Vietnam where we've had an extended military engagement that lasted over several years. The Gulf War was over and done with in six months (enforcing no-flies notwithstanding), and all other operations have been shorter than that. This means this is the first time the country has gone through a wartime experience with an all-volunteer military.

Also, as the fighting was going on in Afghanistan and Iraq there was no sense of communal endeavor. Shop or the terrorists win. (I would argue that when the USA PATRIOT Act was signed into law the terrorists 'won', but that's for another thread) Couple that with the relatively small force that was sent into each theater, and the number of servicemen who served multiple tours as a percentage of that force, and the actual burden of conducting these campaigns was born by an exceedingly small percentage of men and women.

I don't know if that explains what you're talking about, but I've seen it from time to time, too. Fraction of the vets I know and have met, but it's a larger percentage than vets of earlier conflicts.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

how my company's wifi is crap (can't download a podcast ever, often lose internet connection) yet I have no problem connecting to the internet through the guest network
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

tifosi77 wrote:
This is the first time since Vietnam where we've had an extended military engagement that lasted over several years. The Gulf War was over and done with in six months (enforcing no-flies notwithstanding), and all other operations have been shorter than that. This means this is the first time the country has gone through a wartime experience with an all-volunteer military.

Also, as the fighting was going on in Afghanistan and Iraq there was no sense of communal endeavor. Shop or the terrorists win. (I would argue that when the USA PATRIOT Act was signed into law the terrorists 'won', but that's for another thread) Couple that with the relatively small force that was sent into each theater, and the number of servicemen who served multiple tours as a percentage of that force, and the actual burden of conducting these campaigns was born by an exceedingly small percentage of men and women.

I don't know if that explains what you're talking about, but I've seen it from time to time, too. Fraction of the vets I know and have met, but it's a larger percentage than vets of earlier conflicts.
That sounds about right. And yes its all anecdotal with me. Its what I have witnessed. I think a lot has to do with the fact that most vets (that I know of) that I spent time with were fitness trainers. Im sure that doesn't help their attitude.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Don't be such a ****, Nancy.
Spoiler:
lol, j/k.
PensFanInDC wrote: That sounds about right. And yes its all anecdotal with me. Its what I have witnessed. I think a lot has to do with the fact that most vets (that I know of) that I spent time with were fitness trainers. Im sure that doesn't help their attitude.
I just saw that you equate all combat veterans with Crossfit instructors. Now I'm ready to punch your ignorant ass in the face.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Ex co-worker just booked a trip to Spain. Same itinerary as my recent trip (Barcelona and San Sebastián), and she has booked reservations at Tickets (which I did not get to visit) and Arzak (which I did get to visit). Last year, she traveled to Copenhagen and ate at Noma and Kadeau.

I'm really super excited for her to go. I would just like to know who's footing the bill, because 1) I know how expensive those restaurants are, and 2) I know what she earns, and it is comprehensively not enough to support that kind of travel and dining habit.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

People who hate seafood
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

It does indicate closed mindedness. To me.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

dodint wrote:
Don't be such a ****, Nancy.
Spoiler:
lol, j/k.
PensFanInDC wrote: That sounds about right. And yes its all anecdotal with me. Its what I have witnessed. I think a lot has to do with the fact that most vets (that I know of) that I spent time with were fitness trainers. Im sure that doesn't help their attitude.
I just saw that you equate all combat veterans with Crossfit instructors. Now I'm ready to punch your ignorant ass in the face.
Lol. All? No. As I said, most of the vets I come (came) in contact with were trainers.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Wait.

Are you saying I'm too fat to be a personal trainer?
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

No. You're too marine. :slug:
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Oof.

My heart.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Wayfair and the shipping was free......
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

viva la ben wrote:People who hate seafood
dodint wrote:It does indicate closed mindedness. To me.
Yup
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

When someone starts a sentence to anyone, but in this case to a server "why don't you go get me *insert thing here*" just screams arrogance.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

People who hate cats.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

It depends on the cat.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

columbia wrote:People who hate cats.
Slapson T. Brown, circa 2010
slappybrown wrote:lol @ male cat owners
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

Men who hate cats are just frustrated because they can't control cats like they do dogs.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

Factorial wrote:Men who hate cats are just frustrated because they can't control cats like they do dogs.
I've heard that before
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

Vevo

What a **** cancer Vevo is. I was watching a music video and 8 different times during the video an ad for some stupid crap pop artists I don't care about popped up on the screen and I had to x it out because it was annoying.

Also, WHY THE HELL DO THEY CENSOR SONGS. If I'm listening to an artist who isn't afraid to use colorful language, I want to hear it. What's the point of censoring it?

God it pisses me off