Jake to Carolina

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
stonewizard51
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Jake to Carolina

Post by stonewizard51 »

Guess that puts to rest all the talk about how Jake is better on Sid's wing. Looks like he's making the best of it in Carolina. Good for him.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

KG wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:40 am Good on Jake. Make it to the cup so we get the Canes first round pick.
I honestly find it hard to not like the Canes. They don't really have dirty players, they like skill and speed, etc. Plus, they have Staal and Guentzel now. I may be rooting for them this post season.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

stonewizard51 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:55 am Guess that puts to rest all the talk about how Jake is better on Sid's wing. Looks like he's making the best of it in Carolina. Good for him.
Not sure I recall that kind of talk. Jake has always been thought of a a high IQ player who knew how to get open and do the dirty work around the net. It's good to see him continue his success.
maopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by maopens »

He has 8 points in 5 games played in Carolina. Yeah, he's doing ok.
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

Let’s be honest, everyone does better when they leave Pittsburgh.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

The talk is going to be more like….the Pens were holding him back just like it has been for many others who moved on to better systems.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

Wyopen wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:55 am Let’s be honest, everyone does better when they leave Pittsburgh.
GMTA
Fast B
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Fast B »

Wyopen wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:55 am Let’s be honest, everyone does better when they leave Pittsburgh.
Starting to remind me of the Pirates (in that one way), and I never thought I'd be comparing the two.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Well hopefully other GM's notice and think that we have other 'diamonds in the rough' in guys like Rust, Rakell, and Smith.
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

stonewizard51
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stonewizard51 »

Pitts wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:50 am
stonewizard51 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:55 am Guess that puts to rest all the talk about how Jake is better on Sid's wing. Looks like he's making the best of it in Carolina. Good for him.
Not sure I recall that kind of talk. Jake has always been thought of a a high IQ player who knew how to get open and do the dirty work around the net. It's good to see him continue his success.
It was on another board I post on. Sorry about that. The actual post was "Jake is a better player only because he plays on Sid's wing". My response to that post was "Say what now ?? I watched him in WBS when he was burning it up. He didn't play with Sid there. Jake is good with or without Sid".
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

I hope it ends up really hurting the Canucks. If they were in the discussions and thought the price was too high.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:30 am I hope it ends up really hurting the Canucks. If they were in the discussions and thought the price was too high.
Seeing what we got for Jake, I would guess the Canucks offer would have likely needed to be something like:

Mikheyev, 2025 2nd (conditional 1st if reach Cup final), and 3 out of Raty, Pettersson, Truscott, Klimovich or Bains.

And for kicks, the Rangers...

Barclay Goodrow, 2024 2nd (conditional to 1st if Cup final), a 2025 3rd (because Goodrow isn't as good production wise as Bunting or Mikheyev), and something like Cuylle, Skykora, and Laba.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:30 am I hope it ends up really hurting the Canucks. If they were in the discussions and thought the price was too high.
Canes vs. Canucks in the final!

Jake with the Cup clinching goal.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:53 am
Seeing what we got for Jake, I would guess the Canucks offer would have likely needed to be something like:

Mikheyev, 2025 2nd (conditional 1st if reach Cup final), and 3 out of Raty, Pettersson, Truscott, Klimovich or Bains.

And for kicks, the Rangers...

Barclay Goodrow, 2024 2nd (conditional to 1st if Cup final), a 2025 3rd (because Goodrow isn't as good production wise as Bunting or Mikheyev), and something like Cuylle, Skykora, and Laba.
I think we were all taken a back at first at the return we got for Jake because it was nothing like the "insiders" had out there. But looking at the package in it's entirety, it really is a solid return for a rental. Bunting is a top 6 net front forward that fills a huge need, Koivunen and Ponomarev are 2nd round picks and Lucius is doing well developing, the Flyers 2nd, maybe Carolina's 1st.

If we had to chose from an organization on where to take prospects from, Carolina would be right up there. I have a bigger issue with our player and prospect development. We need these kids to continue to develop and make the team soon.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

From yesterday's Yohe Mailbag:
"However, team sources have told me in recent days not to be surprised if he signs with the Penguins again this summer." :pop:

https://theathletic.com/5358175/2024/03 ... ee-agency/
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

Admin wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:50 am From yesterday's Yohe Mailbag:
"However, team sources have told me in recent days not to be surprised if he signs with the Penguins again this summer." :pop:

Somehow, I just don't buy this—not saying it's impossible, just a bit improbable. If Carolina goes on a legit run, why not resign there? Or, resign there for big $ over a 3-4 year term. Out of all the teams, Carolina is perennially strong, well coached, fast, solid ownership/prospect pool, great fanbase. The only issue, traditionally, is their so-so goaltending.
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

Considering that easy meshing with linemates is not among Sidney Crosby’s considerable skill base, I see the logic of bringing him back.

Jake is also a fairly new daddy and might not want to permanently uproot the fam.

Then again, Guentzel can do sooooo much better financially and roster-wise.

Speaking of linemate meshing, anyone else remember when the Pens would double shift Lemieux with two rando 4th liners just to give the other team matchup headaches?
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Three Stars wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:06 pm Considering that easy meshing with linemates is not among Sidney Crosby’s considerable skill base, I see the logic of bringing him back.

Jake is also a fairly new daddy and might not want to permanently uproot the fam.

Whatever anyone's wishes, Guentzel gets to choose where he wants to go. He's earned it. If he wants to play for literally any other team in the league to have a shot at another cup, or earn more $$$ than he would be able to make here, I'll be happy for him. He can do better like you said.

But say he does want to return to Pittsburgh for 8M x 5 or something because, I don't know, intangibles other than money and glory. This year we paid 9M for Guentzel + Carter. Paying 8M for Guentzel leaves room to someone else on the roster and be as (in)effective as Carter. Poulin, Ponomarev, Koivunen, whoever the new toy is. I'd sign that deal in a heartbeat -- and Guentzel probably shouldn't (and won't?)

Still, it is a non-zero chance.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

He isn't coming back here. He goes to a young, better built, better coached team with a real future where he's going to make more money and have more success. He's coming back here because... Crosby? Give me a break. Wishful thinking.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Three Stars wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:06 pm Considering that easy meshing with linemates is not among Sidney Crosby’s considerable skill base, I see the logic of bringing him back.

Speaking of linemate meshing, anyone else remember when the Pens would double shift Lemieux with two rando 4th liners just to give the other team matchup headaches?
It makes sense for the Penguins to try and bring him back. I'm not so sure it makes sense for Jake, other than family reasons, to want to return. He can return to Pittsburgh, have some nice, successful regular seasons, and be golfing by mid-April...or he can stay in Raleigh, which is a pretty nice area too, and be part of a young team with Aho, Svechnikov, Necas, Jarvis, and Kochetkov, and be competing for Cups the next several years.

Add in the way he was reportedly treated by Dubas, which is to say, never really offered a contract...and add in the fact that so far, he seems to be fitting in just fine, and producing just fine without Crosby...it would be great if we could double down, get the return from trading Jake and bring him back, but it just doesn't make a lot of sense to me from Jake's side.

As to Lemieux...yeah, let's send Lemieux over the boards with Richard Zemlak and Mark Kachowski for a shift and really screw with the other team. One area that I wish coaches let Sid do more of was penalty kill. Lemieux was just a beast at it. Only 6 times has a player scored double-digit SHG in a season. Lemieux and Gretzky each did it twice (with Lemieux's 13 in 88-89 still the record, breaking Gretzky's 12 5 years earlier). Marcel Dionne and Dirk Graham had the other 2 double-digit SHG seasons.

While were at it, I saw a comment recently regarding Lemieux that, I tend to agree with. Even though it isn't the record, Lemieux's 199 point season in 88-89 is probably the single greatest season by an NHL player. Yes, Gretzky had the record 215 points in 85-86, but in Lemieux's 88-89 season:
---> He scored 85 goals. 31 on the PP and 13 SH. (Gretzky only had 52 goals his 215 point season...163 points were assists)
---> He had 100 minutes in penalties (only time in his career to hit triple digits...yet still put up those points)
---> He had an insane 27.2% shooting percentage
---> He 12 goals and 19 points in 11 playoff games, including his 5 goal, 8 point performance against the Flyers.
---> During Gretzky's 215 season, there were 7 Oilers with 20 or more goals, 5 with 30 or more and 3 with 50 or more.
---> During Lemieux's 199 season, there were 6 Penguins with 20 or more goals, 4 with 30 or more goals, and only Lemieux with above 50.
---> Lemieux had 9 hat tricks that year; Gretzky holds the record with 10 hat tricks in a season...but it wasn't his 215 season. (He had 3 that year)
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

dark_forces wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:03 pm
Admin wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:50 am From yesterday's Yohe Mailbag:

Somehow, I just don't buy this—not saying it's impossible, just a bit improbable. If Carolina goes on a legit run, why not resign there? Or, resign there for big $ over a 3-4 year term. Out of all the teams, Carolina is perennially strong, well coached, fast, solid ownership/prospect pool, great fanbase. The only issue, traditionally, is their so-so goaltending.
Carolina is actually in a tough spot with the cap this summer. They have a bunch of UFAs and RFAs to deal with. They might not have the room for Jake without losing a chunk their current roster.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Man Carolina is fast and aggressive.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

It could only possibly affect them for this season. He is a UFA. The Canucks could sign him to a long term contract this summer without giving up any assets in the process.

It will hurt the Canes more if they don't go far in this offseason and Jakes signs elsewhere. Then they are the ones giving up assets for nothing.

Trade deadline rentals are always a risk, and always will be. Carolina could end up regretting the deal just as easily as Vancouver could. It's all a crap-shoot.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Lots of ifs, but still speculation about Jake returning to Pittsburgh?

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/pittsburg ... e-guentzel