Official GDT: Pens vs Jackets 3/5/24

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Official GDT: Pens vs Jackets 3/5/24

Post by KG »

Ok. We should also trade Jarry to the highest bidder.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Hello of a shot!
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Sams_Dog »

Yeeeeeeeaaaaaah! The shortie!
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

These guys are just unbelievable!
BurghThing
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by BurghThing »

And another shorty!!! And no one will feel the consequences
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

This effin' team.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Rakell not taking a stick or getting a stick was not a smart choice but might not have stopped that goal but still was pretty dumb.
Zalapski33
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Zalapski33 »

No surprise from this inept PP.Its the 3rd Period and they once again do what they do best.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

KG wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:17 pm Ok. We should also trade Jarry to the highest bidder.
Yep!
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

Thanks Petterson
Zalapski33
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Zalapski33 »

Well,Jeff Carter shut me up.He got one off a good bounce.
Crash66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Crash66 »

Double ricochet
Toke
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Toke »

Greaves < Jarry
maopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by maopens »

It's not a Pens game without giving up a shortie!
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

As much as I and a lot of people ragged on Carter last year and it was all justified he has been good this year and he’s still the “type of player” that playoff teams trade for. I’d almost bet money he’s a King the end of the week.
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:01 pm
Coffey Break wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:27 pm Reilly Smith killing his trade value with each successive shift.
Question for you CB, if you are a player and you know you are getting traded within the next few days or if you know that there is a good chance you are getting traded within the next few days do you play at a lesser level on purpose? Does a player play at a lesser ability if they know they are getting traded for the following reasons:
- the team acquiring you loses less and therefore you are in a better situation from both a fans perspective and from an organizational perspective.
- once you arrive at the new organization you turn it back on to show that the slump from the previous team was a system thing and not you, the player?

If the answer to either of those is ‘yes’ or even ‘possibly yes’ I think it is important to make a trade sooner rather than later. Now, I realize that is almost the deadline so it’s a mute point but you do have to wonder going forward if it is better to make the trade earlier than later if you know you want to trade a player.
That's a really interesting point. At the core, I have a hard time getting behind a player purposely playing bad - if not for ego/vanity, the fact that you are trying to showcase yourself to potential bidders. I think it's probably similar to the whole "tank model" you may think teams deploy. But I don't know how professional players can get behind losing games on purpose - with so much at stake for subsequent years (i.e., their playing careers).

In Smith's case, I simply cannot understand what is going on. Part of it could be system or the coach or whatever. But how does this guy go from doing what he has done in Vegas since 2018 to all of a sudden having stones for hands. And for a guy who was touted as a 200 foot and responsible player, it's really hard to grasp the constant NZ turnovers. Just such a MASSIVE disappointment - and this is coming from somebody who was all about that trade when it happened.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

DelPen wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:20 pm As much as I and a lot of people ragged on Carter last year and it was all justified he has been good this year and he’s still the “type of player” that playoff teams trade for. I’d almost bet money he’s a King the end of the week.
Please God, let him be a King!
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

DelPen wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:20 pm As much as I and a lot of people ragged on Carter last year and it was all justified he has been good this year and he’s still the “type of player” that playoff teams trade for. I’d almost bet money he’s a King the end of the week.
I think you are right but his contract is a lot for a 4th liner.
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

Coffey Break wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:21 pm
lemieuxReturns wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:01 pm
Coffey Break wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:27 pm Reilly Smith killing his trade value with each successive shift.
Question for you CB, if you are a player and you know you are getting traded within the next few days or if you know that there is a good chance you are getting traded within the next few days do you play at a lesser level on purpose? Does a player play at a lesser ability if they know they are getting traded for the following reasons:
- the team acquiring you loses less and therefore you are in a better situation from both a fans perspective and from an organizational perspective.
- once you arrive at the new organization you turn it back on to show that the slump from the previous team was a system thing and not you, the player?

If the answer to either of those is ‘yes’ or even ‘possibly yes’ I think it is important to make a trade sooner rather than later. Now, I realize that is almost the deadline so it’s a mute point but you do have to wonder going forward if it is better to make the trade earlier than later if you know you want to trade a player.
That's a really interesting point. At the core, I have a hard time getting behind a player purposely playing bad - if not for ego/vanity, the fact that you are trying to showcase yourself to potential bidders. I think it's probably similar to the whole "tank model" you may think teams deploy. But I don't know how professional players can get behind losing games on purpose - with so much at stake for subsequent years (i.e., their playing careers).

In Smith's case, I simply cannot understand what is going on. Part of it could be system or the coach or whatever. But how does this guy go from doing what he has done in Vegas since 2018 to all of a sudden having stones for hands. And for a guy who was touted as a 200 foot and responsible player, it's really hard to grasp the constant NZ turnovers. Just such a MASSIVE disappointment - and this is coming from somebody who was all about that trade when it happened.
LOL of course....scratch everything I said here lemieux
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Dynasty1970 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:21 pm
Please God, let him be a King!
The funny thing is I’d send him there, retain salary and take conditional pick that will never materialize and it would still open up two roster spots which is more important.
Zalapski33
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Zalapski33 »

Smith gets one off the good work from Geno.
Nice shot Reilly,that was labeled.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:21 pm
I think you are right but his contract is a LOT for a 39 year old 4th liner.

Fixed it….
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:21 pm
Retain 50%. Makes it a lot easier.
stonewizard51
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stonewizard51 »

Whodahell is this Smith guy ?
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Smith with a 3 point game on trade deadline week. Go figure….