What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline?

Sign him
14%
Trade him
62%
Deal with it after the season
25%

Total votes: 65

Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline

Post by Sigwolf »

The Pens do not have a good track record with first round defensive picks with the last name Morrow. Bad flashbacks... Joe Morrow (2011).

Not that there's any correlation, but it does evoke some shivers.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Sigwolf wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:39 pm The Pens do not have a good track record with first round defensive picks with the last name Morrow. Bad flashbacks... Joe Morrow (2011).

Yes it does.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

If it turns out to be Morrow, Ponomarev and Bunting for Jake I'd call that a pretty solid trade by Dubas. Jake's a rental and that would be a haul. Judging from some of the initial chatter from some in the hockey media, I have a feeling that is NOT the deal and it's something a little less.
EDIT: just saw Madden and Pagnotta's comments.......maybe it even includes a 2nd rounder(!)?
Last edited by brwi on Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

Sigwolf wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:39 pm The Pens do not have a good track record with first round defensive picks with the last name Morrow. Bad flashbacks... Joe Morrow (2011).

From what I'm seeing, Morrow was a 2nd rounder. And we had pretty good luck with Dumoulin as another 2nd rounder from the Canes in an emotionally fraught trade.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:39 pm If they don't get a 1st, hopefully the 2 prospects are 2 of Carolina's better prospects. Rumor is Morrow 1 of them. He's a top 3 prospect for them.
Morrow is ranked their 3rd prospect by the Athletic. Nikishin is #1. Nadeau is #2. Morrow #3. Blake #4. I've hear Morrow and Blake, I've hear Morrow and Nadeau. All 3 after Nikishin are US College players.

Nadeau is only a freshman at U of Maine. Here's Elite Prospects and Athletic on Nadeau:

EP: The power that Nadeau creates off his shot is not only downright terrifying to witness in person, but also awe-inspiring from a mechanical point of view. He’s effectively stacked more nuance and deception to make it an even more dangerous threat. From his curl-and-drag attempts around sprawling defenders to his angle-changing release, Nadeau’s arms are always separated from his body leveraging the full force of his upper body leveraging down on the stick.

Athletic: 2. Bradly Nadeau, LW/RW, 18 (University of Maine)
The BCHL’s leading scorer while playing on a line with his older brother Josh (a player I vouched for as a worthy late-round flier ahead of last year’s draft) and one of the top-producing freshmen in college hockey while doing the same, Nadeau is a multi-dimensional forward whose hands, skating and shooting all get very high grades. He’s capable of creating offense in a variety of ways, whether that’s bursting wide or pulling away from defenders in transition with his quick feet, taking the puck right at or through coverage with his maneuverability, attacking on angles and cuts, or leaning into a pinpoint shot (whether off of catch-and-releases, standstill shooting mechanics off of the flank on the power play or through his one-timer — which the Vees have tried to open by playing him, a right-handed shot, on his off wing this season). His 113 points in 54 games last year were the most by an under-18 skater in the BCHL since Kyle Turris in 2007, outproducing players like Kent Johnson, Alex Newhook and Tyson Jost at the same age. He has built upon his excellent statistical profile playing to between 1.3 and 1.4 points per game with the Black Bears this season. He’s a 5-foot-10 winger and that was the primary reason for his availability at No. 30 (he was No. 22 on my list) in the draft but his game is projectable and he’s got legitimate top-six upside.

Jackson Blake is a sophomore at U of North Dakota. Son of former NHLer Jason Blake:

EP: A better player in-tight than in open-ice, Blake combines his puck-handling and playmaking to great effect. In-tight, he adjusts his puck positioning to hook and slip passes through pressure, and dekes through defenders without entering a glide. He pre-scans before every touch, then creativity connects with teammates through defenders, leads them into space with area passes, and works give-and-goes.

Athletic: 4. Jackson Blake, RW, 20 (University of North Dakota)
After torching the Minnesota high school circuit and getting his feet wet on a title run with the Steel in his draft year, Blake led the Steel in scoring in his post-draft season, was one of the USHL’s top playmakers as an 18-year-old and has now led North Dakota in scoring as a freshman and sophomore at 19 and 20.

He’s a high-energy, uptempo worker who compensates for his smallish 5-foot-11 frame (which he has the benefit of time to develop due to his August birthday and is now up to 173 pounds) by playing hard and fast, while also having plenty of skill. I love his approach, which looks to attack the inside and make plays. There’s no backing down to his game, he makes a lot happen in and out of traffic, and I’ve seen him make difficult plays out of nothing with the puck on his stick (though he can also force it at times). He’s got quick hands in congested areas and a great sense of timing and opportunism around the offensive zone. I like the way he navigates offensively with it and finds ways to involve himself in plays through timing without it. There’s a lot to like.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

largegarlic wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:45 pm

From what I'm seeing, Morrow was a 2nd rounder. And we had pretty good luck with Dumoulin as another 2nd rounder from the Canes in an emotionally fraught trade.
Yup, my bad. I immediately honed in on 'top prospect' and 'Morrow' and thought first round pick. Maybe that's enough to change the trajectory? Assuming he's actually involved at all.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

David Pagnotta
@TheFourthPeriod
I believe Hurricanes D prospect Scott Morrow is one of the two prospects heading to the Penguins.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:51 pm David Pagnotta
@TheFourthPeriod
I believe Hurricanes D prospect Scott Morrow is one of the two prospects heading to the Penguins.
I was commenting to someone on Twitter about him, and a UMass fan says they don't think Morrow will be back for his senior year. Said he's ready for pro game now.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Buccigross thinks it could be Blake. Athletic has him as Carolina's #4th best prospect.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Ugh, Seravalli saying the Scott Morrow is NOT in the deal.

brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

FLPensFan wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:58 pm
KG wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:51 pm David Pagnotta
@TheFourthPeriod
I was commenting to someone on Twitter about him, and a UMass fan says they don't think Morrow will be back for his senior year. Said he's ready for pro game now.
Carolina's plan and what Morrow wanted to do this year was sign a contract and head to the AHL at least, but that fell apart when Carolina's AHl affiliate Chicago Wolves decided to go independent so Canes have no AHL affiliate to send players to and as a result Morrow stayed at UM and others in Carolina's system are scattered around the A.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

Are they going to actually announce this tonight?
Last edited by Maestro on Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:06 pm Ugh, Seravalli saying the Scott Morrow is NOT in the deal.

Ha. I've read up too much on Carolina prospects to not be part of the deal now! lol
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

What’s the rest of the deal?
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Admin wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:23 pm What’s the rest of the deal?
Hasn't come out yet! :scared:

Pierre LeBrun
@PierreVLeBrun
And oh yeah, trade call just ended. Jake Guentzel is a Carolina Hurricane
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

Pierre LeBrun
@PierreVLeBrun
·
1m
Full trade:
Pittsburgh trades Jake Guentzel (25% retained) and Ty Smith to Carolina in exchange for Michael Bunting, Ville Koivunen, Vasili Ponomarev, Cruz Lucius, Carolina’s 1st RD pick in 2024 (Conditional) and Carolina’s 5th RD pick in 2024 (Conditional).
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Ponomarev ranked #6 prospect by Athletic, Koivunen ranked #7, Lucius ranked #9.

Could have sworn the statements were QUALITY over QUANTITY.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

5th round pick to Penguins.... Part of the deal
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

No top prospect back but the 3 prospects we did get are the 6th, 7th and 9th rated prospects in their system.

Definitely stocks the system. Would have preferred more quality over quantity but...
Last edited by KG on Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

Ha yes I hit on Cruz Lucius.

That's what I was waiting for.
No Blake. No Morrow.

Great insiders.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

To a division rival Jake goes…..Ok, now gut the rest of the team.
Last edited by Dynasty1970 on Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

I mean, I am happy with this.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

That's a lot of cool names coming to Pittsburgh.

All the best Jake!