Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by Sigwolf »

Emily Kaplan is the most awkward, creepy interviewer I have ever seen. Why does she continue to be employed in that capacity?
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

Because she.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Sigwolf wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:55 am Emily Kaplan is the most awkward, creepy interviewer I have ever seen. Why does she continue to be employed in that capacity?
The commentary during the game frustrated me more than Kaplan. So disconnected from what was going on. An "action-packed first period", really? I thought it was a rather stale affair.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:02 am
Sigwolf wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:55 am Emily Kaplan is the most awkward, creepy interviewer I have ever seen. Why does she continue to be employed in that capacity?
The commentary during the game frustrated me more than Kaplan. So disconnected from what was going on. An "action-packed first period", really? I thought it was a rather stale affair.
Totally. Up-selling it....Levy called Nieto, Crosby and Acciari, Karlsson during the game too. I get the 8 and 5 are the common denominator there, but be better.
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

In case anyone didn't see this in the Trib today:

Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

I've often wondered that myself. The way she stares at them as they answer is strange to say the least.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

Last edited by Three Stars on Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Four words: Read the board rules.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Word from the Detroit Twittersphere is that Jeff Petry will be a healthy scratch for the Wings tonight.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:47 pm Word from the Detroit Twittersphere is that Jeff Petry will be a healthy scratch for the Wings tonight.
2 games into the season, 0 points, and -2. In Detroit, you get scratched. I am curious if the nachos are better than in Pittsburgh?

Scratch Carter and let them debate on X (formerly known as ...) which club offers better chips, cheese, and toppings.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

BigMcK wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:25 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:47 pm Word from the Detroit Twittersphere is that Jeff Petry will be a healthy scratch for the Wings tonight.
2 games into the season, 0 points, and -2. In Detroit, you get scratched. I am curious if the nachos are better than in Pittsburgh?

Scratch Carter and let them debate on X (formerly known as ...) which club offers better chips, cheese, and toppings.
In Detroit, when you get scratched, you have to work the Little Caesar's concession stand in the arena. Pizza, Pizza!!
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Thanks 3*** I now feel the urge to buy the big box of crayons. :D ;)

After seeing Flower getting retirement like receptions - made sure I got tickets for 12/18 v the Wild. Who knows; will he, won't he? But I gotta be there.
Last night in Montreal.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

For those who have jumped off the Mike Sullivan train or are standing at the door ready to jump, I was reading some interesting commentary around WBS as it pertains to Sullivan.

If you aren't aware, just like it was when Bylsma was here, WBS for all intents and purposes runs the same system in the AHL as the big club does in the NHL. So they are playing Sullivan's system. It's only 3 games in, but the feedback I am hearing is the team does not look good...once again. In 3 games, they are 1 and 2, with only 5 goals scored and 11 goals against. While some of this is on the WBS coaching staff...they are told to implement and use Sullivan's systems.

Like the NHL club, the AHL club has struggled mightily the last 5 seasons. They have missed the playoffs 4 of 5 seasons (or would have in the cancelled seasons), and have not made it out of the 1st round in the year they did make it. They haven't finished above 4th in their division since 2017-2018.

Now, you might be able to counter that with...the Penguins don't have much in the way of prospects. Well, I'd counter that...you drafted the players you have. Who have you developed into a player that has made a significant contribution? If you don't like that Puustinen doesn't play enough defense for you, why did you draft a guy who didn't play enough defense? Why aren't you drafting more players that "fit your mold?"

Just some food for thought. No right or wrong in saying it's all on Sullivan, the AHL coaches stink, or the WBS talent has been too watered down.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Geezer »

They don't have many of their draftees in the line up. They're heavy with mid 20's + players they signed from other teams this year. That seems even worse.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Geezer wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:02 pm They don't have many of their draftees in the line up. They're heavy with mid 20's + players they signed from other teams this year. That seems even worse.
It is worse. They have too many AHL vets that they can't dress them all, and they are still struggling. I guess they too practice the Mike Sullivan system of slow season starts. :roll:
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

FLPensFan wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:37 pm For those who have jumped off the Mike Sullivan train or are standing at the door ready to jump, I was reading some interesting commentary around WBS as it pertains to Sullivan.

If you aren't aware, just like it was when Bylsma was here, WBS for all intents and purposes runs the same system in the AHL as the big club does in the NHL. So they are playing Sullivan's system. It's only 3 games in, but the feedback I am hearing is the team does not look good...once again. In 3 games, they are 1 and 2, with only 5 goals scored and 11 goals against. While some of this is on the WBS coaching staff...they are told to implement and use Sullivan's systems.

Like the NHL club, the AHL club has struggled mightily the last 5 seasons. They have missed the playoffs 4 of 5 seasons (or would have in the cancelled seasons), and have not made it out of the 1st round in the year they did make it. They haven't finished above 4th in their division since 2017-2018.

Now, you might be able to counter that with...the Penguins don't have much in the way of prospects. Well, I'd counter that...you drafted the players you have. Who have you developed into a player that has made a significant contribution? If you don't like that Puustinen doesn't play enough defense for you, why did you draft a guy who didn't play enough defense? Why aren't you drafting more players that "fit your mold?"

Just some food for thought. No right or wrong in saying it's all on Sullivan, the AHL coaches stink, or the WBS talent has been too watered down.
For my money, any player you draft, won't be ready for a while. FIgure 2-3 years in the minors (and juniors) at least unless you're talking about top end talent. We're not in a position to draft the likes of McDavid and Bedard and haven't been for many years, so what's drafted lags behind what gets called up.

We don't have much in the way of prospects. Puustinen was a 7th rounder, so maybe not a good example. That late in the draft, you get anyone and hope they'll overcome their deficiencies. The only other forwards Pens drafted were Svejkovsky (2020 4th) and Poulin (2019 1st, 19th overall). Theyre the kind of players the organisation goes for: hard working bottom 6 types. That isn't a winning strategy against teams that can play future top 6 players against you.

If the goal is to stock WBS with players that can plug a gap in the lineup and be defensively responsible; mission accomplished. I do think that's the strategy by the organisation, even if I don't like it all that much, so they draft the players that fit the mold.

The real problem is that it hasn't translated into success in the NHL (which I'll loosely define as making the 2nd round). That needs addressing, but you can't just buy a bunch of goals. Teams are willing to part with their offensively challenged but defensively gifted players a lot sooner than their defensively dubious scoring players.

I'm not willing to pin the failings of our team on any one cause. There are many things Sullivan does get right and hiring someone else is no guarantee or likelihood of doing better. There are three awesome players on this team and some really good ones like Letang. Pens need to figure out what they need to win games.

When it comes to Crosby, it's simple. Guentzel on his wing and any warm body on the other. Malkin has great wingers now and the top 6 looks great. But then there are two zombie lines that kind of do nothing and have no identity. Our top 4D will be fine as they are, though their minutes need to be managed more, giving them some more rest. The third pair needs to fill the gaps, PK and ~12-15 minutes a night.

Go crazy: Shea-Ludvig eventually. Both of them should be able to PK meaning Letang won't have to.
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

FLPensFan wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:37 pm Now, you might be able to counter that with...the Penguins don't have much in the way of prospects. Well, I'd counter that...you drafted the players you have. Who have you developed into a player that has made a significant contribution? If you don't like that Puustinen doesn't play enough defense for you, why did you draft a guy who didn't play enough defense? Why aren't you drafting more players that "fit your mold?"
That’s a very self serving statement. The Penguins don’t have much in the way of prospects because they’ve tried to contend over the years instead of acquiring the high draft picks needed to actually get prospects worth a darn. I personally would rather have the success they’ve had in the past 16 years as opposed to higher draft picks, but maybe that’s just me.

Puustinen finished last year in WBS on an epic goalless streak, but I’m sure you knew that already. Perhaps he could try being consistently successful at scoring before we declare him a missed opportunity.

Edit: 3 games, zero points, and -6 for him this year. Must be Sullivan’s fault.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

FLPensFan wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:37 pm For those who have jumped off the Mike Sullivan train or are standing at the door ready to jump, I was reading some interesting commentary around WBS as it pertains to Sullivan.

The last drafted player to play more than 10 games for the Penguins is still Simon, 8 years ago. Say what you want about trading draft picks, not picking high, or a bad scouting department, just by accident this franchise should be able to develop someone who can play more than 3 games.

Since Simons draft, the Penguins are 0-31 (through the 2021 draft) in developing a drafted player and how many players in the last few years have left for Europe rather than keep trying to make the NHL club?

I think it's more about the commitment to player development more than anything else. Like you said, WBS has been bad team for a few years and I don't think it's all on the drafting or the lack of draft picks.
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

That’s the Gambler’s Fallacy but for draft picks. “If I keep pulling this lever, I HAVE to win at least one, or there’s something wrong with the machine.”
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

Three Stars wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:51 pm That’s the Gambler’s Fallacy but for draft picks. “If I keep pulling this lever, I HAVE to win at least one, or there’s something wrong with the machine.”
Better to apply the Addict's Fallacy, but for coaches? "He won the Cup twice in his first year and a half as coach of the team, if we stick with him he HAS to win another playoff round or there is something wrong with the team." In six years since his coaching has led the Pens to exactly one playoff round win. (Missed the playoffs last year, but in reality also did in 2020 when being swept (by a non-playoff team, btw) in the added fifth 'qualifying round' counted as 'making the playoffs')

You know who else won two Cups in the same time period with the same team? Matt Murray. Sometimes the right person succeeds in the right situation at the right time. That doesn't mean they will always be the right person in every situation. It took a few teams to figure out that Murray wasn't the right player to succeed in any situation, but this whole time the Pens organization has stuck with the fallacy that Sullivan can do no wrong, and certain fans lap it up. I liked Murray, fully understood why the team picked him over Fleury at the time, recognize how personal issues could have affected his game, and appreciate how several teams have chosen to go another way.

With this team, it's the bottom six's fault (even though they have been almost 100% turned over). It the defense's fault (even though they have been about 50% turned over). It's the Core's fault (even though they had already won a Cup prior to the instatement of the current messiah, and were in the Final the year prior to that win).

At no point should anyone dare question the genius coaching of the magnificent Sullivan. There has been, and never could be, a better coach in the league. If the Pens don't win a playoff round in the next ten years, no one should dare suggest replacing Sullivan, because there is just no one better available, and there never will be.
I personally would rather have the success they’ve had in the past 16 years as opposed to higher draft picks, but maybe that’s just me.
Can one also assume you'd rather continue the 'success' they've had in the last 6 years of Sullivan's 7.5 year tenure rather than perhaps try a different approach? I wouldn't... but maybe that's just me.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

Bottom line. Can anyone honestly say if Crosby and Malkin were 3 or 4 years older when Sullivan took over that he would have won anything? He's not a good coach, sucked in Boston (because no PAIR of generational prime age talents), and once he got his full reach of his way integrated into the system and the stars for older, he was completely unable to succeed for SIX YEARS. Not an aberration, just his real level of skill... failure. Couldn't win in Boston, couldn't win here without exceptional over the top talent. He sucks, he always has. Not a popular opinion but it's mine.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Three Stars wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:46 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:37 pm Now, you might be able to counter that with...the Penguins don't have much in the way of prospects. Well, I'd counter that...you drafted the players you have. Who have you developed into a player that has made a significant contribution? If you don't like that Puustinen doesn't play enough defense for you, why did you draft a guy who didn't play enough defense? Why aren't you drafting more players that "fit your mold?"
That’s a very self serving statement. The Penguins don’t have much in the way of prospects because they’ve tried to contend over the years instead of acquiring the high draft picks needed to actually get prospects worth a darn. I personally would rather have the success they’ve had in the past 16 years as opposed to higher draft picks, but maybe that’s just me.

Puustinen finished last year in WBS on an epic goalless streak, but I’m sure you knew that already. Perhaps he could try being consistently successful at scoring before we declare him a missed opportunity.

Just like with Zohorna, you seem to think I have a love affair with Puustinen or he's my favorite player. I'm making a statement, using an example of a prospect we have. Puustinen was a 7th round draft pick. He's scored 44 goals over the last 2 seasons. Just by his offensive output alone, it's foolish that the Penguins have not given him more of a chance. No prospect is going to be perfect...and if they are, those are usually called lottery or 1st round picks. How long of goalless streaks did McGinn, Kapanen, Carter and Blueger go through last year?

The fact of the matter is the Penguins have had multiple prospects come through that have shown enough to get more of a shot at the NHL level, and the Penguins have not granted them that chance. Bjorkqvist and Hallander were both set to get regular playing time for the NHL team, however, neither player was a fan at the lack of chances they got, and by the time the Penguins were "ready to let them play," they had already made the decision to move on and go back overseas.

And then people will go back to the "well, nobody else picked them up in the NHL." We've been through that before...unless you are talking bonafide top 6 or top 4 players, every team has their own slew of bottom 6ers and 3rd pairing guys in the AHL that they've spent draft resources on, development time on, etc...that teams would rather continue to run with rather than picking up a guy 23 or 24 from another team, as 24 is pretty much the age out period (6 years from draft year). It's a dumb mentality, but it is an NHL mentality just like the guy drafted 4th overall who is a "bust," but the team refuses to let the player go or wants an arm and a leg to trade them away, like they were still a blue chip 1st overall pick. Sam Bennett was the most recent

You don't need to have high picks to draft well. The Penguins could have drafted Adam Fox late in the 2nd round of 2016. Instead they drafted Bjorkqvist, and Fox went 5 picks later. They also could have drafted Jesper Bratt or Brandon Hagel in the 6th round of 2016...but instead they took Niclas Almari to end the 5th, and Joe Masonius to end the 6th. They could have drafted Drake Batherson in 2017. He went in the 4th round, but instead we took Clayton Phillips at the end of the 3rd round. 2018 round 5, Yegor Sharangovich...but we took Justin Almeida 11 picks earlier.

I'm cherry picking the best players there, but I'm also showing that you can find good players outside the 1st round if you can scout and draft worth a damn. Instead Bjorkqvist went back home, so did Almari and Almeida, and Phillips and Masonius never even made it to the AHL.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

FLPensFan wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:17 pm

Just like with Zohorna, you seem to think I have a love affair with Puustinen or he's my favorite player. I'm making a statement, using an example of a prospect we have. Puustinen was a 7th round draft pick. He's scored 44 goals over the last 2 seasons. Just by his offensive output alone, it's foolish that the Penguins have not given him more of a chance. No prospect is going to be perfect...and if they are, those are usually called lottery or 1st round picks. How long of goalless streaks did McGinn, Kapanen, Carter and Blueger go through last year?

The fact of the matter is the Penguins have had multiple prospects come through that have shown enough to get more of a shot at the NHL level, and the Penguins have not granted them that chance. Bjorkqvist and Hallander were both set to get regular playing time for the NHL team, however, neither player was a fan at the lack of chances they got, and by the time the Penguins were "ready to let them play," they had already made the decision to move on and go back overseas.

And then people will go back to the "well, nobody else picked them up in the NHL." We've been through that before...unless you are talking bonafide top 6 or top 4 players, every team has their own slew of bottom 6ers and 3rd pairing guys in the AHL that they've spent draft resources on, development time on, etc...that teams would rather continue to run with rather than picking up a guy 23 or 24 from another team, as 24 is pretty much the age out period (6 years from draft year). It's a dumb mentality, but it is an NHL mentality just like the guy drafted 4th overall who is a "bust," but the team refuses to let the player go or wants an arm and a leg to trade them away, like they were still a blue chip 1st overall pick. Sam Bennett was the most recent

You don't need to have high picks to draft well. The Penguins could have drafted Adam Fox late in the 2nd round of 2016. Instead they drafted Bjorkqvist, and Fox went 5 picks later. They also could have drafted Jesper Bratt or Brandon Hagel in the 6th round of 2016...but instead they took Niclas Almari to end the 5th, and Joe Masonius to end the 6th. They could have drafted Drake Batherson in 2017. He went in the 4th round, but instead we took Clayton Phillips at the end of the 3rd round. 2018 round 5, Yegor Sharangovich...but we took Justin Almeida 11 picks earlier.

I'm cherry picking the best players there, but I'm also showing that you can find good players outside the 1st round if you can scout and draft worth a damn. Instead Bjorkqvist went back home, so did Almari and Almeida, and Phillips and Masonius never even made it to the AHL.
In all fairness if the Penguins drafted those players we’d be saying the opposite, that they could have had Bjorkqvist. They simply prioritize scrub veterans.
SteelCityFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by SteelCityFan »

Daniel wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:43 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:17 pm

In all fairness if the Penguins drafted those players we’d be saying the opposite, that they could have had Bjorkqvist. They simply prioritize scrub veterans.
So what you’re saying is that our scouting and developing of players is dog ####. I couldn’t agree more