Official Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Official Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Badger Bob wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:52 pm BTW:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootba ... rom-podium

LOLOLOL!
Leadership! In abundance.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

He can take his attitude and word salads and hit the road. HC Shelf Life Exceeded!
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Grunthy »

Badger Bob wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:39 pm
Grunthy wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:32 pm Bills certainly needed a bunch of ref help to get past a **** steeler team.
I surely hope you are saying that sarcastically.
Nope. The Steelers got within 1 and if Rudolph didn’t make a bonehead play in the first half it would have been tied. The Steelers played bad and almost made it a game (they still probably wouldn’t have won). Refs were certainly one-sided. Doesn’t mean the Steelers lost because of them (Steelers shot themselves in the foot early), but the refs certainly came to the bills rescue more times.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I will be happy we were playing football longer than Cleveland, Cincinnati, Providence Metro Area and Dallas. And if Philly only lasts a few hours longer that will be the cherry on top.

And when a stud OL goes 5 spots up from our pick I will have wished we never turned to Rudolph to win football games.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

LOLOLOL!
Not sure why this is funny. Tomlin has never answered to anything, yet his job has always been secure. Nothing has changed, and his contract will be renewed.

It was evident from the beginning of this game. The score was still close, they had a chance to make it a seven point game in the first half, and they showed Tomlin on the sidelines, dead eyes, talking to no one, leading no one. He showed no interaction with the team the entire game. He was defeated before the first kickoff.

Yet he will be brought back, because the Steelers do not fire head coaches.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

DelPen wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:33 pm I will be happy we were playing football longer than Cleveland, Cincinnati, Providence Metro Area and Dallas. And if Philly only lasts a few hours longer that will be the cherry on top.

And when a stud OL goes 5 spots up from our pick I will have wished we never turned to Rudolph to win football games.
Um
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

DelPen wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:28 pm
DelPen wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:33 pm I will be happy we were playing football longer than Cleveland, Cincinnati, Providence Metro Area and Dallas. And if Philly only lasts a few hours longer that will be the cherry on top.

Um
Dude
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I’m feeling less mad now
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

At least one Kelce is done. Now if the other one gets eliminated next week, I'll be happy. I'm sick of them and their ugly mother. And Andy Reid and Mulholmes. And Jake from State Farm.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

Sigwolf wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:50 pm

LOLOLOL!
Not sure why this is funny. Tomlin has never answered to anything, yet his job has always been secure. Nothing has changed, and his contract will be renewed.

It was evident from the beginning of this game. The score was still close, they had a chance to make it a seven point game in the first half, and they showed Tomlin on the sidelines, dead eyes, talking to no one, leading no one. He showed no interaction with the team the entire game. He was defeated before the first kickoff.

Yet he will be brought back, because the Steelers do not fire head coaches.
It was funny, because the man is a joke of a coach. He's stuck around way past his expiration date, just like Sully. Living off long past successes. I think there's a good chance he may leave on his own accord in the off season, but maybe not.

I see Ron Cook is advocating Tomlin's exit this morning:

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ron ... 2401160060
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

Tomlin is coming back 🤦
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

Reportedly, Tomlin told the team yesterday that he's is coming back next year. I can't see the Steelers keeping a lame duck HC around, so we'll see if they extend him. I think they're satisfied with the outcome this year. They're still making money hand over fist, so it doesn't matter. I think the current Rooney leadership has become very much like the Pirates ownership. They are satisfied with mediocrity as long as the money is rolling in.

And this is interesting:

Kenny all butt hurt because he didn't start the last regular season game and the playoff game?
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Badger Bob wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:32 am Reportedly, Tomlin told the team yesterday that he's is coming back next year. I can't see the Steelers keeping a lame duck HC around, so we'll see if they extend him. I think they're satisfied with the outcome this year. They're still making money hand over fist, so it doesn't matter. I think the current Rooney leadership has become very much like the Pirates ownership. They are satisfied with mediocrity as long as the money is rolling in.

And this is interesting:

Kenny all butt hurt because he didn't start the last regular season game and the playoff game?
Only Tomlin supporters will start the season saying the team can win 13 games, then praise him for the team winning 10. Sure there were injuries, but even with the injuries they should have won 12 games. This was a badly coached team from day 1 and you can see with how the players acted. Najee will be gone because he dared to question the culture of the team, when he was right. You can also see in Tomlin's demeanor that something is wrong.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Diontae threw his support behind brining Rudolph back next season.

There is something seriously broken with the relationship between Pickett and the rest of the offense.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

DelPen wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:43 pm Diontae threw his support behind brining Rudolph back next season.

There is something seriously broken with the relationship between Pickett and the rest of the offense.
I agree. Who would have that thought Pickens would have been happy behind a 1 carry what 2 yard performance vs the Ravens. I think PIckens over did it with the ref criticism, but he did put put with getting slapped in the face and no penalty so I think it's justified.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

Mitch will be cut. Mason will leave for greener pastures. Pickett will be left. :face:
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

pronovost19 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:51 pm Mitch will be cut. Mason will leave for greener pastures. Pickett will be left. :face:
It was nice of Kenny to skip out on talking to any media which will now not be until the spring.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

DelPen wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:30 pm
pronovost19 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:51 pm Mitch will be cut. Mason will leave for greener pastures. Pickett will be left. :face:
It was nice of Kenny to skip out on talking to any media which will now not be until the spring.
I'm starting to wonder if maybe Kenny is the problem on the offense off the field. The offensive players seem to have an immaturity problem on and off the field when Kenny is the leader. Not so much with Mason.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I don’t watch a lot of Bills game but Josh Allen is treated with kids gloves and allowed to do whatever he wants. That fake slide got him in the end zone and the hit as he was sliding was nowhere near his head yet he snapped his head back. That hit happens all the time with no call but he gets it for some reason.

The officiating was atrocious. I’m not going to say it was the reason we lost but it hurt chances of a comeback.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

IMO, the Steelers got a break on the Muth fumble. I don't know what the replay guys saw, but that looked to be a clear fumble and recovery by Buffalo with the defender in bounds. The Steelers lost because of too many mistakes. Pickens fumble, Mason throwing the pick in the endzone, Tomlin's idiotic clock management at halftime approached, stupid false starts, etc. I have no problem with the officiating of that game. It just shows lack of preparation and discipline which has become a hallmark of Tomlin's team for many years now. And unfortunately, I don't think he's going anywhere soon.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Badger Bob wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:05 am IMO, the Steelers got a break on the Muth fumble. I don't know what the replay guys saw, but that looked to be a clear fumble and recovery by Buffalo with the defender in bounds. The Steelers lost because of too many mistakes. Pickens fumble, Mason throwing the pick in the endzone, Tomlin's idiotic clock management at halftime approached, stupid false starts, etc. I have no problem with the officiating of that game. It just shows lack of preparation and discipline which has become a hallmark of Tomlin's team for many years now. And unfortunately, I don't think he's going anywhere soon.
They were saying the ball hit Muths head, which it looked like it did. Not sure why a ball hitting the helmet when the player is out of bounds equals recovery but apparently that's a thing. It would have been nice if the refs explained that, but I think the refs were pretty bad the entire game.

I also think the Steelers weren't prepared for this game at all. I still think they should have done a quick play after the Pickens fumble, the bills gave them plenty of time and even spiking the ball would have been a better result.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Once the ball is out of bounds it’s dead and a player who is established out of bounds touching it transfers to the ball so whichever team had prior possession retains.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

So Kenny is still QB1 but wasn’t requested to play over the third string guy even when he looked to be struggling. What a crock of ****. And if you have to call your starter QB1 he is not worthy of starting.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

DelPen wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:56 pm So Kenny is still QB1 but wasn’t requested to play over the third string guy even when he looked to be struggling. What a crock of ****. And if you have to call your starter QB1 he is not worthy of starting.
I think Kenny is still QB1 on January 18th since he's likely the only one on the roster who will still be on the roster for next season. Not that I don't think they'll try to replace him, but I'm not sure how much faith they can have in him at this point. They knew Ben was the guy from almost the beginning and there is no way a backup, let alone 3rd string, would be playing if Ben could physically walk.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

FWIW:
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin expects to sign contract extension, will look outside organization for next offensive coordinator
Tomlin also said he hopes Mason Rudolph returns to challenge Kenny Pickett for starting QB job
RAY FITTIPALDO
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
JAN 18, 2024

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said he expects to sign a contract extension this offseason, a period he said will bring many changes to the team.

After Tomlin’s press conference, team president Art Rooney II told the Post-Gazette the Steelers “plan to extend Mike’s contract.”

One of those changes will be hiring a new offensive coordinator from outside the organization. Tomlin promoted from within the past two times he hired a coach to coordinate his offense. When asked why, he said, “I feel it’s appropriate.”

Tomlin fired Matt Canada, who had no previous NFL experience before coming to the Steelers, in November. Running backs coach Eddie Faulkner and quarterbacks coach Mike Sullivan handled the coordinating duties for the remainder of the season, but they won’t be involved in the search for the permanent position.

“I’m looking at outside candidates and lining up the pecking order there,” said Tomlin, who added he is looking for a coach with previous experience coordinating an NFL offense.

Concerning his muddled quarterback situation, Tomlin said he would like to see Mason Rudolph return to the team to challenge Kenny Pickett for the starting job next season. Rudolph, who led the Steelers to three consecutive wins to get into the playoffs, is set to become an unrestricted free agent in March.

Tomlin turned to Rudolph after backup Mitch Trubisky failed to win a game in his two starts when Pickett was injured. Once Pickett was healthy again in late December, Tomlin decided to stick with Rudolph as his starter.

Tomlin said Rudolph’s play changed how he views him.

“Certainly,” he said. “I don’t think any of us can deny what we’ve seen over the last month or so. I cannot underscore how impressive it is to be ready to deliver — and he was. That preparedness showed. We’re less speculative about his capabilities because there is evidence of it.”

Tomlin also expressed confidence in Pickett, but he said the 2024 season will be his most important season to date.

“It’s a big year for him,” he said. “It’s a huge year for him.”
When he was asked directly if he believes his quarterback for next season is on the roster, Tomlin said, “Yes.”

Tomlin did acknowledge a contract extension is likely to come sooner rather than later because it will quiet some speculation about his commitment, but he said he’s not worried about when it will be announced.

“That’s a component of it,” he said. “But that’s probably the only level of importance for me. Security is cool, but it’s not a top priority for me. I’m not job scared, but it does provide less questions.

“It’ll get done when it gets done. It’s not a top priority for me.”
So it's looks like Tomlin would like to see Rudolph come back to compete against Pickett. And it sure looks like a lot of kissing up to Rudolph in those quotes to help entice him back. We'll see. Obviously, we've seen the last of Trubisky in a Steelers uniform.

Also not surprised that the Rooneys will offer Mediocre Mike a contract extension. I figured that the only way Tomlin would go would be deciding to just leave on his own, but that ain't happening.