2015 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: 2015 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Post by Lt. Dish »

Zarovich wrote:Gave it away...
I'm going to bed. I can't freakin' BELIEVE this.

I haven't been this...I don't even know how to describe it. WHY!?!
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Melancin blew it. But the truth is the Pirates would have needed to sweep the cards to have a chance. And that was not going to happen. At least now hurdle can plan to rest some arms.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

I miss Jung Ho. :cry:
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Post by Tim Thomasen »

lemieuxReturns wrote:Melancin blew it.
Not really. The Pirate hitters not being able to score any runs despite the bases being loaded three times, Cutch doing nothing at the plate and gaffes by Marte and Polanco is what really blew it, not Melancon.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Post by Tim Thomasen »

Lt. Dish wrote:

Easy. There a talented, but very flawed team. That's why.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

Tim Thomasen wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:

You're right on, Tim. I agree. I doubt anyone would disagree.

The Cards are flawed, too, for that matter. But it's crazy: They don't seem to show it at the worst possible times, they recover better, or they get left off the hook. Last night, they got left off the hook again and again. When the Bucs loaded the bases the first time, I thought, "Man, we got this." Then, well...you saw it.

Anyhow, it's disappointing, but it's a new day. Take the next two, and see what happens. Maybe the Braves won't be useless and the Cards' flaws will rise.

But I'll say this about a WC vs. Arrieta: Sure, I'd like to avoid the whole drama of it. But I'm already absolutely fed up with reading and hearing about the Bucs are toast vs. Arrieta. I get it; he's a phenomenal pitcher lately. You'd have to be dense or blind not to see what he's been doing. But we all remember what the Bucs and our fans did to Cueto. If it comes to it, fans need to buck up and get over their fatalistic Pittsburghness and rattle Arrieta's cage. He hasn't been there before; the Bucs have. He can have a bad night; Lord knows, he had a subpar few years before suddenly becoming bionic. How does anyone know at this point whether it's sustainable? How much is growing mystique? Three months overcomes an entire mediocre career? Let the Cubs and their fans feel overconfident with Cinderella at the dance; she turned back to a scullery maid at the end of the night, you know.
Faubert5
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Post by Faubert5 »

Lt. Dish wrote:
Tim Thomasen wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:

The Cards are flawed, too, for that matter. But it's crazy: They don't seem to show it at the worst possible times, they recover better, or they get left off the hook. Last night, they got left off the hook again and again. When the Bucs loaded the bases the first time, I thought, "Man, we got this." Then, well...you saw it.

Anyhow, it's disappointing, but it's a new day. Take the next two, and see what happens. Maybe the Braves won't be useless and the Cards' flaws will rise.

But I'll say this about a WC vs. Arrieta: Sure, I'd like to avoid the whole drama of it. But I'm already absolutely fed up with reading and hearing about the Bucs are toast vs. Arrieta. I get it; he's a phenomenal pitcher lately. You'd have to be dense or blind not to see what he's been doing. But we all remember what the Bucs and our fans did to Cueto. If it comes to it, fans need to buck up and get over their fatalistic Pittsburghness and rattle Arrieta's cage. He hasn't been there before; the Bucs have. He can have a bad night; Lord knows, he had a subpar few years before suddenly becoming bionic. How does anyone know at this point whether it's sustainable? How much is growing mystique? Three months overcomes an entire mediocre career? Let the Cubs and their fans feel overconfident with Cinderella at the dance; she turned back to a scullery maid at the end of the night, you know.
Hit him early and trust that Cole has a great outing.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

So happy (sarc alert) to see Morton tanking when we need him most.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

NashvilleCat wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:
Tim Thomasen wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:

Hit him early and trust that Cole has a great outing.
Yes. Both are very possible. But I agree--early is the key. They have to get to Arrieta early and not let him get settled.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

Humperdink wrote:So happy (sarc alert) to see Morton tanking when we need him most.
So the Cards get to celebrate in our park. Great. Cubs are up big vs. the Reds, too.

What a let down. Charlie, way to go.

And the bats go cold again. What a #@!%ed up series.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Tim Thomasen »

Lt. Dish wrote:
Tim Thomasen wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:

Your right, it's crazy. I mean the Cards have had to deal with injuries throughout the year to key players like Wainwright, Molina, Adams, Grichuk etc and yet have really never missed a beat and are going to win over 100 games. Maybe you chalk it up to a darn good farm system and a winning mentality that's hammered into players from the moment they walk into their system, but it's crazy indeed.

It's just frustrating because for as good as the Cards have been all year, the Pirates could realistically be leading the division if they just beat the Reds and Brewers. Maybe i'm oversimplifying this, but I feel if they didn't lay two goose eggs against the Brewers for example, things could be looking for positive for the Bucs with regards to the division.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

Tim Thomasen wrote:
Your right, it's crazy. I mean the Cards have had to deal with injuries throughout the year to key players like Wainwright, Molina, Adams, Grichuk etc and yet have really never missed a beat and are going to win over 100 games. Maybe you chalk it up to a darn good farm system and a winning mentality that's hammered into players from the moment they walk into their system, but it's crazy indeed.

It's just frustrating because for as good as the Cards have been all year, the Pirates could realistically be leading the division if they just beat the Reds and Brewers. Maybe i'm oversimplifying this, but I feel if they didn't lay two goose eggs against the Brewers for example, things could be looking for positive for the Bucs with regards to the division.
I don't think you're oversimplifying, Tim. It falls under the category of "you beat the teams you're supposed to beat." I was talking to someone recently who said that it makes him sick that the Bucs played the best team in baseball pretty even and let the Milwaukee Brewers keep them from winning the division.

And about the Cards' farm system and mentality, yeah. As frustrating as it is for us, you can't take anything away from them. I still feel that they're the luckiest team in the league :wink: , but no one can deny that they often make their own luck.

I'm still burning at the idea that the 2nd or 3rd best team in all of baseball will be ousted before the actual playoffs get started while the Mets and Dodgers play on. Yeah, yeah, "win your division." Maybe I'm taking a turn oversimplifying, But I see nothing wrong with reseeding according to record once teams make the playoffs. The current system isn't really fair to the Cardinals, either.

I'm with the Bucs to the end, though. We can beat the Cards and Arrieta. It would just be ridiculous if the end came next week.
Southern Fan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Southern Fan »

Pirates have to put their best defensive team out against the Cubs. Keep the game 0-0 into the tenth inning until Jake's arm falls off.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Southern Fan wrote:Pirates have to put their best defensive team out against the Cubs. Keep the game 0-0 into the tenth inning until Jake's arm falls off.
:thumb:

Or have McCutchen give us some of his MVP stuff.
Southern Fan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Southern Fan »

Steve Bartman should be invited to catch the ceremonial first pitch.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

First pitch: Bob Walk
Anthem: Petrina McCutchen

Jung Ho will be with the team during pregame team intros. A Twitter movement to get the Pirates to let Jung Ho throw the first pitch is disappointed. But I'm glad he'll be with his teammates. The crowd will love seeing him.

http://www.wtae.com/sports/buctober-nl- ... d/35685456" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zarovich
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Zarovich »

LOL at tonight's lineup. What a joke. I don't want to read any justifications. Horrible.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

Benching a 27 HR guy for a crappy sub who started 1 game at 1st all year. Complete idiocy. Even if they win, complete idiocy.
How you kids say? Hurdled? Before the game even starts.
Zarovich
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Zarovich »

Hurdled=pitted? I think so....
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

We've had white-outs and black-outs, we need the gold-out!

Good luck bucs! Gerrit Cole make it special.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

Saw the following in a "who would you rather play article?" by Cardinals fan and sports columnist Will Leitch. I thought it was interesting, especially the bolded.

Pirates were #1 in the sense that it's OK for them to win tonight, and even in the NLDS. Of course, the Cubs get no quarter.

1. Pittsburgh Pirates. All four of these teams are likable, so Pittsburgh doesn't necessarily get extra-credit points for that. But the Pirates are particularly likable, from their superstar Andrew McCutchen to hometown hero Neil Walker to injured rookie Jung Ho Kang. The Pirates also have a fan base that has shown itself loyal and riotous in the last few postseasons; it's difficult to argue they don't deserve it. They've played the Cardinals crazy tough the last few years, and they've done so without the rancor and beanballing that has come with the Cardinals' battles with the Cubs, Reds and Dodgers. (The Cardinals brass was extremely grateful to and moved by Pirates' fans' collective reaction to the terrifying injury suffered by Stephen Piscotty last week; it's reportedly one of the main reasons the Cardinals didn't celebrate their division title on the field at PNC Park Wednesday, instead waiting until they reached the clubhouse.) If the Pirates were to beat the Cardinals in the NLDS, it would be a worthy opponent finally outlasting their longtime tormentor en route to a potential dynasty of their own, a sort-of baseball equivalent of the Bulls at last beating the Pistons after three failed tries. There aren't many tip-your-cap losses in the postseason, but a loss to the Pirates would be just that. If we have to lose to someone, here's hoping it's the Pirates.

Cardinals Opponents Hate Index - Oct. 5
http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/15 ... bs-pirates" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by thepittman »

DO IT
ejd43
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ejd43 »

please get out of this inning without letting the cubbies get on the board
Zarovich
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Zarovich »

That single almost took out Arrieta. Would have been best thing to happen.
ejd43
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ejd43 »

Zarovich wrote:That single almost took out Arrieta. Would have been best thing to happen.
I agree. I just have a bad feeling about this game