George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by shafnutz05 »

Idoit40fans wrote:Spoiler tags are too much of a pain to use on mobile but i agree with a lot of what you said.
Same
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

No Winds of Winter in 2015, but the Dunk and Egg novels will be released under one cover this year:

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/j ... ublication" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Does Martin have some sort of Brian Wilson thing going on, where he can't stand to release anything else, in the fear that it won't be good enough?
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

He has other interests and he's going to pursue them without taking GOT under consideration. He's said as much.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

What are the chances he ever finishes the main book series? Like 1%?
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Yeah, I'm not sure the books are ever going to be finished...at least by him. To be honest, I'm not sure I would want to read them after watching the show anyway...(but I will read them anyway).
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

shmenguin wrote:He has other interests and he's going to pursue them without taking GOT under consideration. He's said as much.
Kind of blows for the fans.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

I'm not reading the books, only watching the series, but what would be the conclusion of the story anyway? Who's the main character? What's the plot?

That's my favorite thing about the show, it's very encompassing. If one main character dies, another one takes their place.

You bookies probably have a different opinion but I seriously have no idea how GoT can be resolved in an ending.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Yeah, I'm not sure the books are ever going to be finished...at least by him. To be honest, I'm not sure I would want to read them after watching the show anyway...(but I will read them anyway).
I still need to read Game of Thrones, went right to Clash of Kings after Seaosn 1 ended. But Clash of Kings is very good and Storm of Swords is one of the best books I've read in this genre. it's worth reading at least those two and probale GOT.

If you can, definately read the combined Feast for Crows and Dance With Dragons version, makes for a much better story.

Show has been pretty close to the books, but if they are now going to be creating new material for 90%+ of the show then the books might be a let down going forward.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

DelPen wrote: Show has been pretty close to the books, but if they are now going to be creating new material for 90%+ of the show then the books might be a let down going forward.
Yeah, exactly. I've read all of them up to the sample chapters in Winds of Winter, and if it's two years before the full WoW comes out, it will be a letdown for me.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

What are the chances that even TWOW (to say nothing of ADOS) is released before the show is done? At this rate, seems questionable at best. We're already at least into 2016, and they have to go into new material after this season... so things could get interesting.

Martin has to know there is no way he is going to finish his books before the story plays out on screen at this point. HBO isn't going to just stop making their hit show because an author couldn't be arsed to get the next book out. Could get ugly.

I'm not even necessarily sad about seeing the story play out on tv (especially since I'm not convinced he'll EVER finish the books)... but it will certainly spoil much more than just the ending at that point.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

the wicked child wrote:What are the chances that even TWOW (to say nothing of ADOS) is released before the show is done? At this rate, seems questionable at best. We're already at least into 2016, and they have to go into new material after this season... so things could get interesting.

Martin has to know there is no way he is going to finish his books before the story plays out on screen at this point. HBO isn't going to just stop making their hit show because an author couldn't be arsed to get the next book out. Could get ugly.

I'm not even necessarily sad about seeing the story play out on tv (especially since I'm not convinced he'll EVER finish the books)... but it will certainly spoil much more than just the ending at that point.
I thought I read where the show's main writers are aware that they will be passing the current material before Martin puts out the next book, and that they sat down with him to at least get a rough direction where Martin is heading, and from there, the show can be creative with that story within what they map out.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

newarenanow wrote:
the wicked child wrote:What are the chances that even TWOW (to say nothing of ADOS) is released before the show is done? At this rate, seems questionable at best. We're already at least into 2016, and they have to go into new material after this season... so things could get interesting.

I thought I read where the show's main writers are aware that they will be passing the current material before Martin puts out the next book, and that they sat down with him to at least get a rough direction where Martin is heading, and from there, the show can be creative with that story within what they map out.
Correct. Martin has stated that he hopes HBO spends a couple seasons covering Dunk & Egg or whatever the hell his GoT novellas are called, giving him time to catch up to the show, but there's zero chance of that happening. At the end of October HBO paid through the nose to extend all of the actor's contracts through season 7. There's no way they are delaying future seasons and I highly doubt they want to pony up the cash to extend the show to an eight season. There's going to be three more seasons, covering whatever outline Martin gave them and the creativity needed to fill in the blank spaces.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:I'm not reading the books, only watching the series, but what would be the conclusion of the story anyway? Who's the main character? What's the plot?

That's my favorite thing about the show, it's very encompassing. If one main character dies, another one takes their place.

You bookies probably have a different opinion but I seriously have no idea how GoT can be resolved in an ending.
There's only one real way to resolve it and it's a popular fan theory but I have a funny feeling Martin won't do that even if it was his original plan just to spite people.

The problem with the show is the biggest name, Sean Bean, was killed in the first season. The problem there is Ed Stark was never a main character really in the big picture, he was a plot device to expose the incest of the Lannisters and to start the war.

So who are the main characters?
Spoiler:
Tyrion, Jon and Dany
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:No Winds of Winter in 2015, but the Dunk and Egg novels will be released under one cover this year:

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/j ... ublication" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If anyone is a fan of GoT and hasn't read these, I cannot recommend them highly enough. To be honest, I think Ser Duncan the Tall is my favorite character in the GoT universe.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Shyster wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:No Winds of Winter in 2015, but the Dunk and Egg novels will be released under one cover this year:

If anyone is a fan of GoT and hasn't read these, I cannot recommend them highly enough. To be honest, I think Ser Duncan the Tall is my favorite character in the GoT universe.
I've read the first two, and have to agree with you. Great stories...and I need to get the Mystery Knight read. Trouble is finding the anthology with it in it.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

newarenanow wrote:

Yes. They did sit down with Martin and get an outline of the fate of every character. So they know how it is supposed to end. However, this also means that they know which characters "matter" ultimately, and that will factor in to which characters are cast and which are left out.... and be pretty big spoilers simply by their absence.

Also, there is a big difference between an outline and having a fleshed out story and dialogue to work with. My concerns with the show is that I think a lot of the worst material has happened when they went completely away from the books.

Oh well, I'd rather see a slimmed down version on screen than wait 20 years to find out what happens in the books.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

The S5 trailer has been released by HBO... It's embedded in their FB page here: https://www.facebook.com/HBO" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best youtube version I can find atm:

[youtube][/youtube]

Dany has another cringe-worthy moment in this one... hope they didn't hurt themselves thinking up that dialogue.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

My two favorite characters meeting up is too much to ask for so I'm expecting Tyrion to get cruelly slaughtered on his way to Dany (assuming that's even where he's heading).

I binged watched the first 3 seasons around this time last year so the wait for the new season has been torturous. I don't expect to have 4 or 5 "Episode 9" worthy episodes in this season like we did last but I'm pumped for it nevertheless.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

This isn't a slight at GRRM, but I'm fairly certain he doesn't give a rat's ass about the fans of his ASOIAF books.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

the wicked child wrote:Ok, so here are my concerns with this upcoming season (and potentially the overall show). Major spoilers if you haven't read the books, and some speculation regarding the future of the show based on info that has come out.
Spoiler:
Given the known cast, there are a few big holes that raise questions. Here are a few of the people not knowingly cast:

Arianne Martell (Though I suppose one of the sand snakes could somewhat fill her role in the story and they cast 3)
Quentyn Martell (Not too sad... yawn city - though he did serve to release the dragons)
Griff
Young Griff
The brothers Greyjoy
Stoneheart (Obviously, they aren't going to announce this one even if it happens... but I just get the feeling that they won;t do it... I will gladly eat crow if I'm wrong)

All of these omissions have the potential to drastically change the story from where the books currently sit... (and potentially spoil the long term importance of said characters?)

They cast Dorne heavily, and it seems that Jaime will be going there for... some reason. Obviously, this didn't happen in the books, so it's up in the air as to what the story may be. Does Cersei send him to retrieve Myrcella?

The Omission of Lady Stoneheart (who would be a huge hit, not to mention wtf for non-readers) means that Brienne and Pod have no known arc to their story now... and with Jaime apparently going to Dorne, I literally have no idea wtf to expect from them this season... if they appear at all.

Bran and Hodor won't be in this season... to the disappointment of none. His story is jsut about caught up w/ the books anyway.

I'm not a huge fan of the Greyjoys, so I'm not too upset about their apparent exclusion (thus far anyway), but that basically means this part of the story is pretty much dead, save for maybe AshaYara getting captured eventually? I dunno. I guess since Daario claimed the Meereenese Navy for Dany last season, she doesn't really need the Greyjoy fleet.

Griff+Young Griff are obviously a huge plot point in ADWD, and seemingly going forward in the books... and they factor into Tyrion's journey through Essos. We know that in the show Varys boarded the ship along with Tyrion, so I suspect he will be involved somehow still. I'm not too sad about that change as he is too good of a character to just vanish as he does in the books.

I can maybe see where another Targaryen not named Daenerys coming to Westeros might be seen as a bad thing, but I found him to be one of the more interesting characters in the story, and he certainly changes the game.

Also wondering where this season ends... with Jon's "death"? I could see that pissing off a lot of people. Maybe with Dany encountering the khalassar? She always seems to close out the odd seasons after all.

The things I am looking forward to...

Cersei's insanity, fall, and walk of shame
Natalie Dormer
Arya's training
Daznak's Pit
Having seen the trailer and some of the promo pics... a couple additional remarks...
Spoiler:
Brienne and Pod ARE going to be in this season. Now the question is wtf they will be doing. My guess is that they wander around and have another close call with a Stark daughter, since they are still in the Vale and all.

I'm trying to figure out what will happen with Sansa + LF... Not really sure tbh. They are damn near out of material at this point, and there is the clip of LF telling her to get revenge...

Also, I forgot that Ellaria Sand was still in the cast, so it is possible that she may take on some of Arianne's story.

It appears that Varys will still be backing a Targaryen... just not the same one from the books. I guess this is a reasonable compromise since (f)Aegon appears to be a casualty.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

One good thing about the source material departure that's coming is that Tyrion will have a better arc than in the books. The best character deserves a better path than he got from George R R
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

the wicked child wrote: Also, there is a big difference between an outline and having a fleshed out story and dialogue to work with. My concerns with the show is that I think a lot of the worst material has happened when they went completely away from the books.
I agree, and now that I think about it, it worries me a little bit.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

shmenguin wrote:One good thing about the source material departure that's coming is that Tyrion will have a better arc than in the books. The best character deserves a better path than he got from George R R
Spoiler:
If the whole Griff thing is a red herring in the book and not really important than I will love making Varys and Tyrion buddy up to find Danyeris. Varys on the show is maybe the 2nd best character and that will be interesting.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

yeah, varys is a good example of where the show improves the book. not every departure is a clusterf***. HBO improved the red wedding, the altered arya/hound story was great, podrick is better on the show...there are probably a few more i'm forgetting. they have some whiffs, but their success rate is decent. better than george rr's in the last decade.