George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by DelPen »

TV show might need to bring back Bean and Addy for some flashbacks via Bran to set some stuff up.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

DelPen wrote:TV show might need to bring back Bean and Addy for some flashbacks via Bran to set some stuff up.
I'd expect them to be played by different actors, unless Addy wants to start hitting the gym and Bean gets ahold of whatever Orlando Bloom started taking for the Hobbit movies.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Addy doesn't look too different from that stupid CBS show or Knights Tale and Bean looks like he did in the Bind movie he was in still. Just need a little polishing but they could pass.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

Well I was thinking more along the lines that they were suppose to be 18-19 years old at the Rebellion/Tower of Joy scenes...not that it matters much, I'm not really one of the book nerds who takes everything about the books as gospel, but Lyanna was only 15 or so and I think a 40 year old looking Ned would look a little out of place there. It also might help if they cast relatively 'unknown' actors since they can get away with giving them generic credits, and if Bean comes back for anything fans will immediately know why, they're like hawks with casting choices.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Big news, and I mean that in both the literal and punny way: IMAX has announced that the final two episodes of Game of Thrones season four - which includes the massive battle at the Wall - will play in IMAX theaters for a limited one week engagement. If coming out to see your favorite TV show on the big screen wasn't incentive enough, there will be a special trailer for Game of Thrones season five attached; that will be your first real look at what HBO is going to be doing with the bad books in George RR Martin's lengthy fantasy series.
http://badassdigest.com/2015/01/06/the- ... goes-imax/
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

"the bad books" ha
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by GSdrums87 »

Read a very long but good theory on r/asoiaf a while ago. If you sort by Top of All Time then it's the top post.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

GSdrums87 wrote:Read a very long but good theory on r/asoiaf a while ago. If you sort by Top of All Time then it's the top post.
realting to?
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Book is supposed to come out first quarter this year? Or was that speculation? Or was it pushed back?
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Speculation. No release date given, iirc.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

If I remember correctly, one of his editors explicitly stated there would be no new book in 2015.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Lol nice.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

At this point, I don't know if the book will ever come out. What will be interesting is when we get to the end of Season 5 of the show... I think they are going to cover the majority of the remaining material (at least that they plan to keep anyway) during this season... so things may get dicey from there on out, especially if they are dead set on the 7 seasons thing.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:If I remember correctly, one of his editors explicitly stated there would be no new book in 2015.
Was that the female editor who said she hasn't seen anything new since February 2013?
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by GSdrums87 »

DelPen wrote:
GSdrums87 wrote:Read a very long but good theory on r/asoiaf a while ago. If you sort by Top of All Time then it's the top post.
realting to?
Spoiler:
The Others and the end of the book.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

If...
Spoiler:
Jon Snow is not lyannas son then a lot of theories, some of which are very compelling, will be shot to hell.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

DelPen wrote:If...
Spoiler:
Jon Snow is not lyannas son then a lot of theories, some of which are very compelling, will be shot to hell.
Spoiler:
GRRM seems like the kind of guy who would change the plot of the rest of the series to cause just that
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

I'm sure whoever finishes the series once GRRM kicks the bucket with Book 6 and 7 still unfinished will give the story a proper ending.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

That's uncharacteristically optimistic of you...unless sarcasm.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Rocco wrote:I'm sure whoever finishes the series once GRRM kicks the bucket with Book 6 and 7 still unfinished will give the story a proper ending.
If the show ends on a great note then I might not even read the last books especially if WoW is not really that good.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Season 5 will premiere Sunday April 12th.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

Scary stuff man

the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Season 5 trailer should be available fairly soon... It's premiering as part of the imax event.

There's supposed to be some kind of special on Feb 8. I believe it's about the filming of S5 across 3 countries.

I'm not sure what to expect from this season because it seems like it may be the furthest from the books yet.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Ok, so here are my concerns with this upcoming season (and potentially the overall show). Major spoilers if you haven't read the books, and some speculation regarding the future of the show based on info that has come out.
Spoiler:
Given the known cast, there are a few big holes that raise questions. Here are a few of the people not knowingly cast:

Arianne Martell (Though I suppose one of the sand snakes could somewhat fill her role in the story and they cast 3)
Quentyn Martell (Not too sad... yawn city - though he did serve to release the dragons)
Griff
Young Griff
The brothers Greyjoy
Stoneheart (Obviously, they aren't going to announce this one even if it happens... but I just get the feeling that they won;t do it... I will gladly eat crow if I'm wrong)

All of these omissions have the potential to drastically change the story from where the books currently sit... (and potentially spoil the long term importance of said characters?)

They cast Dorne heavily, and it seems that Jaime will be going there for... some reason. Obviously, this didn't happen in the books, so it's up in the air as to what the story may be. Does Cersei send him to retrieve Myrcella?

The Omission of Lady Stoneheart (who would be a huge hit, not to mention wtf for non-readers) means that Brienne and Pod have no known arc to their story now... and with Jaime apparently going to Dorne, I literally have no idea wtf to expect from them this season... if they appear at all.

Bran and Hodor won't be in this season... to the disappointment of none. His story is jsut about caught up w/ the books anyway.

I'm not a huge fan of the Greyjoys, so I'm not too upset about their apparent exclusion (thus far anyway), but that basically means this part of the story is pretty much dead, save for maybe AshaYara getting captured eventually? I dunno. I guess since Daario claimed the Meereenese Navy for Dany last season, she doesn't really need the Greyjoy fleet.

Griff+Young Griff are obviously a huge plot point in ADWD, and seemingly going forward in the books... and they factor into Tyrion's journey through Essos. We know that in the show Varys boarded the ship along with Tyrion, so I suspect he will be involved somehow still. I'm not too sad about that change as he is too good of a character to just vanish as he does in the books.

I can maybe see where another Targaryen not named Daenerys coming to Westeros might be seen as a bad thing, but I found him to be one of the more interesting characters in the story, and he certainly changes the game.

Also wondering where this season ends... with Jon's "death"? I could see that pissing off a lot of people. Maybe with Dany encountering the khalassar? She always seems to close out the odd seasons after all.

The things I am looking forward to...

Cersei's insanity, fall, and walk of shame
Natalie Dormer
Arya's training
Daznak's Pit
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Spoiler tags are too much of a pain to use on mobile but i agree with a lot of what you said.