2023 Non-Penguins Related Thread

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: 2023 NPR Trade Deadline Discussion Thread

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Dynasty1970 wrote:
DelPen wrote:Not worth that cost for two guys who might make us slightly harder to play against and no garuntee Sully even dresses them.
Agreed......The costs are too high this year. Its a sellers market. It might behoove GMRH to sell and wait for the offseason.
Not sure I'd agree. McCabe is extremely underrated. To get him for 2 years at 2M cap hit is a steal, even if you are giving up a lottery protected 1st for him. He'd be an instant upgrade over Dumo, and he is a guy that I would look to extend next year while Dumo moves on.

If Hextall was skeptical on Chychrun, McCabe was a very solid and cheaper fallback. Now that option is gone, I'm not sure what else he can go for if he wants an upgrade on defense. Kulikov had been mentioned as tied to the Penguins, but he's a UFA at season's end.

Again, I'm reserving going off the deep end until the end of the week, but it sure looks like Hextall is just choosing to do nothing...do not add...do not sell, which is the worst option of all. Just piss away another year of Sid and Geno, pickup some mediocre mid round draft picks and overpay for more questionable deals this summer.

Kind of like GMJR...GMRH has been good at the deadline deals (Carter and Rakell), and not so good at UFA signings. I'd rather get the right players now with term rather than hoping for a draft day trade or UFA signing to get us in position for next season.
Yes. McCabe would be perfect slotted next to Letang and a cheap replacement for Dumo. Edmundson is another LD that's said the be available who has size. He used to be Petry's partner in Montreal.

3rd line is still a much bigger priority though.

I would be amazed if Hextall gives in to Arizona's demands for Chrychrun. That goes against everything he stands for pretty much lol
Edmundson has not been good since he left STL, which is probably why the Oilers are in discussions with Montreal about him. LOL

thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

I'm disappointed about McCabe I really thought he was the best reasonable replacement for Dumoulin. At this point it really seems like Chychrun or bust.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

thehockeyguru wrote:I'm disappointed about McCabe I really thought he was the best reasonable replacement for Dumoulin. At this point it really seems like Chychrun or bust.
There's still a lot of teams that are probably in on Chychrun. Washington, St. Louis, Dallas, LA. All of them have more assets to spend then we do. Guess we will see how far Hextall is willing to go.

Revamp the 3rd line. Make a hockey trade or two. Roslovic, Scissons, Raddish, Dickinson etc. Some decent bottom 6 guys that could be useful for several years.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote:
KG wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Dynasty1970 wrote:
DelPen wrote:Not worth that cost for two guys who might make us slightly harder to play against and no garuntee Sully even dresses them.
Agreed......The costs are too high this year. Its a sellers market. It might behoove GMRH to sell and wait for the offseason.
Not sure I'd agree. McCabe is extremely underrated. To get him for 2 years at 2M cap hit is a steal, even if you are giving up a lottery protected 1st for him. He'd be an instant upgrade over Dumo, and he is a guy that I would look to extend next year while Dumo moves on.

If Hextall was skeptical on Chychrun, McCabe was a very solid and cheaper fallback. Now that option is gone, I'm not sure what else he can go for if he wants an upgrade on defense. Kulikov had been mentioned as tied to the Penguins, but he's a UFA at season's end.

Again, I'm reserving going off the deep end until the end of the week, but it sure looks like Hextall is just choosing to do nothing...do not add...do not sell, which is the worst option of all. Just piss away another year of Sid and Geno, pickup some mediocre mid round draft picks and overpay for more questionable deals this summer.

Kind of like GMJR...GMRH has been good at the deadline deals (Carter and Rakell), and not so good at UFA signings. I'd rather get the right players now with term rather than hoping for a draft day trade or UFA signing to get us in position for next season.
Yes. McCabe would be perfect slotted next to Letang and a cheap replacement for Dumo. Edmundson is another LD that's said the be available who has size. He used to be Petry's partner in Montreal.

3rd line is still a much bigger priority though.

I would be amazed if Hextall gives in to Arizona's demands for Chrychrun. That goes against everything he stands for pretty much lol
Edmundson has not been good since he left STL, which is probably why the Oilers are in discussions with Montreal about him. LOL

Just saw this on HockeyBuzz. Maybe EK reads the site :wink:

Penguins Interest in Edmundson (e3)
They are watching very closely here…
Source: Eklund
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

Woof stay away from Edmundson
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

There are some rumors out there of JVR going to Minnesota with Jordan Greenway going the other way. Don't think it is in a final deal stage, if it is more than a rumor at this point.

Also heard cap wise, either Toronto can't remove Matt Murray from LTIR, or the Leafs may have to deal Kerfoot, Engvall or one other player mentioned.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

What about the Staal bros down in Florida? Could be the oldest 3rd line in hockey.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

The Pens should be sellers this season, but clearly won't be. Assuming that, and given the cost of players moved thus far, I would be just as happy to see Hextall continue to do nothing. Overpaying for a modest upgrade (if not lateral move) would be pointless. If management is so happy with this team, roll with it and see how many playoff games they win. Another one and done, or miss the playoffs altogether, and maybe something gets done.

There's no need to move a first and second round pick for a Lafferty/McCabe type of deal. The market is not there for what the Pens need. Hopefully the situation in the off-season will be better.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Sigwolf wrote:The Pens should be sellers this season, but clearly won't be. Assuming that, and given the cost of players moved thus far, I would be just as happy to see Hextall continue to do nothing. Overpaying for a modest upgrade (if not lateral move) would be pointless. If management is so happy with this team, roll with it and see how many playoff games they win. Another one and done, or miss the playoffs altogether, and maybe something gets done.

There's no need to move a first and second round pick for a Lafferty/McCabe type of deal. The market is not there for what the Pens need. Hopefully the situation in the off-season will be better.
If teams are going to grossly overpay, I’d be interested to see what Zucker can bring to the Penguins. Dumoulin might bring something, still think Buffalo is a perfect fit and has 3 2nd round picks (as insane as the prices are, don’t judge me :D ). McGinn could help a playoff team and speaking of Buffalo, why not Carter for that veteran presence. They have an incredibly young team with what looks like very minimal playoff experience, perhaps Carter and Dumoulin can change that. :fist:
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

Folks,

This is the NPR thread.

Thanks.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

Hextall directly came out and said at his press conference- WE ARE NOT SELLING! kthxbai
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

The Canes not doing anything yet is interesting. I have no idea what holes they need to fill but with everyone else making moves it would seem conventional wisdom says they need to make a move too.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

ville5 wrote:Hextall directly came out and said at his press conference- WE ARE NOT SELLING! kthxbai
Which I exactly addressed in my post. I simply said in the current market I would also prefer he not be buying. Maybe it would have been more clear IF I USED ALL CAPS? Of course, the whole discussion is upsetting the recently re-awakened moderator, so screw it, I'll go back to read-only mode. Have fun.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

Sigwolf wrote:
ville5 wrote:Hextall directly came out and said at his press conference- WE ARE NOT SELLING! kthxbai
Which I exactly addressed in my post.
So then, my post wasn't directed at you? Why your panties all up in a bunch then?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

DelPen wrote:The Canes not doing anything yet is interesting. I have no idea what holes they need to fill but with everyone else making moves it would seem conventional wisdom says they need to make a move too.
I keep thinking they might be a dark horse choice for Kane. He would be their Pacioretty replacement.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

Pitts wrote:
DelPen wrote:The Canes not doing anything yet is interesting. I have no idea what holes they need to fill but with everyone else making moves it would seem conventional wisdom says they need to make a move too.
I keep thinking they might be a dark horse choice for Kane. He would be their Pacioretty replacement.
Some unsubstantiated, unofficial internet rumors are saying they might be considering a Jesperi Kotkaniemi for JT Miller deal. Probably just idle gossip but could be a bold move.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pitts wrote:
I think the problem is Kane really wants to go to the Rangers. He pretty much put out sob story quotes after Tarasenko was traded there, like the Rangers just broke his heart and that was the only place he wants to go.

Rangers have been doing some cap gymnastics the last 2-3 days to make room for Kane, including dressing a player that didn't take a single shift, for fear he could get hurt and screw up their cap situation.

Kane to the Rangers should happen by Wednesday at the latest I believe.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: 2023 Non-Penguins Related Trade Deadline Thread

Post by KG »

This Kane situation. Didn't like how he came out and said he was upset about the Trarasenko trade. You're a player for the Hawks. Stop being a cry baby.

Heard that Drury wasn't planning on going after Kane after they acquired Tarasenko but once their owner Dolan got word that Kane wanted to be a Ranger he told Drury to make it happen.

Hope it all blows up.
murphydump55
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by murphydump55 »

lemieuxReturns wrote:What about the Staal bros down in Florida? Could be the oldest 3rd line in hockey.
Marc isn’t a forward
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

KG wrote:This Kane situation. Didn't like how he came out and said he was upset about the Trarasenko trade. You're a player for the Hawks. Stop being a cry baby.

Heard that Drury wasn't planning on going after Kane after they acquired Tarasenko but once their owner Dolan got word that Kane wanted to be a Ranger he told Drury to make it happen.

Hope it all blows up.
They’re more than likely going to get beDeviled in the first round.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

KG wrote:This Kane situation. Didn't like how he came out and said he was upset about the Trarasenko trade. You're a player for the Hawks. Stop being a cry baby.

Hope it all blows up.
I think Kane to the Rangers will make things worse in terms of chemistry so I hope they make the trade and sign him long term.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

FLPensFan wrote:
Pitts wrote:
I think the problem is Kane really wants to go to the Rangers. He pretty much put out sob story quotes after Tarasenko was traded there, like the Rangers just broke his heart and that was the only place he wants to go.

Rangers have been doing some cap gymnastics the last 2-3 days to make room for Kane, including dressing a player that didn't take a single shift, for fear he could get hurt and screw up their cap situation.

Kane to the Rangers should happen by Wednesday at the latest I believe.
I know, and you're probably correct. I heard a while back that Carolina had interest. Regarding Kane, and the Rangers - I just don't see where he fits. Also, how much offense does a team need? It's crazy to think about. Although Tarasenko is half the player he used to be. I couldn't understand that trade at all - seemed totally unnecessary when the entire world knew Kane was sucking their teat.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

ville5 wrote:
Pitts wrote:
Some unsubstantiated, unofficial internet rumors are saying they might be considering a Jesperi Kotkaniemi for JT Miller deal. Probably just idle gossip but could be a bold move.
Interesting, especially after Miller just signed that huge contract. But, Kotkaniemi has pretty much been a bust in Carolina. What a wasted effort that seems to have been.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Kane to the Rangers could be as useful as Iginla to the Pens was.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

Pitts wrote:
ville5 wrote:
Pitts wrote:
Interesting, especially after Miller just signed that huge contract. But, Kotkaniemi has pretty much been a bust in Carolina. What a wasted effort that seems to have been.
Don't see Carolina as that desperate to take on JT Miller's contract/term. He's also week-to-week with a LBI right now and I think this is just something someone threw out there since Carolina has the cap space to take on anyone right now and they missed out on Meier and Tarasenko.

Kotkaniemi is Jordan Staal's replacement at 3C. He's not a top-6 talent and trying him at wing was a flop that they quickly abandoned. He can forecheck very well, can be physical and is defensively sound, he just doesn't have the hands to put up the points. I think Carolina kind of accepting of what he is and what he will be and Staal's a UFA after this season. It's likely he stays in Carolina and comes back as their 4C unless he wants more $$$ than Carolina deems he's worth. The Canes are very astute at valuing players non-emotionally and if they think the player wants more than their internal figure(DeAngelo,Trochek, Nino,Hamilton), they won't budge and will let them walk.