Official GDT: Pens @ Canes 1/13/24

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Ericf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Official GDT: Pens @ Canes 1/13/24

Post by Ericf »

Wyopen wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:18 am I’d like to know what EK65 was thinking but refused to talk about it. Any ideas?
He didn’t want to rag on Jarry for letting in two softies over the last two OTs. Bad goals to give up
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Ericf wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:35 am
Wyopen wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:18 am I’d like to know what EK65 was thinking but refused to talk about it. Any ideas?
He didn’t want to rag on Jarry for letting in two softies over the last two OTs. Bad goals to give up
Kingerski seems to indicate EK and coach are on a different page: https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/pittsbu ... yle-dubas/
Ericf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ericf »

FLPensFan wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:37 am
Kingerski seems to indicate EK and coach are on a different page: https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/pittsbu ... yle-dubas/
I wouldn’t be surprised . He’s not the first player to come in and play underwhelming under Sullivan. Also look at how passive Sullivan wants the D to play. Doesn’t suit EK. I’m sure he’s wondering why Dubas traded for him to play in a conservative, defensive scheme
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

This could be an issue. This isn’t like Tanner Pearson isn’t fitting in with the coach. This is the reining Norris trophy winner. Karlsson isn’t afraid to speak his mind. Could definitely see a little power struggle with him and Sully.

Guess we’ll see who Dubas loves more.

So sick of getting all of these players that look great elsewhere but come here and look ordinary.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:40 pm
This could be an issue. This isn’t like Tanner Pearson isn’t fitting in with the coach. This is the reining Norris trophy winner. Karlsson isn’t afraid to speak his mind. Could definitely see a little power struggle with him and Sully.

So sick of getting all of these players that look great elsewhere but come here and look ordinary.
This could end up being Sully's "Iginla problem." The difference here is, Karlsson isn't a free agent and going to go away after this season. You don't try and change the 33 year old Norris Trophy winner to play a different game. That's something you may try with a young 20s kid, not someone who has been one of the top offensive defensemen in the league.

Hell, at this point, we'd probably be better off if Karlsson decided who was on the PP and what their roles were. And he needs to be able to have a little more free reign to make end to end rushes and what not. That's his game. That's when he's at his best.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

Coach is washed. Everyone seems to know this except for those who matter (Dubas/FSG).
Sad.
E-Ramone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by E-Ramone »

I’ve said this before, but why did Dubas get EK if this is what Sullivan is going to do with his skills and talent? It makes no sense to me. It would’ve been cheaper and easier to just get a solid stay at home dman instead and another plugger for the bottom six if that’s all Sullivan wants to work with. Otherwise, I think Dubas should be thinking about why his big name acquisition is being handcuffed by a coach he didn’t hire and isn’t responsible for.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

FLPensFan wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:16 pm
KG wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:40 pm

This could end up being Sully's "Iginla problem." The difference here is, Karlsson isn't a free agent and going to go away after this season. You don't try and change the 33 year old Norris Trophy winner to play a different game. That's something you may try with a young 20s kid, not someone who has been one of the top offensive defensemen in the league.

Hell, at this point, we'd probably be better off if Karlsson decided who was on the PP and what their roles were. And he needs to be able to have a little more free reign to make end to end rushes and what not. That's his game. That's when he's at his best.
This is like the Ignila situation as the GM and HC don't seem to be on the same page about Karlsson. On the surface, I can't see Karlsson as being the kind of dman Sullivan wants in the first place but he's got no choice because Karlsson is here and eating a lot of cap so he'll get the minutes and is a3-time Norris winner and HOFer.

Sullivan/Reirden do have him probably playing the best defensively of his career, though he still makes some major boneheaded plays, but there is probably a trade-off on restraining Karlsson's offensive instincts and putting the player in a position where he isn't allowed free reign to do whatever he wants that he's been used to for most of his career. Sullivan/Reirden are going to have to bend some because the reality is that Karlsson likely has much more job security in Pittsburgh than those two do right now.

I have no doubt Karlsson *knows* how best to use Karlsson, but I'm not convinced that his way is the best for the Pens or other teams, but the Sullivan and Reirden way ain't working so going to have to adopt some of Karlsson's thinking.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

You really think Dubas added EK65 without consulting the 2 time cup winning coach for life Sullivan? Come on now.