Dubas Press Conference 4-19-2024

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Dubas Press Conference 4-19-2024

Post by Sams_Dog »

Sullivan will be kept on and they will get new assistants which is atb least the second time they will have done that. They HAVE to trade Smith. He didn't score and he didn't do much of anything else to make up for it. Soft and defensiveliability. Even if you just get that third rounder back you have to do it. I would be fine with them trading Jarry and keeping Ned and Blomqvist. Rackell can go as well but you need to find top 6 guys somewhere. Smith, Jarry, and Rackeel is about $15M in cap space.
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pekkasteele »

So basiclly it will be the same again, as the last 7-8 years?

With some good trades, we will lose in the first round next year. If the trades are bad, we get a top-10 pick. Core will be 1 year older and we will yet again talk about "now Sully needs to go" and "Sully will be on a short leach"

good times ahead, but at least we know what to expect.
DeHaven162

Post by DeHaven162 »

A recurring theme I keep seeing is that Sullivan doesn't play the young guys, or that he went to them too late.

Another recurring theme I see is that we don't have any young guys, the guys who can come from Wilkes aren't good, etc. So then who are you clamoring for Sullivan to play? Who didn't get a fair chance?

Oh, and the fact that the oldest team in the league, with all this veteran leadership, went in the tank because Guentzel was traded, that is 100% on the players. What is a coach supposed to do? All that is is fragile egos and personalities on the players.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Curious why Dubas said it was "imperative" that negotiations between Sid and the Pens remain private. This should be the easiest contract Dubas ever signed.

Sid you want to come back for how many years? You want a raise or you want to stay at the same $8.7 AAV?
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

DeHaven162 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:23 pm A recurring theme I keep seeing is that Sullivan doesn't play the young guys, or that he went to them too late.

Another recurring theme I see is that we don't have any young guys, the guys who can come from Wilkes aren't good, etc. So then who are you clamoring for Sullivan to play? Who didn't get a fair chance?
Everything you said has already been covered. The young guys that should have been playing are exactly the ones inserted in the lineup when injuries forced their call-up. You know, when the team actually started showing a pulse and just barely missed the playoffs.
Oh, and the fact that the oldest team in the league, with all this veteran leadership, went in the tank because Guentzel was traded, that is 100% on the players. What is a coach supposed to do? All that is is fragile egos and personalities on the players.
Also covered. If it is "100% on the players", just what is the coach's purpose? Might as well prop up 'cardboaord Orpik' behind the bench if the coach has no effect on the product on the ice, whatsoever. Here's a hint, an effective coach balances managing the 'fragile egos and personalities' (because they exist at every level of sports}, with adjusting lines and ice time based on who is actually producing and playing effectively. Sullivan appears to be very good with the first part, while remaining very, very bad at the second.

You can reduce ice time, especially in regards to things like power play time, to even the most experienced vets. Adjust lines accordingly with respect to the flow of the game, and who is performing that night. Sullivan's way has been historically one way... ice time reduced for young or bottom line players who make small mistakes, while ignoring egregious plays from vets and high salary players. Never a reward, or increased time or responsibility for young players that have a good game. All stick, no carrot. There is a balance to be attained with such moves, and Sullivan's scale is weighted at only one end.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I’d love to know what Dubas thinks anyone is going to do over the summer that couldn’t have been addressed from October - April with some of these guys.
Zalapski33
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Zalapski33 »

Many Thanks for posting the details on the Dubas Press Conference.

Not surprising to hear that Sullivan is returning as FSG likely threw that Arrow down at KD regarding the financial investment that was given there.

Assistant Coach being brought in to revamp the PP is an obvious move.Erik Karlsson will be the Player who benefits the most from this.Investing the kind of Money in him and then not seriously using his skill to benefit the entire Team was inexcusable.

The Jarry and Graves Contracts are huge Albatrosses.A combined 10 Million for 2 Guys who were not a part of the stretch run of this Team.Graves is going to be back but a serious effort to trade Jarry has to occur.Once February hits we see the same decline in his play.Beyond getting it turned around for him IMHO.

The 3rd and 4th Lines simply cannot continue to rely on older or non productive players who don't bring energy and physically break down.Lars Eller is definitely a character guy who is a key guy to the success of this team with his versatility but there needs to be a way to have Puustinen,Puljujarvi and Poulin as part of that group.No more going after guys like Acciari,Nieto,Harkins and Hinostroza.

They have to take a good hard look at Pomonorev and see if his skill level and potential can be part of the Roster.Kouivenen,Yager and Pickering likely are still not ready to make the jump but need to continue to not discourage their progress.

Blomqvist has to be in the mix next year in Net if he continues to stay on the current path.Ned cannot do it alone so getting a decent Veteran Goalie in there as insurance has to be a successful move.Unless they continue to go with Jarry/Ned (which unfortunately is likely to happen) getting Blomqvist the bump is something the future of this Organization needs.

Moving Reilly Smith is a must.For whatever the reason his on ice decision making,lackluster effort and inability to contribute offensively was a huge disappointment.Having Rakell and him both struggle as Top 6 Wingers was a big factor in the Pens Season not being a success.

The Defense has spent the last 3 Seasons being Retooled-getting rid of Matheson/Marino for Petry/Ruutta,then Petry/Ruutta for Karlsson/Graves.St.Ivany,POJ and Shea were effective down the stretch and there isn't a huge need to make any big moves with this group which will continue to stick with Letang and his up and down play,Karlsson as the hope for the PP Difference maker and Pettersson as their top Defensive guy.

Up front we saw DOC blossom into a strong LW who sparked the Team with his effort.Rust had a good year that only was affected by injuries.Bunting proved to be the type of Forward the Team needs with his grit,net front presence and physical play.Malkin was an enigma for so many games. A Top 6 Winger is a need that has to be filled.

Lastly,give Sidney Crosby a Blank Contract,hand Him a Pen and have the Official FSG Seal ready to Stamp the Contract.Period.
Last edited by Zalapski33 on Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

I don't at all get any mention about financial cost of Sullivan getting fired. Unless I'm mistaken about how it works, the great master coach will be hired IMMEDIATELY by all 31 teams that don't have Sully and are looking for Sully, which means the cost to the team is then 0. Or am I mistaken?
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Antonio wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:37 am I don't at all get any mention about financial cost of Sullivan getting fired. Unless I'm mistaken about how it works, the great master coach will be hired IMMEDIATELY by all 31 teams that don't have Sully and are looking for Sully, which means the cost to the team is then 0. Or am I mistaken?
I think the only "risk" is that if Sullivan doesn't get an offer that matches his current salary then the Pens are still on the hook. Kind of like how Toronto was on the hook for all of Babcock's contract because nobody would come close to matching it.

I don't think Sullivan or the Pens would have that issue though. Jersey would be all over Sullivan.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:54 am
Antonio wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:37 am I don't at all get any mention about financial cost of Sullivan getting fired. Unless I'm mistaken about how it works, the great master coach will be hired IMMEDIATELY by all 31 teams that don't have Sully and are looking for Sully, which means the cost to the team is then 0. Or am I mistaken?
I think the only "risk" is that if Sullivan doesn't get an offer that matches his current salary then the Pens are still on the hook. Kind of like how Toronto was on the hook for all of Babcock's contract because nobody would come close to matching it.

I don't think Sullivan or the Pens would have that issue though. Jersey would be all over Sullivan.
Even if nobody decided to hire Sullivan and the Penguins were on the hook, FSG shouldn't care. I'll have to dig and find some of the quotes, I believe from Tom Werner, but FSG was very blunt in saying when they came that, they understand that leagues have caps, however, coaches, management, equipment, etc isn't under that cap, and FSG was not afraid to spend money in those areas to get the right resources.

That, to me is...if we feel X is the right resource, we'll spend the money on it because the league doesn't restrain us there. If making Sullivan the highest paid coach is what's needed, they'll do it. If getting a different coach for X dollars and having to pay Sullivan to not coach is the right move, they'll do it. Now, I don't think you can be doing that year after year, but, they were ok giving Sullivan a big extension, and surely spent a truckload on Dubas.

Sullivan isn't Dubas's mess to clean up. If Dubas were to ever fire him, he should get a pass from FSG there, but, I would think Dubas cannot make costly mistakes outside the cap over and over, or it will eventually catch up to him and cost him his job.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

FLPensFan wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:20 pm

Even if nobody decided to hire Sullivan and the Penguins were on the hook, FSG shouldn't care. I'll have to dig and find some of the quotes, I believe from Tom Werner, but FSG was very blunt in saying when they came that, they understand that leagues have caps, however, coaches, management, equipment, etc isn't under that cap, and FSG was not afraid to spend money in those areas to get the right resources.

That, to me is...if we feel X is the right resource, we'll spend the money on it because the league doesn't restrain us there. If making Sullivan the highest paid coach is what's needed, they'll do it. If getting a different coach for X dollars and having to pay Sullivan to not coach is the right move, they'll do it. Now, I don't think you can be doing that year after year, but, they were ok giving Sullivan a big extension, and surely spent a truckload on Dubas.

Sullivan isn't Dubas's mess to clean up. If Dubas were to ever fire him, he should get a pass from FSG there, but, I would think Dubas cannot make costly mistakes outside the cap over and over, or it will eventually catch up to him and cost him his job.
I'm thinking paying Sullivan to not coach next year's team is a fine investment. Same with Reirden.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

There’s also the off chance that he waits for the job he wants and turns his focus in the meantime on Team USA for the lead up time to the Olympics all the while getting paid by FSG over two seasons.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

I imagine selling snake oil in 19th century Kentucky had a similar syntatical structure.