Official GDT: Pens vs Bolts 2/11/20

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: Official GDT: Pens vs Bolts 2/11/20

Postby DelPen on Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:00 am

The Jarved Komet wrote:Nary a bad word about about Matt Murray tonight, nor for the past few games. As it should be. He's playing great again.

He is getting in the way of just about every shot he sees. PP goal he just had no idea where the puck was at the point because he had 5 guys blocking his sight lines.

It looks clunky at times and theirs rebounds everywhere but he’s getting the job done again. I don’t think he’s outplaying Jarry per se but it’s great to see he’s not giving up the back breakers right now.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Southern Fan on Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:39 am

The Jarved Komet wrote:Nary a bad word about about Matt Murray tonight, nor for the past few games. As it should be. He's playing great again.

I’ll break the ice. Jarry would have saved the game winner.

But Murray played well.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:55 am

Confounding how Tampa got swept last year.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sjnhiils on Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:10 pm

Kucherov and Stamkos get most of the headlines but I was really impressed with Point last night. Don't know how he lasted until the 3rd round of the draft. Cirelli was also a 3rd rounder and they got Kucherov with the 58th pick in the 2nd round. It is said a lot that there is not much left at the end of the 1st round and 2nd and 3rd round picks are not worth much but there are players available. Yes,they got Guentzel,Rust and Letang in the 3rd round but how many more guys like them did they miss out on because they traded those picks or drafted poorly. The argument is always used that all the other teams missed on those players too, but it is no coincidence that some teams hold onto their picks and are able to turn them into productive players even though they are not high 1st round picks.
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:11 pm

DelPen wrote:

He is getting in the way of just about every shot he sees. PP goal he just had no idea where the puck was at the point because he had 5 guys blocking his sight lines.

It looks clunky at times and theirs rebounds everywhere but he’s getting the job done again. I don’t think he’s outplaying Jarry per se but it’s great to see he’s not giving up the back breakers right now.

Since Jan 1st 2020

Murray has an all strengths save % of .924.
Jarry has an all strengths save % of .910.

Murray has a GAA of 2.38
Jarry has a GAA of 2.75

Murray has a high danger save % of .921
Jarry has a high danger save % of .774

At 5 v 5

Murray has a save% of .931
Jarry has a save % of .909

Murray has a GAA of 2.28
Jarry has a GAA of 2.83

Murray has a HD save % of .936
Jarry has a HD save % of .769

During this time, Murray has made 7 starts and Jarry 9. The majority of Murray's starts have come on the road.

Jarry was great and deserved his all star accolades, but he's also allowed 3 goals in 8 of his last 10 starts. To say Murray isn't outplaying Jarry lately probably isn't true. I know everyone wants to hate on Murray, and it was well deserved, but it's also time to realize when he's playing well and deserving of the starting role. I like the battle going on, it's healthy.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby ahawk9 on Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:23 pm

sjnhiils wrote:Kucherov and Stamkos get most of the headlines but I was really impressed with Point last night. Don't know how he lasted until the 3rd round of the draft. Cirelli was also a 3rd rounder and they got Kucherov with the 58th pick in the 2nd round. It is said a lot that there is not much left at the end of the 1st round and 2nd and 3rd round picks are not worth much but there are players available. Yes,they got Guentzel,Rust and Letang in the 3rd round but how many more guys like them did they miss out on because they traded those picks or drafted poorly. The argument is always used that all the other teams missed on those players too, but it is no coincidence that some teams hold onto their picks and are able to turn them into productive players even though they are not high 1st round picks.

Well said. I think the Capitals are a team that kept a lot of their high picks, and that has helped them sustain their window. I really thought they were done after 2017 loss to the Pens, but guys like Vrana and (pains me to say it) Wilson, et al, developed into solid, cheap players. I didn't like how Shero threw picks away, and to some extent Rutherford, although I can't argue with Jimmy's moves. A few I didn't like, but I have to trust he's doing something decent. I would love it if they could get back some good picks this summer. We'll see. I'm on board with Zucker, though. I think he'll be a good pickup. #whatdoiknow
ahawk9

Postby sjnhiils on Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:58 pm

ahawk9 wrote:
sjnhiils wrote:Kucherov and Stamkos get most of the headlines but I was really impressed with Point last night. Don't know how he lasted until the 3rd round of the draft. Cirelli was also a 3rd rounder and they got Kucherov with the 58th pick in the 2nd round. It is said a lot that there is not much left at the end of the 1st round and 2nd and 3rd round picks are not worth much but there are players available. Yes,they got Guentzel,Rust and Letang in the 3rd round but how many more guys like them did they miss out on because they traded those picks or drafted poorly. The argument is always used that all the other teams missed on those players too, but it is no coincidence that some teams hold onto their picks and are able to turn them into productive players even though they are not high 1st round picks.

Well said. I think the Capitals are a team that kept a lot of their high picks, and that has helped them sustain their window. I really thought they were done after 2017 loss to the Pens, but guys like Vrana and (pains me to say it) Wilson, et al, developed into solid, cheap players. I didn't like how Shero threw picks away, and to some extent Rutherford, although I can't argue with Jimmy's moves. A few I didn't like, but I have to trust he's doing something decent. I would love it if they could get back some good picks this summer. We'll see. I'm on board with Zucker, though. I think he'll be a good pickup. #whatdoiknow

You wonder how things would have been different if they took Backstrom over Staal or Kuznetsov over Bennett. They also drafted Johansson and Burakovsky who have turned into productive players.
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The Jarved Komet on Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:57 pm

Southern Fan wrote:

But Murray played well.

"Twister would have saved our bacon" seems to be a popular fallback position. Phil would have had 5 goals...

Take a look at the first 10 minutes of this game. TB came out smokin and February Matt made a half dozen really good saves right out of the gate (and several really REALLY good saves) that November Matt would have whiffed and the Pens would have been down 3 or 4-zip before the first beer commercial and maybe zero points instead of the one they got. That didn't happen last night. I saw a comfortable, confident guy keep the Pens in it against a very good team. That's a good thing btw.

This Matt I like. Whatever bad juju funk he fell in (speculation) a couple years ago after his dad died and his gf left him and his dog ran away and he lost all his superpowers, he seems to have gotten over all that. I personally feel less cringey about him being in net. He looks much better, healed if you will. He's playing himself back into the starting job and if he keeps this up the Pens will pay the man top dinero this summer, and rightly so. As comparison Henrik Lundqvist makes $10m and he's a chump. Muzz >.

I guess, #whatdoIknowaboutanything.
The Jarved Komet
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Southern Fan on Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:01 pm

The Jarved Komet wrote:
Southern Fan wrote:

But Murray played well.

"Twister would have saved our bacon" seems to be a popular fallback position. Phil would have had 5 goals...

Take a look at the first 10 minutes of this game. TB came out smokin and February Matt made a half dozen really good saves right out of the gate (and several really REALLY good saves) that November Matt would have whiffed and the Pens would have been down 3 or 4-zip before the first beer commercial and maybe zero points instead of the one they got. That didn't happen last night. I saw a comfortable, confident guy keep the Pens in it against a very good team. That's a good thing btw.

This Matt I like. Whatever bad juju funk he fell in (speculation) a couple years ago after his dad died and his gf left him and his dog ran away and he lost all his superpowers, he seems to have gotten over all that. I personally feel less cringey about him being in net. He looks much better, healed if you will. He's playing himself back into the starting job and if he keeps this up the Pens will pay the man top dinero this summer, and rightly so. As comparison Henrik Lundqvist makes $10m and he's a chump. Muzz >.

I guess, #whatdoIknowaboutanything.

No argument with what you said, except for the future contract. Pay this guy long term and over $7.5 million, you are throwing money away and horribly messing up the salary cap. Our future third line and fourth lines will look like our fourth line from last week. Lundqvist, Bobrovsky, Price aren’t worth the money. The guy at the other end of the ice on Tuesday might be worth the big bucks.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The Jarved Komet on Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:21 pm

No argument with what you said, except for the future contract. Pay this guy long term and over $7.5 million, you are throwing money away and horribly messing up the salary cap. Our future third line and fourth lines will look like our fourth line from last week. Lundqvist, Bobrovsky, Price aren’t worth the money. The guy at the other end of the ice on Tuesday might be worth the big bucks.

The Lundqvist poke was gratuitous but my guess (an uneducated guess at that) is Matt gets something like $8m assuming he doesn't completely fall on his ass the rest of the way. It's a quandry with the salary cap (how much do they increase that next season?) but what do you do? Trade him to Buffalo to save your core and have to face him in the playoffs every year? Tough choices a'comin. Increasing the cap substantially would help.
The Jarved Komet
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins