Trade Idea?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Trade Idea?

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:03 am

I figured with us now having some cap space we could create a thread to discuss some possible down the road/future moves the Pens could make to get this team solidified and playoff ready (at some point).

I created a trade on capfriendly….just wanted some thoughts:

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1496075

My idea here with these two trades is you trade Bjustad who just is not really fitting in the Pens system and you bump over MCann to center with Rust/Tanev on his line. With trading Bjustad we get Toffoli (who is signed through rest of this season) and put him with Alex and Malkin.

To make up some cap difference and gain a contract I traded Rhweduel to the Peg for a draft pick. I just did a third but doesn't have to be a third..just the concept of the idea.

Thoughts? Other Ideas from the board?

I think the Pens are close to being a legit contender this year but they just seem off a bit.
Pensfan4life8771
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Trade Idea?

Postby Jim on Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:25 am

I do not think that Bjugstad gets you Toffoli. LA's D is poo. LA's G is poo, but they just signed their backup to a $1.65Mx2 deal, so a back-up G isn't going to help.

Maybe Bjugstad, Ruhwedel, plus a 5th type pick for Toffoli and a nobody-AHLer that is under contract counting towards LA's 50 limit. They are currently at 49 do a 2-for-1 would put them at 50, a 2-for-2 (with the second being a nobody) would keep them at 49 but not actually "cost" the team a measurable asset.

LA was attached to Johnson a few times, maybe start with Bjugstad, Johnson, 2nd for Toffoli, AHLer.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ericf on Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:28 am

Toffoli is crap...just the same as Bjugstad...he wouldn't fit this speedy system anyway...he's not for the Pens
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jim on Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:34 am

Ericf wrote:Toffoli is crap...just the same as Bjugstad...he wouldn't fit this speedy system anyway...he's not for the Pens

One less year of term...
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby midd on Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:42 am

I can see Bjugstad being traded. But I hope GMJR doesn't go crazy because he has some cap space. Pettersson will more than likely get an extension in January. The Pens have some RFA's they'll need to sign next off season.

I'd like to see Sully give Kahun a shot with Sid and Jake. He's crafty. He has Simon's speed and the guy is on a verge of a breakthrough. It's worth a shot. Move Simon to the third and he can play with McCann/Bjugstad and Hornqvist/Lafferty.

I like Rust with Malkin and hopefully Galchenyuk can produce a little more.
midd
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sjnhiils on Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:56 am

Toffoli is not a speedster but he has very good possession numbers. Maybe he could bring to the Pens what Oshie does for the Caps. If you wanted more speed, how about Bjugstad and pick /prospect for Fiala who has fallen out of favor in Min. and could use a change if scenery.
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:12 pm

I do not see any reason we need to make a trade right now. This roster has had so much turnover the past 2-3 seasons, I think they need to settle down and let the team play for a while. This team is exciting, fast and a lot of fun to watch. I really like all 4 lines, especially the 3rd and 4th. I just don't see the need for a trade.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel on Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:47 pm

Pitts wrote:I do not see any reason we need to make a trade right now. This roster has had so much turnover the past 2-3 seasons, I think they need to settle down and let the team play for a while. This team is exciting, fast and a lot of fun to watch. I really like all 4 lines, especially the 3rd and 4th. I just don't see the need for a trade.

The roster has had a ton of turnover through the first month of the season. How many times has the project lineup been in the same game? I have no issues with trades, but we need to find out where the strengths and weaknesses are. Galchenyuk for example has played 6 games, Rust has played 4. Players in and out of the lineup.

Give the group 20-30 games to see what's needed. Look at Kahun, he all of a sudden has 7 points in 14 games and we were ready to trade him after the first week.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:40 pm

Pitts wrote:I do not see any reason we need to make a trade right now. This roster has had so much turnover the past 2-3 seasons, I think they need to settle down and let the team play for a while. This team is exciting, fast and a lot of fun to watch. I really like all 4 lines, especially the 3rd and 4th. I just don't see the need for a trade.

The only way we may need to make a trade is if Letang is out longer term, like, 2 months or more.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby johnnews on Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:44 pm

Maybe Galchenyuk will gel with Recchi at center
johnnews
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Penspal on Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:53 pm

I dismissed it last year when it was mentioned. I did this year too, especially after pumping his tires before the season, but if Geno keeps going the way he's going (call it slump, call it whatever you want), then FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER, I think the Pens should look at dealing him... there, I said it and I know its blasphemous, but it really would depend on what you could get... And my first line of defense is "Well, even Gretzky was traded" ;)

I know its drastic, but is it possible Geno will just spiral and spiral and his value will go lower and lower. He is a generational talent, right up there, but so is Sid and one is pulling this team, the other is not.

And next game Geno is sure start a 10 game point streak.... you can thank me now ;)
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Ericf on Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:22 pm

Geno has looked good both before and after injury....I don’t know what games you’re watching...he needs to shoot more, which is a common complaint...every good offensive player takes risks or they wouldn’t be elite
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby jpvs2k6 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:22 pm

Penspal wrote:I know its drastic, but is it possible Geno will just spiral and spiral and his value will go lower and lower. He is a generational talent, right up there, but so is Sid and one is pulling this team, the other is not.

One of the two is a -5 with no points in the last two games.

The other is Evgeni Malkin.
jpvs2k6
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:43 pm

Penspal wrote:I dismissed it last year when it was mentioned. I did this year too, especially after pumping his tires before the season, but if Geno keeps going the way he's going (call it slump, call it whatever you want), then FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER, I think the Pens should look at dealing him... there, I said it and I know its blasphemous, but it really would depend on what you could get... And my first line of defense is "Well, even Gretzky was traded" ;)

I know its drastic, but is it possible Geno will just spiral and spiral and his value will go lower and lower. He is a generational talent, right up there, but so is Sid and one is pulling this team, the other is not.

And next game Geno is sure start a 10 game point streak.... you can thank me now ;)

I could only watch bits and pieces of the game last night on my phone, and, while Geno hasn't scored, I thought he's looked good. Against Edmonton, he seemed to really be driving hard and determined. From what I saw last night, he looked to be playing the system well. I saw a few times where he got the puck at his own blue line, started skating with the puck, and I said to myself "Please don't try to stick handle through all 5 opposing players," and he didn't. He was more willing to pass the puck off or dump the puck into the zone and chase, rather than trying to skate and deke around everyone in his way.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby 100565 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:55 pm

I think Geno has looked good this year. He cannot (99.999%) be traded during season - What team could handle $9.5 million in a deal that would be good for rhe Pens? maybe Colorado.

I agree that no one should be traded anytime soon; need time to evaluate roster. However, end Dec thru Jan I could see a deal happening (and deadline). It is fun to me to speculate and discuss trades now.

If Hall is available, I think the Pens could find the right pieces to make it happen. Guentzel-Crosby and Hall-Malkin would be awesome pairs to finish out the Sid/Geno era.
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Daniel on Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:00 pm

100565 wrote:I think Geno has looked good this year. He cannot (99.999%) be traded during season - What team could handle $9.5 million in a deal that would be good for rhe Pens? maybe Colorado.

I agree that no one should be traded anytime soon; need time to evaluate roster. However, end Dec thru Jan I could see a deal happening (and deadline). It is fun to me to speculate and discuss trades now.

If Hall is available, I think the Pens could find the right pieces to make it happen. Guentzel-Crosby and Hall-Malkin would be awesome pairs to finish out the Sid/Geno era.

I think presuming the Pens can sign Hall makes trading for him too much of a risk. I can see Hall being a UFA.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:26 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Penspal wrote:I dismissed it last year when it was mentioned. I did this year too, especially after pumping his tires before the season, but if Geno keeps going the way he's going (call it slump, call it whatever you want), then FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER, I think the Pens should look at dealing him... there, I said it and I know its blasphemous, but it really would depend on what you could get... And my first line of defense is "Well, even Gretzky was traded" ;)

I could only watch bits and pieces of the game last night on my phone, and, while Geno hasn't scored, I thought he's looked good. Against Edmonton, he seemed to really be driving hard and determined. From what I saw last night, he looked to be playing the system well. I saw a few times where he got the puck at his own blue line, started skating with the puck, and I said to myself "Please don't try to stick handle through all 5 opposing players," and he didn't. He was more willing to pass the puck off or dump the puck into the zone and chase, rather than trying to skate and deke around everyone in his way.

I noticed the same. He's definitely trying to play a more responsible game. I think the points will start to come as he gets more comfortable with it.

Or, he will get frustrated at the lack or production and slide back to his norm.

:)
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:29 pm

100565 wrote:I think Geno has looked good this year. He cannot (99.999%) be traded during season - What team could handle $9.5 million in a deal that would be good for rhe Pens? maybe Colorado.

I'm certain there will be a move or two at the deadline, especially for a playoff chase.

New Jersey needs a goalie. We have 2 starters. Hmmmm. But, how do you make Hall work long-term? No money.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sjnhiils on Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:32 pm

All 4 lines are coming with speed. Maybe that has something to do with Hornqvist being out? I like how he drives to the net but he seems to slow down whatever line he is on!
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby 100565 on Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:25 am

Pitts wrote:New Jersey needs a goalie. We have 2 starters. Hmmmm. But, how do you make Hall work long-term? No money.

source capfriendly
Malkin, Evgeni . $9,500,000
Crosby, Sidney . $8,700,000
Guentzel, Jake . $6,000,000
Tanev, Brandon . $3,500,000
Rust, Bryan . $3,500,000
McCann, Jared . $3,500,000 (guess)
Aston-Reese, Zach . $1,000,000
Kahun, Dominik . $1,000,000 (guess)
Blueger, Teddy . $750,000
Simon, Dominik . $1,500,000 (guess)
Letang, Kris . $7,250,000
Dumoulin, Brian . $4,100,000
Riikola, Juuso . $900,000 (guess)
Marino, John . $925,000
Ruhwedel, Chad . $700,000 (guess)
Murray, Matt . $6,250,000 (guess)
Jarry, Tristan . $1,400,000 (guess)
Hörnqvist, Patric . $5,300,000
Hall, Taylor . $9,500,000 (guess)
Brodin, Jonas . $4,166,667
Lafferty, Sam . $800,000 (guess)

Johnson, Jack . $916,667 (Buyout)
$81,158,334 - Cap is estimated to be between 83-85million.

This is based off the trades I proposed in the other thread (Gudbranson)...some of the guess contracts might be low, but there is other wiggle room too: only forward rookie would be Lafferty (but I think there are others that can fill in on 3rd and 4th lines, which would mean a more expensive player (or two) could be replaced.), JJohnson buyout (but if he plays like he has been with another year of his contract gone, I think he is reasonably moveable), keeping Horny (and Rust)

Galchenyuk + Pettersson + DeSmith (or Jarry, or Kahun, or ZAR, or Simon) + 1st (2021, 2021 3rd if no resign)
for
Hall

Bjugstad + 2020 1st
for
Brodin (with maybe 4th round pick added)

ROSTER: (needs two to reach 23)

Guentzel . Crosby . Simon
Hall . Malkin . Hörnqvist
Rust . McCann . Tanev
Lafferty . Blueger . Kahun
Aston-Reese

Dumoulin . Letang .
Brodin . Marino
Riikola . xxxx
xxxx . Ruhwedel

Murray, Matt
Jarry, Tristan

It is tight (like this year), but do-able. It would be nice to move Hornqvist next offseason, but probably unlikely.
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby dark_forces on Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:20 am

100565 wrote:
Pitts wrote:New Jersey needs a goalie. We have 2 starters. Hmmmm. But, how do you make Hall work long-term? No money.

source capfriendly
Malkin, Evgeni . $9,500,000
Crosby, Sidney . $8,700,000
Guentzel, Jake . $6,000,000
Tanev, Brandon . $3,500,000
Rust, Bryan . $3,500,000
McCann, Jared . $3,500,000 (guess)
Aston-Reese, Zach . $1,000,000
Kahun, Dominik . $1,000,000 (guess)
Blueger, Teddy . $750,000
Simon, Dominik . $1,500,000 (guess)
Letang, Kris . $7,250,000
Dumoulin, Brian . $4,100,000
Riikola, Juuso . $900,000 (guess)
Marino, John . $925,000
Ruhwedel, Chad . $700,000 (guess)
Murray, Matt . $6,250,000 (guess)
Jarry, Tristan . $1,400,000 (guess)
Hörnqvist, Patric . $5,300,000
Hall, Taylor . $9,500,000 (guess)
Brodin, Jonas . $4,166,667
Lafferty, Sam . $800,000 (guess)

Johnson, Jack . $916,667 (Buyout)
$81,158,334 - Cap is estimated to be between 83-85million.

This is based off the trades I proposed in the other thread (Gudbranson)...some of the guess contracts might be low, but there is other wiggle room too: only forward rookie would be Lafferty (but I think there are others that can fill in on 3rd and 4th lines, which would mean a more expensive player (or two) could be replaced.), JJohnson buyout (but if he plays like he has been with another year of his contract gone, I think he is reasonably moveable), keeping Horny (and Rust)

Galchenyuk + Pettersson + DeSmith (or Jarry, or Kahun, or ZAR, or Simon) + 1st (2021, 2021 3rd if no resign)
for
Hall

Bjugstad + 2020 1st
for
Brodin (with maybe 4th round pick added)

ROSTER: (needs two to reach 23)

Guentzel . Crosby . Simon
Hall . Malkin . Hörnqvist
Rust . McCann . Tanev
Lafferty . Blueger . Kahun
Aston-Reese

Dumoulin . Letang .
Brodin . Marino
Riikola . xxxx
xxxx . Ruhwedel

Murray, Matt
Jarry, Tristan

It is tight (like this year), but do-able. It would be nice to move Hornqvist next offseason, but probably unlikely.

Throwing away a 1st round pick with Bjugstad for Brodin is a massive overpayment.
dark_forces
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:47 am

The real issue is, can this team get a set of forwards and defensemen they are happy with. If we look back to the back to back cup years, there was very little turnover for 2-3 years. You added a Daley, you add a Hagelin, you added Bonino and Kessel. Other than that, there wasn't a lot of turnover. We need to get back to that point. The team has churned through a lot of players the past few years, and, I'm still not certain they have the right mix of players or are playing guys in their optimal spots.

I look at the team right now at forward, and try to slot guys where I think they should be. I come up with:
Guentzel-Crosby-X
X-Malkin-X
X-X-X
X-Blueger-X

That doesn't mean I want to get rid of Hornqvist, Simon, Rust, Tanev, ZAR, Kahun, Bjugstad, etc.....but, some of these guys don't fit the team system well, and some of these guys are constantly playing in roles that maybe aren't suited to their abilities, or bring the same abilities as others on the line.

Guentzel-Crosby-Tanev
Hall-Malkin-Rust
X-McCann-X
X-Blueger-X

I don't hate Simon, at all. The team likes him, but, I do think Boston exposed the shortcoming of a Guentzel-Crosby-Simon line, in that Guentzel and Crosby are the workhorses. Guentzel is average defensively. Crosby is great defensively most times, but, if you are forcing him into a defensive role on the line, you limit what he can do offensively. Ideally, I'd like to see a guy like Tanev or Rust there, to be that speedy, defensive guy that can still put up 30-40 points on that line. If you got Taylor Hall, I'd do the same thing with that line, put a Rust or Tanev with Malkin line so that they have a strong defensive presence with them.

3rd and 4th lines, I'm not really sure what to make of McCann. He's still only 23 years old, but, so far, I'm not seeing him as getting to that next level. I'd love to see him be a 50 point guy on a 3rd line. I think if he can do that (with maybe some spot duty in the top 6), then he should be able to grow as a player in the top 6. I've heard McCann might get Rust level money. I'd try to keep him at 2.5-3M on a 2 year deal. Make him prove it.

So, I've got Hornqvist, Simon, Kahun, ZAR, Lafferty and Bjugstad left.

I would love to see a line with Lafferty-Blueger-X (with X maybe being Adam Johnson, or maybe Kahun). A fast 4th line that is very defensively responsible.
You also need to decide what the 3rd line makeup is. Is it another defensive line. Is it meant to be another scoring line. If it's defensive, go get some more speedy defensive players that can produce at a 30-40 point level. I'm not sure Hornqvist, or Simon or Kahun or Bjugstad fit that role. Same thing even if you want an offensive 3rd line.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Daniel on Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:02 pm

FLPensFan wrote:The real issue is, can this team get a set of forwards and defensemen they are happy with. If we look back to the back to back cup years, there was very little turnover for 2-3 years. You added a Daley, you add a Hagelin, you added Bonino and Kessel. Other than that, there wasn't a lot of turnover. We need to get back to that point. The team has churned through a lot of players the past few years, and, I'm still not certain they have the right mix of players or are playing guys in their optimal spots.

I look at the team right now at forward, and try to slot guys where I think they should be. I come up with:
Guentzel-Crosby-X
X-Malkin-X
X-X-X
X-Blueger-X

That doesn't mean I want to get rid of Hornqvist, Simon, Rust, Tanev, ZAR, Kahun, Bjugstad, etc.....but, some of these guys don't fit the team system well, and some of these guys are constantly playing in roles that maybe aren't suited to their abilities, or bring the same abilities as others on the line.

Guentzel-Crosby-Tanev
Hall-Malkin-Rust
X-McCann-X
X-Blueger-X

I don't hate Simon, at all. The team likes him, but, I do think Boston exposed the shortcoming of a Guentzel-Crosby-Simon line, in that Guentzel and Crosby are the workhorses. Guentzel is average defensively. Crosby is great defensively most times, but, if you are forcing him into a defensive role on the line, you limit what he can do offensively. Ideally, I'd like to see a guy like Tanev or Rust there, to be that speedy, defensive guy that can still put up 30-40 points on that line. If you got Taylor Hall, I'd do the same thing with that line, put a Rust or Tanev with Malkin line so that they have a strong defensive presence with them.

3rd and 4th lines, I'm not really sure what to make of McCann. He's still only 23 years old, but, so far, I'm not seeing him as getting to that next level. I'd love to see him be a 50 point guy on a 3rd line. I think if he can do that (with maybe some spot duty in the top 6), then he should be able to grow as a player in the top 6. I've heard McCann might get Rust level money. I'd try to keep him at 2.5-3M on a 2 year deal. Make him prove it.

I would love to see a line with Lafferty-Blueger-X (with X maybe being Adam Johnson, or maybe Kahun). A fast 4th line that is very defensively responsible.
You also need to decide what the 3rd line makeup is. Is it another defensive line. Is it meant to be another scoring line. If it's defensive, go get some more speedy defensive players that can produce at a 30-40 point level. I'm not sure Hornqvist, or Simon or Kahun or Bjugstad fit that role. Same thing even if you want an offensive 3rd line.

I think it's premature to be talking about trades right now. I'd like to just see how a consistent group of 12 (or 13) forwards can play together.

Guenztel - Crosby - Simon is about as stable as can be but adding Rust would be nice
Galchenyuk - Malkin - Rust (can Kahun play RW?)
McCann - Bjugstad - Kahun/Rust or Kahun - McCann - Bjugstad
ZAR - Bleuger - Tanev

See how these lines roll through Christmas and go from there. Rust almost has to be the odd man out, but I'd much rather trade Hornqvist if possible. If Kahun can play RW that would allow some pretty good flexibility to see where he fits overall.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Ericf on Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:17 pm

Daniel wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:The real issue is, can this team get a set of forwards and defensemen they are happy with. If we look back to the back to back cup years, there was very little turnover for 2-3 years. You added a Daley, you add a Hagelin, you added Bonino and Kessel. Other than that, there wasn't a lot of turnover. We need to get back to that point. The team has churned through a lot of players the past few years, and, I'm still not certain they have the right mix of players or are playing guys in their optimal spots.

Guentzel-Crosby-X
X-Malkin-X
X-X-X
X-Blueger-X

Guentzel-Crosby-Tanev
Hall-Malkin-Rust
X-McCann-X
X-Blueger-X

I think it's premature to be talking about trades right now. I'd like to just see how a consistent group of 12 (or 13) forwards can play together.

Guenztel - Crosby - Simon is about as stable as can be but adding Rust would be nice
ZAR - Bleuger - Tanev

See how these lines roll through Christmas and go from there. Rust almost has to be the odd man out, but I'd much rather trade Hornqvist if possible. If Kahun can play RW that would allow some pretty good flexibility to see where he fits overall.

Kahun is playing RW on L3 now and played RW in Chicago....he prefers that position actually
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Daniel on Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:51 pm

Ericf wrote:
Daniel wrote:

Guentzel-Crosby-X
X-Malkin-X
X-X-X
X-Blueger-X

Guentzel-Crosby-Tanev
Hall-Malkin-Rust
X-McCann-X
X-Blueger-X

ZAR - Bleuger - Tanev

Kahun is playing RW on L3 now and played RW in Chicago....he prefers that position actually

Thanks, that makes it easier actually since LW seems to be pretty full. Simon, Rust, Kahun, Tanev in most orders would be a pretty nice lineup.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins