Game 13 vs Cryers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 13 vs Cryers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:18 am

Pens finish off Flyers 7-1

- Pens hitting their stride meeting a team fumbling and bumbling like the Flyers, it got ugly early and often. Loved every minute of it
- Any Simon slammers ready to at least have a taste of crow? C'mon, its working, admit it at least for a short period of time.
- Dumo coming back helped solidify the D and get everyone back to where they play best, most underated Dman the Pens have had in a while
- Elliot was rightly pissed for being left out to dry on many of the goals. Where is the Flyers leadership? Asst Coach Theirien probably ripped them post game :lol:
- What's up with the Pens powerplay? Hopefully getting Geno back can fix things, cause its not firing.
- Bjugstad is at least skating like he realizes his job is on the line. He had good jump last night, now he needs to hit the net on his chances :lol:
- Kahun has hopefully found his game, flashes of speed and poise with puck, now he's putting it in. What do we have with him?
- Same with Galchenyuk, showing lots of flash, hopefully he can start finding the net as well.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Game 13 vs Cryers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Weegie on Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:56 am

Anytime I get to watch the Pens pound the Cryers on the Cryers tv channel is a good day!

I liked the way Simon snapped that wrister in, that was a blur!

"GO HOME CRYERS ......GO HOME CRYERS......GO HOME CRYERS....."

They had NOTHING last night, NOTHING.....
Weegie
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby johnnews on Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:03 am

Crickets around here this morning. Absolute crickets.
johnnews
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby stonewizard51 on Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:09 am

Philly looked lifeless which was good for the Pens.

Pens were firing on all cylinders.

Great offensive show. 7 goals from 7 different guys one of which came from Seemoan. I did not see that one coming. Apparently neither did Elliott. What a laser snap shot. :D
Last edited by stonewizard51 on Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:31 am

Penspal wrote:Pens finish off Flyers 7-1

- Pens hitting their stride meeting a team fumbling and bumbling like the Flyers, it got ugly early and often. Loved every minute of it
- Any Simon slammers ready to at least have a taste of crow? C'mon, its working, admit it at least for a short period of time.
- Dumo coming back helped solidify the D and get everyone back to where they play best, most underated Dman the Pens have had in a while
- Elliot was rightly pissed for being left out to dry on many of the goals. Where is the Flyers leadership? Asst Coach Theirien probably ripped them post game :lol:
- What's up with the Pens powerplay? Hopefully getting Geno back can fix things, cause its not firing.
- Bjugstad is at least skating like he realizes his job is on the line. He had good jump last night, now he needs to hit the net on his chances :lol:
- Kahun has hopefully found his game, flashes of speed and poise with puck, now he's putting it in. What do we have with him?
- Same with Galchenyuk, showing lots of flash, hopefully he can start finding the net as well.

Where is the Flyers' leadership? Well, their captain is Claude Giroux. Not exactly brimming with leadership, to be perfectly honest. You'll see him take frequent shifts off and not play real hard in his own zone.

Dumo looked a bit rusty, I though, but good to have him back.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:33 am

Weegie wrote:Anytime I get to watch the Pens pound the Cryers on the Cryers tv channel is a good day!

I'm stuck listening to them as well. I almost choked when Giroux took a blatant dive and they approved of it - thinking of all the slander they've thrown at Sid for diving.

Sad part is, I heard Jim Jackson do a Pen's game against some other opponent (national network getting desperate, I guess), and without the homerism, he's actually a pretty good play-by-play announcer.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Weegie on Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:24 am

LimerickPensFan wrote:
Weegie wrote:Anytime I get to watch the Pens pound the Cryers on the Cryers tv channel is a good day!

I'm stuck listening to them as well. I almost choked when Giroux took a blatant dive and they approved of it - thinking of all the slander they've thrown at Sid for diving.

Sad part is, I heard Jim Jackson do a Pen's game against some other opponent (national network getting desperate, I guess), and without the homerism, he's actually a pretty good play-by-play announcer.

Yes he is good except when it is for his hometown Cry Fly boys!!! :lol:
Weegie
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Antonio on Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:57 am

I admitted yesterday I am eating a little Simon crow, but I am not ready to finish the plate just yet. I have liked what he done and he does seem to be helping generate offense on that line, so I am happy about that.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:29 pm

So Simon scored one of the 60 fantastic chances he's been fed this season. Whoopie.

Tried to figure out who gets bumped when Geno returns and my guess is Bleuger. ZAR has a lot of roles.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:34 pm

Sid played with a joy in his game. He could have had 5 points.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby relantel on Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:37 pm

penny lane wrote:Sid played with a joy in his game. He could have had 5 points.

Without that face shield... might have added a field goal!
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:28 pm

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:So Simon scored one of the 60 fantastic chances he's been fed this season. Whoopie.

Tried to figure out who gets bumped when Geno returns and my guess is Bleuger. ZAR has a lot of roles.

So...

Jake-Sid-Simon
Galchenyuk-Geno-Tanev
ZAR-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
Kahun-McCann-Rust

Seems solid.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pens4Life on Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:17 am

DelPen wrote:
RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:So Simon scored one of the 60 fantastic chances he's been fed this season. Whoopie.

So...

Jake-Sid-Simon
Galchenyuk-Geno-Tanev
ZAR-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
Kahun-McCann-Rust

Seems solid.

McCann deserves better role, not 4th line.. I would rather scratch ZAR and put McCann on LW, Blueger as 4th line C.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:35 am

Pens4Life wrote:
DelPen wrote:

So...

Jake-Sid-Simon
Galchenyuk-Geno-Tanev
ZAR-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
Kahun-McCann-Rust

Seems solid.

McCann deserves better role, not 4th line.. I would rather scratch ZAR and put McCann on LW, Blueger as 4th line C.

McCann has outplayed Bjugstad. I feel like eventually Bjugstad will be moved for additional cap space, just not til closer to the deadline or this offseason.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pruezy11881 on Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:17 am

Pens4Life wrote:
DelPen wrote:

So...

Jake-Sid-Simon
Galchenyuk-Geno-Tanev
ZAR-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
Kahun-McCann-Rust

Seems solid.

IMO, McCann is more noticeable on the wing versus center. But agree on the fact that he should be higher in the lineup.
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:07 am

Pruezy11881 wrote:
Pens4Life wrote:
DelPen wrote:

So...

Jake-Sid-Simon
Galchenyuk-Geno-Tanev
ZAR-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
Kahun-McCann-Rust

Seems solid.

IMO, McCann is more noticeable on the wing versus center. But agree on the fact that he should be higher in the lineup.

Unless you're looking to have four lines with the ability to score...
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby 100565 on Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:51 am

I know, I know; but hear me out.

I think it is important to evaluate this team. In particular, the centers. Who is (should be) 3C and 4C? Also, Malkin is awesome when playing at his best, but seems disinterested at times. It is critical to get him going.

I would like to see...
Jake-Sid-Geno
Galchenyuk-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
Rust-McCann-Tanev
Kahun-Blueger-ZAR(Simon)

I would like to see Tanev and Rust on the same line; they might feed off each other. Although I would start with rust and Tanev together, I would switch wingers on L2-L4 to get the right mix. The goal is to evaluate Bjugstad and McCann. Unless it is magical, I would go back to Geno as 2C later in the season...maybe 6 weeks from now. I think the forward depth is good enough to load-up line one. Perhaps Malkin would score a bunch to get him motivated!

I do think one of our forwards needs to be traded at some point this season to address 2LD. This evaluation will let them choose the most appropriate player to go.
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby johnnews on Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:58 am

LimerickPensFan wrote:

Use Reddit NHL live streams and watch the ATT broadcast on your phone or laptop. No way I'm listening to those blithering flyer idiots ever.
johnnews
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:31 am

Pruezy11881 wrote:
Pens4Life wrote:
DelPen wrote:

So...

Jake-Sid-Simon
Galchenyuk-Geno-Tanev
ZAR-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
Kahun-McCann-Rust

Seems solid.

I have said this exact thing leading into the season, however, I do think McCann has looked better this year center. That's not to say he plays center better than wing, just that he had looked better at center this year, compared to how he looked a few games last year at center.

Right now, I need about 10 healthy games or so to evaluate McCann, Bjugstad, and Galchenyuk.
--Bjugstad, bases on career production, career average TOI, and cap hit, is the ideal 3C.
--Blueger, however, didn't do too poorly in the 3C role in Bjugstad absense. His TOI is going to drop when Bjugstad returns, but Blueger is on pace for a 30 point season. If Blueger can be a 30-40 point guy as a 3C, he could possibly hold down that spot.
--McCann looked better at center in this stint than he looked there last year. The big question on McCann is, is he a 30-40 point player, or does he have 50-60 point potential. If he is the lower end, maybe he's your 3C. If he's the higher end, you probably want him in your top 6.
--Behind those 3, you have Lafferty, a bunch of WBS guys, and one in particular...Stefan Noesen. I think Noesen gets an NHL deal from the team soon, and he would be a solid 4C option at worst.

The Penguins have a lot of depth right now, which is great for when injuries occur. But, I think most people agree that they need one more solid LD in their lineup to really be a powerhouse. Bjugstad right now seems to be the early candidate to be used to acquire that piece. But I'd like to see more games from him first.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Daniel on Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:14 am

FLPensFan wrote:
Pruezy11881 wrote:
Pens4Life wrote:
DelPen wrote:

So...

Jake-Sid-Simon
Galchenyuk-Geno-Tanev
ZAR-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
Kahun-McCann-Rust

Seems solid.

I have said this exact thing leading into the season, however, I do think McCann has looked better this year center. That's not to say he plays center better than wing, just that he had looked better at center this year, compared to how he looked a few games last year at center.

Right now, I need about 10 healthy games or so to evaluate McCann, Bjugstad, and Galchenyuk.
--Bjugstad, bases on career production, career average TOI, and cap hit, is the ideal 3C.
--Blueger, however, didn't do too poorly in the 3C role in Bjugstad absense. His TOI is going to drop when Bjugstad returns, but Blueger is on pace for a 30 point season. If Blueger can be a 30-40 point guy as a 3C, he could possibly hold down that spot.
--McCann looked better at center in this stint than he looked there last year. The big question on McCann is, is he a 30-40 point player, or does he have 50-60 point potential. If he is the lower end, maybe he's your 3C. If he's the higher end, you probably want him in your top 6.
--Behind those 3, you have Lafferty, a bunch of WBS guys, and one in particular...Stefan Noesen. I think Noesen gets an NHL deal from the team soon, and he would be a solid 4C option at worst.

The Penguins have a lot of depth right now, which is great for when injuries occur. But, I think most people agree that they need one more solid LD in their lineup to really be a powerhouse. Bjugstad right now seems to be the early candidate to be used to acquire that piece. But I'd like to see more games from him first.

I'd like to see McCann play with Malkin and Galchenyuk. I think he could do what Jake did with a huge leap in production, either this year or next year, so would be wasted as a 3C. Not sure how he can do at RW with Galchenyuk as LW (or vice versa) but I think those two with Malkin would make a nice 2nd line.

Moving forward, I think one of Galchenyuk, Hornqvist, Rust, Bjugstad won't be on the team by the end of the year.

As for LD, if Johnson can play well (by his standards) it might not be quite a weak spot.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:06 pm

Lafferty sent to WBS about an hour ago.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins