Penguins vs Flyers: Pre-game talk

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Penguins vs Flyers: Pre-game talk

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:42 am

All players are on the ice this morning, including Malkin and ZAR, who are both in regular jerseys (not wearing no-contact jerseys).

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Bjugstad-Malkin-Kessel
Pearson-McCann-Simon
Wilson-Cullen-Hornqvist
(Blueger)

Pettersson-Letang
Dumoulin-Johnson
Maatta-Riikola
Schultz-Ruhwedel

Observations would seem to be Malkin back in, ZAR still out, and Schultz still out.

And from the land of blender, blender on the counter.....Bjugstad, who should be a center, and can play RW.....is playing LW. :face:
I can't really comment on ZAR since he is coming back from injury, but Wilson over Blueger. :face: :face:
Hornqvist on the 4th line RW. :face: :face: :face:

For the love of God Sully, stop with the **** lines all over the place.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Penguins vs Flyers: Pre-game talk

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:49 am

FLPensFan wrote:All players are on the ice this morning, including Malkin and ZAR, who are both in regular jerseys (not wearing no-contact jerseys).

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Bjugstad-Malkin-Kessel
Pearson-McCann-Simon
Wilson-Cullen-Hornqvist
(Blueger)

Pettersson-Letang
Dumoulin-Johnson
Maatta-Riikola
Schultz-Ruhwedel

Observations would seem to be Malkin back in, ZAR still out, and Schultz still out.

And from the land of blender, blender on the counter.....Bjugstad, who should be a center, and can play RW.....is playing LW. :face:
I can't really comment on ZAR since he is coming back from injury, but Wilson over Blueger. :face: :face:

Can't agree with you more FLPens. They need to set four lines and let them develop chemistry, period. There is reason our first line works....cause its been together all season! I'd roll with this:

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Bjugstad-Malkin-Horny
Pearson-McCann-Kessel
Wilson-Teddy-Simon
(Cullen)

Pettersson-Letang
Dumoulin-Johnson
Maatta-Schultz
Rikola-Ruhwedel
Pensfan4life8771
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby KG on Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:04 pm

Horny on the 4th line. That’s an expensive 4th liner!
Get Horny on the top 6 and leave him there please.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Puck-Lurker on Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:07 pm

Malkin back is great news.

3rd line looks rubbish this way. Not sure why the 4th line needed changing at all either. Oh well. I expect no improvements
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:14 pm

Matt Murray first goalie off...
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Cow_Master66 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:17 pm

I think I heard on the FAN that Kessel is off the 1st PP, but I may have been hearing things as I was multi-tasking.
Cow_Master66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:21 pm

Cow_Master66 wrote:I think I heard on the FAN that Kessel is off the 1st PP, but I may have been hearing things as I was multi-tasking.

He was off the first PP unit in practice.

Crosby, Malkin, Hornqvist were the first 3, Kessel, Bjugstad, Guentzel were second unit I believe.
Pettersson and Letang were first unit D, and Maatta-Riikola was 2nd unit D, but, then the d pairs switched to the other units.

Seems the line blender has bled its way on the PP now.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:27 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Matt Murray first goalie off...

Confirmed by Sullivan as tonight's starter.

Malkin probable according to Sullivan, game time decision. ZAR and Schultz confirmed out.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:32 pm

Oh....hold the phone....I owe Mike Sullivan a huge apology. He is not playing Blugstad on the LW. Bjugstad will be on the RW.

.....and Kessel will be the LW on that line with Malkin. :shock: :shock: :face: :face: :face:

Why don't we just play Casey DeSmith as our 3rd line center. Dress Jacques Martin as a bottom pairing d-man.....this is just asinine at this point where Sullivan is putting players.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:33 pm

Bjugstad hasn't played LW, so I guess give it a shot......
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Great58 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:52 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Why don't we just play Casey DeSmith as our 3rd line center.

Jarry is a proven scorer, what does he need to do to get a shot at 3C?

So it's Kessel being moved to LW? That ought to piss Phil off royally, being switched to his off wing at the same time as being taken off the 1PP. I guess my eyes have deceived my that Malkin has been a leader in PP turnovers, since he is staying on the top unit. Even though moving Malkin would make some sense, as both he and Crosby prefer the same half wall position.

And I guess Bjugstad was traded for to play top 6 RW, not C, and that McCann was their intended 3C all along?
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Maestro on Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:02 pm

Blueger should be playing.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby E-Ramone on Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:09 pm

Maestro wrote:Blueger should be playing.

I agree completely. He's shown the desire and is even producing right now when few others are. I'm starting to lose faith in HCMS. I used to think he was great at adjusting to take advantage of other teams. Now, it feels like the Disco Dan era of "get to your game" nonsense. I don't know, but things sure seem STALE.
E-Ramone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby dhayer18 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:30 pm

Pensfan4life8771 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:All players are on the ice this morning, including Malkin and ZAR, who are both in regular jerseys (not wearing no-contact jerseys).

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Bjugstad-Malkin-Kessel
Pearson-McCann-Simon
Wilson-Cullen-Hornqvist
(Blueger)

Pettersson-Letang
Dumoulin-Johnson
Maatta-Riikola
Schultz-Ruhwedel

Can't agree with you more FLPens. They need to set four lines and let them develop chemistry, period. There is reason our first line works....cause its been together all season! I'd roll with this:

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Bjugstad-Malkin-Horny
Pearson-McCann-Kessel
Wilson-Teddy-Simon
(Cullen)

Pettersson-Letang
Dumoulin-Johnson
Maatta-Schultz
Rikola-Ruhwedel

the first line should never change
59-87-72
the next three you can test out but why not
14-71-27
17-19-81
53-7-12
dhayer18
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby brwi on Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:33 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Oh....hold the phone....I owe Mike Sullivan a huge apology. He is not playing Blugstad on the LW. Bjugstad will be on the RW.

.....and Kessel will be the LW on that line with Malkin. :shock: :shock: :face: :face: :face:

Why don't we just play Casey DeSmith as our 3rd line center. Dress Jacques Martin as a bottom pairing d-man.....this is just asinine at this point where Sullivan is putting players.

Sullivan seems to have hit the panic button. Phil at LW???? WHY? Blueger blenched? This will be an interesting game to say the least.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Hatrick on Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:36 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Oh....hold the phone....I owe Mike Sullivan a huge apology. He is not playing Blugstad on the LW. Bjugstad will be on the RW.

that is SOOOO much better having kessel play LW for the first time rather than Bjugstad for the first time....

Martin might be an improvement over Johnson though so that move would actually be worth a shot. Let Johnson stand behind the bench in a suit.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby itissteeltime on Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:39 pm

These lines, both offense and defense, are just nonsensical.
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:45 pm

KG wrote:Horny on the 4th line. That’s an expensive 4th liner!

Believe me. Horny has the personality where he will prove he needs to be in the top 6. He hasn't scored in a while and Sully is pushing his button. Let's let Sully do his thing and see how it works.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby LimerickPensFan on Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:35 pm

KG wrote:Horny on the 4th line. That’s an expensive 4th liner!

If he hasn't been playing like a top 6 recently, why do you want him there?
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:40 pm

Read to day that Blueger had played against Carter Hart twice this season in the AHL and scored on him in both games. So, yeah, bench him.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Owchar76 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:23 pm

I've been losing respect for Sullivan over the last while, but seeing today's lines is taking the cake. I just sit here puzzled as to how these knowledgeable, experienced hockey guys can make the decisions and signings that Sullivan and Rutherford have made lately.

Falling in love with Cullen and Wilson is a disgrace. Wake up, open your eyes and see these guys for what they're worth. Blueger has done everything he can do this year to earn a spot, including the geezer of a GM talking him up. He comes up, doesn't look one bit out of place, has 2 goals and an assist in 6 games in 4th line duty and he gets scratched. Absolutely zero excuse for this when he's competing against the likes of Wilson and Cullen.

Did the GM and coach even have any sort of plan in place when making this Florida trade? I immediately envisioned Bjugstad as the 3rd line centre when guys like Sheahan and Brassard get shipped out. Nah, instead he's played all over the place and they're making McCann the 3C? I like the addition of McCann, but maybe as the 4C or on the wing and maybe on the 3rd in times of need. I'd like to say I trust the coaching staff, but how the F can you?

They just took a 351 goal scoring RW and moved him to his off wing. Why?

They're breaking up their best D pairing in order to try to get Jack Johnson going. Jack Johnson, a guy that hasn't been good anywhere in his career, ever. When amateur hockey minds can see this in both numbers and by watching, you have to lose a LOT of faith in this coaching staff. This was a terrible signing by the GM, there's no way around it, but it's amplified by the fact that Sullivan and staff keep elevating him instead of demoting him. Sullivan could easily cut his ice, shelter him, or even scratch him, but it's not happening. They are actually trying to utilize him in the top 4. It's embarrassing when a guy like Ruhwedel is rotting away for months at a time and can't even get a sniff. It's disgraceful that this organization top to bottom keeps letting this continue. Own up to your mistake!

Now I read that the Pens have traded for Siebenaler? Hopefully that's to shore up the AHL because a guy like Prow is getting the call because Johnson is being traded? Who knows what to think.

Now we're taking one of our best PP guys off the PP because Sully's PP design is set up to turn pucks over and always has? How is this Kessel's fault?

It's a downright joke the way things are going now. Sure people will say, "they know more than you". Really? Because their ridiculous decisions are resulting in nothing but loss after loss.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:09 pm

Owchar76 wrote:I've been losing respect for Sullivan over the last while, but seeing today's lines is taking the cake. I just sit here puzzled as to how these knowledgeable, experienced hockey guys can make the decisions and signings that Sullivan and Rutherford have made lately.

Falling in love with Cullen and Wilson is a disgrace. Wake up, open your eyes and see these guys for what they're worth. Blueger has done everything he can do this year to earn a spot, including the geezer of a GM talking him up. He comes up, doesn't look one bit out of place, has 2 goals and an assist in 6 games in 4th line duty and he gets scratched. Absolutely zero excuse for this when he's competing against the likes of Wilson and Cullen.

Did the GM and coach even have any sort of plan in place when making this Florida trade? I immediately envisioned Bjugstad as the 3rd line centre when guys like Sheahan and Brassard get shipped out. Nah, instead he's played all over the place and they're making McCann the 3C? I like the addition of McCann, but maybe as the 4C or on the wing and maybe on the 3rd in times of need. I'd like to say I trust the coaching staff, but how the F can you?

They just took a 351 goal scoring RW and moved him to his off wing. Why?

They're breaking up their best D pairing in order to try to get Jack Johnson going. Jack Johnson, a guy that hasn't been good anywhere in his career, ever. When amateur hockey minds can see this in both numbers and by watching, you have to lose a LOT of faith in this coaching staff. This was a terrible signing by the GM, there's no way around it, but it's amplified by the fact that Sullivan and staff keep elevating him instead of demoting him. Sullivan could easily cut his ice, shelter him, or even scratch him, but it's not happening. They are actually trying to utilize him in the top 4. It's embarrassing when a guy like Ruhwedel is rotting away for months at a time and can't even get a sniff. It's disgraceful that this organization top to bottom keeps letting this continue. Own up to your mistake!

Now I read that the Pens have traded for Siebenaler? Hopefully that's to shore up the AHL because a guy like Prow is getting the call because Johnson is being traded? Who knows what to think.

Now we're taking one of our best PP guys off the PP because Sully's PP design is set up to turn pucks over and always has? How is this Kessel's fault?

It's a downright joke the way things are going now. Sure people will say, "they know more than you". Really? Because their ridiculous decisions are resulting in nothing but loss after loss.

This. You nailed it.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby djlm on Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:10 pm

Owchar76 wrote:They just took a 351 goal scoring RW and moved him to his off wing. Why?

Only reason I can think of:
https://triblive.com/sports/penguins/12 ... g-pays-off

Or to maybe try Ovechkin-like one-timers from the left :-)
djlm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:39 pm

Welcome back Evgeni! No pressure or anything, just fix Phil and your team.

Let's go pens-
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: Through thick & thin; all out or all in~we'll get through together.

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:14 pm

penny lane wrote:Welcome back Evgeni! No pressure or anything, just fix Phil and your team.

Let's go pens-

:thumb:
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins