Game 55 vs Bolts - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 55 vs Bolts - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:51 am

Pens lose 5-4

- A tough loss in what was a close game against the league's best team
- Wilson's goal was a beauty and is long overdue. Hopefully luck turns his way and he keeps getting the puck on net.
- Bluegar and Johnson were the pens combatents. Says something about team toughness for sure, but at least it was not Pettersson (who almost fought, guys are looking to fight him now)
- JJ knows he's under the hotseat, for him to got all fisticuffs tells me he knows (fwiw)
- McCann is what the Pens were looking for in a 3C
- Hopefully Bjugstad is going to be okay, skate strikes/cuts are nasty and him not being there after the game probably implies furhter medical attention req'd
- Getting Schultz back and putting him on PP1 will hopefully stop this shorty madness... its killing the Pens
- That Flyer game on Monday night has gotten way more important. Pens need to keep those clowns down
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Game 55 vs Bolts - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby murphydump55 on Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:58 am

On the hot seat or under the gun.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:00 am

murphydump55 wrote:On the hot seat or under the gun.

Or, in the dumpster.....
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Penspal on Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:11 am

FLPensFan wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:On the hot seat or under the gun.

Or, in the dumpster.....

"Under the hot seat", not what I intended to write, but maybe fitting. Think outhouse.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ville5 on Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:13 am

-Congrats to Garrett Wilson. Beautifully placed shot.
-Hope we see Geno and Schultz back soon. We need them. Hopefully Malkin got his head cleared on his little break. And hopefully Schultz' skating hasn't been affected by the injury.
Without either, we're doomed.
-Blueger is around. 50 points per game with only 8:03 atoi. And he's battling hard, giving 110% effort and defensively responsible.
Wouldn't mind seeing him in his natural position.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:15 am

- That 1-1 was a complete mess that demonstrates the problems we've got at the back. Letang goes up ice. Rust passes it to someone who is covered (Sid) for the breakaway. Pettersson falls down and DeSmith will never be able to make a miracle save there.
- We found a use for JJ.
- The goals against by majority come from mistakes we are making. Often enough unforced errors. Needs to stop.
- I liked the shoot-first mentality of some of our guys. "Ooh, I got the puck, don't see exactly wh--" *gets the puck on goal* "--at to do with it". McCann for one, there were others.
- 4th line played well.

Some little playoff feel around that game. While TBL look strong, we'd have a shot if we could avoid going down more than 1 game.

A game to forget. We need Malkin and Schultz and the rest of the guys to get their act together.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:32 am

Yohe tweeted about 30 minutes ago that he spoke to GMJR. Bjugstad injury not believed to be serious.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Penspal on Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:43 am

Puck-Lurker wrote:- We found a use for JJ.
- The goals against by majority come from mistakes we are making. Often enough unforced errors. Needs to stop.
- I liked the shoot-first mentality of some of our guys. "Ooh, I got the puck, don't see exactly wh--" *gets the puck on goal* "--at to do with it". McCann for one, there were others.
- 4th line played well.

Some little playoff feel around that game. While TBL look strong, we'd have a shot if we could avoid going down more than 1 game.

A game to forget. We need Malkin and Schultz and the rest of the guys to get their act together.

Exactly.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby LimerickPensFan on Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:22 pm

ville5 wrote:-Congrats to Garrett Wilson. Beautifully placed shot.
-Hope we see Geno and Schultz back soon. We need them. Hopefully Malkin got his head cleared on his little break. And hopefully Schultz' skating hasn't been affected by the injury.
-Blueger is around. 50 points per game with only 8:03 atoi. And he's battling hard, giving 110% effort and defensively responsible.

DK did an interview with Geno a couple of days ago. It doesn't sound like his head is back on, in fact quite the opposite. DK asked him if he was looking forward to getting back in the game and hopefully shaking the problems he's been having, and Geno pretty much came out and said that you can't count on him not still having problems when he gets back. If he's thinking that way, I don't see how the problems are going to go away.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hatrick on Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:25 pm

-Wilsons goal was nice, wonder if that changes lineup decisions when everybody is healthy.
-can we have Johnson fight somebody every game? while not the best fighter he wasn't terrible.
-Its getting more and more important to have Schultz back but really cant rush it.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel on Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:19 pm

LimerickPensFan wrote:
ville5 wrote:-Congrats to Garrett Wilson. Beautifully placed shot.

DK did an interview with Geno a couple of days ago. It doesn't sound like his head is back on, in fact quite the opposite. DK asked him if he was looking forward to getting back in the game and hopefully shaking the problems he's been having, and Geno pretty much came out and said that you can't count on him not still having problems when he gets back. If he's thinking that way, I don't see how the problems are going to go away.

I wonder how much this is effecting Malkin:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46734925
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Daniel on Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:25 pm

Hatrick wrote:-Wilsons goal was nice, wonder if that changes lineup decisions when everybody is healthy.
-can we have Johnson fight somebody every game? while not the best fighter he wasn't terrible.
-Its getting more and more important to have Schultz back but really cant rush it.

I think you almost need Schultz and Letang on each PP units. Wouldn't mind something like these two units:

Crosby/Guentzel/Kessel
Letang/Pettersson

Malkin/Bjugstad/Hornqvist
Schultz/Maatta

Or whatever, but the point is to have 2 distinct units with 2 defensemen and not have one unit take up 90% of the PP time.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hatrick on Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:03 pm

Daniel wrote:
Hatrick wrote:-Wilsons goal was nice, wonder if that changes lineup decisions when everybody is healthy.

I think you almost need Schultz and Letang on each PP units. Wouldn't mind something like these two units:

Crosby/Guentzel/Kessel
Letang/Pettersson

Malkin/Bjugstad/Hornqvist
Schultz/Maatta

Or whatever, but the point is to have 2 distinct units with 2 defensemen and not have one unit take up 90% of the PP time.

yeah I mentioned awhile back about them possibly having two separate units that split the time more evenly.
Jake-Sid-xx(either horny or somebody else) s the forward group on one. xxx-Malkin-Kessel as the forward group on another one. And have Dumo-Letang and Maatta-Schultz as the two d pairs for the PPs. No more forwards on the point combined with more evenly split time should be something that helps. This was before the trade with florida and injury to malkin that brought it up, and will take Schultz and Malkin coming back to make it more possible.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Stillerz Bar on Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:21 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:Some little playoff feel around that game. While TBL look strong, we'd have a shot if we could avoid going down more than 1 game.

Right now I feel about the Pens kind of the way I did with the Steelers after the loss to the Saints - the team has enough talent to beat anyone but they are making too many mistakes and the self-inflicted wounds are costing them wins / points. In addition, special teams could do enough damage to keep them out of the playoffs.

It also feels a little like the 2014-15 Pens when they were sitting pretty in mid-March and then just collapsed finishing 3-8-2 over the last 13 games, backing into the playoffs and then getting destroyed 3-1 in the first round by the Rangers.

One positive is that the Pens have more time to fix things than the Steelers did after the Saints game and they still control; their own destiny. However, they do need to turn things fairly quickly - if they cough up too many games, at some point other teams will be in control and you will have to hope they stumble.

To me the weird thing about this year’s team is how streaky they are, both good & bad. They have had two win streaks each of 3 & 4 games plus win streaks of 5, 6, 7 & 8 games. On the other hand they’ve had three 3-game and 4-game losing streaks plus a 5-game losing streak. Let’s hope that the next time they get a win it turns into a nice hot streak.
Stillerz Bar
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins