Penguins vs Panthers: Pre-game talk (Game 2/7/19)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Penguins vs Panthers: Pre-game talk (Game 2/7/19)

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:33 pm

Da-faq?

Guentzel-Crosby-Bjugstad
Rust-Cullen-Kessel
Simon-McCann-Hornqvist
Pearson-Blueger-Wilson

Pettersson-Letang
Dumoulin-Johnson
Maatta-Riikola
Ruhwedel-Schultz

Also, Murray was not on the ice for practice. Mike Chiasson was the other goalie opposite DeSmith. No word on why Murray was absent.
No Malkin either.
Schultz on 4th pair, meaning looks like he won't go tonight either.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Penguins vs Panthers: Pre-game talk (Game 2/7/19)

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:37 pm

Pens play tomorrow not today.

May just be a maintenance day for Murray.
Pensfan4life8771
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:37 pm

That lineup screams I'll try anything now.
Pensfan4life8771
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pruezy11881 on Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:45 pm

Glass Murray being evaluated for an upper body injury...allegedly not a concussion. Get this dude some bubble wrap...
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:51 pm

Pensfan4life8771 wrote:Pens play tomorrow not today.

I'm aware, which is why I added the date. It's still pre-game, ie lines, practices, morning skates, injury stuff, etc.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:52 pm

Pruezy11881 wrote:Glass Murray being evaluated for an upper body injury...allegedly not a concussion. Get this dude some bubble wrap...

Sullivan also said injured players will accompany the team. I took that to mean Schultz and Malkin, and probably Murray too. Not sure about ZAR....still think he is further away.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KG on Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:59 pm

Cullen 2C and JJ top 4 defense....

Have to start questioning coaching at this point.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pruezy11881 on Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:04 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Pruezy11881 wrote:Glass Murray being evaluated for an upper body injury...allegedly not a concussion. Get this dude some bubble wrap...

Sullivan also said injured players will accompany the team. I took that to mean Schultz and Malkin, and probably Murray too. Not sure about ZAR....still think he is further away.

Even still, Murray can't stay healthy in the slightest for any serious length of time. This is becoming a trend over his short career and not a couple of isolated incidents.
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:16 pm

Pruezy11881 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

Even still, Murray can't stay healthy in the slightest for any serious length of time. This is becoming a trend over his short career and not a couple of isolated incidents.

Can a goalie wear the number 19? :lol:
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Daniel on Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:25 pm

FLPensFan wrote:

I'm aware, which is why I added the date. It's still pre-game, ie lines, practices, morning skates, injury stuff, etc.

You're aware but............Schultz on 4th pair, meaning looks like he won't go tonight either. :fist: :scared: 8-)
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Daniel on Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:27 pm

Pruezy11881 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

The goalie position sure went from a strength with a lot of depth to questionable with little depth very quickly.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pruezy11881 on Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:29 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Pruezy11881 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

Can a goalie wear the number 19? :lol:

:)
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:57 pm

Daniel wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

You're aware but............Schultz on 4th pair, meaning looks like he won't go tonight either. :fist: :scared: 8-)

Ha! Touche!
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:47 pm

Waiting for the Brassard HT.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hatrick on Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:20 pm

it literally looks like Sullivan pulled names out of hat for practice.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ville5 on Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:51 am

Hatrick wrote:it literally looks like Sullivan pulled names out of hat for practice.

Those D pairings tell me they're trying to insulate JMFJ. Pettersson cant cover his short comings, so try Dumoulin. Since Dumoulin is so adept at covering Letang's shortcomings.
But Cullen has been playing well. So I think he deserves some increased ice time.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens_CT on Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:09 am

ville5 wrote:
Hatrick wrote:it literally looks like Sullivan pulled names out of hat for practice.

Those D pairings tell me they're trying to insulate JMFJ. Pettersson cant cover his short comings, so try Dumoulin. Since Dumoulin is so adept at covering Letang's shortcomings.
But Cullen has been playing well. So I think he deserves some increased ice time.

Instead of trying to insulate Johnson put him where he belongs in the press box. Too bad this organization is willing to flush this season before admitting they made a mistake in signing him.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby America on Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:57 am

This will be my 6th Pens game this year in my 6th different arena (have been unbelievably lucky with my work travel lining up with Penguins games). Got a seat 3 rows from the glass for $70 LOL - have to love south Florida and hockey.
America
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:08 am

pens_CT wrote:
ville5 wrote:

Instead of trying to insulate Johnson put him where he belongs in the press box. Too bad this organization is willing to flush this season before admitting they made a mistake in signing him.

JJ has struggled, and has also played on his off side most of the season. They like him because of what he brings. Especially on the PK. Who is equipped to clear the front of the net if he sits? Nobody currently on the roster. You can debate all day about if he's worth dressing or not, but I find it idiotic to suggest that the Pens are willing to flush one of the final seasons in the Sid/Geno era down the drain. The mandate is to win Cups, not save face. Which they've done very well. They also saw fit to healthy scratch Maatta in the 2016 playoffs, and Hagelin in the 2017 playoffs. Also, based on saving face, they'd still have Hunwick, and Brassard would be the 3C. You may not agree with them, but they certainly aren't in this to save face.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:21 am

longtimefan wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
ville5 wrote:

JJ has struggled, and has also played on his off side most of the season. They like him because of what he brings. Especially on the PK. Who is equipped to clear the front of the net if he sits? Nobody currently on the roster. You can debate all day about if he's worth dressing or not, but I find it idiotic to suggest that the Pens are willing to flush one of the final seasons in the Sid/Geno era down the drain. The mandate is to win Cups, not save face. Which they've done very well. They also saw fit to healthy scratch Maatta in the 2016 playoffs, and Hagelin in the 2017 playoffs. Also, based on saving face, they'd still have Hunwick, and Brassard would be the 3C. You may not agree with them, but they certainly aren't in this to save face.

Well maybe but putting him in the top four doesn't improve the situation. They top four when healthy have to be Dumoulin-Letang and Maatta-Schultz. The bottom pairing needs to get sheltered minutes in the playoffs with Johnson on the PK. More ice time 5 on 5 for Johnson isn't heading in a direction to win a championship.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Southern Fan on Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:35 am

America wrote:This will be my 6th Pens game this year in my 6th different arena (have been unbelievably lucky with my work travel lining up with Penguins games). Got a seat 3 rows from the glass for $70 LOL - have to love south Florida and hockey.

I got a seat there once about 8 rows back. I had three different groups of people sitting in the row in front of me- one for each period. No control by ushers. You could buy a ticket in the upper deck and by the end of the game could be right behind the bench.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Southern Fan on Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:37 am

America wrote:This will be my 6th Pens game this year in my 6th different arena (have been unbelievably lucky with my work travel lining up with Penguins games). Got a seat 3 rows from the glass for $70 LOL - have to love south Florida and hockey.

I got a seat there once about 8 rows back. I had three different groups of people sitting in the row in front of me- one for each period. No control by ushers. You could buy a ticket in the upper deck and by the end of the game could be right behind the bench.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penspal on Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:53 am

KG wrote:Cullen 2C and JJ top 4 defense....

Question the coaching.... I don't think we are quite there yet. The 1st line Right Winger has pretty much changed every few games. By no means the definitive list of who's played there;

Rust
Simon
Brassard
Kessel
Horny

So trying out your new skilled RW with Sid & Jake seems like a no brainer!

As for Cullen on 2C, he's not played too bad since he's been back. I think part of the issue of late is have TWO or THREE (if you count Bluegar) new guys down the middle. Moving Cullen up to 2C in Malkin's absence provids stability in that he know the Pens systems and has played with his wingers.

As for the D pairings, Dumo is our best defender and pairing him with a struggling JJ (getting to play on his proper side) might just be what the doctor ordered. Hey, you have to try to fix things.

Pearson has been playing like a 4th liner, so put him there and see if they can't produce.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby murphydump55 on Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:27 am

Penspal wrote:

Question the coaching.... I don't think we are quite there yet. The 1st line Right Winger has pretty much changed every few games. By no means the definitive list of who's played there;

Rust
Simon
Brassard
Kessel
Horny

As for Cullen on 2C, he's not played too bad since he's been back. I think part of the issue of late is have TWO or THREE (if you count Bluegar) new guys down the middle. Moving Cullen up to 2C in Malkin's absence provids stability in that he know the Pens systems and has played with his wingers.

As for the D pairings, Dumo is our best defender and pairing him with a struggling JJ (getting to play on his proper side) might just be what the doctor ordered. Hey, you have to try to fix things.

Pearson has been playing like a 4th liner, so put him there and see if they can't produce.

Except that Dumoulin has like a 36% CF when playing with Johnson and a 54% away from him. When are they going to stop catering to Johnson and realize that he isn't good?
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:57 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
Penspal wrote:

Rust
Simon
Brassard
Kessel
Horny

Except that Dumoulin has like a 36% CF when playing with Johnson and a 54% away from him. When are they going to stop catering to Johnson and realize that he isn't good?

When Cullen retires
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins