Penguins remaining schedule for 2019 a concern

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Penguins remaining schedule for 2019 a concern

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:30 am

TSN's Travis Yost had a breakdown of every teams remaining schedule for January, March, and April. And wouldn't you know it.....the Penguins have the toughest remaining schedule out of anyone in the East.

In January, Pittsburgh is shown to have the 2nd toughest schedule in the NHL (Florida has the toughest).
In February, Pittsbugh has the 6th toughest schedule. (STL toughest, CBJ and Isles have tougher schedules in the East)
In March, Pittsburgh again has the 2nd toughest schedule in the NHL (Washington has the toughest in March)

So, to summarize, PIT has 2nd, 6th, 2nd toughest schedule in Jan, Feb, Mar.

Their main competition, WSH, CBJ, NYI

WSH is 15th, 28th, and 1st in Jan, Feb, Mar. Washington should be cleaning up and remaining out in front into March
CBJ is 23rd, 5th, and 5th.
NYI are 31st, 4th, 21st.

Add in the fact that, the Penguins have gone 1-5-1 against LA, Chicago, Ottawa, and Philly (the 4 last place teams, courtesy of the Trib), and they are leaving "easy points" on the board.

https://www.tsn.ca/strength-of-schedule-and-its-impact-on-playoff-races-1.1241110
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Penguins remaining schedule for 2019 a concern

Postby Crashguy66 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:03 pm

I actually think the better competition brings out the best in them. I'm guilty of using that phrase "play to the level of the competition" but are there really any total crap teams in the NHL? It's all momentum and guys getting hot or, conversely, slumping. I always feel pretty confident in them when they play the "good" teams. This would be more of a concern if the situation were reversed. 1-5-1 against 1st place teams. Get the injured back and I like their chances going forward. The upcoming Tampa games will be a good test.
Crashguy66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:41 pm

Crashguy66 wrote:I actually think the better competition brings out the best in them. I'm guilty of using that phrase "play to the level of the competition" but are there really any total crap teams in the NHL? It's all momentum and guys getting hot or, conversely, slumping. I always feel pretty confident in them when they play the "good" teams. This would be more of a concern if the situation were reversed. 1-5-1 against 1st place teams. Get the injured back and I like their chances going forward. The upcoming Tampa games will be a good test.

I tend to agree. The regular season is so long, and it's hard to keep focused for a veteran team. No matter how professional you try to be. It's human nature. The Caps lost handily to the Blues right after the Pens beat the Caps. I realize Minnesota sits in a wild card spot, but I don't understand how they're 3-0 against Winnipeg. For real old timers, I remember the pre-Mario terrible Pens teams that had the number of the Islander Cup teams.

Good examples might be the wins in Toronto and Washington this season. They tend to bring their A game against the better teams. Not always, but more often than not. Schedules are also fluid. Teams fall off, and teams improve. You just play them one at a time.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:49 am

I have seen/experienced the strange psychological trait of not playing as well vs weaker opponents. Let's hope this really gets the Pens ready for the post season.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:38 am

I left out that the team is 5-2 against all the teams currently leading the league, Washington, Tampa, and Winnipeg.

The concern with the lesser teams, right now, is that the Penguins are losing points they should be easily gaining, and with the East so tight, it could come back to bite them in the rear.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Malkintent on Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:02 pm

5-2? Didn't the Pens beat the Craps and Jets twice and lose their only game against the Bolts?
Malkintent
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Please help my dog https://www.gofundme.com/sumdm7d8

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:42 pm

The only schedule that would be bad for the Pens would be one loaded with last place teams. We are garbage against the losers. Everyone has pounded Chicago after they embarrassed us. We just lost to a really bad Kings team. Flyers and Sens seem to have our number. It's so bad it is almost funny.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:04 pm

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:The only schedule that would be bad for the Pens would be one loaded with last place teams. We are garbage against the losers. Everyone has pounded Chicago after they embarrassed us. We just lost to a really bad Kings team. Flyers and Sens seem to have our number. It's so bad it is almost funny.

Devils too. I remember going that game earlier in the season when the Devils beat the Pens 5-1 and thinking, "Man, the Devils are looking good this year." Then when I got home, I looked at the standings, and the Devils had only won once in 8 games or something into that drubbing of the Pens.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:35 am

It looks like it is going to be very tight this season. 12 years. The Penguins have made the playoffs for 12 straight years. Every year after Sid's rookie season. Every season that Geno has been in the NHL. The next closest streak is 6 by the Ducks and the Wild. Both the Ducks and Wild could miss this year. It is incredible what the Penguins have been able to do with Sid and Geno leading the way.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby longtimefan on Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:50 am

lemieuxReturns wrote:It looks like it is going to be very tight this season. 12 years. The Penguins have made the playoffs for 12 straight years. Every year after Sid's rookie season. Every season that Geno has been in the NHL. The next closest streak is 6 by the Ducks and the Wild. Both the Ducks and Wild could miss this year. It is incredible what the Penguins have been able to do with Sid and Geno leading the way.

You have to give a shout out about how they've been managed. The salary cap era started Sid's rookie season. The Wings are still paying for their heyday 10 years ago. They've got Franzen and Zetterber on IR. They traded the rights for Datsuyk for cap relief. The Hawks and Kings sit at the bottom of their conference. They've mangled the cap so badly that they are wasting great players like Kane, Toews, Kopitar, and Doughty. The only two contracts the Pens are on the hook for in 2023-24 are Crosby's and Malkin's.

The Pens spend to the cap every season, but they've managed to leave enough flexibility to stay out of cap hell. The Hawks theoretically have Kane and Toews to build another run around. But they've been trying to dig out. So are the Kings. And still the Wings. The Pens have Sid and Geno. They paid them and anointed them. Everything else they've done since has revolved around those two. They've managed the cap era brilliantly. Of course, anointing the right players makes it work a lot better. :)
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Southern Fan on Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:23 am

Back to backs worry me when the Pens play with DeSmith in net. Not sure if it’s him or the team but it has almost been a guaranteed loss. I think I counted 5 more this year.

Plus, not thrilled with the circus outdoor game against Philly.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Southern Fan on Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:17 am

Back to backs worry me when the Pens play with DeSmith in net. Not sure if it’s him or the team but it has almost been a guaranteed loss. I think I counted 5 more this year.

Plus, not thrilled with the circus outdoor game against Philly.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:17 am

The outdoor games need to end... but they won't because they are cash-cows.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:20 am

I don’t buy too much in on strength of schedule in the NHL where you can play up to 4 games in a week and face over a dozen different opponents in a month. This isn’t like the NFL where you have one game a week and face just about a dozen different team all year and some months just have three games.

Too many variables. Either this team will be good or they will be bad and really from the last decade the opponent has been completely irrelevant.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Maestro on Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:10 pm

eh, if you can't beat them now then when exactly ARE you going to beat them?

Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:20 am

Penguins currently out of playoffs. Tied with Columbus for last spot, but Columbus has two games in hand. Carolina a point ahead in 3rd Metro spot, Pottsburgh with one game in hand.

I dont think there is any move out there that will help this team. It is all on them. They have the talent. They are missing the desire. They put the gun to their head playing this way, with one of the toughest schedules remaining.

No more losing to the Rangers and the Devils and the Senators. The switch must be flipped NOW!!!
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Southern Fan on Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:08 am

5-4 losses to the two teams with the best records in the league in the past 8 days.

No one on their schedule should scare them ( though I’m not excited about the two Nashville games). Just need to clean up their own game. Imagine there are a bunch of bridge jumpers in Washington and Columbus as well.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:16 am

Southern Fan wrote:5-4 losses to the two teams with the best records in the league in the past 8 days.

No one on their schedule should scare them ( though I’m not excited about the two Nashville games). Just need to clean up their own game. Imagine there are a bunch of bridge jumpers in Washington and Columbus as well.

100% disagree. They are out of a playoff spot. EVERYONE on their schedule should scare them. EVERYONE. This team is lucky if they have played 5 games this season where the opponent matter.

The consistency and desire is not there.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:21 am

This game today will tell me a lot.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Southern Fan on Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:47 am

FLPensFan wrote:
Southern Fan wrote:5-4 losses to the two teams with the best records in the league in the past 8 days.

100% disagree. They are out of a playoff spot. EVERYONE on their schedule should scare them. EVERYONE. This team is lucky if they have played 5 games this season where the opponent matter.

The consistency and desire is not there.

Kind of agree with you to a point. They can beat every team or lose to every time they play. Wouldn’t play scared, but wouldn’t take anyone for granted either. Three games left with Columbus are huge.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ville5 on Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:50 am

Jim wrote:The outdoor games need to end... but they won't because they are cash-cows.

I don't even enjoy them from the comfort of my own couch.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby largegarlic on Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:58 am

thehockeyguru wrote:This game today will tell me a lot.

I agree. If they win today, you can frame it as winning 3 out of 4, with the only loss being to a pretty good Calgary team by 1 goal, and it seems like they could be headed in the right direction. If they lose, it'll look like they're stuck playing .500ish hockey, which probably isn't good enough to get them into the playoffs.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:14 pm

Strange how these things change. As of today, the Pens have the 14th toughest schedule remaining. Among the teams with tougher schedules:

Washington has the toughest.
Carolina the 3rd toughest.
The Jackets the 5th toughest.
The Habs the 9th toughest.
The Isles the 11th toughest.

All of a sudden, what appeared to be daunting is anything but. At least on paper.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:14 pm

longtimefan wrote:Strange how these things change. As of today, the Pens have the 14th toughest schedule remaining. Among the teams with tougher schedules:

Washington has the toughest.
Carolina the 3rd toughest.
The Jackets the 5th toughest.
The Habs the 9th toughest.
The Isles the 11th toughest.

All of a sudden, what appeared to be daunting is anything but. At least on paper.

Can't get too focused on schedules, IMO. We can life hard for the Bolts. And look feeble against the Kings. :?
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:46 am

Although the Caps beat the Devils, it was a good night off for the Pens. Canes got slammed 9-1 by the Jets, and the Ducks beat the Habs 8-2.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins