Penguins remaining schedule for 2019 a concern

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Penguins remaining schedule for 2019 a concern

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:30 am

TSN's Travis Yost had a breakdown of every teams remaining schedule for January, March, and April. And wouldn't you know it.....the Penguins have the toughest remaining schedule out of anyone in the East.

In January, Pittsburgh is shown to have the 2nd toughest schedule in the NHL (Florida has the toughest).
In February, Pittsbugh has the 6th toughest schedule. (STL toughest, CBJ and Isles have tougher schedules in the East)
In March, Pittsburgh again has the 2nd toughest schedule in the NHL (Washington has the toughest in March)

So, to summarize, PIT has 2nd, 6th, 2nd toughest schedule in Jan, Feb, Mar.

Their main competition, WSH, CBJ, NYI

WSH is 15th, 28th, and 1st in Jan, Feb, Mar. Washington should be cleaning up and remaining out in front into March
CBJ is 23rd, 5th, and 5th.
NYI are 31st, 4th, 21st.

Add in the fact that, the Penguins have gone 1-5-1 against LA, Chicago, Ottawa, and Philly (the 4 last place teams, courtesy of the Trib), and they are leaving "easy points" on the board.

https://www.tsn.ca/strength-of-schedule-and-its-impact-on-playoff-races-1.1241110
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Penguins remaining schedule for 2019 a concern

Postby Crashguy66 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:03 pm

I actually think the better competition brings out the best in them. I'm guilty of using that phrase "play to the level of the competition" but are there really any total crap teams in the NHL? It's all momentum and guys getting hot or, conversely, slumping. I always feel pretty confident in them when they play the "good" teams. This would be more of a concern if the situation were reversed. 1-5-1 against 1st place teams. Get the injured back and I like their chances going forward. The upcoming Tampa games will be a good test.
Crashguy66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:41 pm

Crashguy66 wrote:I actually think the better competition brings out the best in them. I'm guilty of using that phrase "play to the level of the competition" but are there really any total crap teams in the NHL? It's all momentum and guys getting hot or, conversely, slumping. I always feel pretty confident in them when they play the "good" teams. This would be more of a concern if the situation were reversed. 1-5-1 against 1st place teams. Get the injured back and I like their chances going forward. The upcoming Tampa games will be a good test.

I tend to agree. The regular season is so long, and it's hard to keep focused for a veteran team. No matter how professional you try to be. It's human nature. The Caps lost handily to the Blues right after the Pens beat the Caps. I realize Minnesota sits in a wild card spot, but I don't understand how they're 3-0 against Winnipeg. For real old timers, I remember the pre-Mario terrible Pens teams that had the number of the Islander Cup teams.

Good examples might be the wins in Toronto and Washington this season. They tend to bring their A game against the better teams. Not always, but more often than not. Schedules are also fluid. Teams fall off, and teams improve. You just play them one at a time.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:49 am

I have seen/experienced the strange psychological trait of not playing as well vs weaker opponents. Let's hope this really gets the Pens ready for the post season.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:38 am

I left out that the team is 5-2 against all the teams currently leading the league, Washington, Tampa, and Winnipeg.

The concern with the lesser teams, right now, is that the Penguins are losing points they should be easily gaining, and with the East so tight, it could come back to bite them in the rear.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Malkintent on Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:02 pm

5-2? Didn't the Pens beat the Craps and Jets twice and lose their only game against the Bolts?
Malkintent
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Please help my dog https://www.gofundme.com/sumdm7d8

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:42 pm

The only schedule that would be bad for the Pens would be one loaded with last place teams. We are garbage against the losers. Everyone has pounded Chicago after they embarrassed us. We just lost to a really bad Kings team. Flyers and Sens seem to have our number. It's so bad it is almost funny.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:04 pm

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:The only schedule that would be bad for the Pens would be one loaded with last place teams. We are garbage against the losers. Everyone has pounded Chicago after they embarrassed us. We just lost to a really bad Kings team. Flyers and Sens seem to have our number. It's so bad it is almost funny.

Devils too. I remember going that game earlier in the season when the Devils beat the Pens 5-1 and thinking, "Man, the Devils are looking good this year." Then when I got home, I looked at the standings, and the Devils had only won once in 8 games or something into that drubbing of the Pens.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins