Pens ink extension with DeSmith for 3yrs/1.25M

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Pens ink extension with DeSmith for 3yrs/1.25M

Postby Pens4Life on Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:59 am

Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Pens ink extension with DeSmith for 3yrs/1.25M

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:01 am

Fine with this. He's a steady enough backup.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Southern Fan on Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:57 am

We have our goalie available for the Seattle draft.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sigwolf on Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:38 am

Southern Fan wrote:We have our goalie available for the Seattle draft.

Unfortunately we already did. Jarry was already eligible, and signing DeSmith unfortunately does not change that. The way things stand now they will have two goalies exposed for the draft.
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby stonewizard51 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:18 am

IMHO then DeSmith is most likely gone and Jarry becomes the backup.
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:11 am

stonewizard51 wrote:IMHO then DeSmith is most likely gone and Jarry becomes the backup.

I think it is almost definitely the other way around. I think unless there is a big deal where someone demands Jarry this year, that Jarry will be moved over the summer.

Jarry is on a one-way deal next year. Not a huge issue, you pay him NHL salary in the minors.....except, Jarry is also out of waiver exemption next year, and there is zero chance the Penguins will be able to sneak him through waivers.

Murray is 24, almost 25, and is the Penguins goalie for likely the next 8-10 years. Jarry may still have the upside to be a starter, but he has kind of stalled in his development. The Penguins are better off moving him. They'll need to probably add another goalie to their system, but, they do have Alex D'Orio coming to WBS next season.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Hatrick on Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:11 pm

interesting, guess that means a good chance jarry ends up being moved? he cant be sent down next season so I expected them to let Desmith reach free agency and have a jarry/Murray tandem next season. And depending on how that went possibly determining who they would expose for seattle expansion draft. Of course jarry's progress has stalled and Desmith has performed better than expected so maybe that is what changed the plan.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Cow_Master66 on Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:21 am

Why is the belief that Jarry’s progress has stalled? He is doing fine this year, and I’d say better than last? Is that view based on the 2 games he played with the big club?

DeSmith’s improved play allowed them to keep Jarry down (almost) all season and play.
Cow_Master66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby murphydump55 on Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:19 am

Cow_Master66 wrote:Why is the belief that Jarry’s progress has stalled? He is doing fine this year, and I’d say better than last? Is that view based on the 2 games he played with the big club?

DeSmith’s improved play allowed them to keep Jarry down (almost) all season and play.

Jarry has had one good year in the AHL. 2.77 .910 this year isn’t showing signs of a guy that could make the jump, especially when his save % has been even lower than that too.

When he starts to show consistency in the AHL like Murray and DeSmith did, then maybe you could say he’s progressing, but yes as of now it’s stalled.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby Daniel on Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:40 am

murphydump55 wrote:
Cow_Master66 wrote:Why is the belief that Jarry’s progress has stalled? He is doing fine this year, and I’d say better than last? Is that view based on the 2 games he played with the big club?

Jarry has had one good year in the AHL. 2.77 .910 this year isn’t showing signs of a guy that could make the jump, especially when his save % has been even lower than that too.

When he starts to show consistency in the AHL like Murray and DeSmith did, then maybe you could say he’s progressing, but yes as of now it’s stalled.

I know he started off slowly, with his injury, do you know his save percentage and GAA per month? I imagine it's going down.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:04 pm

Daniel wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:

I know he started off slowly, with his injury, do you know his save percentage and GAA per month? I imagine it's going down.

Will be pretty difficult to find. AHL stats, other than theahl.com are pretty hard to find. Finding a site that will allow you to view AHL stats via a date range....not aware of one that exists.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby LimerickPensFan on Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:38 pm

According to a DK piece:

Jarry, 23, has a 2.80 goals-against average and .910 save percentage in Wilkes-Barre, both figures very much affected by porous defense in front of him, the result of multiple injuries on the blue line there. He was “our best goalie in training camp,” Rutherford told me, adding that Jarry’s waiver situation was the only reason he was sent out. Jarry didn’t have to clear NHL waivers to be demoted, but Murray and DeSmith would have and certainly would have been claimed by another team.

From here (pay site):
https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2019/01/10/casey-desmith-contract/
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby theblackarts on Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:15 pm

Seems like Desmith might be our best trade chip? Aside from draft picks or brassard.
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jim on Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:51 pm

It's a jump to conclusions board. You throw the puck and then jump to the conclusion.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby LimerickPensFan on Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:59 pm

Jim wrote:

It's a jump to conclusions board. You throw the puck and then jump to the conclusion.

You also have to desire to trade every good player on the team with the exceptions of Crosby and Malkin. After all. Some of them ARE over 30.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins