Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

Game 41 vs Jets - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 41 vs Jets - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:30 pm

Pens Win 4-0

- A quality win against a very good Jet's team. Pens are earning the bounces and this match up is currently favoring the Pens.
- Tons of bravery showed in the game last night as there were some big bodies being thrown at the Pens
- Loved seeing Sid thump Ehlers with a clean hit. Definitely had an impact on the game
- 11 straight goals from 11 different players streak was broken by Simon's glove in net goal. That camera angle was very useful
- Is there a streaky player who looks worse than Laine when there are not "hot"? He looked like the lumbering hulk out there.
- The haters must of hated this game. JJ, Murray, Maatta... they all played excellent. Who ya gonna hate on a streaking shutout win, am I right?
- Chicago on Sunday will be the game to bring out your mojo, juju, whatever! Hawks have just had the Pens number, Pens gotta bust that curse!
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Game 41 vs Jets - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Pruezy11881 on Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:45 pm

Every line appears to be gelling well, except for that third line. Get that fixed and the Pens are going to be very difficult to play against.
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:52 pm

That game was a strong candidate for best performance of the season by the Pens. It was a strong opponent, and the Pens controlled the game the whole way through (outside of maybe 5-10 minutes in the 2nd when Winnipeg was really pushing). Much more impressive than some of the other wins on this streak when they were beating up on teams comfortably out of the playoff.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pcmforless on Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:54 pm

And they keep rolling along. It has that feeling now like you just don't know when they are going to lose again (like spring of 2016). Hopefully they aren't peaking too early and can keep it rolling thru the spring. Lots of secondary scoring, good defensive play, all the things they were missing during the lean times. And it sounds like Justin Schultz is not real far away from returning. They way they are both playing right now would love to see Pens vs Vegas SCF, but there is a lot of hockey between here and there.
pcmforless
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby OKpensfan247 on Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:14 pm

- props to Mike Buckley. He is doing something right with our Goalies.
- love the effort right now. Everyone is playing responsibly and lots of blocked shots. Team is pulling in the same direction. Great job Sully.
- also love the chemistry growing between Geno and Simon.
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby OKpensfan247 on Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:16 pm

I love Hags, but he would not be scoring these goals that Simon is scoring right now on the 2nd line imo. 2nd line looked incredible last night.
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sirik71 on Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:31 pm

Many thanks to our Captain for this revival! At one point during this stretch he wasn't in the zone, he was the zone!
sirik71

Postby Southern Fan on Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:40 pm

Can only remember two dangerous shots on Murray. A really good high glove save and another that Pettersson partially deflected that hit the post. Good team back checking continues.

Break outs as a five man unit was not there the first 30 games. Now it is.

A lot of dump ins when there was no play as opposed to high risk plays near the blue line. Makes a difference.

Laine looked very pedestrian.

Goal cam review was huge.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:23 pm

OKpensfan247 wrote:- props to Mike Buckley. He is doing something right with our Goalies.
- love the effort right now. Everyone is playing responsibly and lots of blocked shots. Team is pulling in the same direction. Great job Sully.

It’s funny that maybe a month ago I read on here that the biggest mistake they made was was promoting Buckley. Things can change quickly.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby murphydump55 on Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:24 pm

Southern Fan wrote:Can only remember two dangerous shots on Murray. A really good high glove save and another that Pettersson partially deflected that hit the post. Good team back checking continues.

Break outs as a five man unit was not there the first 30 games. Now it is.

A lot of dump ins when there was no play as opposed to high risk plays near the blue line. Makes a difference.

Laine looked very pedestrian.

Goal cam review was huge.

False. Murray doesn’t make glove saves. Worst glove in the history of the league. Don’t believe me? Search on here lol.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Antonio on Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:33 pm

Yup. Patrick lalime...went 14-0-2 in his first sixteen games. Best goalie of all time apparently because a small stretch defines a player completely. No issues with Murray's glove.

Considering the entire team has actually played well (Murray included), that couldn't have anything to do with it.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby America on Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:43 pm

Listen I’m happy Murray is playing well right now - BUT - he has played like a bum the last 1.5 seasons. Saying things are fixed with goaltending using a small sample like this winning streak is irresponsible.
America
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:13 pm

Antonio wrote:Yup. Patrick lalime...went 14-0-2 in his first sixteen games. Best goalie of all time apparently because a small stretch defines a player completely. No issues with Murray's glove.

Considering the entire team has actually played well (Murray included), that couldn't have anything to do with it.

Didn’t say he was the best of all time. I just laughed because Murray doesn’t make glove saves according to many. Worst glove hand in the history of the league. Lol but last night he apparently made a good glove save.

Weird I know, but apparently injuries and off ice issues can affect your play. Who knew? Saw it with Letang too.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:06 pm

Hard to find any nits to pick at all. Good game against a good team, even without Buf and Ehlers.

Brassard's line not doing much is a constant theme, one thing that didn't suddenly go differently this game. It's fine if 3 out of 4 lines do well on any given night. It's just that Brassard's line has always been the odd one out.

- Murray was playing good. Hope it continues.
- Crosby, Guentzel, Dumoulin, Letang, all continuing their long stretch of good play. You can see the team come alive. Even Malkin seemed to come out of hibernation.
- Cullen yet lives. Fourth line was a menace, I particularly enjoyed ZAR's little move just before the 2-0.

On to next game.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:07 pm

8 games look at this team!
Strong performance by Murray.
I am sorry yo miss the salute to the 09 cup team tomorrow.
8pm is late start for working stiffs.
I hope Ruslan Fedatenko , Scuderi, TK, and Max make appearances.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hot Dog Vendor on Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:16 am

murphydump55 wrote:
Antonio wrote:Yup. Patrick lalime...went 14-0-2 in his first sixteen games. Best goalie of all time apparently because a small stretch defines a player completely. No issues with Murray's glove.

Didn’t say he was the best of all time. I just laughed because Murray doesn’t make glove saves according to many. Worst glove hand in the history of the league. Lol but last night he apparently made a good glove save.

Weird I know, but apparently injuries and off ice issues can affect your play. Who knew? Saw it with Letang too.

Your posturing here is funny, because it is the very same you who says in regard to Jack Johnson, "Even bad players make good plays sometimes".

Could it maybe be that Murray has a terrible glove hand, and simply happened to make a terrific one-off glove save?

Asking for a friend.
Hot Dog Vendor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel on Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:51 am

Hot Dog Vendor wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:

Your posturing here is funny, because it is the very same you who says in regard to Jack Johnson, "Even bad players make good plays sometimes".

Could it maybe be that Murray has a terrible glove hand, and simply happened to make a terrific one-off glove save?

Asking for a friend.

Did you watch the NBCSN broadcast the other day? Brian Boucher was talking about how Murray is more upright than in the past. Not saying his glove is any better, but perhaps by being more upright, the glove is in a better position and he doesn't have to rely on his poor reaction with the glove?
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:17 pm

Hot Dog Vendor wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:

Asking for a friend.

No because it wasn’t a one and done thing. He’s actually put up fantastic numbers since returning from injury.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby OKpensfan247 on Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:35 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
OKpensfan247 wrote:- props to Mike Buckley. He is doing something right with our Goalies.

It’s funny that maybe a month ago I read on here that the biggest mistake they made was was promoting Buckley. Things can change quickly.

Yes, very true.
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby OKpensfan247 on Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:42 pm

America wrote:Listen I’m happy Murray is playing well right now - BUT - he has played like a bum the last 1.5 seasons. Saying things are fixed with goaltending using a small sample like this winning streak is irresponsible.

Sorry if I am missing it... but I do not see the comment that “goaltending is now fixed”. However, I do believe the last 10-12 game performance of both of our goaltenders warrants compliment/credit to Buckley. He, and Murray, tinkered with Murray’s fundementals (posture, not going low into butterfly as quickly, staying taller), and it has worked. Murray has confidence again. That is a good positional coach doing his job.

I do agree sample size of last 1.5 years is concerning, but I applaud the work done recently to try to improve.

Desmith is streaky. It does not appear Buckley is stunting his growth as a goaltender as Desmith gets more NHL experience though.
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Cow_Master66 on Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:49 pm

Murray was fantastic for WBS and the Pens when he arrived as evidenced by winning 2 cups as a rookie.

People wanting to ship him put because his play slipped when his Dad died and he was riddled with injuries was silly.
Cow_Master66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby OKpensfan247 on Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:11 pm

Cow_Master66 wrote:Murray was fantastic for WBS and the Pens when he arrived as evidenced by winning 2 cups as a rookie.

People wanting to ship him put because his play slipped when his Dad died and he was riddled with injuries was silly.

For sure. The proneness to injury is the most frustrating/worrying part.

If Murray could stay healthy it is fair to assume we would have gotten much more consistent play out of him the last 1.5 years imo.
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:10 pm

Cow_Master66 wrote:Murray was fantastic for WBS and the Pens when he arrived as evidenced by winning 2 cups as a rookie.

I never worried about Murray last season, although a bit of doubt crept in at the beginning of this year. His track record is proven. Last season, and the beginning of this season, were the anomilies.

In 72 career AHL games, he had a 1.81 GAA, a .936 SV %, and 16 SO's

In his two season with the Pens, he had GAA's of 2.00 and 2.40, and SV %'s of .930 and .923.

In the Stanley Cup playoffs, he's had GAA's of 2.08 and 1.70, Sv %'s of .923 and .937.

He closed out the 2017 finals with back to back shutouts. He's given up a total of one goal in two Cup clinching games.

He lost his Dad last season, which is tough on a 24 year old kid without much warning. The biggest concern is he has been prone to injuries. Which may have led to him not disclosing the injury he had to start the season. He knows the talk, but doesn't help anybody if he's hurt. Since his return, he's been lights out.

One other thing people forget. Vasilevsky is the only younger #1 in the league, and that by only months. The team is getting old, but their goaltender is still a pup!
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Owchar76 on Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:01 pm

longtimefan wrote:

I never worried about Murray last season, although a bit of doubt crept in at the beginning of this year. His track record is proven. Last season, and the beginning of this season, were the anomilies.

In his two season with the Pens, he had GAA's of 2.00 and 2.40, and SV %'s of .930 and .923.

In the Stanley Cup playoffs, he's had GAA's of 2.08 and 1.70, Sv %'s of .923 and .937.

He closed out the 2017 finals with back to back shutouts. He's given up a total of one goal in two Cup clinching games.

He lost his Dad last season, which is tough on a 24 year old kid without much warning. The biggest concern is he has been prone to injuries. Which may have led to him not disclosing the injury he had to start the season. He knows the talk, but doesn't help anybody if he's hurt. Since his return, he's been lights out.

One other thing people forget. Vasilevsky is the only younger #1 in the league, and that by only months. The team is getting old, but their goaltender is still a pup!

This actually makes, sense? But to many he was just a terrible goaltender, or below average, or whatever they wanted to call him, and making whatever excuses for his good play, but never delving into why he could be struggling too. I don't think he can maintain these numbers, but what goaltender could? He'll regress back to his norm soon enough, but it's not the norm that the haters will have you believe.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:49 pm

Owchar76 wrote:
longtimefan wrote:

This actually makes, sense? But to many he was just a terrible goaltender, or below average, or whatever they wanted to call him, and making whatever excuses for his good play, but never delving into why he could be struggling too. I don't think he can maintain these numbers, but what goaltender could? He'll regress back to his norm soon enough, but it's not the norm that the haters will have you believe.

I've never felt he was a bad goaltender, but I also don't think he's one of the best, either. I don't believe he's as good as Fleury, which is why he disappoints me at times. I understand that due to financials and age considerations, Fleury was the one that had to go, but it always felt to me we were letting a better goaltender go to keep a lesser one.

The funny thing is, he played great when he came back from losing his father last year - along the lines of how he's playing now. It wasn't until after he suffered the concussion that his play seemed to drop off - which raises questions around if he was fully recovered, or if the recovery was emotionally difficult added onto the loss of his father.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins