Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:09 pm

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:
100565 wrote:Guentzel - Crosby - Hornquist
McCann - Malkin -ZAR
Blueger -Bjugstad- Kessel
Wilson - Cullen - Simon

I would like to see McCann with Geno. Also, Bjugstad and Kessel seemed to have some chemistry. If/when Rust returns, he would be 3LW or 2RW (moving ZAR to 3LW)

If you want to move ZAR off of Geno's wing, you haven't been watching any of the games since he joined him. ZAR is absolutely perfect for that line and Geno seems inspired by him. Get Kessel off that line, he does nothing but drag it down.

I agree, Kessel is starting to shoot more but when he and Malkin are together they try too many cute plays to try and pass the puck into the net. You gotta split Malkin and Kessel up.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:10 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
McCann - Malkin -ZAR
Wilson - Cullen - Simon

I would like to see McCann with Geno. Also, Bjugstad and Kessel seemed to have some chemistry. If/when Rust returns, he would be 3LW or 2RW (moving ZAR to 3LW)

If you want to move ZAR off of Geno's wing, you haven't been watching any of the games since he joined him. ZAR is absolutely perfect for that line and Geno seems inspired by him. Get Kessel off that line, he does nothing but drag it down.

I agree, Kessel is starting to shoot more but when he and Malkin are together they try too many cute plays to try and pass the puck into the net. You gotta split Malkin and Kessel up.

Sullivan needs to get the 2nd and 3rd lines going, ASAP. I liked McCann on the Crosby line, but.....Crosby has been pretty consistent with Jake all season. There hasn't been much struggle to create offense from that line no matter who the 2nd winger is.

On the flip side, I thought McCann-Bjugstad-Simon was actually generating a good amount of chances when they played together. Breaking that line up to add more to a line that was already working well....just, didn't seem like the right play.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:14 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
McCann - Malkin -ZAR
Wilson - Cullen - Simon

Sullivan needs to get the 2nd and 3rd lines going, ASAP. I liked McCann on the Crosby line, but.....Crosby has been pretty consistent with Jake all season. There hasn't been much struggle to create offense from that line no matter who the 2nd winger is.

On the flip side, I thought McCann-Bjugstad-Simon was actually generating a good amount of chances when they played together. Breaking that line up to add more to a line that was already working well....just, didn't seem like the right play.

I'd give McCann Bjugstad Kessel some run
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Antonio on Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:31 pm

"some run" for Sullivan is 2 minutes.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:59 pm

Mike Lange mentioned on Madden's show today that he sees Blueger as a valuable piece for the organization and that they do as well. He said he wouldn't be surprised to see him slot into the 3C role as soon as next season, and then mentioned how he would enjoy seeing a McCann-Blueger-Bjugstad third line. Can't say I disagree. That's a line that could have a nice flow to it.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:00 pm

Antonio wrote:"some run" for most coaches is 2 minutes.

Fixed it for you.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:45 pm

Defence21 wrote:
Antonio wrote:"some run" for most coaches is 2 minutes.

Fixed it for you.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hatrick on Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:14 pm

Defence21 wrote:Mike Lange mentioned on Madden's show today that he sees Blueger as a valuable piece for the organization and that they do as well. He said he wouldn't be surprised to see him slot into the 3C role as soon as next season, and then mentioned how he would enjoy seeing a McCann-Blueger-Bjugstad third line. Can't say I disagree. That's a line that could have a nice flow to it.

interesting having three centers on the same line. That is what would surprise me more than Blueger being the 3c. Guess they would have to sign a league minimum center to play 4c if they did that.
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:18 pm

Defence21 wrote:Mike Lange mentioned on Madden's show today that he sees Blueger as a valuable piece for the organization and that they do as well. He said he wouldn't be surprised to see him slot into the 3C role as soon as next season, and then mentioned how he would enjoy seeing a McCann-Blueger-Bjugstad third line. Can't say I disagree. That's a line that could have a nice flow to it.

Has Lange ever bad mouthed a Penguin? Frankly, has Lange ever not gushed over a Penguin? Lange is the ultimate used car salesman when it comes to Penguin players.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Puck-Lurker on Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:45 am

Jim wrote:

Has Lange ever bad mouthed a Penguin? Frankly, has Lange ever not gushed over a Penguin? Lange is the ultimate used car salesman when it comes to Penguin players.

Agreed. I wouldn't look too much into these things. Certain folks in media are your typical colour guys, always positive about the Pens. Whereas others, certainly on forums (me included) can be too negative.

Yeah Blueger looks like a nice cheap piece for the here and short term future. He's not the next Guentzel, but maybe something along the lines of Rust and Simon. For those last two we will have to wait and see what they're worth down the line. No telling.

I like the McCann addition. Bjugstad... Just no idea. He might click, looked to for a brief moment with Kessel, a lot of meh since. Could prove to be Brassard spelt differently.

That line Lange mentions though, no idea where the other players fit. Typical fantasizing
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:10 am

Puck-Lurker wrote:
Jim wrote:

Agreed. I wouldn't look too much into these things. Certain folks in media are your typical colour guys, always positive about the Pens. Whereas others, certainly on forums (me included) can be too negative.

Yeah Blueger looks like a nice cheap piece for the here and short term future. He's not the next Guentzel, but maybe something along the lines of Rust and Simon. For those last two we will have to wait and see what they're worth down the line. No telling.

I like the McCann addition. Bjugstad... Just no idea. He might click, looked to for a brief moment with Kessel, a lot of meh since. Could prove to be Brassard spelt differently.

That line Lange mentions though, no idea where the other players fit. Typical fantasizing

Mike Lange is from another era. For many years, there was very little television. He worked the radio alone. And got people interested. It was the way at the time. Being a homer wasn't a criticism. It was more the norm. People who remember Bob Prince know what I'm talking about. The voice of the team was it's biggest fan.

As far as the players, there's at least a group that shows some promise to fill out the bottom of the roster. I don't believe the McCann addition can be overstated. Overall, he's been very good. And versatile. He alone is a better fit for this team than either Sheahan or Brassard ever were. I still believe he's the likely 3C eventually..... In terms of Bjugstad, he'll never be another Brassard. He can play two positions, and has a physical presence. He isn't a tough guy, but he uses his body pretty well for body position. They have to figure out where he fits best. He's that guy who you will probably always want more from, and end up overlooking what you have. He could end up being a very competent 3C, or he could end up on any of the tops 3 lines at RW.... Both of these guys want to fit in. For whatever reason, Brassard just couldn't find a niche.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:53 am

The Pens PP is clicking at a 36.4 percent clip in the last 10 games, best in the league since 2/10.

No coincidence that it improves with Schultz back in the lineup, and now getting top PP duty.

This team looks so much better with 3 balanced pairings and Schultz leading the PP.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:57 am

thehockeyguru wrote:The Pens PP is clicking at a 36.4 percent clip in the last 10 games, best in the league since 2/10.

No coincidence that it improves with Schultz back in the lineup, and now getting top PP duty.

This team looks so much better with 3 balanced pairings and Schultz leading the PP.

Helps not having Letang hit the guy standing in front of him with the puck.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:16 am

Jim wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:The Pens PP is clicking at a 36.4 percent clip in the last 10 games, best in the league since 2/10.

Helps not having Letang hit the guy standing in front of him with the puck.

I think it boils down to 2 things

-Zone entry has been much better with Schultz
-Schultz has a much better shot forcing teams to respect that opening up more passing lanes through the slot
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dark_forces on Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:58 am

I wish that ZAR and Blueger would choose new uniform numbers. More veteran like numbers. Maybe ZAR could be #16 and Blueger #13, or something like that.
dark_forces
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby theblackarts on Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:23 pm

If you've ever met or seen Lange in person, it's clear that he's straight up in awe of the game and the players that play the game. His enthusiasm for the home town team stems from a legitimate love for the city and what the penguins mean to him. When I watched him introduce Mario at the CEC groundbreaking he almost cried out of pride and wonder. He's a treasure to the game and to the city; I don't think calling him a homer is an accurate way to describe his gushing.
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Cow_Master66 on Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:26 pm

dark_forces wrote:I wish that ZAR and Blueger would choose new uniform numbers. More veteran like numbers. Maybe ZAR could be #16 and Blueger #13, or something like that.

Why?
Cow_Master66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby thehockeyguru on Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:47 am

Malkintent wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:What are everyone's thoughts on how the Pens D has looked without Dumoulin and Letang?

Looking at the style of play it reminds me a lot of how they played when the lost Letang a couple of seasons ago. They dont seem to activate quite as much in the offensive zone and have played well in front of Murray boxing out and winning puck battles.

Schultz IMO makes the PP look better than with Letang in the lineup.

I really think this team defensively is better without Letang. If they can sub in Dumoulin for Trotman I really like how the d pairings would shake out.

Come this offseason if the Pens decided they wanted to trade Letang, Kessel and Maatta I think they could reshape this team for the better and make it a real juggernaut for the last few years of the Crosby Malkin era.

It's been 2 games. What is the fascination with trading Letang? He's been by far the Pen's best dman this year and team MVP after Crosby and people still want to trade him. Yes, he's expensive but trading one of two dmen who have actually played well this year makes no sense.

Pens are now 4-0-1 without Letang since the outdoor game. Like I've been saying all along, trade Letang for a stay at home defenseman who can play top 4 and PK. The team will be MUCH better off.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel on Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:57 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
Malkintent wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:What are everyone's thoughts on how the Pens D has looked without Dumoulin and Letang?

Looking at the style of play it reminds me a lot of how they played when the lost Letang a couple of seasons ago. They dont seem to activate quite as much in the offensive zone and have played well in front of Murray boxing out and winning puck battles.

I really think this team defensively is better without Letang. If they can sub in Dumoulin for Trotman I really like how the d pairings would shake out.

Come this offseason if the Pens decided they wanted to trade Letang, Kessel and Maatta I think they could reshape this team for the better and make it a real juggernaut for the last few years of the Crosby Malkin era.

It's been 2 games. What is the fascination with trading Letang? He's been by far the Pen's best dman this year and team MVP after Crosby and people still want to trade him. Yes, he's expensive but trading one of two dmen who have actually played well this year makes no sense.

Pens are now 4-0-1 without Letang since the outdoor game. Like I've been saying all along, trade Letang for a stay at home defenseman who can play top 4 and PK. The team will be MUCH better off.

The way Letang has played this year, do you think playing this well without him is sustainable over 100 games +? I was with you on the trade Letang thing until this year. It seems like he gets it He'll make the dumb mistakes, but that is normal for the style he plays, but overall I think he's had his best overall season to date.
Last edited by Daniel on Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:10 am

Daniel wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
Malkintent wrote:

The way Letang has played this year, do you think is sustainable over 100 games +? I was with you on the trade Letang thing until this year. It seems like he gets it He'll make the dumb mistakes, but that is normal for the style he plays, but overall I think he's had his best overall season to date.

My stance was always that this team plays better without Letang. When fans wrote the Pens off when he got injured all the team did was win a 2nd Cup. This isnt just a 5 game sample you have almost a half a season / cup run of winning to go off of.

All the talk was about how the team would be even better after with Letang. It never materialized that way. We lost smart, defensively responsible players in Daley, Cole, and Hainsey yet never replaced them. We are getting back to that mold though this season in Petterssen and Gudbranson, I really like both moves.

I really like what I see from Gudbranson, him putting Jenner on his backside in front of the net is what you need in the playoffs. You need to own the paint and the Pens got softer around the net adding Letang back in.

This team has so much offensive fire power they are going to get their goals, if they can lock it down defensively too they are really really tough to beat in a 7 game series.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel on Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:18 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
Daniel wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
Malkintent wrote:

The way Letang has played this year, do you think is sustainable over 100 games +? I was with you on the trade Letang thing until this year. It seems like he gets it He'll make the dumb mistakes, but that is normal for the style he plays, but overall I think he's had his best overall season to date.

My stance was always that this team plays better without Letang. When fans wrote the Pens off when he got injured all the team did was win a 2nd Cup. This isnt just a 5 game sample you have almost a half a season / cup run of winning to go off of.

All the talk was about how the team would be even better after with Letang. It never materialized that way. We lost smart, defensively responsible players in Daley, Cole, and Hainsey yet never replaced them.

I really like what I see from Gudbranson, him putting Jenner on his backside in front of the net is what you need in the playoffs. You need to own the paint and the Pens got softer around the net adding Letang back in.

This team has so much offensive fire power they are going to get their goals, if they can lock it down defensively too they are really really tough to beat in a 7 game series.

Heck, him Maatta, and Kessel have about $20M in cap space. As much as I like Maatta, I think he's replaceable in house and the cap savings from Letang/Kessel could add some nice assets. Not sure that I'd want to do that, but it could certainly inject a different dynamic within the team.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby nastystang05 on Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:35 am

Jim wrote:

He had some Stern criticism for Malkin when he swung that stick at the Philly game. It was on the Madden show.
nastystang05
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:21 pm

What will the bottom pairing look like for the Pens next season?

Can we all agree that the top 4 is likely Letang, Dumoulin, JJ, and Schultz?

That leaves Gudbranson, Maatta, Petterssen and Riikola to fight for two spots.

Gudbranson has stepped in and has provided an element this team has needed . Petterssen and Riikola should be on the roster simply because of what they provide relative to their salary. So that leaves Maatta as the odd man out for me.

Would you trade Maatta this offseason and if so, what is a potential return?
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:51 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:What will the bottom pairing look like for the Pens next season?

Gudbranson has stepped in and has provided an element this team has needed . Petterssen and Riikola should be on the roster simply because of what they provide relative to their salary. So that leaves Maatta as the odd man out for me.

You have to look at what player will a team give you something for.... looking at the 4 you mentioned, I would think Maatta is on top of that list. Now look at the players of the 4 that no team will give you anything for, I think Gudbranson is on the top of that list. That leaves you with the question, doe the Penguins keep Petterssen or Rikola?
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby longtimefan on Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:52 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:What will the bottom pairing look like for the Pens next season?

I tend to agree that Olli is the likely odd man out. Because of his cap hit, and the fact he'll bring the most value in return. In terms of that value, there was talk he'd be used to bring in a 3C. They may not be looking at that now, but it gives an idea of his perceived value.

Everything is predicated on how the rest of this season plays out, but something to keep an eye on is Schultz. He has obvious value, but he's also going to be on an expiring $5.5M contract. They may try to extend him, but it's also possible they try to bring in someone younger and less expensive. They don't have the right replacement, but might be able to get somebody with the lure of Maatta, Schultz, Jarry, and even our 1st for the right situation.... It's just a thought. JR moves a lot of expiring contracts for term.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins