Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby pens_CT on Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:53 am

FLPensFan wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:
NJ5934 wrote:I'm probably in the minority here but a Tom Wilson type is exactly what i think this team needs. Not just for the the reminder of this season.


Every team in the league is looking for a Tom Wilson type. There are about 3 of them in the league.

He would be a great add, no doubt, but, I'm not sure this team should be getting into what seems like a large bidding for him, being that he is a UFA.

Also, forget about the cost to acquire for a minute, and also realize that if the Penguins do acquire Ferland, it likely means Simon is moved or out of a job. Ferland is getting 2-3 minutes more than Simon a night. He is not a 4th line guy. He has twice as many goals as Simon does. Ferland needs 2nd or 3rd line minutes. You'd likely be looking at:

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Pearson-Malkin-Hornqvist
Ferland-3C-Kessel
Sheahan-Cullen-ZAR

Longer term, if you want to resign him, he had 21 goals and 41 points last season, and is on pace for 26 goals and 50 points this season. That's a 4M player in today's NHL. If his services are in demand, he might be able to get that 5M plus he is looking for. That isn't going to fit under Penguins cap structure.

But, Ferland is a solid, tough competitor who can produce points (Reaves says, ahem...). He also has never been suspended by the NHL.


I think ideally you would like to see what you have in ZAR before you make a trade for Ferland. However with him probably out for a month with a broken hand, that's not going to happen. I think being able to extend Ferland would require moving some money on defense, and since the guy we would like to move but isn't movable, you are probably going to move Maatta at a minimum to make this work.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,956
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:57 am

Kingerski (Pittsburgh Eklund #2) says multiple sources are saying the Penguins have moved on from "could" deal to Brassard to actively trying to move him. His minutes have dropped to around 12 minutes the last 2 games.

Kingerski says it may be tough though, because of his poor play this season and because there appear to be many more sellers than buyers this year. Says Colorado and Winnipeg both had interest in Brassard last year and the early part of this season, but Kingerski has not been able to verify continued interest from either team.

Kingerski also says he things the buyers market will keep Carolina from getting their current ask of 1st and prospect for Ferland. Not so sure about that, as, there aren't many Ferland types on the market.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,345
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:18 am

pens_CT wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:
NJ5934 wrote:I'm probably in the minority here but a Tom Wilson type is exactly what i think this team needs. Not just for the the reminder of this season.


Every team in the league is looking for a Tom Wilson type. There are about 3 of them in the league.

He would be a great add, no doubt, but, I'm not sure this team should be getting into what seems like a large bidding for him, being that he is a UFA.

Also, forget about the cost to acquire for a minute, and also realize that if the Penguins do acquire Ferland, it likely means Simon is moved or out of a job. Ferland is getting 2-3 minutes more than Simon a night. He is not a 4th line guy. He has twice as many goals as Simon does. Ferland needs 2nd or 3rd line minutes. You'd likely be looking at:

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Pearson-Malkin-Hornqvist
Ferland-3C-Kessel
Sheahan-Cullen-ZAR

Longer term, if you want to resign him, he had 21 goals and 41 points last season, and is on pace for 26 goals and 50 points this season. That's a 4M player in today's NHL. If his services are in demand, he might be able to get that 5M plus he is looking for. That isn't going to fit under Penguins cap structure.

But, Ferland is a solid, tough competitor who can produce points (Reaves says, ahem...). He also has never been suspended by the NHL.


I think ideally you would like to see what you have in ZAR before you make a trade for Ferland. However with him probably out for a month with a broken hand, that's not going to happen. I think being able to extend Ferland would require moving some money on defense, and since the guy we would like to move but isn't movable, you are probably going to move Maatta at a minimum to make this work.

I don't think ZAR is in the Wilson/Ferland conversation. ZAR is tough and scrappy, and sure, he can drop the gloves, but, he's not a "heavyweight."

I'm still under the impression that we are going to here a lot more Kessel trade rumors this summer.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,345
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:19 am

Dammit Anaheim!!!!!!

Ducks just acquired Devin Shore from Dallas for Andrew Cogliano. Scratch one possible 3C off the list, and one I would have liked.....even though he's playing more wing this year because Dallas has 37 centers on its roster.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,345
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby Ohio_Pens_fan on Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:33 am

FLPensFan wrote:Dammit Anaheim!!!!!!

Ducks just acquired Devin Shore from Dallas for Andrew Cogliano. Scratch one possible 3C off the list, and one I would have liked.....even though he's playing more wing this year because Dallas has 37 centers on its roster.


Hey FLPF,

Of the list of Coyle, Tierney, Bennett, Faksa, Kerfoot, & Danault, do the Pens stand any real chance of acquiring one of them? Actually, I don't think any of their current teams would want to deal them.
Ohio_Pens_fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:01 pm
Location: central Illinois (at present)

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:45 am

Ohio_Pens_fan wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Dammit Anaheim!!!!!!

Ducks just acquired Devin Shore from Dallas for Andrew Cogliano. Scratch one possible 3C off the list, and one I would have liked.....even though he's playing more wing this year because Dallas has 37 centers on its roster.


Hey FLPF,

Of the list of Coyle, Tierney, Bennett, Faksa, Kerfoot, & Danault, do the Pens stand any real chance of acquiring one of them? Actually, I don't think any of their current teams would want to deal them.

Coyle has been in trade rumors for 2 years (as has Niederreiter). Wild are clinging to last Wild Card spot in the West. Out of anyone on this list, I would say Coyle is the most available.

Faksa (especially with Shore trade), Bennett, and Danault are probably the least likely to move. No rumors on any of them moving. You'd likely have to overpay to pry any of them away from their teams.

Tierney and Kerfoot......Who knows what Ottawa is doing. They may feel the need to hang onto Tierney if both Duchene and Stone decide not to resign. But, I also feel like Ottawa is open for business and would trade just about anyone not named Thomas Chabot. I'd offer something like a 2nd/3rd and maybe Jordy Bellerive and see if they bite.

Kerfoot.....hasn't been rumored to be on the move either, but, Colorado is looking for some scoring from lines other than the top line. The team is very, very young. Soderberg, Erik Johnson, and Varlamov are the only 3 players 30 and above on that team. Soderberg has been having a career year as the 2C, but, he's 33, and they haven't gotten much out of 3rd and 4th lines. Kerfoot, Compher, Jost can all play center, but are rotating in at center (Kerfoot currently the 3C). They reportedly had interest in Brassard. I'd try something like Brassard and a pick for Kerfoot. Kerfoot may not be someone they are actively looking to move, but, if they want to make a playoff run, they may need some more experience.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,345
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby pens_CT on Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:49 am

FLPensFan wrote:Dammit Anaheim!!!!!!

Ducks just acquired Devin Shore from Dallas for Andrew Cogliano. Scratch one possible 3C off the list, and one I would have liked.....even though he's playing more wing this year because Dallas has 37 centers on its roster.


I'm really not sure why Dallas made this trade. You get the more expensive guy who is like seven years older, and is no more productive than the guy you gave up.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,956
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:57 am

What is everyones thoughts on the below trade ideas:

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/981783
Pensfan4life8771
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 347
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:02 am

pens_CT wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Dammit Anaheim!!!!!!

Ducks just acquired Devin Shore from Dallas for Andrew Cogliano. Scratch one possible 3C off the list, and one I would have liked.....even though he's playing more wing this year because Dallas has 37 centers on its roster.


I'm really not sure why Dallas made this trade. You get the more expensive guy who is like seven years older, and is no more productive than the guy you gave up.

"In acquiring Andrew, we are able to add a conscientious player who brings a veteran-presence to our room," said Nill. "His explosive speed, 200-foot game and iron-man mentality will help our team both on and off the ice."

Stars are an absolute mess right now. My guess is they thought maybe Shore's effort wasn't there. I dunno. Saw an interview with the coach over the weekend where, he basically seemed like he had no idea what else to do. Here it is:

https://www.nhl.com/stars/video/dal-vs-stl-jim-montgomery/t-277437402/c-64886403
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,345
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:04 am

Pensfan4life8771 wrote:What is everyones thoughts on the below trade ideas:

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/981783


Here is my explanation of trades:


I think with the Pens now signing Desmith to 3yr ext. you have to trade Jarry due to the one way contract next year. So each trade complements the other.

Trade one gives you more grit and winger depth with Ferhland which this trade is now possible due to being able to add Jarry to the trade.
Trade two rids you of Derrick Brassard who is a good player but just hasn't clicked in Pitt. (It happens). So with Brassard you make up for losing Oleksiak in the Ferhland trade and Maatta in the Coyle deal.
Trade three is the big one which replaces Brassard and adds a bit more grit/dynamic to your third line.

I'm not sure if these are the exact teams that will be involved but I would suspect GMJR will look to trade what he has a lot of (D Men) for a more solid center depth. I also think though with the excess goalie depth now he can make up for trading some D depth for another lesser expensive D. It'll be interesting.
Pensfan4life8771
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 347
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:08 am

FLPensFan wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Dammit Anaheim!!!!!!

Ducks just acquired Devin Shore from Dallas for Andrew Cogliano. Scratch one possible 3C off the list, and one I would have liked.....even though he's playing more wing this year because Dallas has 37 centers on its roster.


I'm really not sure why Dallas made this trade. You get the more expensive guy who is like seven years older, and is no more productive than the guy you gave up.

"In acquiring Andrew, we are able to add a conscientious player who brings a veteran-presence to our room," said Nill. "His explosive speed, 200-foot game and iron-man mentality will help our team both on and off the ice."

Stars are an absolute mess right now. My guess is they thought maybe Shore's effort wasn't there. I dunno. Saw an interview with the coach over the weekend where, he basically seemed like he had no idea what else to do. Here it is:

https://www.nhl.com/stars/video/dal-vs-stl-jim-montgomery/t-277437402/c-64886403



The stars are a mess. You have your owner come out and publically put down his two stars in Seguin and Benn alone doesn't set a good tone for the room. Yes I get it they are your superstars but no player(s) want to be called out publicly. I'm pretty sure Seguin and Benn are aware of their lack of success this season. I also saw that interview with coach in his presser. He looks like a coach who has completely lost the room. Whether its trickle down from owner comments or just some toxic relationship between players/coach (even though I read Seguin likes the new coach. Either way I view the Cogliono deal as GM thinking we need more veteran presence and traded Shore since he was a younger asset. So sounds like room lacks a veteran leadership and direction. My guess is if Dallas continues to fall even after Cog acquisition they will sell off one of Seguin/Benn or someone.
Pensfan4life8771
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 347
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby ville5 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:31 am

FLPensFan wrote:Kingerski (Pittsburgh Eklund #2) says multiple sources are saying the Penguins have moved on from "could" deal to Brassard to actively trying to move him. His minutes have dropped to around 12 minutes the last 2 games.

Kingerski says it may be tough though, because of his poor play this season and because there appear to be many more sellers than buyers this year. Says Colorado and Winnipeg both had interest in Brassard last year and the early part of this season, but Kingerski has not been able to verify continued interest from either team.

Kingerski also says he things the buyers market will keep Carolina from getting their current ask of 1st and prospect for Ferland. Not so sure about that, as, there aren't many Ferland types on the market.

I wouldn't totally dismiss his site. Shelly Anderson has been around the Penguins a long time.
What happened to Gatka?
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 7,239
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:17 pm
Location: getting body slammed by kelly kelly

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:40 am

ville5 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Kingerski (Pittsburgh Eklund #2) says multiple sources are saying the Penguins have moved on from "could" deal to Brassard to actively trying to move him. His minutes have dropped to around 12 minutes the last 2 games.

Kingerski says it may be tough though, because of his poor play this season and because there appear to be many more sellers than buyers this year. Says Colorado and Winnipeg both had interest in Brassard last year and the early part of this season, but Kingerski has not been able to verify continued interest from either team.

Kingerski also says he things the buyers market will keep Carolina from getting their current ask of 1st and prospect for Ferland. Not so sure about that, as, there aren't many Ferland types on the market.

I wouldn't totally dismiss his site. Shelly Anderson has been around the Penguins a long time.
What happened to Gatka?

I've been a fan of Shelly's for a long time. Kingerski just goes a bit fanboy too often. Gajtka left to pursue other interest. He started some type of "good sumaritan" type company/website, and is doing RMU hockey announcing.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,345
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby pens_CT on Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:38 pm

Pensfan4life8771 wrote:
Pensfan4life8771 wrote:What is everyones thoughts on the below trade ideas:

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/981783


Here is my explanation of trades:


I think with the Pens now signing Desmith to 3yr ext. you have to trade Jarry due to the one way contract next year. So each trade complements the other.

Trade one gives you more grit and winger depth with Ferhland which this trade is now possible due to being able to add Jarry to the trade.
Trade two rids you of Derrick Brassard who is a good player but just hasn't clicked in Pitt. (It happens). So with Brassard you make up for losing Oleksiak in the Ferhland trade and Maatta in the Coyle deal.
Trade three is the big one which replaces Brassard and adds a bit more grit/dynamic to your third line.

I'm not sure if these are the exact teams that will be involved but I would suspect GMJR will look to trade what he has a lot of (D Men) for a more solid center depth. I also think though with the excess goalie depth now he can make up for trading some D depth for another lesser expensive D. It'll be interesting.



I doubt Carolina has any use for Oleksiak, they would probably want a pick & and forward prospect. I have no idea what the trade market is for Brassard, he has been so terrible here, I'm sure it will effect his trade value. If they can dump his cap hit, and obtain a pick (maybe 2nd round) that could be used in another deal. I don't see the Pens moving Maatta during the season. They obviously will have too many defensemen once Schultz returns (assuming no major injuries) and somebody has to go,but I don't see it being Maatta.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,956
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:41 pm

Interesting moves by Dallas / Anaheim in the Shore for Cogliano deal. I mention it because Shore's name has been mentioned in this thread. Not sure Dallas is getting better with this trade.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,800
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby NJ5934 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:19 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:
NJ5934 wrote:I'm probably in the minority here but a Tom Wilson type is exactly what i think this team needs. Not just for the the reminder of this season.


Every team in the league is looking for a Tom Wilson type. There are about 3 of them in the league.


I would agree evey clubs "wants" a Tom Wilson, but i think we are in far a different situation. We legitimately have a slowly closing window, and we could be a much deeper, much grittier, much more resilient and dangerous team with a Michael Ferland floating thru our top three lines.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,064
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:33 pm
Location: Toms River, NJ

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby State College Penguin on Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:55 pm

Pensfan4life8771 wrote:
Pensfan4life8771 wrote:What is everyones thoughts on the below trade ideas:

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/981783


Here is my explanation of trades:


I think with the Pens now signing Desmith to 3yr ext. you have to trade Jarry due to the one way contract next year. So each trade complements the other.

Trade one gives you more grit and winger depth with Ferhland which this trade is now possible due to being able to add Jarry to the trade.
Trade two rids you of Derrick Brassard who is a good player but just hasn't clicked in Pitt. (It happens). So with Brassard you make up for losing Oleksiak in the Ferhland trade and Maatta in the Coyle deal.
Trade three is the big one which replaces Brassard and adds a bit more grit/dynamic to your third line.

I'm not sure if these are the exact teams that will be involved but I would suspect GMJR will look to trade what he has a lot of (D Men) for a more solid center depth. I also think though with the excess goalie depth now he can make up for trading some D depth for another lesser expensive D. It'll be interesting.


I don't like giving up that much for a rental. Jarry is a piece that has value. I get nervous relative to Jarry on the trade block when you consider Murray has fragility issues. Since that horrid deal with Ottawa for Brassard, we have NO ONE WORTH A CRAP after Jarry as an option.
State College Penguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:37 pm

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby pens_CT on Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:29 pm

State College Penguin wrote:
Pensfan4life8771 wrote:
Pensfan4life8771 wrote:What is everyones thoughts on the below trade ideas:

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/981783


Here is my explanation of trades:


I think with the Pens now signing Desmith to 3yr ext. you have to trade Jarry due to the one way contract next year. So each trade complements the other.

Trade one gives you more grit and winger depth with Ferhland which this trade is now possible due to being able to add Jarry to the trade.
Trade two rids you of Derrick Brassard who is a good player but just hasn't clicked in Pitt. (It happens). So with Brassard you make up for losing Oleksiak in the Ferhland trade and Maatta in the Coyle deal.
Trade three is the big one which replaces Brassard and adds a bit more grit/dynamic to your third line.

I'm not sure if these are the exact teams that will be involved but I would suspect GMJR will look to trade what he has a lot of (D Men) for a more solid center depth. I also think though with the excess goalie depth now he can make up for trading some D depth for another lesser expensive D. It'll be interesting.


I don't like giving up that much for a rental. Jarry is a piece that has value. I get nervous relative to Jarry on the trade block when you consider Murray has fragility issues. Since that horrid deal with Ottawa for Brassard, we have NO ONE WORTH A CRAP after Jarry as an option.


I'm not a huge fan of trading Jarry during the season based on Murray's injury history, however it would depend on who are getting as part of the trade. Jarry has to either be on the NHL roster next season, or he has to go through waivers and of course he would be claimed. They obviously will not carry three goalies on the roster next year, so maybe the time to move him might be now. I don't see the Brassard trade as horrid, obviously he hasn't worked out here. They gave up a first round pick who wasn't going to make an impact on this roster for probably three years if at all, Cole who wasn't going to sign here, and Gustavsson who has a 3.48 GAA/0.886 Save percentage in the AHL. He might turn into a NHL goalie at some point but that's far from a sure bet. He certainly isn't lighting it up in the AHL at this stage.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,956
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:56 pm

pens_CT wrote:
State College Penguin wrote:
Pensfan4life8771 wrote:
Pensfan4life8771 wrote:What is everyones thoughts on the below trade ideas:

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/981783


Here is my explanation of trades:


I think with the Pens now signing Desmith to 3yr ext. you have to trade Jarry due to the one way contract next year. So each trade complements the other.

Trade one gives you more grit and winger depth with Ferhland which this trade is now possible due to being able to add Jarry to the trade.
Trade two rids you of Derrick Brassard who is a good player but just hasn't clicked in Pitt. (It happens). So with Brassard you make up for losing Oleksiak in the Ferhland trade and Maatta in the Coyle deal.
Trade three is the big one which replaces Brassard and adds a bit more grit/dynamic to your third line.

I'm not sure if these are the exact teams that will be involved but I would suspect GMJR will look to trade what he has a lot of (D Men) for a more solid center depth. I also think though with the excess goalie depth now he can make up for trading some D depth for another lesser expensive D. It'll be interesting.


I don't like giving up that much for a rental. Jarry is a piece that has value. I get nervous relative to Jarry on the trade block when you consider Murray has fragility issues. Since that horrid deal with Ottawa for Brassard, we have NO ONE WORTH A CRAP after Jarry as an option.


I'm not a huge fan of trading Jarry during the season based on Murray's injury history, however it would depend on who are getting as part of the trade. Jarry has to either be on the NHL roster next season, or he has to go through waivers and of course he would be claimed. They obviously will not carry three goalies on the roster next year, so maybe the time to move him might be now. I don't see the Brassard trade as horrid, obviously he hasn't worked out here. They gave up a first round pick who wasn't going to make an impact on this roster for probably three years if at all, Cole who wasn't going to sign here, and Gustavsson who has a 3.48 GAA/0.886 Save percentage in the AHL. He might turn into a NHL goalie at some point but that's far from a sure bet. He certainly isn't lighting it up in the AHL at this stage.

Penguins will also have Alex D'Orio in WBS next season, who probably has more upside than anyone else besides Jarry they have down their now.

I'd prefer to hold off on trading Jarry until the summer so the Penguins have a 3rd option if needed.....unless they could pickup someone else this year for WBS with some NHL experience.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,345
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby longtimefan on Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:23 pm

The deadline is still six weeks away, and rumors tend to follow the standings. But a lot of the names I'm seeing floated were put out there when their teams were struggling. I've watched the Hurricanes a bit recently, and they've climbed into the race. They're a team with a new owner who wanted to make a splash. They're getting a lot of heat from the fan base because of the Calgary trade, which, even with Ferland's performance, they lost big time. There's been talk about trading Hamilton mainly because they need scoring upfront. Which is what Lindholm has done for Calgary, with 21 goals. And Hanifan has been a solid top 4 D in Calgary. So public perception of the deal is that it looks like a disaster, with Ferland being the only sliver of hope. I read where it would be a public relations disaster if they moved Ferland. As long as the Canes are in the hunt, I think they'll hold onto him. Even if he becomes a self rental. The team has had a rough decade, and getting into the playoffs would be a big deal. This is a new ownership group. They aren't financially strapped like Karmanos. And public perception matters to a new owner. They'd have to fall out of the race before they move him in my opinion. And they just may pay him during the offseason.

If they do choose to move him, and he brings a #1 pick, I suspect the Pens will be out of the running. JR has never traded a 1st for a rental. The most he's spent is a #2 and #5 for Winnick when he was reaching, and the 2nd for Hainsey. If you recall, one of the most attractive parts of the Brassard trade was that he came with term. JR looks for term. He's already putting together next season's roster in his head.

Charlie Coyle fits the bill of being affordable and coming with term. But the Wild are currently in a wild card spot, and are a team that expects to win now. Otherwise, they have to blow it up. But with Parise's and Suter's contracts, they are all in, although it's likely to be in vain. If they fall out of the race, they may make Coyle available. But they also see him as potentially part of their solution. If Minny falls out of the race, a cheaper and more likely target would be Eric Staal. Assuming he doesn't cost the 1st. I just don't see JR moving the 1st for a rental.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,908
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:33 pm

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:34 pm

Anyone with an Athletic subscription (mine expired, need to renew)? Yohe just talked to Rutherford and has an article on it. By the quote below and what I have hearing, sure seems to confirm that if they find a taker, Brassard is a goner.

"To this point, for whatever reason, he has underperformed. Especially when you consider the expectations that we had for him, he’s underperformed.”
Jim Rutherford shared his thoughts on Derick Brassard with @JoshYohe_PGH....
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,345
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby longtimefan on Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:52 pm

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2019 ... ins-ducks/

https://theathletic.com/766849/2019/01/ ... performed/

The first link is to DK's site, the second to Yohe. DK's was from Saturday, and Yohe's from this afternoon. Along with the Mackey article, they give you three different perspectives from interviewing the same guy. Sometimes I think JR likes toying with them. :)

Tidbits from DK:

“It’s a good hockey team.”This was Jim Rutherford. And this came in a conversation we were having a few hours before the Penguins’ outrageously energetic 7-4 comeback over the Ducks...


In our talk before this game, he was candid as ever in addressing what he feels he needs to achieve by the NHL’s Feb. 25 trade deadline.
Meaning not a thing.

“Quite honestly, I don’t feel the urgency that I did at this time a year ago,” he told me. “If there’s something worth doing, I’ll do it. And we’ll always do our due diligence, spend the next few weeks assessing things. Anytime we can upgrade, if something makes sense, we’ll do that.”


And what, I asked, might be his primary positional target?

“I wouldn’t say we’re looking at anything along those lines right now,” he replied. “Obviously, we’re not going to keep all nine defensemen, so something has to happen there. But we’re not looking at anything along the lines of what we need.”


And from Yohe:

Why Brassard hasn’t thrived with the Penguins remains a mystery for Rutherford.

“I don’t know how to answer that,” he said. “You know, he’s been OK. It’s not like he’s been bad. But to this point, for whatever reason, he has underperformed. Especially when you consider the expectations that we had for him, he’s underperformed.”


“That line has actually done some great things,” Rutherford said. “When Phil turns it up the way he has recently, you see what a great player he is. Pearson has played very well lately. I honestly think that, if Brassard would ever shift a gear here, that line could be great.”

Is Brassard going to shift a gear? And why hasn’t he in 11 months with the Penguins?

“Nobody has the answer to that,” Rutherford said. “But I wouldn’t be talking about him shifting into another gear if I didn’t believe that gear existed. You usually don’t talk about people shifting gears if you don’t think it’s inside of him. We obviously think he has the ability to shift into another gear, to make a real difference for us. I got him because I felt that he would do that.”


So, the Penguins essentially have two choices. They can retain Brassard through the duration of his contract and hope he finally begins to produce at the level that is expected.

Or, they can deal him — perhaps along with one of their defensemen, as they currently have a surplus there — in return for another “No. 3 center” or an impactful forward of some kind.

“Well, we’re always looking around to make our team better at every position,” Rutherford said. “That’s how we always prefer to operate.”


• He realizes trading a defenseman is pretty likely at this point. When Justin Schultz returns to the lineup next month, the Penguins will possess nine NHL defensemen at their disposal.

“It’s a big number,” Rutherford said. “Carrying nine of them would be very difficult.”

• Rutherford said trade talks currently are “about where they usually are” for January, which is to say the phones have been active but not ringing off the hook just yet.


• The Penguins are absolutely interested in acquiring at least one forward before the NHL trade deadline. Rutherford refuses to get into specifics about the kind of player in which he’s looking.

“I’m not going to go there just yet,” he said.


I don't know what it all says, but it's right from the horse's mouth. So read into it what you will.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,908
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:33 pm

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby pens_CT on Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:07 pm

longtimefan wrote:https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2019/01/12/column-penguins-ducks/

https://theathletic.com/766849/2019/01/ ... performed/

The first link is to DK's site, the second to Yohe. DK's was from Saturday, and Yohe's from this afternoon. Along with the Mackey article, they give you three different perspectives from interviewing the same guy. Sometimes I think JR likes toying with them. :)

Tidbits from DK:

“It’s a good hockey team.”This was Jim Rutherford. And this came in a conversation we were having a few hours before the Penguins’ outrageously energetic 7-4 comeback over the Ducks...


In our talk before this game, he was candid as ever in addressing what he feels he needs to achieve by the NHL’s Feb. 25 trade deadline.
Meaning not a thing.

“Quite honestly, I don’t feel the urgency that I did at this time a year ago,” he told me. “If there’s something worth doing, I’ll do it. And we’ll always do our due diligence, spend the next few weeks assessing things. Anytime we can upgrade, if something makes sense, we’ll do that.”


And what, I asked, might be his primary positional target?

“I wouldn’t say we’re looking at anything along those lines right now,” he replied. “Obviously, we’re not going to keep all nine defensemen, so something has to happen there. But we’re not looking at anything along the lines of what we need.”


And from Yohe:

Why Brassard hasn’t thrived with the Penguins remains a mystery for Rutherford.

“I don’t know how to answer that,” he said. “You know, he’s been OK. It’s not like he’s been bad. But to this point, for whatever reason, he has underperformed. Especially when you consider the expectations that we had for him, he’s underperformed.”


“That line has actually done some great things,” Rutherford said. “When Phil turns it up the way he has recently, you see what a great player he is. Pearson has played very well lately. I honestly think that, if Brassard would ever shift a gear here, that line could be great.”

Is Brassard going to shift a gear? And why hasn’t he in 11 months with the Penguins?

“Nobody has the answer to that,” Rutherford said. “But I wouldn’t be talking about him shifting into another gear if I didn’t believe that gear existed. You usually don’t talk about people shifting gears if you don’t think it’s inside of him. We obviously think he has the ability to shift into another gear, to make a real difference for us. I got him because I felt that he would do that.”


So, the Penguins essentially have two choices. They can retain Brassard through the duration of his contract and hope he finally begins to produce at the level that is expected.

Or, they can deal him — perhaps along with one of their defensemen, as they currently have a surplus there — in return for another “No. 3 center” or an impactful forward of some kind.

“Well, we’re always looking around to make our team better at every position,” Rutherford said. “That’s how we always prefer to operate.”


• He realizes trading a defenseman is pretty likely at this point. When Justin Schultz returns to the lineup next month, the Penguins will possess nine NHL defensemen at their disposal.

“It’s a big number,” Rutherford said. “Carrying nine of them would be very difficult.”

• Rutherford said trade talks currently are “about where they usually are” for January, which is to say the phones have been active but not ringing off the hook just yet.


• The Penguins are absolutely interested in acquiring at least one forward before the NHL trade deadline. Rutherford refuses to get into specifics about the kind of player in which he’s looking.

“I’m not going to go there just yet,” he said.


I don't know what it all says, but it's right from the horse's mouth. So read into it what you will.



It will be interesting to see what happens, but I don't recall GMJR calling out a Penguins player like he has with Brassard. Maybe he has and I am not remembering it, but basically he is saying that Brassard is going through the motions out there.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,956
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby longtimefan on Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:14 pm

It will be interesting to see what happens, but I don't recall GMJR calling out a Penguins player like he has with Brassard. Maybe he has and I am not remembering it, but basically he is saying that Brassard is going through the motions out there.[/quote]

Thats' not really the sense I got. There seems to be a genuine affection for Brassard, the person. I think it's unfair to say he's going through the motions. You can see his frustration. For whatever the reason, it just hasn't worked out. I think it's frustrating from all sides. JR still leaves a glimmer of hope, but it's dimming. But remember also that Nick Bonino was a train wreak with 3 goals and 11 points prior to March of 2016.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,908
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:33 pm

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby Southern Fan on Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:11 pm

Thats' not really the sense I got. There seems to be a genuine affection for Brassard, the person. I think it's unfair to say he's going through the motions. You can see his frustration. For whatever the reason, it just hasn't worked out. I think it's frustrating from all sides. JR still leaves a glimmer of hope, but it's dimming. But remember also that Nick Bonino was a train wreak with 3 goals and 11 points prior to March of 2016.[/quote]

Remembering the Bonino regular season the same way. Maybe an uninjured Brassard will revert to Playoff Brassard.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,142
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:51 am

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


e-mail