Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby pens_CT on Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:47 pm

KG wrote:Bozak seems to make a lot of sense.

Makes too much money for playing a third line center role.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:53 pm

While it sounds like it could just be taking 1 + 1 and making it into 20, Jason Mackey's recent conversation with GMJR makes it seem like Rutherford may be getting ready to move on a deal.

Mackey infers that multiple teams are asking about Jarry, and, Rutherford makes a comment about liking to have the depth, BUT...."By having Casey signed now, this gives us more options going forward, possibly even prior to the deadline,” Rutherford told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on Sunday. “I like the idea that we have some depth there, preparing for the playoffs, but sometimes something comes along that you have to consider and maybe do earlier than you want."

Mackey seems to be implying that someone may have made Rutherford a good offer on something that requires him to included Jarry in the deal.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/penguins/2019/01/13/Penguins-Jim-Rutherford-trade-Jarry-DeSmith-Oleksiak-Brassard-defenseman-goalie/stories/201901130162
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Daniel on Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:06 pm

pens_CT wrote:
Daniel wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Was brought up in another thread, regarding moving Maatta. If the Penguins were to move Maatta, here's the types of players (3C) I'd be looking for in return. Other pieces could come to the Penguins or go out, depending on the deal.

BUF: Casey Middlestadt
CGY: Sam Bennett
COL: Alex Kerfoot
CBJ: Boone Jenner
DAL: Radek Faksa
DET: Andreas Athanasiou
LAK: Adrian Kempe
MTL: Phillip Danault

I don't think any of these guys are really available though, but, I wouldn't trade Maatta for Bozak. Would need a younger piece coming back.

I would add Chris Tierney's name to that list. There were rumors the Pens were interested in him when he was a member of the Sharks. More of a Bonino type of 3C will play on the PK, reasonable on face-offs, and can produce some offense. Still signed for another year, so he's not a rental.

Yes, he would be a good add. A shade under 3M, 24 years old, signed for another year and RFA afterwards. He's not going to have the goal scoring ability of a Brassard, but he's good on the PK, good defensively, and can distribute the puck. If you aren't scoring, at least be able to setup your teammates.....Tierney can do that. He's got 23 assists on the year.

He checks a lot of boxes as well.

They kinda already have Chris Tierney in Riley Sheahan. I think he'd score more in a 3C position. Hard to score with Cullen and random other 4th line winger.

If Rutherford & company thought Sheahan was a 3C on this team they never would have spent the assets to obtain Brassard. They need someone who can at least be average in distibuting the puck on the 3rd line to 81. I get that Sheahan has been stuck with some turds on the 4th line, but more than halfway through the season and he has two assists. You can't carry that kind of production on the third line.

I don't buy that at all. They can think he's a 3C and go get a 2C to play 3C. If you can improve the position, you do it. If they had Tierney and had the opportunity to get Brassard, I think they make the same trade.

Just to add, kinda hard to get assists if no one can score. I agree he should have more than 2 assists, but who has he played with that will allow him to have assists?
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ville5 on Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:20 pm

FLPensFan wrote:While it sounds like it could just be taking 1 + 1 and making it into 20, Jason Mackey's recent conversation with GMJR makes it seem like Rutherford may be getting ready to move on a deal.

Mackey infers that multiple teams are asking about Jarry, and, Rutherford makes a comment about liking to have the depth, BUT...."By having Casey signed now, this gives us more options going forward, possibly even prior to the deadline,” Rutherford told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on Sunday. “I like the idea that we have some depth there, preparing for the playoffs, but sometimes something comes along that you have to consider and maybe do earlier than you want."

Mackey seems to be implying that someone may have made Rutherford a good offer on something that requires him to included Jarry in the deal.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/penguins/2019/01/13/Penguins-Jim-Rutherford-trade-Jarry-DeSmith-Oleksiak-Brassard-defenseman-goalie/stories/201901130162

Thanks for posting the link, I forgot it.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens_CT on Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:23 pm

FLPensFan wrote:While it sounds like it could just be taking 1 + 1 and making it into 20, Jason Mackey's recent conversation with GMJR makes it seem like Rutherford may be getting ready to move on a deal.

Well if they are moving Jarry during this season then they need to get another goalie somewhere. I can't see them moving forward with Murray who has an injury history and DeSmith as the only viable NHL options. Unless they think 30 year old John Muse is really an NHL goalie, and I find that hard to believe.
Last edited by pens_CT on Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:23 pm

ville5 wrote:

Thanks for posting the link, I forgot it.

Doh! Missed the quote on the previous page. LOL
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ericf on Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:24 pm

Sounds like he’s putting it out there that he wants a good offer from someone...as opposed to having one already...lol
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby ville5 on Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:56 pm

Ericf wrote:

Sounds like he’s putting it out there that he wants a good offer from someone...as opposed to having one already...lol

Sounded to me like GMJR was implying he had a quality offer for Jarry to get someone else to better their offer. :confused:
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens_CT on Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:28 pm

Does anybody have TIOPS article on Ferland?
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:30 pm

TIOPS says Pittsburgh is indeed looking at Chris Tierney. Says they have been regularly checking on him, and he is a player they have liked and wanted to acquire even when he was with SJ.

TIOPS also says there are as many as 4 East and 2 West teams vying for Ferland. TB,BOS,PIT, CBJ reportedly interested and some rumors of WSH. West teams weren't named.

Says Carolina has had interest in Jarry in the past, and believed that Pittsburgh may have offered Oleksiak and Jarry for Ferland (that would be an overpayment for rental, IMO). Says with this many teams interested, it really looks like Carolina may be able to pull down a 1st and a prospect for Ferland (that I can believe if there is heavy interest).

TIOPS says Oleksiak is definitely on the block.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_CT on Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:02 pm

FLPensFan wrote:TIOPS says Pittsburgh is indeed looking at Chris Tierney. Says they have been regularly checking on him, and he is a player they have liked and wanted to acquire even when he was with SJ.

TIOPS also says there are as many as 4 East and 2 West teams vying for Ferland. TB,BOS,PIT, CBJ reportedly interested and some rumors of WSH. West teams weren't named.

Says Carolina has had interest in Jarry in the past, and believed that Pittsburgh may have offered Oleksiak and Jarry for Ferland (that would be an overpayment for rental, IMO). Says with this many teams interested, it really looks like Carolina may be able to pull down a 1st and a prospect for Ferland (that I can believe if there is heavy interest).

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure why Carolina would be interested in a defenseman, that would seem to be the strength of their team? Both of their goalies are UFAs and neither are very good, so I could see the interest in Jarry.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:45 pm

pens_CT wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:TIOPS says Pittsburgh is indeed looking at Chris Tierney. Says they have been regularly checking on him, and he is a player they have liked and wanted to acquire even when he was with SJ.

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure why Carolina would be interested in a defenseman, that would seem to be the strength of their team? Both of their goalies are UFAs and neither are very good, so I could see the interest in Jarry.

I honestly think TIOPS, like others, takes 2 + 2 and makes 10. Everyone can see Oleksiak is the odd man out. Carolina reportedly had interest in Jarry last year. Put them both together as the rumored package for Ferland....done. As you said, Carolina really has no need for an Oleksiak.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:07 pm

KG wrote:Mentioned him before but Jeff Carter could be someone of interest. Veteran, cup winner, can anchor the 3rd line center spot and play wing.

Cap hit would have to be figured out but the idea of a player like him I would think would interest the Pens.

Too much cap hit for too long.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:11 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

I honestly think TIOPS, like others, takes 2 + 2 and makes 10. Everyone can see Oleksiak is the odd man out. Carolina reportedly had interest in Jarry last year. Put them both together as the rumored package for Ferland....done. As you said, Carolina really has no need for an Oleksiak.

I think that they just pick stuff out of Eklund's garbage.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NJ5934 on Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:49 pm

I have no clue what his camp is looking for or why he's even up for grabs but why is everyone so certain Ferland would be a rental? He's a 26 year old banger who has some skill and can move up and down the lineup. He strikes me a physical Bryan Rust. He's had one 20 goal season at this point, is he really asking for that much?
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ville5 on Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:55 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

Trying to find out about this guy, I found out he was a decent player at least. http://achahockey.org/view/achahockey/a ... bj-dipaoli
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:35 pm

NJ5934 wrote:I have no clue what his camp is looking for or why he's even up for grabs but why is everyone so certain Ferland would be a rental? He's a 26 year old banger who has some skill and can move up and down the lineup. He strikes me a physical Bryan Rust. He's had one 20 goal season at this point, is he really asking for that much?

Rumor is "Wilson" type money.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:38 pm

NJ5934 wrote:I have no clue what his camp is looking for or why he's even up for grabs but why is everyone so certain Ferland would be a rental? He's a 26 year old banger who has some skill and can move up and down the lineup. He strikes me a physical Bryan Rust. He's had one 20 goal season at this point, is he really asking for that much?

The rumors have come out this week that he is going to ask for Tom Wilson money, 5M a season. He's not wrong to ask for it. He's had a 20 goal season....Wilson has not. He plays a good, physical game (he apparently 3-punched and dropped Austin Watson today). He's had a 40 point season, and on pace for another.

Lots of teams are apparently looking at him as a solid counter to Tom Wilson. Ferland really hasn't lost that many fights. He's had some good bouts against Kevin Bieksa over the years. He's probably one of the better players who can fight well and skate 10-15 minutes a night. Is he on the same level as Wilson? Probably not, but he's in the same region.

FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:43 pm

ville5 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

Trying to find out about this guy, I found out he was a decent player at least. http://achahockey.org/view/achahockey/a ... bj-dipaoli

He's a hack. He really is. He's worse than Kingerski, and that's hard to do. At least Kingerski tries hard and puts out content on a daily basis. DiPaoli goes weeks without posting anything, to the point where you think his website has shut down, and then he'll pop up with something. As far as I know, he has never been a credentialed NHL reporter, so, whatever claims of sources he has are sketchy at best.

He really is on the Eklund level, and I oftern wonder why I even bother reading his site and commenting on his ideas.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby NJ5934 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:49 am

I'm probably in the minority here but a Tom Wilson type is exactly what i think this team needs. Not just for the the reminder of this season.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:46 am

NJ5934 wrote:I'm probably in the minority here but a Tom Wilson type is exactly what i think this team needs. Not just for the the reminder of this season.

Every team in the league is looking for a Tom Wilson type. There are about 3 of them in the league.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:25 am

Tom Wilson- akin to Matt Cooke. Be prepared for the suspensions and ridicule of employing a player type that you have in the recent past, condemned when he has hurt your team. The ship has sailed on finding a player to protect Sid and Evgeni. ZAR was and can become a very good player who will get in the face of other players.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: Through thick & thin; all out or all in~we'll get through together.

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:39 am

lemieuxReturns wrote:
NJ5934 wrote:I'm probably in the minority here but a Tom Wilson type is exactly what i think this team needs. Not just for the the reminder of this season.

Every team in the league is looking for a Tom Wilson type. There are about 3 of them in the league.

He would be a great add, no doubt, but, I'm not sure this team should be getting into what seems like a large bidding for him, being that he is a UFA.

Also, forget about the cost to acquire for a minute, and also realize that if the Penguins do acquire Ferland, it likely means Simon is moved or out of a job. Ferland is getting 2-3 minutes more than Simon a night. He is not a 4th line guy. He has twice as many goals as Simon does. Ferland needs 2nd or 3rd line minutes. You'd likely be looking at:

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Pearson-Malkin-Hornqvist
Ferland-3C-Kessel
Sheahan-Cullen-ZAR

Longer term, if you want to resign him, he had 21 goals and 41 points last season, and is on pace for 26 goals and 50 points this season. That's a 4M player in today's NHL. If his services are in demand, he might be able to get that 5M plus he is looking for. That isn't going to fit under Penguins cap structure.

But, Ferland is a solid, tough competitor who can produce points (Reaves says, ahem...). He also has never been suspended by the NHL.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:50 am

FLPensFan wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:

He would be a great add, no doubt, but, I'm not sure this team should be getting into what seems like a large bidding for him, being that he is a UFA.

Also, forget about the cost to acquire for a minute, and also realize that if the Penguins do acquire Ferland, it likely means Simon is moved or out of a job. Ferland is getting 2-3 minutes more than Simon a night. He is not a 4th line guy. He has twice as many goals as Simon does. Ferland needs 2nd or 3rd line minutes. You'd likely be looking at:

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Pearson-Malkin-Hornqvist
Ferland-3C-Kessel
Sheahan-Cullen-ZAR

Longer term, if you want to resign him, he had 21 goals and 41 points last season, and is on pace for 26 goals and 50 points this season. That's a 4M player in today's NHL. If his services are in demand, he might be able to get that 5M plus he is looking for. That isn't going to fit under Penguins cap structure.

But, Ferland is a solid, tough competitor who can produce points (Reaves says, ahem...). He also has never been suspended by the NHL.

We are talking about Wilson not Ferland. Wilson is not a UFA this summer.

EDIT: I see now that when he said "type" I suppose he was talking about Ferland??? I would not compare Ferland to Tom Wilson.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:52 am

lemieuxReturns wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Pearson-Malkin-Hornqvist
Ferland-3C-Kessel
Sheahan-Cullen-ZAR

We are talking about Wilson not Ferland. Wilson is not a UFA this summer.

Sorry, but I see "Tom Wilson type" in the post above, and, the discussion has been on Ferland....who is a UFA.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins