The Daniel Sprong discussion thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: The Daniel Sprong discussion thread

Postby Hot Dog Vendor on Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:01 pm

Ericf wrote:
Hot Dog Vendor wrote:Yeah, lets trade Sprong for somebody else that Sullivan will refuse to play.



But the coach isn’t the problem...haven’t you heard?

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/peng ... 1811090112


They may not be tuning him out, but he dam sure isn't pushing the right buttons.
Hot Dog Vendor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,039
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:48 am

Re: The Daniel Sprong discussion thread

Postby State College Penguin on Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:44 pm

People are infatuated with Sprong, like they were with Derek Pouliot. DP has turned into only a serviceable Dman in Vancouver and that is his ceiling. Sprong is an AHL goal scorer. He got a spot on this roster by default. Because ZAR had options remaining. Sprong didn't have a good camp and that has been noted. The coach, who has guided Pittsburgh to back to back Cups, doesn't have faith in him. That is all you need to know.

Daniel Sprong should have been dealt last year. He has little value on the trade market because teams know he isn't playing well ... coach doesn't have trust in him ... and Pittsburgh can't try to send him down without him being claimed. He is essentially a dead roster spot.

Can people stop putting Daniel Sprong as someone that is a difference maker. He is in WB-S, not Pittsburgh.
State College Penguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:37 pm

Re: The Daniel Sprong discussion thread

Postby thehockeyguru on Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:03 pm

State College Penguin wrote:People are infatuated with Sprong, like they were with Derek Pouliot. DP has turned into only a serviceable Dman in Vancouver and that is his ceiling. Sprong is an AHL goal scorer. He got a spot on this roster by default. Because ZAR had options remaining. Sprong didn't have a good camp and that has been noted. The coach, who has guided Pittsburgh to back to back Cups, doesn't have faith in him. That is all you need to know.

Daniel Sprong should have been dealt last year. He has little value on the trade market because teams know he isn't playing well ... coach doesn't have trust in him ... and Pittsburgh can't try to send him down without him being claimed. He is essentially a dead roster spot.

Can people stop putting Daniel Sprong as someone that is a difference maker. He is in WB-S, not Pittsburgh.


I dont know exactly what your point is. The Pens aren't in a 5 game funk because of Daniel Sprong. Sprong is one of 7-8 players who have underachieved to this point. Sprong isn't making Maatta, Hagelin, or Rust money so frankly he's well down the list of players for me. Trading Sprong, a player used sparingly on the 4th line isn't going to fix the problem this team has with guys they gave a lot of money and term to.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,056
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: The Daniel Sprong discussion thread

Postby Daniel on Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:41 pm

State College Penguin wrote:People are infatuated with Sprong, like they were with Derek Pouliot. DP has turned into only a serviceable Dman in Vancouver and that is his ceiling. Sprong is an AHL goal scorer. He got a spot on this roster by default. Because ZAR had options remaining. Sprong didn't have a good camp and that has been noted. The coach, who has guided Pittsburgh to back to back Cups, doesn't have faith in him. That is all you need to know.

Daniel Sprong should have been dealt last year. He has little value on the trade market because teams know he isn't playing well ... coach doesn't have trust in him ... and Pittsburgh can't try to send him down without him being claimed. He is essentially a dead roster spot.

Can people stop putting Daniel Sprong as someone that is a difference maker. He is in WB-S, not Pittsburgh.


I don't think people are infatuated with Sprong because they think he's a future hall of famer, but just want to see him get a chance to sink or swim. Hornqvist has goals in 2 games, Rust has 1 goal....why not try Sprong on the first line for some shifts or even a game? I think he's earned at least a few shifts with Sid. It isn't like he'll score less than Hornqvist and Rust.

On the youth thread, you stated that the Pens don't have that young player anymore, but is that because of the talent or the opportunity? I think it's opportunity. There were no slots open for competition in September and I think we're seeing the results of that. Look at the roster, not a single person had to earn a spot except for maybe Simon and I think he had a spot if he doesn't fail. Not a single forward or defense spot was open in training camp. You might consider backup goalie a competition, but who cares who the backup goalie is. You mentioned Murray, Rust, Sheary, and Guentzel on the other thread, but JR created competition to allow them to grow and earn a spot.

JR wants to complain about the team being "together too long", but only needs to look at himself for the reason. He thinks ZAR is a Hornqvist type player and ready for the NHL, but signed Hornqvist to a new contract. He also signed Rust to a new contract. He didn't trade Kessel or Hagelin and brought back Cullen. For a team that has been together for too long, he certainly made some effort to keep them together. If he simply does nothing, you replace Hornqvist, Rust, and Cullen with someone else.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,085
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:10 pm
Location: Fort Worth

Re: The Daniel Sprong discussion thread

Postby Malkintent on Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:09 pm

Everyone seems to suggest playing Sprong with Crosby but what about Malkin? He had a nice pass on Malkin's goal awhile back and Geno could use a skilled young winger, a Guentzel to his Crosby so to speak. It would be a colossal waste to not even try it.
Malkintent
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,539
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:14 am
Location: Please help my dog https://www.gofundme.com/sumdm7d8

Re: The Daniel Sprong discussion thread

Postby Pruezy11881 on Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:29 pm

Malkintent wrote:Everyone seems to suggest playing Sprong with Crosby but what about Malkin? He had a nice pass on Malkin's goal awhile back and Geno could use a skilled young winger, a Guentzel to his Crosby so to speak. It would be a colossal waste to not even try it.

I am also curious to see if he could be the Neal to Malkin.
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,674
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:09 am
Location: Erie, PA

Re: The Daniel Sprong discussion thread

Postby Ericf on Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:54 pm

Malkintent wrote:Everyone seems to suggest playing Sprong with Crosby but what about Malkin? He had a nice pass on Malkin's goal awhile back and Geno could use a skilled young winger, a Guentzel to his Crosby so to speak. It would be a colossal waste to not even try it.


I think Geno is actually a better fit for him...but it’s doesn’t matter because the coach won’t give him another chance....
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:32 pm

Re: The Daniel Sprong discussion thread

Postby Maestro on Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:26 pm

Sprong should get 10 games with Malkin.

Until then he never got a fair shot here and it's the coach's fault.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,792
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:05 pm

Re: The Daniel Sprong discussion thread

Postby Jim on Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:04 pm

Maestro wrote:Sprong should get 10 games with Malkin.

Until then he never got a fair shot here and it's the coach's fault.


Why didn't he get 11 games? Not a fair shot!
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,503
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: The Daniel Sprong discussion thread

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:36 pm

Jim wrote:
Maestro wrote:Sprong should get 10 games with Malkin.

Until then he never got a fair shot here and it's the coach's fault.


Why didn't he get 11 games? Not a fair shot!

He got more to prove he could be a good fourth liner.

And failed.

Trade or waive if that's what we'd use him for, if at all. Doesn't add much to a fourth line.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,751
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:49 am
Location: Is apparently an annoying poster.

Re: The Daniel Sprong discussion thread

Postby Hot Dog Vendor on Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:08 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:
Jim wrote:
Maestro wrote:Sprong should get 10 games with Malkin.

Until then he never got a fair shot here and it's the coach's fault.


Why didn't he get 11 games? Not a fair shot!

He got more to prove he could be a good fourth liner.

And failed.

Trade or waive if that's what we'd use him for, if at all. Doesn't add much to a fourth line.


See, this **** right here.......Every one of us looks at Daniel Sprong's skillset and realizes that he doesn't belong on 4th line duty. Which is fine. Would Evgeni Malkin make a good 4th liner? How about Phil Kessel? Think James Neal would shine on a 4th line? Johnny Gadreau strike you as a 4th line grinder? The answer to all those questions is a resounding NO. Do you think that any of those players are failures in any way because they would be lousy on a 4th line?

You put a player in a position where he is most likely to succeed, based on their abilities & style of play. If they fail then, it is what it is. To do anything less is wantonly harming the entire team. Everybody knows that Sprong was going to fail based on the role that was forced upon him. The whole thing stinks of personal dislike, which is unbecoming of a head coach's role.

Not every hockey player would make a good 4th liner. Its **** wack that Sullivan would've even, for a moment, considered that Sprong on the 4th line makes any sense at all. Whatever his reason for it - be it a personal dislike for Sprong, or a woeful lack of player evaluation skills - seriously calls into question his ability as a head coach. It's even worse that JR stood by and let him do it.
Hot Dog Vendor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,039
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:48 am

Re: The Daniel Sprong discussion thread

Postby Jim on Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:36 am

Hot Dog Vendor wrote:See, this **** right here.......Every one of us looks at Daniel Sprong's skillset and realizes that he doesn't belong on 4th line duty. Which is fine. Would Evgeni Malkin make a good 4th liner? How about Phil Kessel? Think James Neal would shine on a 4th line? Johnny Gadreau strike you as a 4th line grinder? The answer to all those questions is a resounding NO. Do you think that any of those players are failures in any way because they would be lousy on a 4th line?


Actually I think that they would all be fine on the 4th line. If you got it you got it, it doesn't matter what line you are on. The only one that I say no to is "Johnny Gadreau strike you as a 4th line grinder?" as he obviously does not "strike me as a 4th line grinder", however, I think that he would do just fine on the 4th line.

It's not like being on the 4th line makes you unable to do anything offensive, it's not like being on the 4th line makes you unable to skate, it's not like being on the 4th line makes you unable to handle the puck, it's not like being on the 4th line makes you unable to show skill.

Crosby, and Malkin, have often double shifted with the 4th line. It's not like when they do they suddenly look like AHLers. Cullen managed 29G and 63Pts off the 4th line his prior 2 seasons with the Pens, as a 39/40 year old. Sure, being on the 4th line is going to limit the number of opportunities that you get, but when you do nothing with those opportunities... that's not because you are on the 4th line.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,503
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: The Daniel Sprong discussion thread

Postby Hot Dog Vendor on Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:40 am

Jim wrote:
Hot Dog Vendor wrote:See, this **** right here.......Every one of us looks at Daniel Sprong's skillset and realizes that he doesn't belong on 4th line duty. Which is fine. Would Evgeni Malkin make a good 4th liner? How about Phil Kessel? Think James Neal would shine on a 4th line? Johnny Gadreau strike you as a 4th line grinder? The answer to all those questions is a resounding NO. Do you think that any of those players are failures in any way because they would be lousy on a 4th line?


Actually I think that they would all be fine on the 4th line. If you got it you got it, it doesn't matter what line you are on. The only one that I say no to is "Johnny Gadreau strike you as a 4th line grinder?" as he obviously does not "strike me as a 4th line grinder", however, I think that he would do just fine on the 4th line.

It's not like being on the 4th line makes you unable to do anything offensive, it's not like being on the 4th line makes you unable to skate, it's not like being on the 4th line makes you unable to handle the puck, it's not like being on the 4th line makes you unable to show skill.

Crosby, and Malkin, have often double shifted with the 4th line. It's not like when they do they suddenly look like AHLers. Cullen managed 29G and 63Pts off the 4th line his prior 2 seasons with the Pens, as a 39/40 year old. Sure, being on the 4th line is going to limit the number of opportunities that you get, but when you do nothing with those opportunities... that's not because you are on the 4th line.


okay
Hot Dog Vendor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,039
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:48 am

Re: The Daniel Sprong discussion thread

Postby Defence21 on Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:42 am

Hot Dog Vendor wrote:
Jim wrote:
Hot Dog Vendor wrote:See, this **** right here.......Every one of us looks at Daniel Sprong's skillset and realizes that he doesn't belong on 4th line duty. Which is fine. Would Evgeni Malkin make a good 4th liner? How about Phil Kessel? Think James Neal would shine on a 4th line? Johnny Gadreau strike you as a 4th line grinder? The answer to all those questions is a resounding NO. Do you think that any of those players are failures in any way because they would be lousy on a 4th line?


Actually I think that they would all be fine on the 4th line. If you got it you got it, it doesn't matter what line you are on. The only one that I say no to is "Johnny Gadreau strike you as a 4th line grinder?" as he obviously does not "strike me as a 4th line grinder", however, I think that he would do just fine on the 4th line.

It's not like being on the 4th line makes you unable to do anything offensive, it's not like being on the 4th line makes you unable to skate, it's not like being on the 4th line makes you unable to handle the puck, it's not like being on the 4th line makes you unable to show skill.

Crosby, and Malkin, have often double shifted with the 4th line. It's not like when they do they suddenly look like AHLers. Cullen managed 29G and 63Pts off the 4th line his prior 2 seasons with the Pens, as a 39/40 year old. Sure, being on the 4th line is going to limit the number of opportunities that you get, but when you do nothing with those opportunities... that's not because you are on the 4th line.


okay

Hockey isn't just about scoring points. Of course Sprong won't get the points many would like to see on the fourth line, but he should be able to play competent hockey. He's not, and as such, doesn't deserve a promotion to one of the scoring lines.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,525
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:01 pm
Location: Johnstown, PA

Re: The Daniel Sprong discussion thread

Postby Great58 on Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:43 pm

Jim wrote:
Hot Dog Vendor wrote:See, this **** right here.......Every one of us looks at Daniel Sprong's skillset and realizes that he doesn't belong on 4th line duty. Which is fine. Would Evgeni Malkin make a good 4th liner? How about Phil Kessel? Think James Neal would shine on a 4th line? Johnny Gadreau strike you as a 4th line grinder? The answer to all those questions is a resounding NO. Do you think that any of those players are failures in any way because they would be lousy on a 4th line?


Actually I think that they would all be fine on the 4th line. If you got it you got it, it doesn't matter what line you are on. The only one that I say no to is "Johnny Gadreau strike you as a 4th line grinder?" as he obviously does not "strike me as a 4th line grinder", however, I think that he would do just fine on the 4th line.

It's not like being on the 4th line makes you unable to do anything offensive, it's not like being on the 4th line makes you unable to skate, it's not like being on the 4th line makes you unable to handle the puck, it's not like being on the 4th line makes you unable to show skill.

Crosby, and Malkin, have often double shifted with the 4th line. It's not like when they do they suddenly look like AHLers. Cullen managed 29G and 63Pts off the 4th line his prior 2 seasons with the Pens, as a 39/40 year old. Sure, being on the 4th line is going to limit the number of opportunities that you get, but when you do nothing with those opportunities... that's not because you are on the 4th line.

Neither comparison is fair. Sprong isn't the talent of any of those guys, so saying Phil or Johnny could skate fourth line and be fine doesn't apply at all to Sprong (I personally think Phil would get frustrated and take bad penalties, but whatever). And Sid and Geno don't rely on a slow, over 40 center when they double shift (and they are generational talents). But regardless, offensive opportunities universally decrease when playing with line mates with more limited skill.

I understand the point is that Sprong isn't that good, else he'd already stand out, but I think his limitations make his use that much more important. If he's not on a line that maximizes his shot opportunities, he's not doing much else for the team. I would like him to get some time with Malkin to see if he can become a mini Neal2.0. Or at least with a healthy Brassard, consistently. That said, I thought he'd skate better than he has shown, and if he eventually gets waiver and claimed or traded it's not going to be the end of my day.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,082
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:56 pm
Location: On the blue line

Re: The Daniel Sprong discussion thread

Postby Jim on Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:42 pm

Great58 wrote:
Jim wrote:
Hot Dog Vendor wrote:See, this **** right here.......Every one of us looks at Daniel Sprong's skillset and realizes that he doesn't belong on 4th line duty. Which is fine. Would Evgeni Malkin make a good 4th liner? How about Phil Kessel? Think James Neal would shine on a 4th line? Johnny Gadreau strike you as a 4th line grinder? The answer to all those questions is a resounding NO. Do you think that any of those players are failures in any way because they would be lousy on a 4th line?


Actually I think that they would all be fine on the 4th line. If you got it you got it, it doesn't matter what line you are on. The only one that I say no to is "Johnny Gadreau strike you as a 4th line grinder?" as he obviously does not "strike me as a 4th line grinder", however, I think that he would do just fine on the 4th line.

It's not like being on the 4th line makes you unable to do anything offensive, it's not like being on the 4th line makes you unable to skate, it's not like being on the 4th line makes you unable to handle the puck, it's not like being on the 4th line makes you unable to show skill.

Crosby, and Malkin, have often double shifted with the 4th line. It's not like when they do they suddenly look like AHLers. Cullen managed 29G and 63Pts off the 4th line his prior 2 seasons with the Pens, as a 39/40 year old. Sure, being on the 4th line is going to limit the number of opportunities that you get, but when you do nothing with those opportunities... that's not because you are on the 4th line.

Neither comparison is fair. Sprong isn't the talent of any of those guys, so saying Phil or Johnny could skate fourth line and be fine doesn't apply at all to Sprong (I personally think Phil would get frustrated and take bad penalties, but whatever). And Sid and Geno don't rely on a slow, over 40 center when they double shift (and they are generational talents). But regardless, offensive opportunities universally decrease when playing with line mates with more limited skill.

I understand the point is that Sprong isn't that good, else he'd already stand out, but I think his limitations make his use that much more important. If he's not on a line that maximizes his shot opportunities, he's not doing much else for the team. I would like him to get some time with Malkin to see if he can become a mini Neal2.0. Or at least with a healthy Brassard, consistently. That said, I thought he'd skate better than he has shown, and if he eventually gets waiver and claimed or traded it's not going to be the end of my day.


i wasn't really big on the names that were chosen to compare, which is why I was all "yeah, they's be fine", but I was working with what I was given. However, remember that people were trading off Kessel in order to make room for Sprong. So some do put Sprong in that stable.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,503
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: The Daniel Sprong discussion thread

Postby Great58 on Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:56 pm

Jim wrote:i wasn't really big on the names that were chosen to compare, which is why I was all "yeah, they's be fine", but I was working with what I was given. However, remember that people were trading off Kessel in order to make room for Sprong. So some do put Sprong in that stable.

Gotcha. For the record, I have never been of the opinion that Sprong would make Phil disposable, and I was an early (if not founding) member of the Pittsburgh Phil Fan Club. But I think if we stuck Phil on the fourth line, we'd all be frustrated with what he contributed to the team. I agree he'd show more than Sprong has, but he's got more talent and confidence. If it's a case of determining if he can contribute to the team or be let go for either literally or practically nothing in return, I'd play Rust on line four and slot Sprong in with a center that can consistently drive offense. Right now on this team, that would be Sid or Geno. That's not gifting him ice time, that's finding a role that he can perform in that will benefit the team.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,082
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:56 pm
Location: On the blue line

Re: The Daniel Sprong discussion thread

Postby Hot Dog Vendor on Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:05 pm

Great58 wrote:
Jim wrote:i wasn't really big on the names that were chosen to compare, which is why I was all "yeah, they's be fine", but I was working with what I was given. However, remember that people were trading off Kessel in order to make room for Sprong. So some do put Sprong in that stable.

Gotcha. For the record, I have never been of the opinion that Sprong would make Phil disposable, and I was an early (if not founding) member of the Pittsburgh Phil Fan Club. But I think if we stuck Phil on the fourth line, we'd all be frustrated with what he contributed to the team. I agree he'd show more than Sprong has, but he's got more talent and confidence. If it's a case of determining if he can contribute to the team or be let go for either literally or practically nothing in return, I'd play Rust on line four and slot Sprong in with a center that can consistently drive offense. Right now on this team, that would be Sid or Geno. That's not gifting him ice time, that's finding a role that he can perform in that will benefit the team.


This was essentially my point. Not that any of the players I referenced couldn't play on a 4th line, but that they shouldn't. None of them belong on a checking line, and neither does Sprong. And not that he's anywhere near as skilled as a Phil Kessel, but his overall style of play is closer to a Kessel than it is to a Rust.
Hot Dog Vendor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,039
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:48 am

Re: The Daniel Sprong discussion thread

Postby pronovost19 on Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:40 pm

:pop:
:lol:
:pop:
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 7,220
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:22 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: The Daniel Sprong discussion thread

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:14 pm

Jim wrote:
Hot Dog Vendor wrote:See, this **** right here.......Every one of us looks at Daniel Sprong's skillset and realizes that he doesn't belong on 4th line duty. Which is fine. Would Evgeni Malkin make a good 4th liner? How about Phil Kessel? Think James Neal would shine on a 4th line? Johnny Gadreau strike you as a 4th line grinder? The answer to all those questions is a resounding NO. Do you think that any of those players are failures in any way because they would be lousy on a 4th line?


Actually I think that they would all be fine on the 4th line. If you got it you got it, it doesn't matter what line you are on. The only one that I say no to is "Johnny Gadreau strike you as a 4th line grinder?" as he obviously does not "strike me as a 4th line grinder", however, I think that he would do just fine on the 4th line.

It's not like being on the 4th line makes you unable to do anything offensive, it's not like being on the 4th line makes you unable to skate, it's not like being on the 4th line makes you unable to handle the puck, it's not like being on the 4th line makes you unable to show skill.

Crosby, and Malkin, have often double shifted with the 4th line. It's not like when they do they suddenly look like AHLers. Cullen managed 29G and 63Pts off the 4th line his prior 2 seasons with the Pens, as a 39/40 year old. Sure, being on the 4th line is going to limit the number of opportunities that you get, but when you do nothing with those opportunities... that's not because you are on the 4th line.

I think the big difference here is, Malkin and Crosby are established, elite level players. They can easily play on the 4th line because Crosby and Malkin elevate the play of anyone that plays on their wings. Sprong is an offensive minded player, but he's not at the point (and may never be) where he elevates the players around him. He needs to play with more skilled centers. Both Cullen and Sheahan aren't producing much offense this season, and both Cullen and Sheahan are heavily "defense-first" players. Cullen and Sheahan have produced better with the Penguins when they play with more of the defense-first type wingers....Kuhnhackl, Rust, Rowney, McKegg, etc.

The other thing is, offensive minded players typically need more TOI to get into the flow of the game. It's easy to say Crosby or Malkin play well on the 4th line.....because they aren't getting 4th line minutes throughout the game. Their double shifting, getting their rest, and getting right back out there, whereas Sprong is often sitting for 5-8 minutes at a time.

At this point, if Rutherford is truly listening to offers, I feel he is doing the team a disservice by not giving Sprong another shot with Crosby. I get the earn it stuff, but, clearly, Bryan Rust hadn't earned squat this year so far and he got multiple attempts with Crosby.

Sprong played 8 games last season. Sprong played 58 minutes with Crosby, and 44 minutes away from Crosby. With Crosby, Sprong had a 66% CF%, 68% SF%, 62.5 GF%, 77% Scoring Chances For %, and a whopping 89.5% High Danger Chances for %. Those numbers didn't dip significantly in the 44 minutes he was away from Crosby.

Last season, Sprong played 52 minutes with Dominik Simon, and 50 minutes away from Simon.....CF 64%, SF% of 70%, GF% of 71%, Scoring Chances For of 74%, and High Danger Chances for of 93.33% (14 for, 1 against).

Sprong was averaging a hair under 14 minutes a night. There are very few numbers I found in those 8 games where Sprong had bad possession numbers, was outscored, or outchanced, and if there were negatives or poor numbers, they weren't with anyone he spent the majority of his time with.

This "we tried it in training camp" crap is just that.....utter BS. I'm sure if you have followed me on here, I have been very up and down on Sprong. In his corner early on, faded and was down on him for a bit, but I have been pro-Sprong since his Calgary benching. After sitting that 1 game, I started seeing the Daniel Sprong that I saw in multiple highlights last year. The confidence was back.

At this point, this is a Sullivan issue. His numbers last year, playing with Crosby and better wingers in general, were much better. In the midst of a 5 game losing streak, it's puzzling to me that Sully never once considered trying Simon-Crosby-Sprong together again. I here from Jason Mackey that coaching/management really doesn't care about Corsi....they care more about scoring chances. 12-87-41 has a phenomenal Scoring Chances For % last year, as well as off the charts High Danger Chances For % last year.

Player 1 Player 2 Player 3 GP TOI CF CA CF% FF FA FF% SF SA SF% GF GA GF% SCF SCA SCF% HDCF HDCA HDCF%
Daniel Sprong Dominik Simon Sidney Crosby 6 48.95 61 29 67.78 52 20 72.22 39 16 70.91 5 2 71.43 39 10 79.59 14 1 93.33

Why has Sullivan never tried this trio again?????
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,686
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: The Daniel Sprong discussion thread

Postby Ericf on Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:06 am

Sullivan dislikes Sprong as a player (maybe a person too) and doesn’t want him on the team. That’s clear and has been for awhile and pretty much every member of the Pittsburgh media has said at some point over the last couple years. It’s like Cole and Reaves all over again. He will never give Sprong a fair opportunity. Why has Rust, who played like crap most of the year, been gifted opportunity after opportunity with Sid even though they don’t play particularly well together while Sprong sits on the bench? JR can’t force him to play the kid and unfortunately this is why he’ll be unceremoniously dumped for pennies on the dollar. Terrible asset management from the team.
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:32 pm

Re: The Daniel Sprong discussion thread

Postby Pitts on Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:32 pm

State College Penguin wrote:People are infatuated with Sprong, like they were with Derek Pouliot. DP has turned into only a serviceable Dman in Vancouver and that is his ceiling. Sprong is an AHL goal scorer. He got a spot on this roster by default. Because ZAR had options remaining. Sprong didn't have a good camp and that has been noted. The coach, who has guided Pittsburgh to back to back Cups, doesn't have faith in him. That is all you need to know.

Daniel Sprong should have been dealt last year. He has little value on the trade market because teams know he isn't playing well ... coach doesn't have trust in him ... and Pittsburgh can't try to send him down without him being claimed. He is essentially a dead roster spot.

Can people stop putting Daniel Sprong as someone that is a difference maker. He is in WB-S, not Pittsburgh.

Agreed.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,780
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: The Daniel Sprong discussion thread

Postby alancac98 on Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:14 am

Ericf wrote:Sullivan dislikes Sprong as a player (maybe a person too) and doesn’t want him on the team. That’s clear and has been for awhile and pretty much every member of the Pittsburgh media has said at some point over the last couple years. It’s like Cole and Reaves all over again. He will never give Sprong a fair opportunity. Why has Rust, who played like crap most of the year, been gifted opportunity after opportunity with Sid even though they don’t play particularly well together while Sprong sits on the bench? JR can’t force him to play the kid and unfortunately this is why he’ll be unceremoniously dumped for pennies on the dollar. Terrible asset management from the team.


Actually, yes he can. Rutherford could order Sprong be placed on Crosby or Malkin's line for "x" many games to see what he can do. From Rutherford's standpoint, it would be an evaluation and last chance for Sprong to showcase his skill. Even if he shows well, they could still trade him for more than a bucket of pucks as his trade value may increase with better performances. Teams would see it as one of those guys that just needs a change of venue! Rutherford just hasn't gone that route yet, as you never want to override a coaches decision - it normally only ends badly. However, Rutherford could approach this from a trade value standpoint.
alancac98
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:36 pm

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: E-Ramone, FallenHero96 and 23 guests


e-mail