2018 Workouts/Prospect Camp/Training Camp Talk

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

2018 Workouts/Prospect Camp/Training Camp Talk

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:45 am

Per Penguins Inside Scoop, @PensInsideScoop, the following players are on the ice for informal workouts in Cranberry this morning:

Hornqvist is leading the practice. He's joined by Crosby, Hagelin, Cullen, Guentzel, Brassard, Aston-Reese, Simon, Maatta, Oleksiak, Johnson, Riikola and Ruhwedel. -MC

EDIT: Dumoulin arrived 15 minutes late, to stick taps from teammates, per PensInsideScoop.
Last edited by FLPensFan on Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: 2018 Workouts/Prospect Camp/Training Camp Talk

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:46 am

For those interested, right now, it appears that only games involving the Buffalo Sabres will be streamed at this weekend's Prospect Challenge. Penguins play Buffalo at 12:30pm on Monday the 10th. Check out the Sabres website on Monday to find the live stream.

Penguins have stated they do not plan to stream any games. Boston and NJ have not commented one way or another.

Here's a link to the Penguins roster for the tournament: https://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/assets/binary/299931336/binary-file/file.pdf
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Daniel on Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:13 am

FLPensFan wrote:Per Penguins Inside Scoop, @PensInsideScoop, the following players are on the ice for informal workouts in Cranberry this morning:

Hornqvist is leading the practice. He's joined by Crosby, Hagelin, Cullen, Guentzel, Brassard, Aston-Reese, Simon, Maatta, Oleksiak, Johnson, Riikola and Ruhwedel. -MC

EDIT: Dumoulin arrived 15 minutes late, to stick taps from teammates, per PensInsideScoop.

Is it too early for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQo1HIcSVtg
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:21 am

Daniel wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Per Penguins Inside Scoop, @PensInsideScoop, the following players are on the ice for informal workouts in Cranberry this morning:

Is it too early for:

I think this is more appropriate:

FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pruezy11881 on Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:41 am

Daniel wrote:

Is it too early for:

:fist:
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:50 am

FLPensFan wrote:
Daniel wrote:

Is it too early for:

I think this is more appropriate:

That French Horn intro always geeks me up.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby penny lane on Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:11 pm

Reading Sid quotes means 4 weeks till hockey games. :D :wink:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:37 pm

penny lane wrote:Reading Sid quotes means 4 weeks till hockey games. :D :wink:

Or two days if you count the prospect tourney on Friday. :D
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:42 pm

FLPensFan wrote:For those interested, right now, it appears that only games involving the Buffalo Sabres will be streamed at this weekend's Prospect Challenge. Penguins play Buffalo at 12:30pm on Monday the 10th. Check out the Sabres website on Monday to find the live stream.

Penguins have stated they do not plan to stream any games. Boston and NJ have not commented one way or another.

Here's a link to the Penguins roster for the tournament: https://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/assets/binary/299931336/binary-file/file.pdf

So outside of Bellerive, I just don't see anyone to get excited about. Almeida's numbers are astonishing though but he is puny. Addison on D should be interesting to watch. G is just blah.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:44 pm

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:For those interested, right now, it appears that only games involving the Buffalo Sabres will be streamed at this weekend's Prospect Challenge. Penguins play Buffalo at 12:30pm on Monday the 10th. Check out the Sabres website on Monday to find the live stream.

So outside of Bellerive, I just don't see anyone to get excited about. Almeida's numbers are astonishing though but he is puny. Addison on D should be interesting to watch. G is just blah.

Is the cough drop playing in this?
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby LimerickPensFan on Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:00 pm

From a piece on DK's site:

Asking why so many players are there.
“Because it’s close to camp,” as Brassard would tell me before a nod toward the stall with No. 87, “and because he’s here.”
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:44 pm

LimerickPensFan wrote:

Is the cough drop playing in this?

No, it's prospects only. I guess technically he is a prospect, but, 80% of the guys are 23 and under. Jeff Taylor, Adam Johnson, and Troy Josephs are the only 24 year olds on the Penguins roster for this.

Good news is Riikola was at the informal practice today, so he is here early. A good sign.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:48 pm

Bellerive and Addison are ones to watch for sure. Carter Robertson is likely playing for a contract, as it is believed he is who Rutherford was keenly watching at development camp after the draft.

I'd add Almeida, Drozg, Johnson, Angello, and Militec as guys I am interested to see. Johnson is supposed to be close to NHL ready, like Blueger. If that's the case, he should stand out in a tournament like this. Militec was another undrafted guy who has flashed some skill.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Puck-Lurker on Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:46 pm

No Sprong.

Man I'd wish he'd just show up for this kinda stuff.

Other absent forwards: Malkin, Kessel, Rust, Sheahan, Hayes and Grant. The first four of those are guaranteed a roster spot. If added to forwards in Cranberry, that makes 12 forwards.

Pay attention Daniel-san!

Spoiler:
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SubtropicalPenguin on Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:02 pm

LimerickPensFan wrote:From a piece on DK's site:

“Because it’s close to camp,” as Brassard would tell me before a nod toward the stall with No. 87, “and because he’s here.”

I love that answer. Sid has always been the "lead by example" type of captain; it's always good to see the team react well to his leadership. I can't wait for the season to begin.
SubtropicalPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SubtropicalPenguin on Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:08 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:

No Sprong.

Other absent forwards: Malkin, Kessel, Rust, Sheahan, Hayes and Grant. The first four of those are guaranteed a roster spot. If added to forwards in Cranberry, that makes 12 forwards.

Spoiler:

Seriously... the kid has a chance to play in the NHL and line-up next to a generational talent if he can make either of the first two lines. He has to know the biggest factor in him not breaking through yet is the coaching staff's lack of faith in his total game and work ethic... yet no appearance. I know this isn't an official practice or anything, and camp hasn't even started... but if players like Crosby and Hornqvist are lacing up the skates, you can damn-well guarantee the Daniel Sprongs of the world should be there as well. I would note, Simon and Aston-Reese are there... who do you think gets that roster spot if not Sprong?
SubtropicalPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:53 pm

SubtropicalPenguin wrote:
LimerickPensFan wrote:From a piece on DK's site:

I love that answer. Sid has always been the "lead by example" type of captain; it's always good to see the team react well to his leadership. I can't wait for the season to begin.

I am looking forward to Brassard after a full Pens camp.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:17 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:

No Sprong.

Spoiler:

I'll give Sprong another day or so benefit of the doubt. You never know if he had a conflict or what. Dumoulin was late today, as he drove from Boston to WBS, and then WBS to Pittsburgh, so he hit the ice late. Heard that Malkin was in the building but didn't take the ice.

But yes, Sprong would be wise to show up sooner than later.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby penny lane on Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:12 pm

Phil must be coming in with Coach Sullivan 8-)
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:28 am

According to DK's Friday Insider, early feedback (which is one day of an informal practice) says Juuso Riikola could surprise a lot of people once training camp officially opens. DK mentioned he showed off his NHL caliber wheels this week and smoothness to rush the puck up ice with possession. DK said it doesn't look like he will have much trouble assimilating, his English is very good, and he's easily approachable already.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DelPen on Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:34 am

Enjoy this team while you can because we are going to crash really hard once Sid and Geno get a bit older. It's going to be like Detroit where they have zero depth because they kept mortgaging the future combined with late picks anyways.

There will be a stint of pain again because this team won't just sruvive on the backs of Guentzel and Murray 6 years from now. These scores from the prospect camp look really, really bad.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:38 pm

DelPen wrote:Enjoy this team while you can because we are going to crash really hard once Sid and Geno get a bit older. It's going to be like Detroit where they have zero depth because they kept mortgaging the future combined with late picks anyways.

There will be a stint of pain again because this team won't just sruvive on the backs of Guentzel and Murray 6 years from now. These scores from the prospect camp look really, really bad.

That's really not a bad thing. Once Malkin, Crosby, and Phil are out of their prime strip it bare. Take it on the chin for a few seasons and get top picks and build it back up again.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:26 pm

DelPen wrote:Enjoy this team while you can because we are going to crash really hard once Sid and Geno get a bit older. It's going to be like Detroit where they have zero depth because they kept mortgaging the future combined with late picks anyways.

That's really only is all that you care about is winning... ie: Fair weather fan or bandwagon jumpers.

There is also free agency. You just can't be **** at it like Detroit was.

Having young stud players doesn't mean anything either. Edmonton has proved that.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:47 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:

That's really not a bad thing. Once Malkin, Crosby, and Phil are out of their prime strip it bare. Take it on the chin for a few seasons and get top picks and build it back up again.

Exactly. If our stars fade, you don't have anything to fill their skates.

Oh, sure, there will be some talent around and some decent players to fill out a team. That said, you'll be looking at a wild card slot at best and -- if that -- a likely first round elimination. You'd get something like the Flames last season.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:58 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

Exactly. If our stars fade, you don't have anything to fill their skates.

Oh, sure, there will be some talent around and some decent players to fill out a team. That said, you'll be looking at a wild card slot at best and -- if that -- a likely first round elimination. You'd get something like the Flames last season.

Yes, it's so hard to keep a championship-caliber team for much longer than 15-20 years.

This fanbase is so spoiled it's silly.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins