Rust re-signed 4 years/$3.5 per year

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Rust re-signed 4 years/$3.5 per year

Postby ShipHockey7 on Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:31 am

ShipHockey7
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Rust re-signed 4 years/$3.5 per year

Postby pens_CT on Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:35 am

ShipHockey7 wrote:https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/pens-resign-bryan-rust-to-four-year-contract/c-299279942

Well that's a little bit more than I would have hoped for, but they kind of set the bar when they gave Sheary 3 million per year.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:12 pm

WHAT?!?!?! Just when Rutherford does some smart moves... he poo's the bed.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mnpensfan on Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:15 pm

There has to be a trade almost ready to agree to pay Rust that much........I hope he knows what he is doing.........
mnpensfan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Daniel on Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:43 pm

pens_CT wrote:
ShipHockey7 wrote:https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/pens-resign-bryan-rust-to-four-year-contract/c-299279942

Well that's a little bit more than I would have hoped for, but they kind of set the bar when they gave Sheary 3 million per year.

I think that's a byproduct of GMs overpaying for guys like Clarkson or Okposo because now instead of maybe $2 for Sheary and $2.5 for Rust, we see an additional million for both.

Neither are overpaid within NHL standards, but are within the standards of common sense.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sil on Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:46 pm

Love it. I had it at 4 years, 3.25 per. That extra quarter mil is for being our version of Mr. Game 7. :thumb:
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens_CT on Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:09 pm

Daniel wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

I think that's a byproduct of GMs overpaying for guys like Clarkson or Okposo because now instead of maybe $2 for Sheary and $2.5 for Rust, we see an additional million for both.

Neither are overpaid within NHL standards, but are within the standards of common sense.

It's also a function of the cap going up. People see 3.5 million and they treat it like it was 5 years ago.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:24 pm

pens_CT wrote:
Daniel wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

It's also a function of the cap going up. People see 3.5 million and they treat it like it was 5 years ago.

Cap goes up 5% rate, salaries go up at a 25% rate... not a direct relation. (not mathematical calculations, demonstration only)
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hatrick on Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:50 pm

pens_CT wrote:

overpaying sheary does not make overpaying rust the right thing to do. You are supposed to LEARN from mistakes not make the same mistakes over again.
Hatrick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jim on Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:51 pm

Hatrick wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

overpaying sheary does not make overpaying rust the right thing to do. You are supposed to LEARN from mistakes not make the same mistakes over again.

Agree
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pens4Life on Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:55 pm

Its solid deal, Rusty is warrior and good playoff player,that increased contract value a bit..

If you compare it to Hagelin and Sheary contract,its right there in between. :fist:
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:42 pm

Pens4Life wrote:Its solid deal, Rusty is warrior and good playoff player,that increased contract value a bit..

If you compare it to Hagelin and Sheary contract,its right there in between. :fist:

Those two are considered the worst contrasts on the team. .. soooo what are you saying?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby stonewizard51 on Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:13 pm

With Mooseknuckle turning down his contract that cleared half a mil for Rusty. :roll:

I like the signing just not the cap hit. I could see 3 mil like Sheary, at least Rusty is worth it. Here's hoping it pays off.
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hatrick on Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:19 pm

Jim wrote:
Pens4Life wrote:Its solid deal, Rusty is warrior and good playoff player,that increased contract value a bit..

Those two are considered the worst contrasts on the team. .. soooo what are you saying?

exactly, the two people everyone kept trying to trade because of their contracts(although personally id rather keep hagelin and try to sign him to a cheaper extension)
Hatrick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Cow_Master66 on Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:20 pm

Love it...Just like Hagelin, Rust is a playoff performer and that's what this team needs and pretty much all it should care about besides depth to deal with injuries...
Cow_Master66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby interstorm on Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:06 pm

It is deals like this that make me believe it is best to potentially have a handful of long term, near max cap allowed contracts (with the right players - Crosby, Geno, Tavares, McDavid, ...) and then fill the roster in with hard working entry level or "something to proove" players. Give me 3 top centers, another decent one, 2 top defensemen (not to play together) and another 1 or 2 solid blue liners along with a top 5 (maybe top 7 or 8) goaltender. Vegas prooved one doesn't need elite players and hard work, good coaching and structure will succeed. Washington showed us that the right big names at the right time can make a difference. I think a team loaded up on a half dozen people who can elevate the game of those around them coupled with guys fighting for their roster spot could win very well in today's game.

I'd rather have Kane than 2 Rusts...
I'd rather have McDavid than 2 Kanes...

Take that logic all the way.

(Also anyone remember Anaheim when Pronger and Niedermayer were there? While their defense was very strong and those were potentially 2 of the top 5 d-men in the game, in the playoffs they didn't play together and both were out there for almost half the game. A few of the right guys and then hard working fill-ins can succeed)

I should also say that I think we'll be complaining about this contract in 2 years (maybe 1).
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:39 pm

You can't discount the effect of the cap on salaries. The cap originally was $39.8M in 2005-06, and it was $56.7M when the Pens won in 2009. Now it's $79.5, so it's essentially doubled since its inception. So a $2M cap hit in 2005-06 amounts to about $4M now.

I think a good comparable for Rust is a 26 year old Hagelin. We are very familiar with both, and their games have a lot of similarities. After the 2014-15 season, the Rangers traded Hagelin because he was an RFA they couldn't afford. It's also possible the volatility of arbitration was involved, although I don't know that. It certainly was in Rust's case. The Rangers traded Hagelin to the Ducks. There are those in New York who view it as the beginning of the end of the Rangers run which saw them reach the conference finals 3 times in 4 years, and the finals once. His speed was seen as a key component. After the trade, the Ducks quickly signed Hagelin to the 4 yr/16M contract we continue to complain about. :) A part of any contract is conjecture. I suspect the Ducks expected more scoring, although he always was the same player. In his final 2 season in NY, Hagelin averaged .22 gpg game, and .44 ppg. There's been a good deal of consternation about the deal, but he does have two cup rings, and he's been a big part of the team. He a catalyst player. Just like Rust. They set the tone with their speed.

Over the last two seasons, Rust has averaged .22 gpg. and .52 ppg. Below are Hagelin's stats while with the Rangers, and Rust's with the Pens. The 16 goals in 58 playoff games really stick out, especially when you're aware that 7 of them came in elimination games. I'm sure the Pens are hopeful Rust can push his goal total up toward 20 a season. He's averaged 18 for every 82 games the last two seasons. Health is an issue, but will always be with someone his size and style.

Hagelin- 266GP 58G 130Pts Playoffs- 73GP 12G 26Pts

Rust- 181GP 33G 79pts Playoffs- 58GP 16G 21Pts

When Hagelin signed his deal, he was a major role player on a very successful team. Same as Rust now. The cap in 2015-16 was $71.4M. So it's gone up about 11.35%. So that $4M salary would equate to $4.45M in relation to it's percentage of the cap today. Which just puts a different perspective on the deals being handed out.

Rust is getting $3.5M for 4 years. $500K less than Hags got 4 years ago. In relation to the cap, it's 78.7% of Hagelin's salary.

This appears to be the going rate around the league for a player of Rust's ilk, in the prime years of his career. You have a choice of either not tendering him and losing him, or tendering him, and losing in arbitration. Or sign him to give you some certainty. He played the last two seasons for $675K. It was time to get paid. Next up will be Guentzel. The Pens chose to walk away from Sheahan and Kuhnhackel when faced with the same choice. The key is for the Pens to find the players who will produce for dirt cheap as the previous kids graduate into their adult contracts. Which is what they hope to do with the signings of Sprong and Simon, as well as the talk of Blueger getting a shot.

I hope I didn't get too involved with all the math. I was just trying to get some sort of grasp of the increasing cap's impact on relative salaries. I also believe Hagelin is a decent comparable, although Rust has proven capable of playing either wing. I know the Hagelin contract is not anyone's favorite, but it's what somebody thought he was worth, and the Pens have never balked at it either. Us and the writers complain a lot though. :) The thing is, the Rust contract is quite a bit better than the Hagelin deal was 4 years ago. For what it's worth.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Cow_Master66 on Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:00 am

There’s also the small detail that he would need replaced. We would have had to overpay for someone else. That’s a factor I think a lot of people don’t take into consideration.
Cow_Master66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:57 am

Lot of talk out there that Grabner is going to return to the Rangers......
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby lemieuxReturns on Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:18 am

Jim wrote:

LOL. Exactly!
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens2005 on Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:24 am

Jim wrote:WHAT?!?!?! Just when Rutherford does some smart moves... he poo's the bed.

Lol what? He's 26 and is perfect for this team!
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Cow_Master66 on Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:35 am

pens2005 wrote:
Jim wrote:WHAT?!?!?! Just when Rutherford does some smart moves... he poo's the bed.

Lol what? He's 26 and is perfect for this team!

Yeppers! :fist:
Cow_Master66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Hatrick on Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:30 pm

longtimefan wrote:You can't discount the effect of the cap on salaries. The cap originally was $39.8M in 2005-06, and it was $56.7M when the Pens won in 2009. Now it's $79.5, so it's essentially doubled since its inception. So a $2M cap hit in 2005-06 amounts to about $4M now.

I think a good comparable for Rust is a 26 year old Hagelin. We are very familiar with both, and their games have a lot of similarities. After the 2014-15 season, the Rangers traded Hagelin because he was an RFA they couldn't afford. It's also possible the volatility of arbitration was involved, although I don't know that. It certainly was in Rust's case. The Rangers traded Hagelin to the Ducks. There are those in New York who view it as the beginning of the end of the Rangers run which saw them reach the conference finals 3 times in 4 years, and the finals once. His speed was seen as a key component. After the trade, the Ducks quickly signed Hagelin to the 4 yr/16M contract we continue to complain about. :) A part of any contract is conjecture. I suspect the Ducks expected more scoring, although he always was the same player. In his final 2 season in NY, Hagelin averaged .22 gpg game, and .44 ppg. There's been a good deal of consternation about the deal, but he does have two cup rings, and he's been a big part of the team. He a catalyst player. Just like Rust. They set the tone with their speed.

Over the last two seasons, Rust has averaged .22 gpg. and .52 ppg. Below are Hagelin's stats while with the Rangers, and Rust's with the Pens. The 16 goals in 58 playoff games really stick out, especially when you're aware that 7 of them came in elimination games. I'm sure the Pens are hopeful Rust can push his goal total up toward 20 a season. He's averaged 18 for every 82 games the last two seasons. Health is an issue, but will always be with someone his size and style.

Hagelin- 266GP 58G 130Pts Playoffs- 73GP 12G 26Pts

Rust- 181GP 33G 79pts Playoffs- 58GP 16G 21Pts

When Hagelin signed his deal, he was a major role player on a very successful team. Same as Rust now. The cap in 2015-16 was $71.4M. So it's gone up about 11.35%. So that $4M salary would equate to $4.45M in relation to it's percentage of the cap today. Which just puts a different perspective on the deals being handed out.

Rust is getting $3.5M for 4 years. $500K less than Hags got 4 years ago. In relation to the cap, it's 78.7% of Hagelin's salary.

This appears to be the going rate around the league for a player of Rust's ilk, in the prime years of his career. You have a choice of either not tendering him and losing him, or tendering him, and losing in arbitration. Or sign him to give you some certainty. He played the last two seasons for $675K. It was time to get paid. Next up will be Guentzel. The Pens chose to walk away from Sheahan and Kuhnhackel when faced with the same choice. The key is for the Pens to find the players who will produce for dirt cheap as the previous kids graduate into their adult contracts. Which is what they hope to do with the signings of Sprong and Simon, as well as the talk of Blueger getting a shot.

I hope I didn't get too involved with all the math. I was just trying to get some sort of grasp of the increasing cap's impact on relative salaries. I also believe Hagelin is a decent comparable, although Rust has proven capable of playing either wing. I know the Hagelin contract is not anyone's favorite, but it's what somebody thought he was worth, and the Pens have never balked at it either. Us and the writers complain a lot though. :) The thing is, the Rust contract is quite a bit better than the Hagelin deal was 4 years ago. For what it's worth.

Hagelin is probably the best comparable but as you said the contract isnt most peoples favorite. The cap going up certainly continues to inflate salaries but I am not sure it evenly distributes the increases, i.e in some sports the stars might get a bigger increase than the role guys(or vice versa). Personallly for that much salary I would have just let it go to arbitration(or signed a shorter deal if he would take a reasonable figure for 3years)

as you stated, guentzel is up next. If rust got 3.5m can only imagine how high guentzel salary is gonna get now as long as he continues to get even better. 6? even more?
Hatrick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Malkintent on Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:55 pm

How did the Bolts get Kucherov to resign for under $5 million?
Malkintent
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Please help my dog https://www.gofundme.com/sumdm7d8

Postby murphydump55 on Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:01 pm

He poo is the bed? Or does the poo own something? Apostrophes thrown around like money at JJ.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins