Penguins prospect Jordy Bellerive involved in accident

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Penguins prospect Jordy Bellerive involved in accident

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:04 pm

This isn't sounding good. Details are very scarce at the moment, but Penguins prospect Jordy Bellerive, along with teammate Ryan Vandervlis, and former Lethbridge player Matt Alfaro were involved in some type of accident/incident last night. Press release from his Junior team:

FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Penguins prospect Jordy Bellerive involved in accident

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:06 am

More details have come out through Lethbridge newspapers/radio that Bellerive and the 2 others were injured in a fire at a bachelor party. One of the 3 players is said to be in critical condition.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Skatingpen on Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:14 am

Sad
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:34 am

Yohe spoke to GMJR this morning. No new info on Bellerive (or the other 2) as of this morning.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:28 am

Jason Mackey reports he is being told Bellerive IS NOT the person listed in critical condition.

Penguins also released a brief statement, just stating they have been in contact with Jordy.

https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/penguins-monitoring-prospect-jordy-bellerive-following-incident/c-299089886?partnerId=pit-twt-penguins
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ville5 on Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:11 pm

Word is someone, not the injured parties, threw a substance into a fire pit at the bachelor party.
Rumors are circulating on social media that the substance was gasoline.
Rumors also circulating on social media that Jordy's hand is severely burned.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:25 pm

I haven't seen anything about Jordys hand. I did read that the player in critical condition has been placed in a medical induced coma. Still no word as to whether it is Alfaro or Vandervlis, however, there are a few reports that the critical injured person is Vandervlis.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ville5 on Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:42 pm

There's an unsubstantiated post in the Penguins section on hfboards. That's why I put rumored. Also, posted 4 hours ago-
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/w ... -1.4710042
According to Calgary EMS, the incident happened shortly before midnight on Friday. Emergency crews received reports of multiple patients being injured and intercepted a private vehicle carrying three adult men on the outskirts of Calgary.

EMS said the patients — one in serious condition, one in serious, potentially life-threatening condition, and one in critical life-threatening condition — where rushed to Foothills hospital by ambulance.

Early Sunday afternoon, Cochrane RCMP said in a media release three people were injured Friday night when a "substance was placed in a fire pit that caused an explosion" in the Bearspaw area west of Calgary.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ville5 on Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:43 pm

Thoughts and prayers to all involved.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby LimerickPensFan on Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:14 am

LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby stonewizard51 on Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:23 am

ville5 wrote:Thoughts and prayers to all involved.

^^^^ Ditto.
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:44 am

My next question will be, is he going to be able to participate in development camp after the draft, and/or prospects tournament and/or training camp. We've been told he will make a full recovery, but no details have been released on his injury or recovery time. All that is back burner stuff right now with someone still in critical condition, but those are some team related issues.

If one of Brassard or Sheahan were not on the roster, I would think Bellerive would be in the conversation to make this team if he has another training camp like he did last year. Unfortunately, he doesn't turn 20 until May, so, as the team currently stands, he is likely to head back to Lethbridge this season.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Daniel on Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:01 am

FLPensFan wrote:My next question will be, is he going to be able to participate in development camp after the draft, and/or prospects tournament and/or training camp. We've been told he will make a full recovery, but no details have been released on his injury or recovery time. All that is back burner stuff right now with someone still in critical condition, but those are some team related issues.

If one of Brassard or Sheahan were not on the roster, I would think Bellerive would be in the conversation to make this team if he has another training camp like he did last year. Unfortunately, he doesn't turn 20 until May, so, as the team currently stands, he is likely to head back to Lethbridge this season.

In all fairness, if ville5 is correct and the least injured is in "serious condition" and the injury is a burn, I'd be hard pressed to see him in action anytime soon.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:04 am

FLPensFan wrote:My next question will be, is he going to be able to participate in development camp after the draft, and/or prospects tournament and/or training camp. We've been told he will make a full recovery, but no details have been released on his injury or recovery time. All that is back burner stuff right now with someone still in critical condition, but those are some team related issues.

Does the organization view Bellerive as a Center or as someone who is better suited to play wing at the NHL level? He's marginally taller and a little heavier than Guentzel, and we all know Sullivan's stance on playing Jake at Center.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:06 am

pens_CT wrote:

Does the organization view Bellerive as a Center or as someone who is better suited to play wing at the NHL level? He's marginally taller and a little heavier than Guentzel, and we all know Sullivan's stance on playing Jake at Center.

I have not heard anything about his playing position. I assume center, since that is his natural position and we haven't heard anything from the team about where they expect him to play. That is likely because he isn't yet under team control (still playing at Lethbridge vs AHL).
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens_CT on Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:31 am

FLPensFan wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

I have not heard anything about his playing position. I assume center, since that is his natural position and we haven't heard anything from the team about where they expect him to play. That is likely because he isn't yet under team control (still playing at Lethbridge vs AHL).

Guentzel was a center in college at Nebraska-Omaha and Sullivan didn't want any part of him playing that position in the NHL. We will have to see with Bellerive when he gets to the AHL or NHL level but I wouldn't be shocked if he isn't moved to wing. Of course a lot of things could happen to change that situation.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:48 pm

So, here is today's update on the situation:

According to a new statement by the team, in conjunction with several others, the 3 players were not at a bachelor party. They were at a get together hosted by former teammate Tyler Wong. There was Tyler and 9 other former teammates (or current Lethbridge players) at the gathering. The intention was for the players to stay at the residence Friday night, and then attend a golfing and camping outing the next day.

In the statement released by the Wong family, it appears the players were igniting a bonfire when the fire/explosion occurred. They don't say this, but I'm guessing either a fire starting type device (duraflame log, something similar) or gasoline was used to help ignite the fire, and that is what caused the issue.

According to the team, Bellerive and Alfaro are still in the hospital in stable condition. No word on their specific injuries, severity/location of burns, etc. Vandervlis is in a medically induced coma with severe burns to his body, and is still in critical condition.

If you saw the RCMP report of how they "intercepted a private vehicle," Wong's family reacted quickly to the situation and immediately got all 3 injured players into a car and headed straight for the hospital, and EMT/ambulance met/caught up to them along the way.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby interstorm on Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:19 pm

If one builds a bonfire with gasoline they're setting themselves up for a disaster. The air itself (especially pockets of it trapped under the wood to be burned) can be set on fire. For anyone who doesn't know this, please keep that in mind when building your own bonfires.

https://youtu.be/Yig_zO8a35U

(and to those who have done this in the past and haven't had a bad experience -- consider yourself lucky and don't try it again)
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:52 pm

Gasoline isn't flammable, it's explosive. Kerosene is flammable.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Cow_Master66 on Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:39 pm

interstorm wrote:If one builds a bonfire with gasoline they're setting themselves up for a disaster. The air itself (especially pockets of it trapped under the wood to be burned) can be set on fire. For anyone who doesn't know this, please keep that in mind when building your own bonfires.

(and to those who have done this in the past and haven't had a bad experience -- consider yourself lucky and don't try it again)

Yep...this is a very stupid act, but one that a lot of younger "kids" make! Hopefully everyone makes a full recovery!

I haven't been to a bachelor party forever :thumbdown:
Cow_Master66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:27 pm

Cow_Master66 wrote:
interstorm wrote:If one builds a bonfire with gasoline they're setting themselves up for a disaster. The air itself (especially pockets of it trapped under the wood to be burned) can be set on fire. For anyone who doesn't know this, please keep that in mind when building your own bonfires.

Yep...this is a very stupid act, but one that a lot of younger "kids" make! Hopefully everyone makes a full recovery!

I haven't been to a bachelor party forever :thumbdown:

Just for clarification, there have been rumors that gasoline was used. That has not been confirmed.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ville5 on Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:11 pm

Bellevire suffered very severe burns.
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/peng ... 1806190098
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby murphydump55 on Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:58 am

Jim wrote:Gasoline isn't flammable, it's explosive. Kerosene is flammable.

Gasoline is flammable. In its liquid state it will not burn and will only ignite when it vapourizes into a gaseous state. All flammable liquids give off vapours, it’s just a matter of being between the LEL and the UEL.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby ville5 on Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:58 pm

Ryan Vandervlis out of coma. Fundraising has begun. All the best in your continued battle.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:35 am

Bellerive has been released from the hospital today.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins