Nick Boynton- Players' article~ Everything's Not O.K.

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Nick Boynton- Players' article~ Everything's Not O.K.

Postby penny lane on Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:10 am

penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,099
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: The boys are back!

Re: Nick Boynton- Players' article~ Everything's Not O.K.

Postby Skatingpen on Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:41 am

Super sad and more and more common. In now way to diminish this mans struggle but I honestly feel more and more “common” men and women go through the same things, maybe not as sever but believe me, depression and anxiety in everywhere and in a lot of people, including me. I really think it is in your genes and people that don’t have it can’t understand it and probably never will. How many times people have said to me just don’t worry about it, we’ll when you can’t not worry about it it is not that easy. I imagine brain injuries in people who already have the gene makes it that much worse. JMO.....
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,934
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:13 pm

Re: Nick Boynton- Players' article~ Everything's Not O.K.

Postby Southern Fan on Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:42 pm

Sad. And this whole thing will continue for years to come. Don’t see the powers in control changing
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,940
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:51 am

Re: Nick Boynton- Players' article~ Everything's Not O.K.

Postby Skatingpen on Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:50 pm

Southern Fan wrote:Sad. And this whole thing will continue for years to come. Don’t see the powers in control changing

Changing what? Just curious
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,934
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:13 pm

Re: Nick Boynton- Players' article~ Everything's Not O.K.

Postby Southern Fan on Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:33 am

Shots to the head are ejections and suspensions for a start.

Hard to read the whole Boynton thing but I think he mentioned the subtleties of the blind side shots.

I still marvel at former players have had concussions repeatedly were saying the Aston-Reese hit was okay. (Savard)
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,940
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:51 am

Re: Nick Boynton- Players' article~ Everything's Not O.K.

Postby Skatingpen on Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:41 pm

Southern Fan wrote:Shots to the head are ejections and suspensions for a start.

Hard to read the whole Boynton thing but I think he mentioned the subtleties of the blind side shots.

I still marvel at former players have had concussions repeatedly were saying the Aston-Reese hit was okay. (Savard)



Agree!
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,934
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:13 pm

Re: Nick Boynton- Players' article~ Everything's Not O.K.

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:01 pm

Skatingpen wrote:
Southern Fan wrote:Shots to the head are ejections and suspensions for a start.

Hard to read the whole Boynton thing but I think he mentioned the subtleties of the blind side shots.

I still marvel at former players have had concussions repeatedly were saying the Aston-Reese hit was okay. (Savard)



Agree!

Disagree, but close. Shots to the head are an automatic penalty (minor at least, major possible), and all headshots are reviewed for intent. Any possibility of intent garners a 2 game suspension. No intent draws a fine, however, repeated (say, 3) "accidental" head shots still draws a suspension. If you are continually getting accidental penalties, that's a pattern that the player needs to fix.

I believe the current international rule is all shots to the head are a penalty, no exceptions.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,616
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Nick Boynton- Players' article~ Everything's Not O.K.

Postby Skatingpen on Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:47 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Skatingpen wrote:
Southern Fan wrote:Shots to the head are ejections and suspensions for a start.

Hard to read the whole Boynton thing but I think he mentioned the subtleties of the blind side shots.

I still marvel at former players have had concussions repeatedly were saying the Aston-Reese hit was okay. (Savard)



Agree!

Disagree, but close. Shots to the head are an automatic penalty (minor at least, major possible), and all headshots are reviewed for intent. Any possibility of intent garners a 2 game suspension. No intent draws a fine, however, repeated (say, 3) "accidental" head shots still draws a suspension. If you are continually getting accidental penalties, that's a pattern that the player needs to fix.

I believe the current international rule is all shots to the head are a penalty, no exceptions.



Maybe I am missing the same game, shots to the head are hardly ever called eccept the day after when no discipline is handed down
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,934
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:13 pm

Re: Nick Boynton- Players' article~ Everything's Not O.K.

Postby Humperdink on Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:32 am

The NHL needs to follow the NCAA's (football) lead regarding targeting/head shots. Referees immediately review the video and make a determination as the severity of the hit.

More and more articles will emerge depicting former players in a diminished mental capacity. The longer the league waits to take significant action, the worse it will get.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,732
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:10 am
Location: Allegheny National Forest


Return to NPR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


e-mail