Kessel trade thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Kessel trade thread

Postby ville5 on Sat May 26, 2018 9:08 pm

All Kessel trade proposals, talk, speculation etc etc. Hopefully it stays Jim free as promised.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Kessel trade thread

Postby ziggo on Sun May 27, 2018 2:42 am

Might as well add Letang, Murray and Sheary, and why should Olli Maatta be exempt just because it's been a couple years.?? :D
ziggo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Sun May 27, 2018 5:57 am

Sully and Phil needs to sort things out, Kessel must STAY in Burgh..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RentedMule66 on Sun May 27, 2018 7:53 am

ziggo wrote:Might as well add Letang, Murray and Sheary, and why should Olli Maatta be exempt just because it's been a couple years.?? :D

Why are we adding Murray?? He's going nowhere.
RentedMule66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Sun May 27, 2018 9:15 am

Kreider plus one of the Ranger's three first round picks for Kessel. In Kreider you get a guy four years younger than Phil, signed for two more seasons at 2.2 mil less of a cap hit, and is more of a Sullivan type of player. Use the cap savings, plus a separate move of Sheary and you can upgrade the blue line in free agency, and maybe add a bottom six forward as well.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby itissteeltime on Sun May 27, 2018 11:15 am

I dont see a scenario where a Kessel trade helps us win now. Hate the idea of moving him.
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Antonio on Sun May 27, 2018 11:24 am

I have no interest in moving him. I like Sullivan but honestly if the problem is we need another "Sullivan" type player then maybe the issue isn't the player. We've already been seeing players pushed out over Sullivan, players not getting a shot over players who have performed badly because of Sullivan, etc. At a certain point, you stop saying we need to remake the entire team in his image. Would I move Kessel? Sure if the deal was right, but I'm not looking to do it. I'd move almost anyone for the right deal.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Faubert5 on Sun May 27, 2018 11:32 am

If we trade Kessel it had better add depth on defense and return a young, promising forward or picks.

Murray is young and he's not going anywhere and I think he bounces back next year. I think Letang is almost untradeable so most of fixing the top end of the blue line would have to involve him getting an sharp increase in hockey IQ. That said, you never who may want him and what might be offered in return.

If they do trade Kessel they better get quite a haul for him. He will contribute next year and he's a great guy. I'd hate to see him go but cap relief and some young talent in the system would take some of the sting out of it.
Faubert5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Postby pens_CT on Sun May 27, 2018 12:17 pm

itissteeltime wrote:I dont see a scenario where a Kessel trade helps us win now. Hate the idea of moving him.

I think the same sentiment was expressed when Neal was traded and how did that work out? The only difference was we never won anything with the Real Deal on the team. He was a one trick offensive pony much like Kessel. Neal has more natural scoring ability than Hornqvist, but 72 brings other elements to the table. If Kessel gets moved it has to be for a guy that brings more than just some offense to the team.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Sun May 27, 2018 2:43 pm

RentedMule66 wrote:
ziggo wrote:Might as well add Letang, Murray and Sheary, and why should Olli Maatta be exempt just because it's been a couple years.?? :D

Why are we adding Murray?? He's going nowhere.

Neither are Letang or Kessel, but that doesn't stop us from talking about it.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Sun May 27, 2018 2:45 pm

pens_CT wrote:
itissteeltime wrote:I dont see a scenario where a Kessel trade helps us win now. Hate the idea of moving him.

I think the same sentiment was expressed when Neal was traded and how did that work out? The only difference was we never won anything with the Real Deal on the team. He was a one trick offensive pony much like Kessel. Neal has more natural scoring ability than Hornqvist, but 72 brings other elements to the table. If Kessel gets moved it has to be for a guy that brings more than just some offense to the team.

:thumb: :fist:
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby IntangibleBeer on Sun May 27, 2018 4:15 pm

I'm sorry, but the whole idea of trading Phil Kessel is just plain nuts! :scared: :scared: :scared:

The guy had a career year, he's helped the Pens win 2 Stanley Cups, and he's more focused than ever. :thumb:

We have some defensive needs and those should be addressed. But breaking up the team is a knee jerk reaction. Sorry. :face:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby itissteeltime on Sun May 27, 2018 4:18 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

Maybe that was your sentiment. Neal is nowhere near the player Phil is.
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Daniel on Sun May 27, 2018 4:25 pm

IntangibleBeer wrote:I'm sorry, but the whole idea of trading Phil Kessel is just plain nuts! :scared: :scared: :scared:

The guy had a career year, he's helped the Pens win 2 Stanley Cups, and he's more focused than ever. :thumb:

We have some defensive needs and those should be addressed. But breaking up the team is a knee jerk reaction. Sorry. :face:

It might be, but letting the team become the 1982 Steelers (the entire team got old at once) is a recipe for disaster.

It's going to be impossible to replace Sid and Geno until they retire, but you can certainly attempt to replace Phil and Letang via trade and maybe retool when Sid/Geno retire rather than full rebuild.

Do you really want to see Geno, Sid, Letang, Horngvist, Hagelin, Phil, and maybe a handful of others decline at once? To me, that's how you end up having to replace the entire roster at once and leads to 5-6 lottery years. As far as I'm concerned, Geno and Sid are the only untouchables with Hornqvist right behind them (and only for 2-3 years). If you can get 5 players/picks for Letang, Phil, Hagelin, I say go for it. Just make sure you get at least 2-3 blue chip prospects out of the deals.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ville5 on Sun May 27, 2018 4:34 pm

I'm ok with Hagelin for another year. The stretch he had with Geno in the 2nd half was lights out. Finish the last year of his contract and resign him for 2-3 years at closer to $3 million. If he's not amenable to something close to that, see ya.
I'd also like to see Grabner brought in. I think Jimmy had interest at the deadline before he snagged Brassard.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens_CT on Sun May 27, 2018 6:58 pm

itissteeltime wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

Well the career numbers say Neal averages 0.37 goals/game versus 0.36 goals/game for Phil. Neal averages 0.70 points/game versus 0.81 for Phil. Both are perimeter players, Neal will throw a check, while Phil will cash his thank you very much.

I'm not a Kessel hater, and I don't see a reason to trade him just for the sake of making a deal. If the Pens can get younger, add a player that isn't so one dimensional, and free up some cap space that helps add other pieces to the team you have to consider it.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby 100565 on Sun May 27, 2018 7:13 pm

Trading Kessel would depend on the return.

I would do something like Kessel for Christian Fischer and Christian Dvorak as a basis of a trade. The Pens get younger, add a power forward type and a speedy 2 way player, and gain cap space.
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Daniel on Sun May 27, 2018 8:05 pm

pens_CT wrote:
itissteeltime wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

Well the career numbers say Neal averages 0.37 goals/game versus 0.36 goals/game for Phil. Neal averages 0.70 points/game versus 0.81 for Phil. Both are perimeter players, Neal will throw a check, while Phil will cash his thank you very much.

I'm not a Kessel hater, and I don't see a reason to trade him just for the sake of making a deal. If the Pens can get younger, add a player that isn't so one dimensional, and free up some cap space that helps add other pieces to the team you have to consider it.

You left out Phils .90 points/game versus .55 points/game and .38 goals/game versus .30 goals/game in the playoffs. :P 8-)

Neal also seems to do better in October/November/December

17 out of 27 goals in 2013-14
13 out of 23 goals in 2014-15
15 out of 31 goals in 2015-16 (most consistent season)
14 out of 23 goals in 2016-17
17 out of 25 goals in 2017-18
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sun May 27, 2018 8:52 pm

Best rumor heard today by a "rumor" guy: Nashville and Pittsburgh are in discussions with Kessel for Subban. Pittsburgh is said to be looking for defense for Kessel.

I'd love to have PK Subban on this team. There is no way I see Nashville trading Subban for Kessel. There is no way I see Mike Sullivan getting along with Subban, if he can't get along with Cole, Reaves, and Kessel.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens_CT on Sun May 27, 2018 8:59 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Best rumor heard today by a "rumor" guy: Nashville and Pittsburgh are in discussions with Kessel for Subban. Pittsburgh is said to be looking for defense for Kessel.

I'd love to have PK Subban on this team. There is no way I see Nashville trading Subban for Kessel. There is no way I see Mike Sullivan getting along with Subban, if he can't get along with Cole, Reaves, and Kessel.

Getting beyond the Subban part which makes zero sense, if they are interested in a defensemen for Kessel what does that say about Letang's future? They aren't trading Kessel for a third pairing defensemen who sees 10-12 minutes of ice time per game.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RentedMule66 on Sun May 27, 2018 9:12 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Best rumor heard today by a "rumor" guy: Nashville and Pittsburgh are in discussions with Kessel for Subban. Pittsburgh is said to be looking for defense for Kessel.

I'd be all over that trade. No way I see Nashville doing it though. If HCMS can't get along with all these players, then maybe he's the problem (2 cups or not).
RentedMule66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Sun May 27, 2018 9:16 pm

RentedMule66 wrote:

I'd be all over that trade. No way I see Nashville doing it though. If HCMS can't get along with all these players, then maybe he's the problem (2 cups or not).

You really want to spend another 9 million per season on the blue line?
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RentedMule66 on Sun May 27, 2018 9:35 pm

pens_CT wrote:
RentedMule66 wrote:

You really want to spend another 9 million per season on the blue line?

yes
RentedMule66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Malkintent on Sun May 27, 2018 9:42 pm

Letang, Subban and Schultz are all RD. Which one of them are you paying $5-9 million to play on the third pairing?
Malkintent
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Please help my dog https://www.gofundme.com/sumdm7d8

Postby RentedMule66 on Sun May 27, 2018 10:08 pm

Malkintent wrote:Letang, Subban and Schultz are all RD. Which one of them are you paying $5-9 million to play on the third pairing?

I'M not paying anything, the Pens are. You are all too funny like you are spending your own money for these players. All I'm saying is I'd love PK on the team for a trade with Kessel. Not my job to figure out who plays where with whom and how to make the money work. The team needs defensive help in a big way. Not my job to make it happen. All I'm saying is I'd trade Kessel for him. Everyone else is speculating ridiculous players coming to this team.....making trades to get the #1 pick or #5 pick....adding Dahlin, Carlson, JVR, Bozak, Staal, Tavares, Pacioretty ad nauseum!!!!! None of this is gonna happen!!! Just said I'd make that trade...I'll let everyone else make the stupid line speculations that are EA Sports pipe dreams and never happen!!!
RentedMule66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins