SCP18 Game 6 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

SCP18 Game 6 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Tue May 08, 2018 8:30 am

Pens lose 2-1 and the series 4-2

- It has been my pleasure starting the morning after threads..... win or lose.... but playoff ending games make for very tough posts.... bring it!
- Very curious to find out what the injuries were, because they definitely played a part in this series. My predictions... Geno & Phil, and that killed us
- Pens looked slow, tight and tentative early on, unlike year's past... they could not seem to get the legs going to feed the wolf
- Losing to a goal by "the birdman" from Russia..... He's quickly climbing my list of players who I enjoy disliking... hell, I can say it..... hating.
- Murray let in a weak one, then gave up a goal the same way to birdman. Yep, he deserves PART of the blame, but he can't score goals.... and you need those to win
- Kuhnhackl's goalpost is still ringing in my ears, especially since I had called him out as the unlikely OT hero :shock:
- Dumoulin was a beast last night, he had an extra gear and the puck was like a magnet to his stick.... great game
- Caps will not defeat the Bolts (without Wilson goonery). They are looking f.i.n.e. & losing now would be less painful then losing next round (weak excuse, but I'm using it)
- I never liked Brassard & I hated the trade. Brassard didn't get it done come playoffs & I felt he should have been playing 4th line from game 1 of the playoffs. HCMS's only miscue?
- I remember feeling so crushed after the Volek goal during the last 3 peat attempt, this one is not as bad, at least for me.
- Gotta give the refs credit, they did not screw this game up
- On the CBC feed just before puck drop, it showed Caps Stephenson using smelling salts, then handing to..... Pierre McGuire? wtf (bad mojo sign #1)
- Right after that, CBC feed showed Horny taking the red pill (obviously, he needed the blue one) (bad mojo sign #2)
- Chad Ruhwedel was fine, he was supposed to be the weak link, but he held fine. Would of rather had Cole mind you, but you can't hang this on Chad (some might actually get that)
- Throwing my support behind the VGK for the rest of the way, MAF deserves another shot (and would it have not been awkward should the Pens have played them)
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: SCP18 Game 6 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby bsgg-penguinsbrazil on Tue May 08, 2018 8:51 am

Hell of a run. The effort was there, if a couple bounces have gone our way, we might be heading to Tampa. Nothing to complain about this team, resign the right guys, bring some depth in D and we are good to go next season. Hoping to see Flower x Kuni in SCF :)
bsgg-penguinsbrazil

Postby Great58 on Tue May 08, 2018 8:59 am

Great run. No complaints. Pens were emotionally worn out, they couldn't muster the desperation that was needed to survive an elimination game.
Losing this round saves me a lot of money, so I will accept that for what it is. In my mind the Pens could have found another gear and anything could have happened in the ECF, but I know that's not true. This year was just too far uphill on tired legs.
I think Brassard will be a good fit with this team, but his injury coupled with Phil's apparent injury and Sheary's inability to fine the back of the net left that line unable to contribute.
Geno didn't do much 5 on 5 after returning from his injury, although he seemed to skate fine.

Go Boltz, I can get behind their skill and Kuni. Go VGK for obvious reasons. Go Jets for obvious reasons, Nashville fans are the worst.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ziggo on Tue May 08, 2018 9:04 am

No secondary scoring from the forwards. Justin Schultz and Brian Dumoulin outscored, Brassard, Sheary, Rust, Hagelin, Sheahan and the whole 4th line. They were only one and two points behind Malkin and Kessel. Kessel had one goal. One. Letang scored some but gave up just as many. It's hard for me to blame everything on Murray. He gave up a few soft ones but he kept them in most of the games and had two shutouts.
ziggo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jreed on Tue May 08, 2018 9:04 am

Agreed most points. I still liked the Brassard trade but it definitely didn't make a difference this post season.

Would like to see Tampa Bay and Vegas battle it out and some ex-Pens get some more hardware. Speaking of TB, how about Dan Girardi? I mentioned him when he was waived over the summer and thought it might be a decent attempt to get some value for cheap. He's played pretty well in the regular season and playoffs this year. Could have been a nice veteran presence on the blue line.
jreed
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby ziggo on Tue May 08, 2018 9:06 am

Washington and Ovechkin is going to win the Stanley Cup. You heard it here first. The fix is in.
ziggo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Southern Fan on Tue May 08, 2018 9:07 am

Right now there are 26 teams that would trade places with the Pens to have the last three seasons. In five weeks, that number will increase to 30.

Ditto on the birdman. That celebration is pathetic. Only thing worse is him doing it at home with the obnoxious siren, light show after a goal.

Sheary is a smurf. Good when he is on a streak. But that hit he tried to put on Oshie where he bounced off him was laughable. Trade him and then we can sign the great Ian Cole for the 6 year $40 million contract he deserves.

I really hope that Murray is nursing a bad left shoulder. You know it's a bad night when the horrible Caps fourth line scores the only regulation goal.

Playoff Brassard > Brassard we saw. But Brassard we saw >>>Rowney. This one's on GMJR for not addressing in off season. Rowney and McKegg to start the season. Ugh.

Sullivan faith in Kessel was disturbing. No one defensively was worried about his shot and stick handling. Very unfortunate.

I hope when Wilson destroys someone's career, its not a Pen.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Tue May 08, 2018 9:07 am

April 24, 2015- last time the pens were eliminated from a series.
Just read our day after thoughts~ Fleury will never win in OT- Johnston a good coach.

Holtby made the saves! Pucks that in other times got through, luck or bad position, did not.

Salute to Sid; did all to keep pushing the team on. Face offs, all ice coverage.
Evgeni- injured but if not for him in January... ?
Kristopher Letang- easy target . I'm happy for him, he got through the season - healthy.

The trades ? Somebody fell in love with a player and didn't consider that age old thing, chemistry.

Caps- last night was their cup final.

I'll take to Heaven all of the plays from the 2 Cups. But, I want more!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BB on Tue May 08, 2018 9:26 am

Thanks, Penspal for the best game summaries anywhere.
Hard to be down about this other than it feels like they could’ve at least gotten to Gm7.
Go Flower! Let’s Go Pens!
BB
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Tue May 08, 2018 9:31 am

How fitting it was to see an out of position Letang chasing down the player who would score the game winner to end our season. Sully's admiration of big contract guys is his only weak link.

It all comes down to the fact that we just didn't have the fire power of the last 2 seasons. No surprise scorer. No Rust. No Sheary. No Cullen or Bonino. No one stepped up and the team was clearly out of gas.

It was a great run.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Tue May 08, 2018 9:37 am

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2018/04/30/c ... si-center/

Dear Mario~ seems only right to have all fans have the opportunity to thank the players via paint the ice of the PPG arena?
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Weegie on Tue May 08, 2018 9:44 am

They were too mentally and physically fatigued to pull it off but too buoyant of heart and spirit to quit, they tried with all they had to make it but now we see why no one has done a threepeat in 35 years! Plus they really missed the "glue guys", Kunitz with his physical play and big goal when needed, Bonino on the penalty kill and a goal here and there, Cullen with his veteran leadership and play, Daley, Hainsey and dare I even say Cole from this season, they just didn't have the horses to pull it off but gave it a damn good try. Lots of mistakes on defense, Murray showed he was human and of course the loss of his father and Fleury his almost "father figure" hurt badly, but they did us proud and anyone who complains after winning it all two years in a row, well, take a step back and look at the big picture, these have been heady times for the Penguins and maybe with a tweak here and there and some well needed rest they will be strong again next season.

And if Oshie scores instead of that post shot early in the game they never go to overtime, but if Kuhnackl scores on his post shot in overtime we'd still be talking about this!

You did good boys, real good, thanks for the great years, we look forward to some more from this group again!

'LET'S GO PENS!!!!!"
Weegie
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Steve on Tue May 08, 2018 9:46 am

Penspal wrote:- Kuhnhackl's goalpost is still ringing in my ears, especially since I had called him out as the unlikely OT hero :shock:
- On the CBC feed just before puck drop, it showed Caps Stephenson using smelling salts, then handing to..... Pierre McGuire? wtf (bad mojo sign #1)
- Right after that, CBC feed showed Horny taking the red pill (obviously, he needed the blue one) (bad mojo sign #2)

They also showed this, which I guess he does alot but I've never seen it before:

https://www.nhl.com/penguins/video/kuhnhackl-lip-syncs-lineup/t-277437428/c-60288903
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcmforless on Tue May 08, 2018 9:55 am

Definitely been a hell of a ride the last three years. I got to see 5 Stanley cup finals games in Pittsburgh (all wins) and got to see the Pens hoist the cup in San Jose in person (could have died on the drive home that night and died happy).
I think the Malkin, Brassard, Kessel and Hagelin injuries were enough to slow the momentum and they just plum run out of gas. The healthy players carried them as much as they could, but they certainly were not looking like a healthy team.
Murray did give up some bad ones, and hopefully he can get back on form and have a great season next year.
Always been a Letang fan, but it really is time to move on from him. He gave away games 3 and 5. They should have won both (or at least one of those games) and if they had it would have been over after game five, or at the worst headed to game 7.
They are in great shape already for a great year next year with minor tweaking and rest. So glad to be along for the ride the last three years, let's hope for a good run next year.
pcmforless
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby IntangibleBeer on Tue May 08, 2018 9:55 am

It WAS a hell of a run, wasn't it?
- No one had won back to back cups since the mid-90s.
- Thanks Penspal for doing these summaries. You'll never lose an election because of a hanging Ruhwedl! :wink: :lol:
- Even a blind pig finds an acorn eventually. That was the Capitals in this series. A healthy Penguin squad takes them out in 5.
- After 2+ grueling years on the playoff treadmill, the Pens were just worn down. Add the injuries (pretty sure there are plenty), and this was inevitable.
- I too, was in the Igloo for Volek's OT winner in 1993. I was in a funk for 3 months afterward. This one doesn't hurt as much, either. The Pens structural defects were visible to all of us.
- Off-season things to address: Defense
- This is still a good team with a lot of the pieces. Fix the D, tweak the lines, reload (the rest will do them good) and go after another Cup next year. It can be done.
- I have been rooting for Fleury and Vegas. It would be amazing to see them hoist the Cup in their first year. :fist:

Take care, everyone. Enjoy the summer!
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Tue May 08, 2018 10:10 am

1993 is not a good comparison. The Pens were the far and away the best team in the league that year. They still hold the record for the most consecutive games won. They got stopped by a hot goalie in the playoffs. Healy never played that well at any other time in his career.

This season, the Pens were obviously not the best team in the league. Probably not even top 5.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Steve on Tue May 08, 2018 10:10 am

Thanks for all the threads Penspal.

This series was similar to the last two series, in that a few bounces here or there and we would have a different winner. I do think with the way both teams were banged up, that the last two Pens and Caps teams were far superior to these though.

Still, I'm really shocked that the Pens didn't take this series, on paper it's a fairly big mismatch, but winning the special teams battle and goaltending battle can close that gap as we saw. It's amazing to me though that the Caps won four out of five after game one.

I would take Sully over Trotz every single time, but in this one I would say Trotz and his staff had a better game plan than we did. Overall I think Trotz is overrated, and I really do hope the Caps extend him.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Humperdink on Tue May 08, 2018 10:25 am

Thx Penspal. Enjoyed your post game assessments. Right on the button in all cases.

My disappointment is tempered by the fact that I was not expecting us go all the way. Too many good teams left.

Even though he signed an extension, I half expect GMJR to retire.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NJ Penguins Fan on Tue May 08, 2018 11:19 am

First off Penspal you are the man !!!! After years and years of reading everyone's post you are the reason that I decided to share my thoughts on our beloved Penguins and join the community. I respect your knowledge and enjoy the recaps. Keep up the good work.
Just want to say its tough showing Penguins pride in the middle of Ranger town and now that the Devils are going in the right direction there fans have risen again. I just shut them down when I mention Syl Apps, Jean Pronvost, Ron Stackhouse and of course Gary Innes from the mid 70's. I tell them I have been a fan since 75.
The only thing I hope is to see next year is that Sprong gets a real shot. The talent is there hopefully he can figure out the mental part of being in the NHL.
It has been a great run. Next season can't come soon enough.

LET'S GO PENS.
NJ Penguins Fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby GenoSidStaalsy on Tue May 08, 2018 11:45 am

Can anyone find a video of the crowd giving the team an ovation post game? Their performance the last two years merited a 10 minute standing ovation, at least.
GenoSidStaalsy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Durbano on Tue May 08, 2018 11:49 am

Penspal, thanks for the morning-after threads. I thought of the 2016-17 season as a victory lap, and then thought of the 2017-18 season as a bonus victory lap -- and these threads have been a big part of the enjoyment.

Going back many years right up through last night's postgame interviews, Sid has regularly mentioned how difficult it is to advance, and how one play or one call or one bounce can change the outcome of a game or series. That's my first thought today, but not as it pertains to the Caps series.

Think back to the Bonino-Bonino-Bonino game. Near the end of regulation, Washington was on a power play and AO barely missed the top left corner (by a few inches at most) on a shot Murray didn't see. He scores there and who knows about game seven. Those Pens were resilient but going on the road after blowing a 3-0 lead at home would've been tough.

In the next round, we all remember the video review that negated Tampa's would-be opening goal in game six. Again a matter of inches or less, and if goes the other way, who knows.

Not hating on Murray -- no, really -- but if he doesn't get hurt in warm-ups last year, I think the Pens are possibly gone in the first round and definitely gone in the second. Not because MURRAY SUCKS but because MAF was otherworldly in key spots in both series.

Any OT game obviously can go either way. Double OT against Ottawa, anyone?

The quick whistle in game six in Nashville. Didn't decide the game (and the refs certainly tried to make up for it) but that was quite fortunate.

The Pens were worthy champions but they caught their share of breaks along the way, and earned their share, too. Their luck and their energy ran out this time.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby brwi on Tue May 08, 2018 12:18 pm

Thanks x2 Penspal for these day after threads, always enjoyable reading!

Just wasn't going to be a 3-peat this time and this is one worn-out group that needs a vacation, and maybe 2 or 3 surgeries too. Some of the roster tweaks can be discussed and will all summer, but for now, thanks Penguins for an outstanding run of greatness.

After a real Cup hangover that lasted half the season, Pens started to have some entertaining games and get red-hot enough to at least get a chance in the post season, but I thought going in they'd squeak by the Caps only to have TB do them in. I had lower expectations this year than the last two for sure, but it was a helluva ride anyway.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Penspal on Tue May 08, 2018 1:05 pm

IntangibleBeer wrote:It WAS a hell of a run, wasn't it? Yes, it most certainly was!

- Thanks Penspal for doing these summaries. You'll never lose an election because of a hanging Ruhwedl! :wink: :lol: Your welcome and thank you for getting the little joke and recognizing it!

Take care, everyone. Enjoy the summer!
Ditto!
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mayday56 on Tue May 08, 2018 1:13 pm

Thanx Penspal......I think the loss of the Flower along with dad and kuni hurt this team the most. they were glue guys and were sorely missed in the locker room. Fatigue both mentally and physically from going all the way the last 2 years was also a major factor. Throw in the injury's that have yet to be announced and I think you have the perfect storm. Its a wonder they went as far as they did...Lets Go Pens!!!!
mayday56
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Weegie on Tue May 08, 2018 2:32 pm

I posted my thoughts earlier but I just thought of this, it might make you feel better or at least bring half a smile to your face.....

"As hard as it was to lose to the Craps at least we didn't lose to the Cryers!!!!!" :P :fist:

It was a helluva ride and I don't think the car is broken down yet, just needs some repairs and a little low on gas but there's a gas station up the road , "LET'S GO PENS!!!!!!"
Weegie
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins