2018 Summer Game Plan

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2018 Summer Game Plan

Postby KG on Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:18 am

FLPensFan wrote:According to Jason Mackey's chat with Rutherford today, the Penguins plan to try Brassard at wing in the top 6. Nothing set in stone that he will definitely be playing there when the season starts or all season, but it is Rutherford/Sullivan's idea to test Brassard at wing in training camp/preseason:

--“That is one option that the coaching staff has talked about,” Rutherford said of Brassard in a top-six role.

--“He’s got the skill level to do it,” Rutherford said of Brassard. “That’s one side of it. The other side of it, he’s never played the wing.

--“When you try something, it doesn’t mean you have to stick with it. You try it. It may work. It may not.”

--“If I had a chance to sign another center who could play wing, I’d do that,” Rutherford said. “It just gives you more depth and more options for the coach.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/penguins/2018/07/12/Penguins-top-six-wing-Derick-Brassard-Jim-Rutherford/stories/201807120216

If Brassard is going to be a top 6 winger, I'd rather just move him for an actual winger who has played actual wing before. Skinner actually plays all 3 forward positions (though he doesn't play much center anymore).....Charlie Coyle plays more wing now, but he started as a center in the NHL. There are probably several more wing/center guys out there available. If Brassard plays likely looking at something like this:

Guentzel-Crosby-Sprong/Simon
Brassard-Malkin-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Sheahan-Kessel
ZAR-Cullen-Rust
xHayes

I'm also starting to think the Simon/Sprong thing too might be the best option. Give Sprong 1st shot, sit him when he goes cold or needs to work on things. A platoon between he and Simon wouldn't be the worst thing.....unless Simon gets really hot and keeps Sprong out longer term.

Agreed regarding Brassard. If they aren’t going to use him at C andnthey feel Sheahan can take the next step then just deal a Brassard package for Patch or Skinner. Or someone similar. A solid LW who can play in the top 6.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:19 am

KG wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:According to Jason Mackey's chat with Rutherford today, the Penguins plan to try Brassard at wing in the top 6. Nothing set in stone that he will definitely be playing there when the season starts or all season, but it is Rutherford/Sullivan's idea to test Brassard at wing in training camp/preseason:

--“That is one option that the coaching staff has talked about,” Rutherford said of Brassard in a top-six role.

--“He’s got the skill level to do it,” Rutherford said of Brassard. “That’s one side of it. The other side of it, he’s never played the wing.

--“When you try something, it doesn’t mean you have to stick with it. You try it. It may work. It may not.”

--“If I had a chance to sign another center who could play wing, I’d do that,” Rutherford said. “It just gives you more depth and more options for the coach.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/penguins/2018/07/12/Penguins-top-six-wing-Derick-Brassard-Jim-Rutherford/stories/201807120216

If Brassard is going to be a top 6 winger, I'd rather just move him for an actual winger who has played actual wing before. Skinner actually plays all 3 forward positions (though he doesn't play much center anymore).....Charlie Coyle plays more wing now, but he started as a center in the NHL. There are probably several more wing/center guys out there available. If Brassard plays likely looking at something like this:

Hagelin-Sheahan-Kessel
ZAR-Cullen-Rust
xHayes

I'm also starting to think the Simon/Sprong thing too might be the best option. Give Sprong 1st shot, sit him when he goes cold or needs to work on things. A platoon between he and Simon wouldn't be the worst thing.....unless Simon gets really hot and keeps Sprong out longer term.

Agreed regarding Brassard. If they aren’t going to use him at C and they feel Sheahan can take the next step then just deal a Brassard package for Patch or Skinner. Or someone similar. A solid LW who can play in the top 6.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:56 am

KG wrote:

Hagelin-Sheahan-Kessel
ZAR-Cullen-Rust
xHayes

Agreed regarding Brassard. If they aren’t going to use him at C andnthey feel Sheahan can take the next step then just deal a Brassard package for Patch or Skinner. Or someone similar. A solid LW who can play in the top 6.

This is why I hate the Cullen signing, you have Brassard who is a 2C on virtually every NHL team and you're gonna move him to LW a position he's never played before. Cullen should be playing LW or you should have spent the JJ money on a LW. Playing Brassard there is just stupid.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:22 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
KG wrote:

Hagelin-Sheahan-Kessel
ZAR-Cullen-Rust
xHayes

This is why I hate the Cullen signing, you have Brassard who is a 2C on virtually every NHL team and you're gonna move him to LW a position he's never played before. Cullen should be playing LW or you should have spent the JJ money on a LW. Playing Brassard there is just stupid.

Brassard is one injury away from being a 2nd line Center on this team. Just because they are going to try Brassard at LW doesn't mean that's his new full time position. They want to give themselves some flexibility that Sullivan can use during the course of a game. You need to pace your overreaction there's still two months until training camp. When bored in the middle of July fall back on your strong suit, proposing trades for Letang :).
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby jreed on Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:36 am

This team is loaded with players that can move around in the lineup...not to mention 7 or 8 that can play center. 4 or which are capable of playing on the top 3 lines. Love the flexibility that gives. LW is the forward position with the least depth...if Brassard could play there it would be a huge bonus!
jreed
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jim on Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:44 am

longtimefan wrote:So if they stick with what they have, they've got $745K in cap space if Hayes makes the team, $1.395 if they send him down and they only carry 22 players.

Short of injured players, they can only have 22 players on the roster.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:08 am

Jim wrote:
longtimefan wrote:So if they stick with what they have, they've got $745K in cap space if Hayes makes the team, $1.395 if they send him down and they only carry 22 players.

The maximum roster size (minus injuries ) is 23.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26377
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:17 am

jreed wrote:This team is loaded with players that can move around in the lineup...not to mention 7 or 8 that can play center. 4 or which are capable of playing on the top 3 lines. Love the flexibility that gives. LW is the forward position with the least depth...if Brassard could play there it would be a huge bonus!

I politely disagree with the notion we are "loaded" with players who can move around the lineup.

Crosby and Malkin aren't going to play anything else but center.
Kessel, Hornqvist, and Sprong are all RWs only
Hagelin is a LW only.

Down to Guentzel, Rust, ZAR, Simon, Sheahan, Cullen, Brassard, Hayes.
--Guentzel and Rust CAN play both sides in a pinch, but Guentzel is much more effective on the LW, and Rust much more effective on the RW.
--Brassard has never played wing in his NHL career.

So, you are really down to Simon, Sheahan, Cullen, and I believe Hayes can play both wings. Not as much flexibility as you might have thought.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:31 am

pens_CT wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
KG wrote:

Hagelin-Sheahan-Kessel
ZAR-Cullen-Rust
xHayes

Brassard is one injury away from being a 2nd line Center on this team. Just because they are going to try Brassard at LW doesn't mean that's his new full time position. They want to give themselves some flexibility that Sullivan can use during the course of a game. You need to pace your overreaction there's still two months until training camp. When bored in the middle of July fall back on your strong suit, proposing trades for Letang :).

I get what you are saying, but, Brassard is a luxury that almost no team in the NHL is going to have that type of center depth......and there is a reason for it. Brassard is not a 3C, and hasn't been a 3C for quite some time in this league, and doesn't feel he is a 3C now. He wants more playing time. He dropped that hint on locker cleanout day.

As you say, it is July, so I am willing to wait until camp and the season starts to get concerned. But, I have my suspicions that maybe Rutherford overestimated Brassard's desire to be a 3C. It's kind of like the Murray-Fleury situation. Fleury had never been a backup or a split starter before, and didn't feel he was at the point in his career that he needed to be a backup. I think Brassard is kind of in that same situation. He has an 9 team list of teams that he DID NOT want to be traded to. I'm sure that list was probably teams near the bottom, your Buffalo, Arizona, Carolina types. Hard to judge him with the injury, but, my gut tells me he wants more playing time. Kind of like Reaves, when your minutes are cut by 3-5 minutes a night, it is hard for some players to really get into the flow of the game.

If this is the case with Brassard, I'd try to move him for a true LW, and then go into the season with Sheahan, Cullen, Blueger, with an outside shot Bellerive pushes for a spot, and a guy like Dea, Johnson, and DiPauli on deck down the line if it got to that point.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Jim on Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:16 am

pens_CT wrote:
Jim wrote:

The maximum roster size (minus injuries ) is 23.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26377

That's what I said...

:slug:
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:43 am

Financials not yet released, but Flower personally announced on Twitter via video that he has signed a 3 year extension with Vegas:

https://twitter.com/GoldenKnights/status/1017794856603680768

UPDATE: Hearing 7M AAV on the extension.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens_CT on Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:50 am

FLPensFan wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
KG wrote:

Hagelin-Sheahan-Kessel
ZAR-Cullen-Rust
xHayes

I get what you are saying, but, Brassard is a luxury that almost no team in the NHL is going to have that type of center depth......and there is a reason for it. Brassard is not a 3C, and hasn't been a 3C for quite some time in this league, and doesn't feel he is a 3C now. He wants more playing time. He dropped that hint on locker cleanout day.

As you say, it is July, so I am willing to wait until camp and the season starts to get concerned. But, I have my suspicions that maybe Rutherford overestimated Brassard's desire to be a 3C. It's kind of like the Murray-Fleury situation. Fleury had never been a backup or a split starter before, and didn't feel he was at the point in his career that he needed to be a backup. I think Brassard is kind of in that same situation. He has an 9 team list of teams that he DID NOT want to be traded to. I'm sure that list was probably teams near the bottom, your Buffalo, Arizona, Carolina types. Hard to judge him with the injury, but, my gut tells me he wants more playing time. Kind of like Reaves, when your minutes are cut by 3-5 minutes a night, it is hard for some players to really get into the flow of the game.

If this is the case with Brassard, I'd try to move him for a true LW, and then go into the season with Sheahan, Cullen, Blueger, with an outside shot Bellerive pushes for a spot, and a guy like Dea, Johnson, and DiPauli on deck down the line if it got to that point.

I really don't see the need to move Brassard. If he works out at LW you play him there periodically when you get frustrated with Hagelin trying to play a top six role. Last year was the first time since 08/09 that both Sid and Geno each played over 75 games, translation, don't expect it to happen again this year. You need Brassard as the fallback top 6 center, nobody else on the roster can fill that role. Maybe you have a different conversation if Bluger or Bellerive blow up during camp and you expect to get offensive contributions from one of them. Until that happens keep Brassard, see what he can do at LW for possible spot duty, and move forward.
Last edited by pens_CT on Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby steelershark on Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:50 am

FLPensFan wrote:Financials not yet released, but Flower personally announced on Twitter via video that he has signed a 3 year extension with Vegas:

Good for him!
steelershark
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby steelershark on Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:03 pm

On the Pens active roster, they have 8 first round picked players. Not bad for trading away all those picks through the years.
steelershark
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pruezy11881 on Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:25 pm

steelershark wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Financials not yet released, but Flower personally announced on Twitter via video that he has signed a 3 year extension with Vegas:

Good for him!

:thumb:
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Great58 on Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:41 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Brassard is a luxury that almost no team in the NHL is going to have that type of center depth......and there is a reason for it. Brassard is not a 3C, and hasn't been a 3C for quite some time in this league, and doesn't feel he is a 3C now. He wants more playing time. He dropped that hint on locker cleanout day.

I get what you are saying that Brassard is not ready to be a 3C, and he is in a contract year this year. And he'd like to contribute. But I am sure Brassard can also appreciate playing a role on a stacked team that has another Championship in mind. I've never been opposed to the luxury of depth that these teams have had, first in goal and now at center. We have an entire training camp, preseason and season to work it out, and a trade deadline before final rosters need to be set. I think this is a pretty good place to be. Rust would be my trade piece off the active roster at this point in time, and give the team at least until January to settle out with Brassard's role.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby longtimefan on Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:00 pm

As has always been the case, the NHL is a copycat league. HBK changed the thinking a bit. The Caps won last year, with a very good two way third center in Eller. The Leafs gave $11M to Tavares so they can have Kadri play 3C. The Blues went out and got O'Reilly and Bozak to play with Schenn. LA has Kopitar, Carter, and Kempe. Vegas signed Stastny to play with Karlsson and Haula. Winnipeg wanted to keep Stastny so Little could play 3C and Lwry 4th. It's one of the trends in the league. To be able to roll three lines that can produce offense.

The Pens have a full slate of forwards, and if Brassard can play wing, it just allows them more versatility. It would also be difficult to match his cap hit of $3M in any trade for commensurate talent. They have very little cap space. So I think they're done until they get to camp and see what they have.

QUICK MEMORY: Versatility has become a big catchphrase. Badger Bob Johnson was a coach far ahead of his time. I remember when the Badger was hired, he did an interview during the summer about his plans for Mario. Unfortunately, Mario contracted a back infection and missed the first 50+ games, and then the Badger passed away after the season. So he never had a chance to put it into play.

Badger thought Mario could be used as a weapon anywhere on the ice. He talked about having him switch positions throughout the game, taking shifts at each forward position. He even allowed he wouldn't mind seeing Mario on the blue line occasionally. The idea was to create total havoc with any scheme to try to stop Mario. You would have to figure out what postion he was playing at any given time. It would make it tough to shadow him. Obviously, only talents in that stratosphere could even attempt such a thing, but Bader understood the advantage flexibilty coud add to the lineup.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:06 pm

longtimefan wrote:As has always been the case, the NHL is a copycat league. HBK changed the thinking a bit. The Caps won last year, with a very good two way third center in Eller. The Leafs gave $11M to Tavares so they can have Kadri play 3C. The Blues went out and got O'Reilly and Bozak to play with Schenn. LA has Kopitar, Carter, and Kempe. Vegas signed Stastny to play with Karlsson and Haula. Winnipeg wanted to keep Stastny so Little could play 3C and Lwry 4th. It's one of the trends in the league. To be able to roll three lines that can produce offense.

The Pens have a full slate of forwards, and if Brassard can play wing, it just allows them more versatility. It would also be difficult to match his cap hit of $3M in any trade for commensurate talent. They have very little cap space. So I think they're done until they get to camp and see what they have.

QUICK MEMORY: Versatility has become a big catchphrase. Badger Bob Johnson was a coach far ahead of his time. I remember when the Badger was hired, he did an interview during the summer about his plans for Mario. Unfortunately, Mario contracted a back infection and missed the first 50+ games, and then the Badger passed away after the season. So he never had a chance to put it into play.

Badger thought Mario could be used as a weapon anywhere on the ice. He talked about having him switch positions throughout the game, taking shifts at each forward position. He even allowed he wouldn't mind seeing Mario on the blue line occasionally. The idea was to create total havoc with any scheme to try to stop Mario. You would have to figure out what postion he was playing at any given time. It would make it tough to shadow him. Obviously, only talents in that stratosphere could even attempt such a thing, but Bader understood the advantage flexibilty coud add to the lineup.

That's one of the things I actually like about Sullivan switching up some lines last year. If you can find pairs of wingers who work well together.....then switch up the centers. For example, Guentzel-Sprong, Hagelin-Hornqvist, ZAR-Kessel, Cullen-Rust. Assume those are your wing pairs.......switch up who the center is throughout the game. Give ZAR-Kessel some shifts with Crosby, instead of rolling them out with Brassard at 3C every shift.

Sullivan was doing that at times last season, I believe due to injury as well as to get some players more playing time. I think that is a concept that could cause some confusion for teams, if those winger pairs each provide different dynamics.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby dark_forces on Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:41 pm

Anyone have insight into what the new TIOPS article says?
dark_forces
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby lemieuxReturns on Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:42 pm

I think Chicago is making room for Panarin rather than Pach. If you are Columbus, you are doing everything you can to not have an asset walk away this summer for nothing like Tavares just did.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Great58 on Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:51 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:I think Chicago is making room for Panarin rather than Pach.

I've heard the theory that Bowman has been plotting to reunite them all in Chicago, but if they traded Panarin because they weren't going to be able to afford him on his UFA contract, why would they now be able to do that? Surely it would have been easier to have kept Panarin and picked up the struggling Saad down the road if this were truly their intentions, and saved some money along the way.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby LimerickPensFan on Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:53 pm

Great58 wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:I think Chicago is making room for Panarin rather than Pach.

I've heard the theory that Bowman has been plotting to reunite them all in Chicago, but if they traded Panarin because they weren't going to be able to afford him on his UFA contract, why would they now be able to do that? Surely it would have been easier to have kept Panarin and picked up the struggling Saad down the road if this were truly their intentions, and saved some money along the way.

They did get rid of Hossa's baggage.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby lemieuxReturns on Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:42 pm

Great58 wrote:

Three reasons.
1, they do not have Hossa anymore.
2, the cap has gone up
3, and most importantly... Panarin is showing he doesnt necessarily care about the money and wants to play in Chicago or a few other select places.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Great58 on Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:45 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:
Great58 wrote:

Three reasons.
1, they do not have Hossa anymore.
2, the cap has gone up
3, and most importantly... Panarin is showing he doesnt necessarily care about the money and wants to play in Chicago or a few other select places.

Maybe, but two of the three things could have been predicted and the last gleaned from conversations with him and his agent.
I could see Panarin in SJ, Miami or Vegas.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:54 pm

dark_forces wrote:Anyone have insight into what the new TIOPS article says?

Not much that I really want to believe:

--Says Rutherford has been in pursuit of trade since mid-June, but tough sledding (ok, sure believable).
--Says Penguins still have interest in Skinner, but believed Tristan Jarry would need to be added as a 2nd/3rd piece (believable)
--Says Rutherford was unwilling to build a package centered around Brian Rust (Hmmm....not as believable)
--Says things got difficult once Carolina signed Calving de Haan, as it is believed Rutherford was working a Skinner for Maatta swap, based on guarantee Skinner signed extension. (Sorry, you lost me. Our GM isn't Marc Bergevin. Have an extremely hard time believing Rutherford moves his youngest top 4 d-man for Skinner, but won't part with Brian Rust.....erm, no)

On Brassard
---Says Penguins are telling teams they are not trading him. Says they take calls and listen to offers, but general idea is they are not moving him.
---Penguins are encouraged by Brassard stepping up and saying he is open to playing wing, as that is a bigger switch for a career center at 31 years old in a contract year.
---General belief is Brassard wants to be here, even if it means a reduction in role.
---On the trade front, TIOPS says Brassard would want to stay in the 8, and is not keen on returning to Canada. Says most of his 8 team no trade list is made of Canadian teams, including, the Canadians....so consider that anytime someone says Brassard for Pacioretty....Habs rumored to be on his no-no list.
---Mentions that Brassard being tried at wing is one of the worst kept secrets (was it really a secret). Likely won't be a permanent thing, but a way to give more flexibility in the lineup.
---Says coaching staff has studied tape, trying to find best 3C fit for Brassard. Supposedly looked a lot a the makeup of Pouliot-Brassard-Zucarello line that had success in NY.

On Jack Johnson:
--Says don't be surprised if you seem a Dumoulin-Johnson pairing at times. TIOPS says they want to reduce Letang's minutes and that is one way this may be done.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins