SCP18 Game 1 vs Flyers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

SCP18 Game 1 vs Flyers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:32 am

Pens shoot down the Flyers 7-0

- One game down, 15 more to go to dance with Lord Stanley’s Cup
- Murray made key saves when called upon, especially early in the game and now has three straight playoff shutouts!
- Sid’s natural hatty was special. On his 3rd goal, Sid got rubbed out along the boards, but quickly gets back into the play to tip in a great shot/pass by Dumo….. Loved the no cele
- Geno’s goal was him galloping at his best. Geno was peeved about the call, channeled the energy & just made an amazing play
- Read that a lot of people wanted Rust slotted lower in the lines… HCMS was right again, Rust is clutch!
- Pens were the better team by far, but it was two or three early bounces (puck luck) that opened this game up…. Pens first two goals went in off the lucky side of posts…
- Team D was key… players tracking back hard, no long shifts & very few stupid giveaways
- Flyers got some big hits in last night… Horny, Letang, Guentzel…. Pens are going to have to be careful as they can’t afford to lose anyone
- Pens 4th line AND PK were dominant. I’d almost have like to have seen them more late in this "laugher"
- Oleksiak’s big hit and his challenge to Simmonds early on was a beautiful thing. Having a giant stabled near your own net… dare I say its Chara-esque?
- Expect a big pushback from the Flyers in game 2
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: SCP18 Game 1 vs Flyers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Weegie on Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:52 am

It was a thing of beauty, I loved every minute of it.

"It was a close game until the faceoff".
Weegie
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby lemieuxReturns on Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:18 am

Does anyone have video of the big hit on couturier? Watching NBCSN, the announcers made a big deal about how big it was and Pierre said it was clean, but the camera never caught it and NBC never replayed it.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Penspal on Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:47 am

lemieuxReturns wrote:Does anyone have video of the big hit on couturier? Watching NBCSN, the announcers made a big deal about how big it was and Pierre said it was clean, but the camera never caught it and NBC never replayed it.

CBC feed didn't show it either, crowd reacted like it was lights out for whomever got hit, didn't think it was Couterier.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby THEREALpittsburghpenguins on Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:59 am

I think it was against lindblom
THEREALpittsburghpenguins
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby longtimefan on Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:04 am

Penspal wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:Does anyone have video of the big hit on couturier? Watching NBCSN, the announcers made a big deal about how big it was and Pierre said it was clean, but the camera never caught it and NBC never replayed it.

CBC feed didn't show it either, crowd reacted like it was lights out for whomever got hit, didn't think it was Couterier.

I couldn't tell who it was at the game, and I didn't have a great view. The Pens broadcast does have a shot of the hit away from the play. He caught him clean with every pound he has right where the glass curves. Errey made the comment how bad it could have been before they started using curved glass. It was Lindblom. Nobody showed a replay because the next stoppage was Sid's HT goal.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:11 am

Yo, Sid and Evgeni- penguins still breaking goalies. It’s what they do.
15 more!
Matt Murray with the early fabulous save- clutch.
Dumoulin, Letang, all defense giving them no space. Ruhwedel played well.
All of the defense answered the question of the penguin defense. :D
Jake Guentzel ; one of my post season worries… :oops:

Short memories ~ the pens can play better. Power play and suffacating D.

A concern is Phil. He doesn’t appear to have normal strength in passing/shots. Here is hoping he lays his particular type of pain on the flyers tomorrow.
There is a sweet joy in beating the flyers~
Last edited by penny lane on Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:17 am

--I think all da switchez haz been flipped.
--Very solid effort all around, from forwards, to defense to goaltending. I'm sure there were some mistakes made along the way, some bad plays, etc, but this team looked very hungry and ready to play a full 60 minute game.
--In terms of negatives, only things I really saw is that both Crosby and Maatta made a lot of lazy or rushed clears in the first half of the game that led to some of Philly's best scoring chances.
--Good to see the playoff scorers like Rust, Guentzel, and Hagelin get on the board early, and the stars made a big impact. Balanced scoring.
--Scary thought is that Kessel and Hornqvist didn't score.....you know they'll get theirs.
--It's one game, but I thought Chad Ruhwedel may have been an unsung hero on the defense. I thought he had a simple but very solid game for a 3rd pairing d-man. Oleksiak also looked a lot like the player we first got who was paired with Cole.....very solid as well, and that is a big key, because 3rd pairing defense is usually what teams are able to expose and attack.
--Flyers star players were just very quiet. I know they didn't score a goal, but I don't even remember a lot of good scoring chances from Giroux, Simmonds, Voracek, and Couturier. Seemed more to be Konecny, Laughton, and others that had the better scoring chances.
--Props to Murray silencing critics (including me). He was dialed in last night and made some huge saves. His rebound control was really good as well.

It's one game, and I expect a big pushback from Philly, but, they have their work cut out for them.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Jim on Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:29 am

longtimefan wrote:
Penspal wrote:

I couldn't tell who it was at the game, and I didn't have a great view. The Pens broadcast does have a shot of the hit away from the play. He caught him clean with every pound he has right where the glass curves. Errey made the comment how bad it could have been before they started using curved glass. It was Lindblom. Nobody showed a replay because the next stoppage was Sid's HT goal.

They showed the replay on the regular ATT broadcast, tight on Oleksiak and who got hit into the "corner". They also had a good shot of whoever got knocked face-first into the bench.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IntangibleBeer on Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:08 am

As the Mountain Dew commercial says:

"No one can stop me. I'm all the way up."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve on Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:23 am

I listened to much of the game on the way home, I love that the old 29er lost his mind when Sid scored that ridiculous backhand goal. In addition to Sid and Geno, they were also raving about Guentzel, sounds like for good reason. I'm going to watch the replay sometime today/this evening.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Penspal on Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:52 am

Steve wrote:I listened to much of the game on the way home, I love that the old 29er lost his mind when Sid scored that ridiculous backhand goal. In addition to Sid and Geno, they were also raving about Guentzel, sounds like for good reason. I'm going to watch the replay sometime today/this evening.

The NHL and YouTube have an agreement now, so you can watch the compressed games (if you don't get to see the full game in all its glory).
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Southern Fan on Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:04 am

Almost feels like the 82 game pre season has ended and the 2017-2018 season started last night
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Durbano on Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:40 am

Shades of game 5 against Ottawa and game 5 against Nashville.

I expect this to be like the 2000 series against Washington. The Pens also opened that one with a 7-0 win (on the road), but the remaining games were decided by one goal apiece.

The slew-foot on ZAR is suspension worthy but I know better.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:45 am

Obviously, that game was just about as good as it possibly could have been, but in order to keep my expectations grounded, here are some negative thoughts:

--The #1 PP unit didn't look good. They did well entering the zone and getting set up, but then proceeded to make bad decisions once they did. Very static in their movement and passing. The 2nd unit, though, looked pretty sharp.
--I'm not sure about the Sheary-Brassard-Kessel line in terms of defense and puck management. Kessel also went back to looking a bit uncomfortable shooting and handling the puck.
--The stats were close to even by the end, but for much of the game, the Pens were getting killed on faceoffs. I remember one time in the 2nd period when the Flyers won 3 or 4 draws in a row in the Pens' zone and were getting shots from the point through, but Murray absorbed each one without giving up a rebound. Sullivan finally threw out Sheahan to win a draw, but sequences like that tend to at least end up in good scoring chances (if not goals) more often than not.
--After Rust's goal, I thought the Flyers really carried play up until Murray stopped Laughton on that open net. They were pressuring the Pens into turnovers in their own end and the neutral zone. Of course, Laughton flubbed it, Hagelin scored soon after, and the Pens were cruising, but I felt like the game was in the balance there for a little while. If the Flyers bring that same game from the start on Friday (and I think they will come out flying), the Pens are going to have to be much better managing the puck and riding out that wave of pressure.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby brwi on Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:48 am

THEREALpittsburghpenguins wrote:I think it was against lindblom

It was against Lindblom. I replayed it during a commercial and Olesiak really rocked him, clean. The scary part was it was right near the infamous obstruction post that is a real hazard for players.
Last edited by brwi on Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby brwi on Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:52 am

Steve wrote:I listened to much of the game on the way home, I love that the old 29er lost his mind when Sid scored that ridiculous backhand goal. In addition to Sid and Geno, they were also raving about Guentzel, sounds like for good reason. I'm going to watch the replay sometime today/this evening.

Guentzel was backchecking like a demon and made several good defensive plays in the Pens' end, in addition to his production on offense. He lookjed damn good last night. Forslund and Pierre were also giving him props.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby itissteeltime on Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:23 pm

Does anyone have a clip of the Malkin non-goal? The one that would have been the sweetest goal of the game, that I think resulted in a shot off the post. Obviously they never showed a replay.
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Stillerz Bar on Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:30 pm

- Love, Love, LOVE seeing Sid add to his collection of "whack it out of the air" goals. We've seen others do that once or twice I don't know if there has ever been a player that does it as often. It truly is amazing!!
- I thought Jake played the most complete game of any Penguin last night. His offensive stats speak for themselves but he seems to always be involved in the Defensive aspect of the game as well. He broke up plays, took away the puck and was a general pest all over the ice.
- Geno's goal made me laugh & cheer at the same time. I love it when he gets pissed and decides to take over. He thought the penalty was BS and it showed when he got back on the ice.
- Murray never ceases to amaze me. In his post game interview they asked him when he knew he was in the zone and his reply was something along the lines of You're never in the zone in the playoffs, each situation has to be handled on it's own and then you move on to the next one. It's no wonder he has had the kind of post season success that he has.
- Sid's post game interview was also a good sign - happy to get the win but no gloating and focused completely on what they need to improve on....it was like he was reading this board during the game with the list he ticked off :)

On a side note - Good for MAF who also got a shutout last night. The expansion draft left us little choice on moving him and he deserves to be starting somewhere but he is just an all around good guy and will always be one of my favorite Pens. In Vegas he even gets his own chocolate statue :)

Stillerz Bar
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Risto on Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:44 pm

Geno's goal last night stands shoulder-to-shoulder in Pens playoffs history with Mario's evisceration of Shawn Chambers in '91. Maybe Mario gets a very, very slight edge because his happened in the Finals.
Risto
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby itissteeltime on Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:06 pm

Risto wrote:Geno's goal last night stands shoulder-to-shoulder in Pens playoffs history with Mario's evisceration of Shawn Chambers in '91. Maybe Mario gets a very, very slight edge because his happened in the Finals.

His goal was sweet, but I don't think they're comparable. This was just a terribly botched play by the Flyers goalie in a blowout game. His non-goal off the post a bit later on was far more impressive.
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Risto on Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:42 pm

itissteeltime wrote:
Risto wrote:Geno's goal last night stands shoulder-to-shoulder in Pens playoffs history with Mario's evisceration of Shawn Chambers in '91. Maybe Mario gets a very, very slight edge because his happened in the Finals.

His goal was sweet, but I don't think they're comparable. This was just a terribly botched play by the Flyers goalie in a blowout game. His non-goal off the post a bit later on was far more impressive.

I'm sure Chambers and Neil Wilkinson would tell you Mario's goal was also a "botched play", where they failed to gap up. tomato / tom-ah-to
Risto
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Cow_Master66 on Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:10 pm

IMO there's almost no way Philly will be able to get back into this series with their goaltending. Just imagine how deflating it will be if they put together a few good shifts, maybe get a lead by a goal or 2 or 3, yet have (insert any Philly goalie name here) _______ who sucks just wilts under the pressure and lets in a stinker. Their lack of having even an average goalie will just ruin them mentally and the biggest reason I picked the Pens in 4.

Hakstol reminds me a lot of Mike Johnson...No adjustments, no emotion from the coach, and you can see/feel it translating to the players.
Cow_Master66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:46 pm

itissteeltime wrote:

I tend to agree. It was a fabulous goal, but, from that distance and that angle, for where the shot was placed.....it's just as much bad goaltending as it is a good shot by Geno.

Lookup Malkin's backhand goal years back against Carolina, where he got the hat trick in the playoffs. In tight, between the goal line and the outer circle of the faceoff circle, steep inclined short side shot in a tight space.

On the goal last night, Malkin is on the outer edge of the faceoff circle, in line with the actual faceoff dot....a good 10 feet further out from the net. It's still a great shot, and they didn't show the right angle to see this....but Elliott already looks to be cheating to the blocker side, probably realizing that Malkin has almost no chance of getting a shot off on his forehand. He's cheating that way and still can't stop it. From that distance, I just think that is a bad goal to give up. Still a good shot, but not great goaltending either.....
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Risto on Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:04 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
itissteeltime wrote:

I tend to agree. It was a fabulous goal, but, from that distance and that angle, for where the shot was placed.....it's just as much bad goaltending as it is a good shot by Geno.

Lookup Malkin's backhand goal years back against Carolina, where he got the hat trick in the playoffs. In tight, between the goal line and the outer circle of the faceoff circle, steep inclined short side shot in a tight space.

On the goal last night, Malkin is on the outer edge of the faceoff circle, in line with the actual faceoff dot....a good 10 feet further out from the net. It's still a great shot, and they didn't show the right angle to see this....but Elliott already looks to be cheating to the blocker side, probably realizing that Malkin has almost no chance of getting a shot off on his forehand. He's cheating that way and still can't stop it. From that distance, I just think that is a bad goal to give up. Still a good shot, but not great goaltending either.....

You guys are weird with your over-analysis.
Risto
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins