Stewie Griffin Postgame: Pens Pound Flyers 7-0 (R1, G1)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Stewie Griffin Postgame: Pens Pound Flyers 7-0 (R1, G1)

Postby netwolf on Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:08 am

Credit to [redacted] for the sweet Pens-centric pic.
Stewie Griffin wrote:Now then, I’m going to do something I call the “compliment sandwich”, where I say something good, then talk about where you need improvement, and then end with something good.

Pens vs Flyers, a 7-0 win

Something good: Pretty much everything? Geno was galloping, Crosby was doing Crosby things, Letang and Murray looked like themselves again, and they walloped the hated Flyers to go up 1-0 in the series. All started by Conor Sheary putting a Flyer on his wallet. Craziness!

Where they need improvement: I guess to nitpick, there were a couple of puck management issues. The biggest offense was the one that led to Murray's biggest save (assist to the Flyer fanning on his first attempt). Just need to tighten things up a touch.

Something good: Special teams were great. The second power play got on the board, staking the team to 1 for 4 on the night and the much maligned penalty was a perfect 4 for 4 and allowed no shots on goal. To be fair, the Flyers getting no shots on the PP is at least partly on them, and that's not going to continue, but this was a good first step for a group that's been up and down all year.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Stewie Griffin Postgame: Pens Pound Flyers 7-0 (R1, G1)

Postby Faubert5 on Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:59 am

Good: I don't recall swearing at Kris Letang last night.

Bad: Puck management was a little iffy at times but compared to parts of the season, it's hard to call that bad.

Great: Murray looked like playoff Murray.
Faubert5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Postby Humperdink on Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:24 am

Good: Nothing sweeter than to beat the Flyers by a wide margin.

Bad: Not a whole lot.

Good: The Flyer faithful (an oxymoron if there ever was one) mock Crosby at every opportunity. How fitting it was that #87 put an exclamation point on the win.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Daniel on Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:58 am

netwolf wrote:Image
Credit to [redacted] for the sweet Pens-centric pic.
Stewie Griffin wrote:Now then, I’m going to do something I call the “compliment sandwich”, where I say something good, then talk about where you need improvement, and then end with something good.

Pens vs Flyers, a 7-0 win

Something good: Pretty much everything? Geno was galloping, Crosby was doing Crosby things, Letang and Murray looked like themselves again, and they walloped the hated Flyers to go up 1-0 in the series. All started by Conor Sheary putting a Flyer on his wallet. Craziness!

Where they need improvement: I guess to nitpick, there were a couple of puck management issues. The biggest offense was the one that led to Murray's biggest save (assist to the Flyer fanning on his first attempt). Just need to tighten things up a touch.

Something good: Special teams were great. The second power play got on the board, staking the team to 1 for 4 on the night and the much maligned penalty was a perfect 4 for 4 and allowed no shots on goal. To be fair, the Flyers getting no shots on the PP is at least partly on them, and that's not going to continue, but this was a good first step for a group that's been up and down all year.

To add another Good......the crowd noise in the 1st period drowning out Pierre Mcguire was a welcome addition to the night.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Faubert5 on Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:26 am

I would have liked more faceoff wins and a little better performance from the first power play unit but I think those things will work themselves out over the course of the series.
Faubert5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins