Pre-game talk: Game 1 Flyers @ Penguins 4/11/2018

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Pre-game talk: Game 1 Flyers @ Penguins 4/11/2018

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:06 am

A few snippets from Mackey's 20 thoughts today:

--As usual, the first 10 thoughts or so were about the same talk. This time, it was Matt Murray. General takeaway for me is that Murray continues to ride that cocky/confident line and believes in his ability. Said regular season is used to get to the playoffs, and he's not worried about winning individual trophies and putting up award winning stats. Murray "sounds" like he will be ready and zoned in when the puck drops tomorrow.

--One small suggestion Mackey had, which I fully endorse, is putting Aston-Reese backup up with Crosby, and moving Rust to the 4th line. Take a look at ZAR and Simon for a minute. Simon started off towards the bottom, got a chance with Crosby, clicked for a while with Sid, fell off the radar, went down, got more time with Sid and 4th line, and then went to being a scratch. ZAR came up, clicked with Sid, got hurt. He's never gotten another chance back with Sid. He's been stuck on a 4th line that continues to generate no offense. I think Rust and Kuhnhackl worked well together in the past, specifically between Dad. Rust is better than ZAR at creating some chances on his own because of his speed. I think Rust on the 4th line would be a great help to balance out the lines. But, as Mackey says....who is he to argue with a coach that is 8 for 8 in playoff series.

--Interesting note......the player who has played in the most playoff games in the entire NHL since the 2011-2012 season is.....Carl Hagelin. Hagelin mentioned that 1 playoff games equals about 4 regular season games.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Pre-game talk: Game 1 Flyers @ Penguins 4/11/2018

Postby longtimefan on Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:50 am

I expect the decision on ZAR may have something to do with the Pens wanting to run a heavy line. If you recall in the January game in Philly, Sheahan got moved to center Reaves and Kuhnhackl, and they were a force on the forecheck. It's probably unfair to say that the 4th line continues to not produce, simply because Brassard's injury has placed Sheahan back on the 3rd line. I can see both sids of the argument, but I do remember how effective the fourth line was against Philly earlier in the year.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:01 am

While I like to discuss lines as much as the next LGP'er, I don't think the coach will "stick" with anything unless they are really rolling. I think ZAR will get some time with Sid. I think Rust is just too clutch to be only getting 4th line minutes.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Daniel on Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:31 pm

Penspal wrote:While I like to discuss lines as much as the next LGP'er, I don't think the coach will "stick" with anything unless they are really rolling. I think ZAR will get some time with Sid. I think Rust is just too clutch to be only getting 4th line minutes.

I think Rust would be clutch on any line and possibly add some clutch goals to the 4th line. Sheahan has some nice offensive ability and I think Kuhnhackl would do enough.

ZAR and Kuhnhackl might be a bit redundant on the same line (even though ZAR has more offensive upside) and Rust would add a bit of skill and speed.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:30 am

While Sullivan stated all players are game-time decisions tonight, Jooris and Simon stayed on the ice late after practice. Seems likely Brassard will slot back into the lineup tonight.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pronovost19 on Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:49 pm

Hoping for the best. :pop: The time draws near.
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins