Penguins development camp updates

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Penguins development camp updates

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:32 am

Just some random updates as I hear things from reporters at camp:

--Filip Hallander says he is here to take a spot on the NHL roster. Says even though he can play center, he and the Penguins see him as a LW. Also says the smaller ice service will help his style of play, which is going to the net. Per Rossi. Hallander also says he is comfortable at center, and early on today he was at center.

--Both Poulin and Legare are playing RW early on. Penguins PR says Poulin prefers Sam to Samuel.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Penguins development camp updates

Postby penny lane on Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:46 pm

Taylor Haase
@TaylorHaasePGH
·
50m
I asked Sam Poulin if he has preference between wing/center:

"Not really. I just try to play wherever the team wants me to play. I'm comfortable in all three positions."

Besides here :D Taylor is the person to follow for camp news.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:59 pm

3 things that I would love to see happen this season, but never will without injuries:

1) Guentzel with Malkin. (Zucker hasn't worked well there, and there is no reason to have your two best wingers on the same line)
2) McGinn with Crosby (Sid desperately needs a grinder on his line that can dig pucks out of the boards)
3) 2 of Poulin, Hallander, and Legare forcing their way onto this team.

McGinn-Crosby-Rust
Guentzel-Malkin-Kapanen
Hallander-Carter-Legare
ZAR-Blueger-Zohorna
x-Heinen, Rodrigues

This is not a meant as a slight against Zucker, but, it was very evident last year especially in the playoffs that Crosby needs a tougher (not body guard type) guy on his line. That isn't Zucker, although, Zucker might be better than Guentzel at that role at a minimum.

As for the 3rd line, just because they make the team doesn't mean they need to play every game. No reason that Heinen cannot be rotated in for one of Hallander/Legare, and that E-Rod can come in and replace a Legare or a Zohorna. Sullivan needs to be a bit more flexible.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel on Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:14 pm

FLPensFan wrote:3 things that I would love to see happen this season, but never will without injuries:

1) Guentzel with Malkin. (Zucker hasn't worked well there, and there is no reason to have your two best wingers on the same line)
2) McGinn with Crosby (Sid desperately needs a grinder on his line that can dig pucks out of the boards)

McGinn-Crosby-Rust
Guentzel-Malkin-Kapanen
Hallander-Carter-Legare
ZAR-Blueger-Zohorna
x-Heinen, Rodrigues

This is not a meant as a slight against Zucker, but, it was very evident last year especially in the playoffs that Crosby needs a tougher (not body guard type) guy on his line. That isn't Zucker, although, Zucker might be better than Guentzel at that role at a minimum.

As for the 3rd line, just because they make the team doesn't mean they need to play every game. No reason that Heinen cannot be rotated in for one of Hallander/Legare, and that E-Rod can come in and replace a Legare or a Zohorna. Sullivan needs to be a bit more flexible.

If Hallander has the necessary grit it would be great for the franchise for him to earn a spot with Sid. It would be nice to see Hallander, Poulin, Legare force their way on the lineup. That would allow trades of Rust and Zucker and free up some needed cap space while at the same time making the team younger.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby murphydump55 on Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:08 pm

FLPensFan wrote:3 things that I would love to see happen this season, but never will without injuries:

McGinn-Crosby-Rust
Guentzel-Malkin-Kapanen
Hallander-Carter-Legare
ZAR-Blueger-Zohorna
x-Heinen, Rodrigues

Where is Zucker playing in your lineup?

You know Sullivan is going to piss everyone off and play him with Malkin when healthy lol.
murphydump55
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:23 pm

murphydump55 wrote:

McGinn-Crosby-Rust
Guentzel-Malkin-Kapanen
Hallander-Carter-Legare
ZAR-Blueger-Zohorna
x-Heinen, Rodrigues

You know Sullivan is going to piss everyone off and play him with Malkin when healthy lol.

This goes back to the sentiment I have had for some time that the Penguins just don't have the right mix of wingers to compliment their centers.

1) Crosby needs a Kunitz type winger on his line. Someone with hands that can bang bodies and get pucks out of the boards. Rust used to be an adequate but not great winger to do this task, but, as his scoring has soared the last few years, his willingness to throw the body and win board battles has dropped significantly.

2) Zucker doesn't work well with Malkin. He just doesn't. I'd be fine with Zucker swapping with Guentzel. I think Zucker would have more success with Crosby than Malkin. I also think Zucker would be an upgrade over Guentzel in terms of going for pucks in the corners...but I also don't think this is an area of strength for Zucker. Crosby needs someone better than what we have...or maybe someone like McGinn.

3) Rust seems to be tied to the RW. We know he plays both, but, his scoring prowess over the past few seasons has been almost exclusively on the RW. I doubt he gets moved to LW for any reason other than injuries.

4) Even if it isn't for the speed element, this team could use an injection of youth. They have to earn it. I don't want it just handed to them, but if any of Hallander, Poulin, or Legare play lights out in camp/pre-season, only to lose their job to a Rodrigues, Simon, etc...well, I'll actually expect it to happen but won't be happy about it at all.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sigwolf on Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:31 pm

McGinn-Crosby-Rust
Guentzel-Malkin-Kapanen
Hallander-Carter-Legare
ZAR-Blueger-Zohorna
x-Heinen, Rodrigues

While I understand the thought process, I can't imagine any scenario where, with a healthy lineup (which granted, is never going to happen with the Pens), this team would play McGinn, Hallander, and ZAR ahead of Zucker. If you're arguing Zucker should be traded... that's a whole different scenario that just not including him in the 14 dressed forwards.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:03 pm

Sigwolf wrote:

McGinn-Crosby-Rust
Guentzel-Malkin-Kapanen
Hallander-Carter-Legare
ZAR-Blueger-Zohorna
x-Heinen, Rodrigues

While I understand the thought process, I can't imagine any scenario where, with a healthy lineup (which granted, is never going to happen with the Pens), this team would play McGinn, Hallander, and ZAR ahead of Zucker. If you're arguing Zucker should be traded... that's a whole different scenario that just not including him in the 14 dressed forwards.

My intent wasn't to say he isn't going to play or I expect him not to dress. More simply, I don't know where he fits with what I suggested above. Quite frankly, I'd rather have a better board guy (with better hands) than McGinn on Crosby's line, but, we don't have one.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:21 am

Is it ever going to be widly accepted that it isn't that the Pens don't have the right mix of wingers for Malkin, it's that Malkin is not the right center for the VAST majority of wingers? The only winger that Malkin "worked well" with was Neal. At some point you have to accept that it is not the wingers that aren't the fit.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:57 am

Jim wrote:Is it ever going to be widly accepted that it isn't that the Pens don't have the right mix of wingers for Malkin, it's that Malkin is not the right center for the VAST majority of wingers? The only winger that Malkin "worked well" with was Neal. At some point you have to accept that it is not the wingers that aren't the fit.

Well, I think that is an issue in and of its own, honestly. When I say we don't have the correct wingers, I'm more looking at:

1) Our two best scoring wingers, Guentzel and Rust, are playing on the same line. Why?

2) Crosby needs a grinder on his line that can score. Someone who can maintain possession without easily getting bumped off the puck, win board battles to get pucks for Crosby, and have the ability to score at least 15 goals. MAYBE that can be McGinn, but that would require bumping Guentzel or Rust off the line.

3) I envisioned Zucker being a slightly better version of Rust. Unfortunately, Rust became a much better version of himself, and yet Rust makes less. It's not that I don't like Zucker, he's just a redundant piece to me at this point who is the 2nd highest paid winger.

Malkin has worked well with others, but it seems to be for medium stretches and not long periods of time spanning multiple seasons. He was good with Kessel for awhile. He was good with Rust. Heck, he was even pretty good with Hagelin for a bit.

EDIT: One other thing I left out...the team has gotten back to be very position-locked. What I mean is, the team is back to having a bunch of players that are one position players.

Carter can play C & RW.
Blueger can play C & LW.
McGinn is said to play both LW & RW.
Rodrigues can play RW & C.

Am I missing anyone that plays multiple positions, and plays them well? Not just the team proclaiming they can play both sides. Rust hasn't played much LW lately, and he appears to be a much better RW. Guentzel hasn't played RW in 2 seasons. Zucker is a LW. Kapanen is a RW. Heinen...they claim he can play both sides, but most indications are he's a LW.
Last edited by FLPensFan on Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:56 am

Day 2 forward lines:

Puustinen-Poulin-Gruden
Boomhower-Robert-Olson
Hallander-Houde-Legare
Almeida-Svejkovsky-Williams

Poulin played wing yesterday, plays center today. Hallander played center yesterday, plays wing today. Also of note, Felix Robert did some drills with Poulin yesterday. If you aren't familiar with Robert, Penguins signed him to an AHL only deal, and he was Poulin's main center when Poulin was at Sherbrooke. Them have pretty good chemistry together and it wouldn't surprise me to see Poulin and Robert on a line together in WBS this season.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ville5 on Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:09 pm

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2021 ... ckness-dwm
Legare worked with a nutritionist this off-season and dropped 15 pounds. He also worked with power skating instructors and feels his first few steps are improved.

"I think I'm more quick," Legare said Sunday, after Day 2 of the Penguins' development camp at UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex. "My first three, four, five steps are quicker. One of my weaknesses last year was my (lack of a) quick start. Now, maybe, I've improved it, so it's going to be good for my game."

The Penguins list Legare as being 6-foot, 205 pounds, a weight with which he said he is comfortable.

"I'm pretty happy where I'm at now," he said. "The way I play -- the power-forward game -- I don't need to be lower. I'm at my best weight, I think."
ville5
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:26 pm

A question I have for the board is...let's say one of Legare, Poulin, or Hallander are able to force their way onto the team out of camp...but only one of them. Who would you like to see?

--Legare is a RW only. He likely has the most offensive upside of the 3 players. He is also likely the worst defensively out of the 3.

--Poulin and Hallander are both LW/C, and Poulin can play RW as well. Both project to be LWs at the NHL level. Poulin and Hallander are more well-rounded than Legare. Poulin seems to have a bit more offensive upside than Hallander, but Hallander seems to play a bit heavier game, going to the net often.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel on Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:50 pm

FLPensFan wrote:A question I have for the board is...let's say one of Legare, Poulin, or Hallander are able to force their way onto the team out of camp...but only one of them. Who would you like to see?

--Legare is a RW only. He likely has the most offensive upside of the 3 players. He is also likely the worst defensively out of the 3.

--Poulin and Hallander are both LW/C, and Poulin can play RW as well. Both project to be LWs at the NHL level. Poulin and Hallander are more well-rounded than Legare. Poulin seems to have a bit more offensive upside than Hallander, but Hallander seems to play a bit heavier game, going to the net often.

Hallander would be my choice. First off, he plays a heavier game so can move up and down the lineup. Another reason is that he's played the last two seasons in professional hockey. In the Finnish elite league while playing all but 1 game last year and was 2nd on his team in goals scored.

I also think Poulin and Legare have a better upside so if there is any doubt, they should start the season at WBS. Best case scenario though would be all 3 forcing the Penguins to trade guys like Rust and Zucker to make room for them.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Posterboy on Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:12 am

Daniel wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:A question I have for the board is...let's say one of Legare, Poulin, or Hallander are able to force their way onto the team out of camp...but only one of them. Who would you like to see?

Hallander would be my choice. First off, he plays a heavier game so can move up and down the lineup. Another reason is that he's played the last two seasons in professional hockey. In the Finnish elite league while playing all but 1 game last year and was 2nd on his team in goals scored.

I also think Poulin and Legare have a better upside so if there is any doubt, they should start the season at WBS. Best case scenario though would be all 3 forcing the Penguins to trade guys like Rust and Zucker to make room for them.

I think Hallander played for Lulea in the Swedish Elite Leaugue the last few years but I agree with everything you wrote even though I've seen very little of any of them. I'd like to see him start on the 4th line and move up as needed with injuries. I really think having played against older competition puts him ahead of Poulin and Legare at this point. Please don't confuse that with who might have the higher ceining in the long run. Plus, I think I'd be awesome to see Poulin centering Legare down in WBS for the time being.
Posterboy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jim on Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:18 am

I would be fine with any of the three as it would show Sullivan making changes to his stubborn form. But...

I'm going to go with Hallander first. I don't expect a Hornqvist clone, but I would like to see if he is willing to do some of what Hornqvist did. Second would be Legare. I'd like to see if he is willing to get pushy with opposing D and back checkers. Third would be Poulin.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:18 am

I would also agree that Hallander seems to be the best choice. 3 years of pro experience in Sweden, he's the oldest of the 3 players. While he may not have the offensive upside of Poulin or Legare, he's the most complete player right now. He's good in every zone, and being responsible defensively and without the puck is something Sullivan values. He is supposed to be pretty aggressive forechecker as well.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:44 am

FLPensFan wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:

McGinn-Crosby-Rust
Guentzel-Malkin-Kapanen
Hallander-Carter-Legare
ZAR-Blueger-Zohorna
x-Heinen, Rodrigues

This goes back to the sentiment I have had for some time that the Penguins just don't have the right mix of wingers to compliment their centers.

1) Crosby needs a Kunitz type winger on his line. Someone with hands that can bang bodies and get pucks out of the boards. Rust used to be an adequate but not great winger to do this task, but, as his scoring has soared the last few years, his willingness to throw the body and win board battles has dropped significantly.

2) Zucker doesn't work well with Malkin. He just doesn't. I'd be fine with Zucker swapping with Guentzel. I think Zucker would have more success with Crosby than Malkin. I also think Zucker would be an upgrade over Guentzel in terms of going for pucks in the corners...but I also don't think this is an area of strength for Zucker. Crosby needs someone better than what we have...or maybe someone like McGinn.

3) Rust seems to be tied to the RW. We know he plays both, but, his scoring prowess over the past few seasons has been almost exclusively on the RW. I doubt he gets moved to LW for any reason other than injuries.

4) Even if it isn't for the speed element, this team could use an injection of youth. They have to earn it. I don't want it just handed to them, but if any of Hallander, Poulin, or Legare play lights out in camp/pre-season, only to lose their job to a Rodrigues, Simon, etc...well, I'll actually expect it to happen but won't be happy about it at all.

Still doesn't answer where you are placing Zucker. I know the easy out is to say "trade," but, haven't they been trying that for over a year now? As long as he's here, he's gonna be playing. I suggest 3rd line with Carter. Although, I thought he played well with Crosby when first arriving here.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:49 am

I would love to see a winger come in like Guentzel did and just start lighting it up. So, my vote goes to Legare.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:49 am

Pitts wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:

McGinn-Crosby-Rust
Guentzel-Malkin-Kapanen
Hallander-Carter-Legare
ZAR-Blueger-Zohorna
x-Heinen, Rodrigues

Still doesn't answer where you are placing Zucker. I know the easy out is to say "trade," but, haven't they been trying that for over a year now? As long as he's here, he's gonna be playing. I suggest 3rd line with Carter. Although, I thought he played well with Crosby when first arriving here.

Injured. Zucker is injured. Problem solved. Maybe he'll play RD on the 3rd pairing instead. Where Zucker is wasn't the point of the post, which had been stated a few times.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:51 am

FLPensFan wrote:
Pitts wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:

McGinn-Crosby-Rust
Guentzel-Malkin-Kapanen
Hallander-Carter-Legare
ZAR-Blueger-Zohorna
x-Heinen, Rodrigues

Injured. Zucker is injured. Problem solved. Maybe he'll play RD on the 3rd pairing instead. Where Zucker is wasn't the point of the post, which had been stated a few times.

LOL! Point taken. Will you be doing the injuring? :)

Also, I don't always read the entire thread before replying to what I read ... :wink:
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:10 pm

I know a guy who knows a guy that can do the injuring...

FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Puck-Lurker on Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:30 pm

FLPensFan wrote:I know a guy who knows a guy that can do the injuring...

This just in: Zucker injured while mowing his lawn.

(no not really..)
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Wyopen on Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:29 pm

In years past, there has always been a daily update regarding prospect camp, don’t know why this is no longer available. Does anyone have any first-hand information on the prospects and their performance? Thanks.
Wyopen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:46 pm

Wyopen wrote:In years past, there has always been a daily update regarding prospect camp, don’t know why this is no longer available. Does anyone have any first-hand information on the prospects and their performance? Thanks.

I think attendance is still rather limited due to COVID. This year is also a bit different because they aren't playing another team this year. One person wrote on Twitter that, we know our prospects aren't great. No sense in trotting them out against another team with a deep prospect pool.

All I know is what I have read second-hand. Main things that stuck out were both Hallander and Cam Lee proclaiming they are here to win an NHL job. In terms of overall performance, I also noticed they were doing a lot of small scale work, where nets are placed in one offensive zone at the far RW and far LW boards. Haven't seen a ton of full length of the ice videos.

NHL regulars started showing up today, and there was a pretty full (but not all) compliment of the NHL guys on the other rink just skating and loosening up.

Crosby was skating with Ty Hennes today.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins