Cap drop by 40%?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: Cap drop by 40%?

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:34 pm

100565 wrote:The NHL should be trying to turn a very negative situation into long-term positive.

No one has had any sports. People got to be craving....

The NFL will be in offseason. MLB will probably start around the same time, but it is sooo early in the season the games are not too exciting (admittedly, I do not like watching baseball - not even playoffs). The NBA will in similar situation to NHL.

In marketing, life changing events (baby, wedding, graduation, etc..the reason for free baby and wedding registries) are a great opportunity to gain new, life-long customers for retail. The virus has been life changing event for all.

If the NHL can get games in ASAP (but safe); highly competitive games ala playoff hockey or season ending hockey, they could draw many new, life-long customers. I think lots of people will watch the first pro sporting events after quanratine; however, the product has to be exciting and engaging to keep them coming back. My thought, if games are played, they should incorporate some of the sensor data the players wear. It would have to be very well designed. Also, TV schedule has to be full of playoff teams fighting for a spot - they cannot televise Wings vs Sens...let those games go to local TV.

On a side note, I enjoy hockey, but I will be irate when NFL, NHL, MLB, and NBA get some bailout money!!! Others need the money more. Pro sports probably needed a kick in the nuts.

The NHL has one problem the NFL does not, and the NBA and MLB has only to a smaller extent....The Canadian border is closed, and to remain closed for the next 30 days minimum. The NHL has more Canadian teams in their league, and Canadian players in their league, than the other leagues combined. With a closed border, I'm not sure how visas would work....not sure how teams currently quarantined in Canada would be allowed to come into the US....even players that went back home to Europe may not yet be allowed into the US.

That's the bigger problem the NHL has.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby 100565 on Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:56 pm

I wasn't meaning to play games in a hurried, unsafe manner.

I think, if the NHL can play in say July, it will be imperative to have a high quality product - ie. very competive games showcasing the skill and toughness of the NHL. If they do that (maybe adding some extra flare with sensor technology), they have a chance to gain new fans which could strengthen the league longterm.

The post was not about having them play games tomorrow; as you stated, the border is not open. There will be no hockey until the border is open.
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Hatrick on Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:23 am

FLPensFan wrote:Latest news from Bettman is that the neutral-site idea has been scrapped, and, from his view, it never really got that far off the ground. Biggest issue was, the neutral sites just weren't ready to host NHL games: not enough stands (if fans allowed), inadequate locker rooms, multiple facility issues, etc.

The latest is that the NHL is looking at using a 4 site rotation, with a site from each division...but that doesn't necessarily mean only games from that conference/division would be played there. Carolina and Edmonton were two of the sites. There was a site for the central division, but I can't remember who it was, and they said Metro division did not have a site named as of yet. This potential

There has also been some discussion about still having the draft in June, but, there are some obvious problems with conditional picks and such, as well as the draft order not being set by normal circumstances.

***Can you imagine if they did a June draft before the season ended, and used a Crosby-draft system to pick the order....and the Penguins won the 1st pick and shot to draft Alex Laferriere***

All indications still point to the current NHL season being finished in some way, and all indications are that the new NHL season WILL NOT start on time.

the article I read had Minnesota as the central division, and Carolina as the metro.

As for the draft, a different article argued for having the draft in June anyway to get themselves in the news and everything. But it also mentioned some of the possible drawbacks(the article actually didn't really talk about the draft order issue, which IMO IS THE BIGGEST ISSUE). But they did bring up a problem I didn't think of, if they want to finish the reason you would not see any draft day trades(at least involving roster players).

Since the Pens traded their first for Zucker that would mean even if they did a Crosby-draft style lottery, we still couldn't win, Minnesota would get that pick. Nice to dream though lol
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel on Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:28 am

Hatrick wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Latest news from Bettman is that the neutral-site idea has been scrapped, and, from his view, it never really got that far off the ground. Biggest issue was, the neutral sites just weren't ready to host NHL games: not enough stands (if fans allowed), inadequate locker rooms, multiple facility issues, etc.

The latest is that the NHL is looking at using a 4 site rotation, with a site from each division...but that doesn't necessarily mean only games from that conference/division would be played there. Carolina and Edmonton were two of the sites. There was a site for the central division, but I can't remember who it was, and they said Metro division did not have a site named as of yet. This potential

There has also been some discussion about still having the draft in June, but, there are some obvious problems with conditional picks and such, as well as the draft order not being set by normal circumstances.

***Can you imagine if they did a June draft before the season ended, and used a Crosby-draft system to pick the order....and the Penguins won the 1st pick and shot to draft Alex Laferriere***

All indications still point to the current NHL season being finished in some way, and all indications are that the new NHL season WILL NOT start on time.

the article I read had Minnesota as the central division, and Carolina as the metro.

As for the draft, a different article argued for having the draft in June anyway to get themselves in the news and everything. But it also mentioned some of the possible drawbacks(the article actually didn't really talk about the draft order issue, which IMO IS THE BIGGEST ISSUE). But they did bring up a problem I didn't think of, if they want to finish the reason you would not see any draft day trades(at least involving roster players).

Since the Pens traded their first for Zucker that would mean even if they did a Crosby-draft style lottery, we still couldn't win, Minnesota would get that pick. Nice to dream though lol

Since they didn't make the playoffs, it's a 2021-22 draft pick.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins