Phil Bourque travels to Czech Republic to Jaromir

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Phil Bourque travels to Czech Republic to Jaromir

Postby penny lane on Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:44 am

Rob Rossi
@Real_RobRossi
·
2h
“I said, ‘Jags, the Penguins want it, the fans want it, Mario wants it — that’s a special night everybody wants for you.’”
Phil Bourque went to see Jaromir Jagr, and lay the groundwork for a homecoming long overdue.
#Pens | ⁦@TheAthleticPGH

Rob Rossi with the article at the Athletic today detailing Phil Bourque's trip to see Jaromir. Here is hoping we get to see him and his #68 raised to the rafters, next to Mario.
I heard Phil talk about this trip after the all star break.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Phil Bourque travels to Czech Republic to Jaromir

Postby no name on Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:29 am

I would love to see this happen.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Defence21 on Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:30 pm

no name wrote:I would love to see this happen.

As would I. It would be a happy reunion, despite the challenges in the relationship over the years.

This begs the question, though, who on the current roster gets his number in the rafters after retirement? Crosby is a lock, and I would think Malkin is almost certain. But what about Letang? If he spends his career here, it would be a very valid question.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:11 pm

Defence21 wrote:

As would I. It would be a happy reunion, despite the challenges in the relationship over the years.

This begs the question, though, who on the current roster gets his number in the rafters after retirement? Crosby is a lock, and I would think Malkin is almost certain. But what about Letang? If he spends his career here, it would be a very valid question.

Letang probably retires as the 5th highest scorer in Penguins history, and all four above him would have that honor. I think you send how his career finishes here, but I wouldn't have an issue with his number up in the rafters.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Daniel on Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:31 pm

Defence21 wrote:

Wouldn't be surprised to see Fleury up there.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:04 pm

21 Briere
66 Lemieux
68 Jagr
87 Crosby
71 Malkin
29 Fleury
58 Letang

Jagr, because he is one of the all-time greats, up there with Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe, Orr, etc.
Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, and Letang, because they were the core for 3 cups and 4 finals appearances, and not to mention they are all Penguins all-time greats.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby lemieuxReturns on Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:18 pm

Man, I would have said "Yes" 1000 times before his last BS move where he decided to go to the Flyers when Shero was in charge... he had some excuse that Tyler Kennedy was more valuable. I still appreciate what he did for us in the 90's but man did he do almost everything in his power to F us every chance he got. I even felt that he was misunderstood and was trying to do the right thing by requesting to be traded as he explained on a few occasions.... all until he had the opportunity to finally come back home and he did a 180 and went to the Flyers.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:31 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:Man, I would have said "Yes" 1000 times before his last BS move where he decided to go to the Flyers when Shero was in charge... he had some excuse that Tyler Kennedy was more valuable. I still appreciate what he did for us in the 90's but man did he do almost everything in his power to F us every chance he got. I even felt that he was misunderstood and was trying to do the right thing by requesting to be traded as he explained on a few occasions.... all until he had the opportunity to finally come back home and he did a 180 and went to the Flyers.

IF you read the article, he talks about going to the Flyers. Bourque says he won't apologize for it, but it was a misunderstanding. He talked to Lemieux and Mario thought it was a done deal, however, when Jagr talked to Shero, Shero wouldn't guarantee him a top 6 role or top PP time, the Flyers were willing to guarantee him that playing time, and the Flyers paid him 1.5M more. I know Jags likes money, but I have a feeling if he got the playing time he asked for, he would have understood the money aspect and came to the Penguins instead.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_CT on Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:33 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:Man, I would have said "Yes" 1000 times before his last BS move where he decided to go to the Flyers when Shero was in charge... he had some excuse that Tyler Kennedy was more valuable. I still appreciate what he did for us in the 90's but man did he do almost everything in his power to F us every chance he got. I even felt that he was misunderstood and was trying to do the right thing by requesting to be traded as he explained on a few occasions.... all until he had the opportunity to finally come back home and he did a 180 and went to the Flyers.

I blame the Flyer fiasco on Shero. He didn't want Jagr here, Mario intervened and Shero countered with a low ball offer that he probably knew would be rejected. 68 belongs in the rafters.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby stonewizard51 on Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:39 pm

I'd be happy as hell to see that happen. Yeah he didn't do the best of things with some of the ways he treated the Pens fans and the organization but I have made peace with it all if for no other reason than he has his name on the Cup twice as a Pen as well as all he accomplished while a Pen. He just deserves to be in the rafters with the other greats who are either there already or will be at some point.
stonewizard51
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:38 pm

F Jagr
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby LimerickPensFan on Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:40 pm

He treated the Pens fans badly?
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby stonewizard51 on Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:04 pm

Not physically rather through perceived indifference. Most fans I know feel let down by his actions. I get the whole bankruptcy thing which was a part of Jagr getting traded but misunderstood things said plus indifference led to hurt feelings on some fans part. Like I said I made my peace with it. It was business and Jags was looking out for himself. Can't blame him for that.
stonewizard51
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:12 pm

I really can't see blaming him for going to the Flyers, either. Shero was showing no interest in him. Why would he come here?
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RentedMule66 on Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:21 pm

Jim wrote:F Jagr

3rd greatest Pen of all time. He deserves the retired # and ceremony. There are so many strange comments about people getting their feelings hurt and the way he treated the fans. It's a business people ...lighten up. No one never knows the whole story and truths behind decisions and closed doors.
RentedMule66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:05 pm

RentedMule66 wrote:

3rd greatest Pen of all time. He deserves the retired # and ceremony. There are so many strange comments about people getting their feelings hurt and the way he treated the fans. It's a business people ...lighten up. No one never knows the whole story and truths behind decisions and closed doors.

Then someone needs to tell us wayward fans so we can have a informed opinion. Otherwise we will run with the information we have.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Antonio on Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:55 pm

Comical. One of the greatest players EVER to play the game and he played the bulk of his career for us. He was one of the 3 greatest players ever to play for us and some fans want to pout like babies because he made decisions he felt were best for him? Not honoring him would show the franchise and fanbase in a negative amateur petty light, not him.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:42 pm

RentedMule66 wrote:

His last season here didn't chang my stance on him one iota. It's old school.

F Jagr.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Lesky on Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:27 am

Jagr DIT NOT make a 180 - thats a myth. The only reason Penguins fans are upset about Jagr not signing with the Pens in 2011 is because they have been fooled by the Pittsburgh media and do not understand the context of Jagrs NHL return. Jagr wanted to return to the NHL to prove he was still an 1st line player, and not on a 1 year farewell tour. The Penguins indicated to Jagr that he had to wait because the Penguins wanted to sign Tyler Kennedy first, that was their priority. As Jagr have said something in terms to:"No disrespect towards Tyler Kennedy, but it showed the Penguins interest was not serious".

To be able to stay in the NHL and play a significant role, Jagr needed to go to a team that would give him 1st line minutes and 1st PP role. The Penguins clearly could not offer that to Jagr, And more so with thinking Tyler Kennedy was more important than Jagr. Further more Jagr said he felt Ray Shero had no real interest in having him on the team. Ray Shero lowballed Jagr and had Tyler Kennedy signed at 2$ million instead.

Shero then removed the Penguins offer to Jagr 10 minutes before free agency begun, so Jagr never could have signed with the Penguins. Its thought Shero did all of this to avoid a backslash from the Penguins fan base for not signing Jagr. Instead lowball Jagr and make him feel unwanted, and then have Jagr become the scapegoat for not returning to Pittsburgh. Any Penguins fans hating on Jagr because of what happened in 2011, needs to understand all of this and direct their anger towards Shero instead, if still feeling bitter about it. Shero could have landed a Penguins legend who went on to have 6 amazing years in the NHL, but failed miserably.

With regards to Jagrs conduct in 2001:

People grow and mature with age, Jagr has certainly changed and he has praised the Penguins every time he has got a chance since he left. Time for Penguins fans to forgive what happened 20 years ago.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Lesky on Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:34 am

This story about Phil Bourque meeting Jagr was reported in the Pittsburgh tribune 14 days ago btw:

https://triblive.com/sports/jaromir-jag ... th-flyers/

Phil Bourque was on a podcast talking about it at 1:02:50:

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/139-rand ... -56664359/
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Lesky on Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:41 am

Btw, Lemieux did a good if not amazing job of hiding his supposed bitterness in the press:

LOS ANGELES – The Pittsburgh Penguins have two retired numbers in their 50-year NHL history but it probably won’t be long before Michel Briere and Mario Lemieux have company in the rafters inside PPG Paints Arena.

It’s been 16 years since Jaromir Jagr’s relationship with the Pittsburgh Penguins ended with the trade to the Washington Capitals. It wasn’t the cleanest of divorces and a lot of acrimony remained between “Mario Jr.” and the fans many years later.

It appeared to have subsided a bit in 2011 when Jagr was planning to return to the NHL after three years in Russia. But while the Penguins pursued him, he rejected their offer and ended up signing with the hated Philadelphia Flyers. Months later, he was greeted with boos upon his return to Pittsburgh where he scored a goal and busted out the old Jagr salute.

But with time, fences mend and the relationship between Jagr and the Penguins has thawed. He’s too important to that franchise to be forgotten, so it’s no surprise that after he was named as one of the 100 Greatest NHL Players on Friday night, Lemieux talked about how he could one day see No. 68 retired by the franchise.

“Oh, absolutely. He’s been a big part of our franchise,” Lemieux said. “He’s won two Cups in Pittsburgh. He’s a Hall of Famer, by far, and I’m sure he’ll be up there eventually.”

Jagr, who was also part of the list, was drafted fifth overall by the Penguins in 1990 and made an immediate impact in his first two NHL seasons helping the franchise win its first two Stanley Cups. Entering the league at 18, he was surrounded by veteran players who were big influences on his career, some of whom were also part of the top 100 list.

“It’s very special. I have to say thanks to those guys [that] I made it,” Jagr said. “They were big help for me — Mario, Ron Francis, Bryan Trottier, Paul Coffey, even Luc, I played a little with him. I never played with Sid. I would have probably more goals by now.”

Lemieux and Jagr, one of the top duos in the NHL during the 1990s, don’t see one another very often these days, so nights like Friday are a great opportunity to catch up and talk about old times.

“We don’t talk a lot but when we see each other we have a good time,” Lemieux said. “He loves life and is always smiling, so it was nice to spend a little time and [he got to] see my wife as well. He hadn’t seen her in a while. It’s always good to see him.”

While he may be turning 45 in less than a month Jagr isn’t to the point where retirement is on his mind. He recently said he’d like to play until he’s 55, which isn’t out of the question considering his dedication to fitness.

“He’s still playing, I can’t believe it,” Lemieux said. “He’s still playing well. He’s in great shape and hopefully he can play a couple more years. [He’s] certainly one of the best ever.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/mario-lem ... ccounter=1
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:22 am

Fences often build up between people. But when those fences are repaired, those people usually end up closer than before. So my answer would be, "Yes. Jagr in the rafters".

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:25 pm

Lesky wrote:

Jagr DIT NOT make a 180 - thats a myth. The only reason Penguins fans are upset about Jagr not signing with the Pens in 2011 is because they have been fooled by the Pittsburgh media and do not understand the context of Jagrs NHL return. Jagr wanted to return to the NHL to prove he was still an 1st line player, and not on a 1 year farewell tour. The Penguins indicated to Jagr that he had to wait because the Penguins wanted to sign Tyler Kennedy first, that was their priority. As Jagr have said something in terms to:"No disrespect towards Tyler Kennedy, but it showed the Penguins interest was not serious".

To be able to stay in the NHL and play a significant role, Jagr needed to go to a team that would give him 1st line minutes and 1st PP role. The Penguins clearly could not offer that to Jagr, And more so with thinking Tyler Kennedy was more important than Jagr. Further more Jagr said he felt Ray Shero had no real interest in having him on the team. Ray Shero lowballed Jagr and had Tyler Kennedy signed at 2$ million instead.

Shero then removed the Penguins offer to Jagr 10 minutes before free agency begun, so Jagr never could have signed with the Penguins. Its thought Shero did all of this to avoid a backslash from the Penguins fan base for not signing Jagr. Instead lowball Jagr and make him feel unwanted, and then have Jagr become the scapegoat for not returning to Pittsburgh. Any Penguins fans hating on Jagr because of what happened in 2011, needs to understand all of this and direct their anger towards Shero instead, if still feeling bitter about it. Shero could have landed a Penguins legend who went on to have 6 amazing years in the NHL, but failed miserably.

With regards to Jagrs conduct in 2001:

People grow and mature with age, Jagr has certainly changed and he has praised the Penguins every time he has got a chance since he left. Time for Penguins fans to forgive what happened 20 years ago.

Well i can get past it. He was my favorite when i was a kid. Everyone loved Mario but Jagr was the one I wanted to be like. I would do everything i could to be there if they did retire the number. I would even break out the giant 6 foot poster from when i was a kid and put it back on the wall again.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:33 pm

Non-Pen NHL games played: 927
Pens games played: 806
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby johnnews on Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:57 pm