Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

Trade Deadline Predictions

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: Trade Deadline Predictions

Postby 100565 on Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:42 pm

longtimefan wrote:Trying to predict what they're going to do is an exercise in futility. It's too fluid. Before the Marino injury, and Schultz' disconcerting comeback, I didn't think they'd bring in another defenseman, unless it was Daley for little return. I still believe he'd be the guy for defensive depth, although I think it's more urgent now. As far as upfront, I think it's TBD. There aren't enough sellers yet. If I were to guess, Zucker and Tatar would seem to be likely suspects. Zucker simply because we keep hearing about it, and Tatar's name has come up frequently recently.

I prefer a hockey trade for someone like Fiala or Domi. I'd also like to see them bring in Foligno to add a bit of size and toughness. He's also a guy who can take a regular shift. He hasn't produced offensively, but he's a stellar defensive forward and penalty killer.

I think the Pens top prospects will be more of a sticking point than the #1 pick. Addison and Poulin both look like they could make the jump quicker than expected based on their development. I also think they'd be very hesitant to move Legare. It's a catch 22. It gives them more valuable movable assets, but it's the first time in a while the Pens have prospects who could conceivably contribute before the Crosby/Malkin window completely shuts.

I think this is quite accurate.

I was thinking a 2-3 weeks before the deadline the Pens' needs would be rather clear; then Marino happened. I also find it highly concerning that Dumo has yet to begin skating.

Unless it is a hockey trade (with decent roster player(s) going the other way), I think the sellers are getting clear. I do NOT think Minnesota will be sellers; they seem to be playing inspired hockey.

Therefore, my prediction has changed. I have no idea who to predict they get. It has got to include at least a depth D man. My preferred remains the same...Top 4 D with forward role player.
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Maestro on Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:37 am

Toffoli & Alec Martinez for AG, 2nd in 2021, Riikola, Sam Miletic

My dream add: Tatar
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:45 am

Maestro wrote:Toffoli & Alec Martinez for AG, 2nd in 2021, Riikola, Sam Miletic

The only concern about Tatar is he's over performing this year compared to his historical numbers. Sounds like a classic case where Montreal sells high and he under performs wherever he goes.
pens_CT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:10 pm

pens_CT wrote:

The only concern about Tatar is he's over performing this year compared to his historical numbers. Sounds like a classic case where Montreal sells high and he under performs wherever he goes.

Anything can change, but Montreal went on record last week and said they aren't moving Tatar or Petry. Unless they get a wow offer, I don't think they plan to move anyone except possibly UFAs. And, there is some talk they won't move Ilya, and will resign/extend him.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Maestro on Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:08 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

Anything can change, but Montreal went on record last week and said they aren't moving Tatar or Petry. Unless they get a wow offer, I don't think they plan to move anyone except possibly UFAs. And, there is some talk they won't move Ilya, and will resign/extend him.

Yeah I saw the report that the Habs were keeping those 2 - makes sense in that dealing 1 or the other is like "giving up" on the season and they seem to think they are on the verge of contending (by next year) - so don't want to send the wrong message.

I think he's the best fit in terms of a "Sully guy" ["Has good speed, tenacity and versatility up front. Can play both wing positions, as well as the ability to be used in a variety of ways." THN] - would hate to give up a 1st, prospect etc. then see the guy on the 4th line playing 3min.

I think Toffoli and Martinez are available as Kings are in mini-rebuild mode at this point. Dumo may be a ways away and hard to say what he looks like on return, considering his game is not speed/skill necessarily, hopefully he's back to normal production. Still AM would be nice insurance considering Sully hates Riikola.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby dark_forces on Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:27 pm

I'm going to go small here.
-- Riikola to Anaheim for Michael Del Zotto. This gives us a legit depth defenseman who is better than Ruhwedel. Similar, in some ways, to the 2015 swap of Despres for Lovejoy.
-- Galchenyuk and a 3rd in 2021 to Nashville for Craig Smith and a 5th in 2020. I think Nashville then turns around and deals Galchenyuk for another draft pick, ultimately netting a pair of 3rds for Smith, or a 2nd and a 3rd.
-- I would also take a hard look at Namesnikov from Ottawa. A speedy, skilled, versatile forward who provides depth and plays on any line.
dark_forces
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins